Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Looking good Shaun, the whatever they are, (I'm no gardener) but they look great mate.

Hi Andy.

Not a gardener either. You should see me out there just now calling the mower something much worse that hollyhocks! I've got no idea what on earth could be wrong with it. Works on a cold day for half an hour but cuts out when it gets hot.

Regards Shaun 

• Friendly/supportive 2

27 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Andy.

Not a gardener either. You should see me out there just now calling the mower something much worse that hollyhocks! I've got no idea what on earth could be wrong with it. Works on a cold day for half an hour but cuts out when it gets hot.

Regards Shaun 

I believe that keeling over on hot Grass is usually a human trait..... 

What, exactly, are you using to power your grass cutter??.....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

I believe that keeling over on hot Grass is usually a human trait..... 

What, exactly, are you using to power your grass cutter??.....

Hi Julian.

It's a petrol engine. We think the gasoline is vaporizing in the fuel pump and causing an air block. To get it running I simply get the air compressor and blow into the petrol cap breather hole which forces the gas into the carb! That's after jump starting it from my pick-up because the battery keeps going flat.

The thing is very old and the last owner didn't service it. I have totally rebuilt the it, all new fuel lines, pump, filter and cleaned out the carb and fuel tank. Rebuilt the cutting deck too. It runs well but as soon as it gets hot it plays up! It must be additives in the gas.

We have a stand by push mower but it takes nearly all day.

Regards Shaun.

• Friendly/supportive 5

36 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Julian.

It's a petrol engine. We think the gasoline is vaporizing in the fuel pump and causing an air block. To get it running I simply get the air compressor and blow into the petrol cap breather hole which forces the gas into the carb! That's after jump starting it from my pick-up because the battery keeps going flat.

The thing is very old and the last owner didn't service it. I have totally rebuilt the it, all new fuel lines, pump, filter and cleaned out the carb and fuel tank. Rebuilt the cutting deck too. It runs well but as soon as it gets hot it plays up! It must be additives in the gas.

We have a stand by push mower but it takes nearly all day.

Regards Shaun.

That's a more common problem than most folks are aware of.  Remember the Posh Folks Triumph Stag?    Previous M-in-L had one and it used to go really well, until she drove it quickly over a distance on Dual/M'Way or up a long hill.  it would suddenly slow, then stop... dead.  The eventual discovery was that the fuel pump, which was a large steel lump, would collect the heat, when made to supply lots of fuel, for an extended period.  That got sufficiently hot for the petrol to go to gas...  end of pump function.

It wasn't discovered for quite some time, as once stopped, it took a while for rescue services to get there, by which time the pump had cooled and performed perfectly.  It was located at the top of a vertical  fuel line loop, over the rear wheel arch, which meant that the gaseous fuel would accumulate at that same highest point.

It may be worth looking to see if there is a high point in the fuel feed, which is getting sufficiently hot for the petrol to gas-up.  On the other hand, the Low Tension side of the electrics can suffer breaks within the insulation of the connecting wires, which will also work until warmed by the arching, then the expansion will pull the break apart.  Again, frustrating, as once stopped, it will cool and be likely to connect again, when tried later.

I wish you luck with it Shaun, mowing grass is ok, as long as you have some problem to solve whilst being so relaxed and mentally unchallenged.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Andy.

Regards Shaun 

Reminds me of my dad.  When we were young mum would take us kids to church and dad would stay home to attend to the yard.  We often came home to find bits of lawn mower scattered across the back yard and my father dripping sweat swearing at what remained of the lawn mower and threatening it with all manner of retribution.

Tell him to take the lawn mower to get it fixed would only aggravate him more as he was convinced that he alone could fix the problem.  Eventually he got it running.  The lawn was mowed and and birds and other forms of wildlife would ultimetaly return to the back yard.

