Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Seems like a load are going down with it mate, Mike / Dent has had it and a couple more on here have reported the same. I had it when I got home from the Manchester Show on 6th Dec 2016 and still had the cough on 8th Jan 2017 when we went out for a meal.

Get well soon Shaun.

• RMweb Premium

Dad had it and nearly ended up in the hospital! Feeling a bit better myself today I took the opportunity to do a bit of modeling. What else is there to do when you have to stay in the warm?

This steam punk item is a bit off topic. It will power the brewery I've got planned for my mill town.

All bits and bobs from the scrap box cut, fettled, drilled, turned etc. and fashioned together. The flywheel is made from a sawn off bit of glucose tablet tube and the spokes cut from .010 plastic card.

post-8964-0-96651200-1486618202.jpgpost-8964-0-35978400-1486618215.jpgpost-8964-0-99010000-1486618227.jpg

The green and red suit it quite well I think.

post-8964-0-79061200-1486618329.jpg

post-8964-0-37453700-1486618368.jpg

Squatch.

• Like 7

Dad had it and nearly ended up in the hospital! Feeling a bit better myself today I took the opportunity to do a bit of modeling. What else is there to do when you have to stay in the warm?

This steam punk item is a bit off topic. It will power the brewery I've got planned for my mill town.

All bits and bobs from the scrap box cut, fettled, drilled, turned etc. and fashioned together. The flywheel is made from a sawn off bit of glucose tablet tube and the spokes cut from .010 plastic card.

attachicon.gifSteam punk (1).JPGattachicon.gifSteam punk (2).JPGattachicon.gifSteam punk (3).JPG

attachicon.gifSteam punk (4).JPG

attachicon.gifSteam punk (5).JPG

Squatch.

WOWSER Shaun, that's wonderful mate, really clever stuff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifSteam punk (1).JPGattachicon.gifSteam punk (2).JPGattachicon.gifSteam punk (3).JPG

attachicon.gifSteam punk (4).JPG

attachicon.gifSteam punk (5).JPG

Shaun, that looks brilliant!

Does it run? I would have thought that given what we've seen you do with ground signals.....

:jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

WOWSER Shaun, that's wonderful mate, really clever stuff.

Something different but not that clever really.

Shaun, that looks brilliant!

Does it run? I would have thought that given what we've seen you do with ground signals.....

:jester:  :jester:

...and there'll be beer coming out of the OO scale fermentation tanks of course but don't expect a pint for at least a few months.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Something different but not that clever really.

Beg to differ, it's a great bit of modelling, and the colours you've chosen are just right, I've seen many industrial engines painted exactly like that.

Nice one mate,

Al.

• Like 1

Beg to differ, it's a great bit of modelling, and the colours you've chosen are just right, I've seen many industrial engines painted exactly like that.

Nice one mate,

Al.

..............    Blimey    ......................................                ....................................   how old did you say you were????   :O :o

J

Firstly a big Thank you for all the Greetings. Apologies if I haven't visited your threads to return them Just have very slow internet at present.

So you may be aware of the storms we've been hit with on the west coast.

attachicon.gifWinter barn.JPG

Pretty isn't it. Trouble is, it brings down power lines which has left us without electricity for 18 hours. Luckily we have a nice wood burning stove so there's been plenty of tea and crumpets on the go.

Rather than get bored I dug out all my signal stuff and got to work. Mostly by gas lantern!

Having built the up starter bracket signal for Goathland, I proceeded  with the other signals which will adorn the middle base board section.

The three ground shunt signals are under construction and are awaiting paint.

attachicon.gifGoathland signals (1).JPG

Next I built the down siding starter which stands behind the road bridge.

Pretty simple stuff, just two styrene angle sections mitered together for the post with drilled out Ratio parts, a finial turned in the hand drill with an Atlas track pin inserted from below.

Then I started on the junction outer home post by firstly making a drawing by scaling a picture down.

The lenses are water based varnish mixed with cake dye.

attachicon.gifGoathland signals (3).JPG

This one posses a bit of a problem in that it has 3 arms which required some thought on how to animate them.

Having used the Ratio signal control to great effect on Dunster I proceeded to build a double stack mechanism to the same spec. from scratch. 

attachicon.gifDouble decker mechanisum.JPG

I have also done much work on the next three starter posts for the station board. 

attachicon.gifGoathland signals (2).JPG

I used lamps and lenses from one of the kits from the Ratio eBay haul along with three signal control sets, drilling and filing out the GWR parts so that they look like NER gubbins.

More work this evening I hope.

Squatch

Hey Shaun, where do you get the crumpets from, struggle to find any here in Arkansas and the ones I did find were a very poor substitute for Warburtons. I usually bring several packs back when I've been to UK and put them in the freezer. Have to ration them though!

Edward

• Like 2

Hey Shaun, where do you get the crumpets from, struggle to find any here in Arkansas and the ones I did find were a very poor substitute for Warburtons. I usually bring several packs back when I've been to UK and put them in the freezer. Have to ration them though!

Edward

When you're in the UK get to Asda and buy theirs - much better than Watburtons imho
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Edward

Food 4 Less in Medford has a British food section! Digestive biscuits, PG tips, brown sauce, salad cream, amongst other things. The buttermilk crumpets are particularly good.   

We're lucky here because there's a nice English lady who runs a British import food stuffs shop in Grants Pass too, a source of back rashers!  

