Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Shaun.

Always one of the First threads I read.:dancer:

manna

I do try to keep it interesting.

Yesterday I lucked out with a D&S GN horsebox kit for 8 quid!:dancer:

I'm going to have to get into brass sooner than later because of that foot bridge. That promises to be interesting!

How's your summer coming along?

regards Shaun

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

I'm good as long as you are not over doing things matey.:good: Keep well, keep safe, keep HAPPY.

Light modeling is the only  thing on my agenda. All other work is on hold.

We milled up and stacked all that wood for the new deck. The new laundry rooms is up and running (Mrs. S'. laid the floor with my supervision and the wood stove rebuild has been pushed back because they sent an incomplete order. The warehouse heating will have to wait until we're out of the woods with this covid situation.

So nothing will get done in there this winter!!

I'll just have to be a miniaturist until my arm get fully better (which is much better BTW).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

G'Day Shaun

Summers going well, only had a couple of hot days, but just pottering along, waiting for a large parcel of stuff from England, so quite a lot of jobs are on hold, this one is slowly taking shape, tourist open brake ( Ex Triang Thompson)

manna

DSCF5540.JPG

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know what I'm on about sometimes.

"Light modeling". This was a huge task making these buildings (I'm still not finished either).

The furniture wasn't no where near enough. This room only has a chair in it.

Maybe it needs to be something else, like a lost property office. Any suggestions??

1957930096_Queensburystation(2).JPG.6c30b1f00b13ccf1f6951e83b944e0f0.JPG

Yesterday was the discipline day. After doing nothing on Monday I slated two rooves then scrounged some more mounting board from Mrs. S. (Shes a graphic design major!) and built two more roof structures, then slated one of those too. The work bench/dining table is starting to look like a model of Stalag Luft Three or something.

1623671195_Queensburystation(3).JPG.23fcc706c588e1c6fe2f71384bf3a63f.JPG

635446695_Queensburystation(4).JPG.b3eb96d14dd322643f0eca9e85733cd9.JPG

For some reason I prefer the backs.

1952427400_Queensburystation(5).JPG.6dd1cc08e3b60ab27803d4167576a189.JPG

I like the way the light throws the shadows of the window framework across the rooms.

126350757_Queensburystation(1).JPG.aadefbd4e33204eeed08f23275fa67c4.JPG

Take care everyone...

Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
Jawohl mien herr
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I cannot find your diagram of what you have as rooms.  I seem to remember a porter's room?  How about a parcels office?  You have a big desk for the Station Master?  What did they have in the original?  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

I cannot find your diagram of what you have as rooms.  I seem to remember a porter's room?  How about a parcels office?  You have a big desk for the Station Master?  What did they have in the original?  

Hi Chris.

No idea what they had in the originals what so ever. The station was closed to passenger traffic in 1955 (I think).

That's 65 years ago and looking at photographs of the people who worked there they're almost certainly long passed away! I can only surmise as to the working life of these structures from close scrupulation of on-line images and stories. Most of the pictures portray them in a rather dilapidated state towards the end of their lives.

My aim is model them as they would have been during WWII. That will enable me to run trains from the late twenties until closure to passenger traffic.

I worked out the layout of the rooms from the chimney positions thus.

DSCF1777.JPG.05e1990c1730666fb17168847b0035c9.JPG

It might be that the Great Northern had first class waiting rooms??? 

The two longer rooms must have been waiting rooms maybe the smaller one was "Ladies Only".

I'm pretty sure the short, smallest room was a ladies room because it adjoins the toilets! for which I have included an internal door.

On my models however things are a bit different, in the longer of the three building at least.

Anyway, I doubt most layouts feature waiting room interiors so I'm hankering on a bit of inaccuracy  going unnoticed in favor of the detail.

Knowing my luck, someone from Queensbury who went to school at Thornton Grammer back in the day, will emerge from the shadows and put me right!