Used to do the same with the pool filter from time to time!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Bogie said:

Reminds me of my dad.  When we were young mum would take us kids to church and dad would stay home to attend to the yard.  We often came home to find bits of lawn mower scattered across the back yard and my father dripping sweat swearing at what remained of the lawn mower and threatening it with all manner of retribution.

Tell him to take the lawn mower to get it fixed would only aggravate him more as he was convinced that he alone could fix the problem.  Eventually he got it running.  The lawn was mowed and and birds and other forms of wildlife would ultimetaly return to the back yard.

Used to do the same with the pool filter from time to time!

I tried driving ours all the way back from my mates house once after replacing the flywheel. Somehow a stone found it's way in there and destroyed all the magnets. It conked out on the way home (again) and I was to be seen in the middle of the road giving it a thorough good kick in! That always does the trick of course and it limped up the driveway spluttering.

regards Shaun

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

When ours conked out I replaced it with a push along mower. No engine to go wrong, and no noise, plus exercise. A good choice though my wife thought I was barmy. She now admits it cuts the grass better. In fairness we have a postage stamp to cut. I doubt it is a solution for those who have bigger gardens.

richard 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, richard i said:

When ours conked out I replaced it with a push along mower. No engine to go wrong, and no noise, plus exercise. A good choice though my wife thought I was barmy. She now admits it cuts the grass better. In fairness we have a postage stamp to cut. I doubt it is a solution for those who have bigger gardens.

richard 

Hi Richard

Mrs. S. has a push along mower which we use to do the kitchen garden and it really does a good job there...

1905218012_grass(1).JPG.76c44012b3ab799211cd03225c6e996e.JPG

...the back however is a daunting task by hand. You can just make out the push mower there where I used it to finish of a small patch after the other one started misbehaving!

548079852_grass(2).JPG.7deae33dd43901de01ef697d9528495b.JPG

Regards Shaun

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

G'Day Shaun

We have a half acre plot, plenty of grass, which usually dies back in summer (to hot) but we a have a ride on motor, which behaves itself, most of the time.

manna

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

We have an Australian-standard quarter-acre block. We pay someone else to mow it, which leaves me more time to play trains.

And avoids close encounters with any venomous beasties in the area!

Baz

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2021 at 00:40, Barry O said:

And avoids close encounters with any venomous beasties in the area!

Baz

Plenty of venomous beasties here too. Like the bald faced hornet I just evicted from the garage.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Plenty of venomous beasties here too. Like the bald faced hornet I just evicted from the garage.

Flame thrower on a Drone !!!!

manna

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Was up north for a few days. Grim it was too, Portland has a really bad homelessness situation. Some people have pitched up their tents on the embankments of Interstate 5 presumably  because there isn't room to put up any more in the city.

Anyway I have full citizenship here now and in celebration we hit up a few model stores to stock up on flockaging, solder, paints etc.   

Should have a few days free to get some serious scenic work done and here's a couple of pics but the zoom makes things look very tight.

DSCF2212.JPG.2cae03ae22b1c7e5f35be074ab8b4d16.JPG

DSCF2213.JPG.754b24a22a7c5045eb76abf3867c304c.JPG

DSCF2214.JPG.ced164233ba6606800aaffed0309fbe1.JPG

Regards Shaun

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

Most of the afternoon yesterday was spent attempting to model more willow herb. I tried a few other methods in an effort to speed things along but the  results  were inconsistent. 

The first lot involved putting stems onto card using spray adhesive. These were frustrating to plant as they just stuck to everything except the hole in which they were supposed to.

966982070_willowherb(1).JPG.043b47a2d0154b6b8577ac9d689d497a.JPG

The second batch were made from undoing a 12" piece of sisal string. This was fashioned into three thinner strands all twisted back up. I then marks it at 15mm intervals with a marker and applied super glue on the marks.   

The 15mm sections cut and poked into a scrap of foam insulation, sprayed matt camo. brown and the flockaging applied with thinned white glue. These came out pretty good but took ages.

