Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

All that fresh paint has got them stuck closed.

Good point! Thinking about it, it's not too late to just hack one or two away and make a few open ones!

The paint wont look so fresh after a good weathering either.

Regards Shaun

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There's not been any modeling today. A certain Widnes based company have managed to make my blood boil.:ireful::ireful::ireful::ireful::ireful:

Anyway my mate in Guangzhou seems to take better care of his long standing customers and has supplied me with 50 warm white mini LEDs with the correct resistors and free shipping for under $13.

A quick test mock up looks very promising. Top lights all closed too!

1818262037_LEDlights.JPG.9b313f2f73f59b01619dac0e647b0aea.JPG

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Progress report...

The last roof has been made and painted.

Our new wood stove is all fixed up and works a treat. The repairs were expensive but will pay for itself in savings on wood. 

I have begun constructing the lighting circuits for the waiting rooms.

The idea is to have lift off buildings, so I have hashed up brass connectors from etched fret scraps and screw terminal blocks. Keeping things simple, the LEDs and resistors are soldered up on a 5mm wide strip of mounting board, held in place with electrical tape and two wires run down to the terminal block in the toilets.

DSCF1789.JPG.4f31c7dc0678e859f37067dd4cfd46ad.JPG

DSCF1790.JPG.c8383e1a0abe53fb68ddaa3509ba7b55.JPG

DSCF1791.JPG.09d1a2947e82ddf6d9de52298f14f5db.JPG

squatch

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Time to get those cozy coal fires going.

Simple hole poked through the floor from underneath and an electronic tea light inserted which flickers. Hard to capture with my camera though. There's a little light bleed from behind the chimney

breast. A little black paint should fix that.

1899862143_Queensburyfires(1).JPG.a3ecde72de65cc32909b418098bf98a5.JPG

911783425_Queensburyfires(2).JPG.b13ade72020084eabf616d29cfabe30a.JPG

1592404390_Queensburyfires(3).JPG.ca558646bbd1647d5f25e1e586639278.JPG

1273228094_Queensburyfires(4).JPG.457f4d76b5678f4c72131840c21747e9.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

Have you got your tree up yet?

We have...

1262129788_Xmastree(1).JPG.03d84a46ae7f047b6106e349c13565d1.JPG

603643545_Xmastree(3).JPG.126b2c0ceaa55a13854f0dbbb21d5a92.JPG

I like this one because it gives a glimpse of the back stage/behind the scenes split aspect 

1262545879_Xmastree(4).JPG.9656242958d43ab679bd5ee90d8a4b02.JPG

1868269644_Xmastree(2).JPG.3f85b38f651e00560ff1461e2b8f94b6.JPG

The school boy is a model of me, age 6 in my Rudyard Kipling School uniform. Satchel, blazer and balaclava!

1998491142_Xmastree(5).JPG.ec31325556958de9ba699b6633a1aa36.JPG

256603914_Xmastree(6).JPG.154cf2b17cbe3118be40347d97725c2a.JPG

1990105665_Xmastree(7).JPG.bccf2cb901e0be0f69e8194d0f90ed22.JPG

Merry Christmas from The Sasquatches.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

We are delighted to introduce you to the

Grim-up-north YouTube channel.

Shows things much better than the macro setting on the camera wouldn't you agree?

Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

May we wish all of you that follow the thread a very Merry Christmas.

If like us you are staying home and taking the opportunity to make the most of what a quiet Christmas day has to offer take a moment to remember that you are not alone and that your decision might be saving the lives of people you love.

In my case that involves a full roast dinner with all the trimmings followed by home made boozy pudding and pies which we never get to do.

Best Wishes Shaun

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

Happy Christmas to you and yours Shaun.

Had Goose today, the first time for many decades.  A bit like going back in time to just after WWII, when Dad got back and had a flock of them.  Whopping eggs for all sorts of baking and one of the flock for Christmas Lunch.

Smile time - apparently the best presents my good Lady and daughter got were large, personalised, pots of Marmite with the labels replaced with new ones, where the "Marmite" logo has been professionally replaced with each of their names.  Apparently they now have plans to spoon refill them, when they run out.   :dancer:

Best wishes

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for your warm festive wishes guys.

We hope that you are enjoying your Christmas too.

This year arrangements have been a bit different, Mrs. S. is spending her first Christmas away from her moms! However stepdad decided this was too hard on mom and has done the driving instead. After visiting my brother-in-law they came by for a visit on the front porch. Not as bad as it seems, we could hold a party on our porch!

We have a small ham, parsnip-potato dish, yam-brussel sprout  dish and the pigs in blankets all baking as I type. A couple of good quality ales  on the go and a very cozy warm log fire to boot!

This year I have been baking for a week instead of modeling. Mince pies, boozy rum & brandy pud and rum truffles for all the family. They all say the same thing " You Brits sure know how to do Christmas".

I'll leave you with that thought and a picture of my present from my wife along with some recent festive related images of an Oregon Christmas tree hunt and a train on the layout (Got to keep on topic. right).

Warmest Wishes  To You And All Your Loved Ones. Shaun.

DSCF1827.JPG

IMG_3583.PNG

IMG_0746.PNG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Happy Christmas to you and yours Shaun.

Had Goose today, the first time for many decades.  A bit like going back in time to just after WWII, when Dad got back and had a flock of them.  Whopping eggs for all sorts of baking and one of the flock for Christmas Lunch.