Sometimes I have to remind myself that it's just model trains and too much procrastination doesn't get things done!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 14

G'Day Folks

It always amazed me, with the old stations on how many rooms they had, Booking office, ( sometimes with a small room with a window for 'Pay') staff/porters room, Ladies loo, Gents loo, Ladies waiting room, General waiting room, Station Master office, Goods/Parcels office, Store room, Lamp room, lost property office (bigger stations), some even had, a Drivers and or Guards mess room or two. That should keep you going Shaun.

manna

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

It always amazed me, with the old stations on how many rooms they had, Booking office, ( sometimes with a small room with a window for 'Pay') staff/porters room, Ladies loo, Gents loo, Ladies waiting room, General waiting room, Station Master office, Goods/Parcels office, Store room, Lamp room, lost property office (bigger stations), some even had, a Drivers and or Guards mess room or two. That should keep you going Shaun.

manna

Yes Thanks Manna.

Queensbury had over 30 such rooms. Not forgetting that there was a two storey stone main tation building too. This housed the ticket office, lamp room and most likely the parcels facilities.

That's another grey area. All luggage was carried down the footbridge steps and I can only assume that anything larger was transported down the goods access road and across a barrow crossing onto the Bradford-Halifax platform. A feature not in any photograph. One other possibility is that there was a service lift in the main building!

All very interesting stuff.

Regards Shaun 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Chris.

No idea what they had in the originals what so ever. The station was closed to passenger traffic in 1955 (I think).

That's 65 years ago and looking at photographs of the people who worked there they're almost certainly long passed away! I can only surmise as to the working life of these structures from close scrupulation of on-line images and stories. Most of the pictures portray them in a rather dilapidated state towards the end of their lives.

My aim is model them as they would have been during WWII. That will enable me to run trains from the late twenties until closure to passenger traffic.

I worked out the layout of the rooms from the chimney positions thus.

DSCF1777.JPG.05e1990c1730666fb17168847b0035c9.JPG

It might be that the Great Northern had first class waiting rooms??? 

The two longer rooms must have been waiting rooms maybe the smaller one was "Ladies Only".

I'm pretty sure the short, smallest room was a ladies room because it adjoins the toilets! for which I have included an internal door.

On my models however things are a bit different, in the longer of the three building at least.

Anyway, I doubt most layouts feature waiting room interiors so I'm hankering on a bit of inaccuracy  going unnoticed in favor of the detail.

Knowing my luck, someone from Queensbury who went to school at Thornton Grammer back in the day, will emerge from the shadows and put me right!

Sometimes I have to remind myself that it's just model trains and too much procrastination doesn't get things done!

Regards Shaun.

34 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

manna

Shaun,

Manna is right about the number of types of room, and yes, you are right there would have been a First Class waiting Room, and yes the Ladies Waiting Room would have had a Ladies Toilet off it.  (I know that as I am sure my mum took me into the toilet from the Ladies Waiting Room when I as little.)  There may have also been at some time a refreshment room.

However, looking at all those long deep windows they may well have been waiting rooms, after all, it is 'op North' and it is always raining.

(I had a colleague who came from Yorkshire, and I met her in Manchester.  She said when she worked in London she missed it raining al the time!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Such superb detail Shaun, :good:now if I was modelling that, I would have frosted the windows and said it was a cold morning.:laugh:

TUT!!  Just where are are those standards you were brought up with??  I have had a mind to tell your Headteacher about your lackadaisical attitudes...  Humphhh!

...  and, no another mug of tea just won't sort it...  

Shhh... two mugs might...  ??

Julian

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Such superb detail Shaun, :good:now if I was modelling that, I would have frosted the windows and said it was a cold morning.:laugh:

You're lucky that Andy Y removed that groan icon!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

The world has gone totally mad today. Just had to pull some lady out of the ditch in her motor home with my truck and that was just after telling  my father-in-law it could pull anything! We just watched an on-line auction where one sold for $37,500.  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-ford-f-250-35/

5X what I paid for mine 12 years ago. Nuts!!!