252162261_willowherb(2).JPG.81d7b9c9dc54a3e73709334a91d29469.JPG

1333087230_willowherb(3).JPG.b928feb4eb882233e0bc8a9b8a27fdd0.JPG

Lastly I reverted to the single bristle method described a few posts back.

The lighting definitely changes their colour.

1208039982_willowherb(4).JPG.7300bc6f998248ae54bcadbfe94e86be.JPG

More scenics later. Squatch.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

They do look good.

So now you have your rose bay willow herb, how are you going to model the great showers of pink petals when the wind blows?  :jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ChrisN said:

They do look good.

So now you have your rose bay willow herb, how are you going to model the great showers of pink petals when the wind blows?  :jester:

We'll call in the air force with pink smoke.

First class!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Had a go at a tree just now using this new method.

A 4-5cm pin (this one was the off cut from a SEEP point solenoid) is poked into a scrap of insulation foam and three bamboo berry sprigs poked in around the pin.

Cyano applied to the base joint and set off with baking soda. The tree will break away        from the foam very easily and can be poked into the layout.

Quick dusting with spray on adhesive.

Dog bed stuffing daubed on.

A blast with the  rattle can, flat camo brown.

And woodland scenics foliage teased out and stuck on.

Oh and a little hair cut with fine scissors.   

DSCF2264.JPG.36c1ef3013643c62e174a260f3b783a3.JPG

DSCF2265.JPG.d51f0fb9ba2f95e8607b2f1a9fa843bb.JPG

DSCF2266.JPG.d2aaa51ab54493b714025d5d7039899c.JPG

What do ya think?

Squatch

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

I thought the middle one was the real one that you were comparing the others to. (Your modelling is) Very clever.

Edited by ChrisN
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

I thought the middle one was the real one that you were comparing the others to.  Very clever.

I'll take that as a compliment!

The colour is spot on. There's not many bamboo berry sprigs left so I'll use those up. My mate moved to Indiana so I can no longer raid his ornamental bamboo garden.

Then I'm going to make this pair of oaks. 

1956040499_Queensoaks(2).JPG.06dfd13d0180a00011f65415b717c2c2.JPG

Regards Shaun

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Congratulations on become a full blown 'Yank'.:D Will the B&O, now have full running rights throughout your layout ?

manna

Thanx bud!

The Union Pacific might!

The english test at the interview was a joke. Write down these four words...

They want you to use a rubber ended pointer on a screen pad that's on a stand.

Looked like a 3 year old had done it!

Then they do these mini swear in ceremonies the same afternoon. About twenty people are patted down airport security style and taken one by one into a room, stood the regular covid 6 feet apart. They collect every ones green card, do the repeat after me oath, give you a certificate and a little star spangled banner and chuck you all out. Not bad for just over $500!

Regards Shaun 

P.S. I've cut the sleeves off of all my shirts, smashed in the rear window of my truck, sawn off my shotgun barrel and brought 6 cases of Busch Lite too.

Edited by Sasquatch
PSsst
  • Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

These turned out quite well.

The bamboo berry sprigs.

412152077_Bambooberrysprigtrees(1).JPG.4c8e35635286196c03f03e944e723a1d.JPG

Trimmed up a bit and sections super glued together.

1976635356_Bambooberrysprigtrees(2).JPG.14b63373a75d0feb3ce3d7ef11d59200.JPG

Dog bed stuffing added and a coat of the camo brown.

463211338_Bambooberrysprigtrees(3).JPG.87b0db00413c1ba23c3481cf3083d48c.JPG

The foliage attached using Aquanet hairspray.

1853948062_Bambooberrysprigtrees(4).JPG.2f9aa3df056cad8fa6a069c54842d406.JPG

1348550867_Bambooberrysprigtrees(5).JPG.17e1be64fa4198bcd90180076eafb2ae.JPG

Squatch.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5