Smile time - apparently the best presents my good Lady and daughter got were large, personalised, pots of Marmite with the labels replaced with new ones, where the "Marmite" logo has been professionally replaced with each of their names.  Apparently they now have plans to spoon refill them, when they run out.   :dancer:

Best wishes

Julian

Our good friend Regina has her own pot of vegimite at our house. Needless to say the label now reads Regimite!

Veggiemite is easier to spread but still costs an arm and a leg if and when it can be found here.

As for goose eggs... try making Hollandaise with one in a blender and serve it over crab cakes with poached egg on top.:yes:

Green with envy at the  thought of you sitting down to roast goose. Bet that was a real treat J.

Regards Shaun

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Our good friend Regina has her own pot of vegimite at our house. Needless to say the label now reads Regimite!

Veggiemite is easier to spread but still costs an arm and a leg if and when it can be found here.

As for goose eggs... try making Hollandaise with one in a blender and serve it over crab cakes with poached egg on top.:yes:

Green with envy at the  thought of you sitting down to roast goose. Bet that was a real treat J.

Regards Shaun

Real treat it was, too Shaun, good size and fatter than the post war ones.  All I have to do now is find a sensible way to dispose of the best part of half a gallon of the run-off fat, although I will keep a pot for Sunday roasts.

Is that building with the blueish lights, taken at night, your train room / workshop?  It's huge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Real treat it was, too Shaun, good size and fatter than the post war ones.  All I have to do now is find a sensible way to dispose of the best part of half a gallon of the run-off fat, although I will keep a pot for Sunday roasts.

Is that building with the blueish lights, taken at night, your train room / workshop?  It's huge.

Could have done with some of that run off on the spuds yesterday, Sounds delicious!

Our barn used to be a cow shed. I did a fair bit of work on it and now two thirds of it serves as my woodwork shop. The last 20'x20' is a seasoning come store space! If I ever sell the machines it would make a great O scale layout room. It also has a wood stove something the train warehouse does not!

Regards Shaun

• Like 6

What a great set-up and fantastic views to match.  I know everything has it's lesser moments, but where you live must compensate for a good number of those lesser irritations.  {Although it may be observed that the Workshop and the Train Warehouse probably got designated to the wrong buildings.  After all, if you're working the machines and hauling timber, the heater might not be altogether essential, but the woodburner could be keeping the Rolling Stock and modelling fingers warm and dry.  Just a thought.....  }   :jester:

Best stop typing dissention in the ranks and return to the current soggy storm which is just starting here.  Mrs R has responsibility for dealing with plans for emergencies in the DfTpt and is concerned about how it might affect those truckers still to get across the Channel.  {amongst a few other Brexit matters.}  I told her not to worry too much, as it will only get up to 70 mph and Channel Ferries are not too bothered about that - the truckers might not be quite so happy, but the crew will be pretty much ok.

Take care and best wishes

• Like 2

Regarding Julian's comments re Marmite this product now belong to Unilever as does Bovril and both of them have had their formulae altered in the same way they drastically changed Pears soap some years ago. Bovril now only has a proportion of beef extract plus added chemicals etc and Marmite has less yeast extract and other changes to cheapen it. Marmite still tastes pretty much the same but Bovril has a completely different texture.

It's the modern world I guess!

Happy new year to all the readers of Shaun's brilliant work and postings.

Edward

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/12/2020 at 11:14, jcredfer said:

What a great set-up and fantastic views to match.  I know everything has it's lesser moments, but where you live must compensate for a good number of those lesser irritations.  {Although it may be observed that the Workshop and the Train Warehouse probably got designated to the wrong buildings.  After all, if you're working the machines and hauling timber, the heater might not be altogether essential, but the woodburner could be keeping the Rolling Stock and modelling fingers warm and dry.  Just a thought.....  }   :jester:

Best stop typing dissention in the ranks and return to the current soggy storm which is just starting here.  Mrs R has responsibility for dealing with plans for emergencies in the DfTpt and is concerned about how it might affect those truckers still to get across the Channel.  {amongst a few other Brexit matters.}  I told her not to worry too much, as it will only get up to 70 mph and Channel Ferries are not too bothered about that - the truckers might not be quite so happy, but the crew will be pretty much ok.

Take care and best wishes

Glad that you got to read my reply before it dematerialized.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/12/2020 at 12:45, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Glad everybody had a Good Christmas, I got a bit 'Sunburnt' on Boxing Day, says it all, don't it !!!

manna

Just can't imagine that mate. We always go into a semi hibernation about now. Last nights heavy frost under the  near full moon was quite something. I felt like going for a walk in the early hours but it was 19F (-7C).

Regards Shaun

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, edward66 said:

Regarding Julian's comments re Marmite this product now belong to Unilever as does Bovril and both of them have had their formulae altered in the same way they drastically changed Pears soap some years ago. Bovril now only has a proportion of beef extract plus added chemicals etc and Marmite has less yeast extract and other changes to cheapen it. Marmite still tastes pretty much the same but Bovril has a completely different texture.

It's the modern world I guess!

Happy new year to all the readers of Shaun's brilliant work and postings.

Edward

Hi Edward. Don't get me started... If there's one thing I can't abide it's marketing food with non nutritional filler and chemicals. I loath such companies, you end up paying more for the packaging than you do for the contents and after you have eaten you're still hungry.

Luckily where we live there is an abundance of fresh local organic food which although expensive works out cheaper as it has 100% nutritional value so we don't usually get hungry! Once a week we allow ourselves a night of indulgence such as a boxed pizza and it's funny to find one another staring in the fridge about an hour afterwards. About the only things in the house which aren't organic would be packets of biscuits, crackers and cheese!

Happy new year to you too, lets hope things get back on track in 2021!

Regards Shaun. 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6