The living room is full of wood stove parts and I just butt dialed my mum in Romford who gave me a bollocking for not wearing a mask while talking to my mate Jim.

The dining table looks like a model of Stallag luft three...

...and then Andy here comes up with the brilliant idea of modeling a frosty morning which could have saved me what seemed like endless evenings being a miniaturist cabinet maker.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I just gave that day a funny icon, because of the contrast of the events of one day, from dragging some lady's Motor Home out of a ditch, to making some delightful replica miniature furniture - and a bollocking from your Mum...  beyond that list ...  speechless.............   :jester:

Julian

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

After going all the way into town to buy two small bolts I now find that the thin steel cable that works the main air vent on our wood stove has broken... Mrs. S. said I should quit for the day and do some modeling instead.

After the day I've had a return to lock down isolation activities seems bizarre!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
On 09/12/2020 at 11:52, ChrisN said:

Shaun,

Manna is right about the number of types of room, and yes, you are right there would have been a First Class waiting Room, and yes the Ladies Waiting Room would have had a Ladies Toilet off it.  (I know that as I am sure my mum took me into the toilet from the Ladies Waiting Room when I as little.)  There may have also been at some time a refreshment room.

However, looking at all those long deep windows they may well have been waiting rooms, after all, it is 'op North' and it is always raining.

(I had a colleague who came from Yorkshire, and I met her in Manchester.  She said when she worked in London she missed it raining al the time!)

Hi Chris.

Sorry I should have replied to your post a few days back. Just been a bit busy!

The puzzling thing  is that the shorter waiting rooms only had two rooms. That's what led me to decide on the three smallest rooms in the longer buildings being staff only!

The extra top lights to the windows would have been included to allow more light in under the awnings! These are gone from pictures "post war".

So this one used to sit on the Keighley -Bradford platform right next to the 3 arch viaduct, the change from hard surface to wood is the give away.

552672668_keighley-bradford(1).jpg.d7c7e2166959dd4c9c9b854960679d71.jpg

Same building during BR times.

129739281_keighley-bradford(2).jpg.a2aa35f693fba8f6f0e871c730b45cfa.jpg

714932254_keighley-bradford(3).jpg.b9dcfac5cd2514f51afc00ddea8f9c8d.jpg

42085402_keighley-bradford(4).JPG.4a7d5e19822c0fd00116f061e8cfab33.JPG

Edit: To say that looking at the two dilapidated pictures I noticed that it looks as though only one room was in use during the final years. If that was the case It shows that I put the division wall in the right place!

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
more waffle...
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Those awnings were to stop people getting 'Sunburn' from the harsh Yorkshire Sun !!

manna

Silly boy.....       They were Yorkshire folk and wore [waterproof] hats to keep the Sun off their bald pates.

Julian

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I find pictures like that quite sad.  I know the station was soon to close but those buildings are in a dreadful state.  It is even worse when there are buildings in use on prosperous lines that are not much better than that.

It must have been quite difficult to keep those rooms warm in winter with all that glass.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

I find pictures like that quite sad.  I know the station was soon to close but those buildings are in a dreadful state.  It is even worse when there are buildings in use on prosperous lines that are not much better than that.

It must have been quite difficult to keep those rooms warm in winter with all that glass.

It is sad Chris. The second world war played a big part in the deterioration which is very evident here!

Yesterday I finished rebuilding our wood stove. It's amazing how quickly it warms the place up. The rebuild went well, was easier than I thought and the thing has reached 350F on one small load of kindling.

One thing I regret that I didn't do on the model was model some of those top window vents in the open position!

Regards Shaun

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'Day Folks

I well remember trainspotting at Wood Green and Hornsey during the winter, these two stations have almost identical buildings, all glass and awnings both sides, I used to hide in the waiting rooms, where it was toasty warm, coal fires do work really well, but I don't think these fires were ever allowed to go out.

manna 

• Like 3