When you're in the UK get to Asda and buy theirs - much better than Watburtons imho

I doubt our suit cases would have room for food, what with all the model stuff I'll be no doubt cramming in them. Will bare it in mind for my next visit. 

Regards Shaun.

• Like 4

Food 4 Less in Medford has a British food section! Digestive biscuits, PG tips, brown sauce, salad cream, amongst other things. The buttermilk crumpets are particularly good.   

We're lucky here because there's a nice English lady who runs a British import food stuffs shop in Grants Pass too, a source of back rashers!  

I doubt our suit cases would have room for food, what with all the model stuff I'll be no doubt cramming in them. Will bare it in mind for my next visit. 

Regards Shaun.

Good that you prioritise mate, you can get food anywhere, but a good model is hard to find. hahah.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good models are hard to find Andy...

...that's wht I build my own!

Well almost.  GUNs brewery is taking shape in the form of Anglicised  American D.P.M. modular kits.

Several of these fantastic modular packs were acquired at a local show in Eugene in a bargain "job lot" ( Eugene is almost 3½  hours away but still local when it comes to railroad shows!). I've brought a few more packs via eBay to build the brewery. 

The idea came from the Assassin's Creed Syndicate game which is set in 19th Century London. The yellow brick would be more suited to London. An excuse might be that the brewers could afford to have the bricks shipped in via the LNER. After all, good beer will always sell well.

There are three buildings. An office block, the brew house and warehouse.

post-8964-0-13075100-1487469072_thumb.jpg

The brew house will have a fully detailed interior. The large windows lend themselves to the opportunity to model something a bit different.  

The warehouse will have a loading dock for dispatch. 

post-8964-0-45622500-1487469055_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-02502100-1487468928_thumb.jpg

Windows have been spray painted in a blue steel finish mixed up with Gun metal, black and a touch of pure blue pigment. The glazing bars are scratched onto a sheet of clear glazing with the blue steel mix rubbed in and wiped off. Yes it all took ages to complete.

post-8964-0-13010900-1487469780_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-38008500-1487469799_thumb.jpg

There's still much to do but should go quite quickly compared to the painting of all that brickwork and the window assembly.

post-8964-0-91484800-1487468982_thumb.jpg

Regards Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 9

Good models are hard to find Andy...

...that's wht I build my own!

Well almost.  GUNs brewery is taking shape in the form of Anglicised  American D.P.M. modular kits.

Several of these fantastic modular packs were acquired at a local show in Eugene in a bargain "job lot" ( Eugene is almost 3½  hours away but still local when it comes to railroad shows!). I've brought a few more packs via eBay to build the brewery. 

The idea came from the Assassin's Creed Syndicate game which is set in 19th Century London. The yellow brick would be more suited to London. An excuse might be that the brewers could afford to have the bricks shipped in via the LNER. After all, good beer will always sell well.

There are three buildings. An office block, the brew house and warehouse.

attachicon.gifGunn Brewery (4).JPG

The brew house will have a fully detailed interior. The large windows lend themselves to the opportunity to model something a bit different.  

The warehouse will have a loading dock for dispatch. 

attachicon.gifGunn Brewery (3).JPG

attachicon.gifGunn Brewery (1).JPG

Windows have been spray painted in a blue steel finish mixed up with Gun metal, black and a touch of pure blue pigment. The glazing bars are scratched onto a sheet of clear glazing with the blue steel mix rubbed in and wiped off. Yes it all took ages to complete.

attachicon.gifGunn Brewery (6).JPG

attachicon.gifGunn Brewery (7).JPG

There's still much to do but should go quite quickly compared to the painting of all that brickwork and the window assembly.

attachicon.gifGunn Brewery (2).JPG

Regards Squatch.

THREE AND A HALF HOURS DRIVE, just for a Model Railway Show, that's some commitment mate.

The Buildings look really interesting Shaun, many years ago I purchased a ready made Office Block, but the problem was you could see right through it. My answer was to make up a cardboard sleeve to fit inside, then put a Black shiny bin liner tight over that before fitting it inside. the black was shinny through the Perspex windows and looked pretty realistic.

Great atmospheric pics as always mate.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We went to a show in Portland once. That's like going from Brighton to Newcastle. Oregon is about the size of Germany but with only 3.5M people, so there's really only two towns on that trip. I can be thankful that the local train shop is in the closer of the two!

If the chance arises  I'll tackle the rooves today. 

It's about to get warmer so that means Back to work on the signaling and track laying.

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

"About to get warmer"  ...  ??

Does that include the megga storm which is wandering towards your neck of the woods?

Regards

J

:O What? The last of the snow only melted last week. I need some dry weather so that I can saw up two huge oaks and an ash tree for firewood. Not looking forward to that either, it all eats into the modeling time J!  

• RMweb Premium

I've seen Jan '68 at Doncaster BRM show a few years ago, not long after it had been in one of the mags (BRM?). I too liked the look of it in photos but (and I hate to say this) it did nothing for me in the flesh as the nice parts (the station building and a few other structures) stood out as being good on an average layout.

Not meaning to blow your trumpet (ooer) but from what I have seen of your modelling on here, it blows Jan '68 out of the water.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Goathland has been dismantled pending the construction of the rest of Grim up North. It was a hard move as I enjoy running trains on it so much that the prospect of not being able to do that has been putting me off.

However. The fiddle yard doubles for that on Dunster which I've been working on during my spare time this week. It was a squeeze fitting Dunster into my back attic room so my solution was to cut 2 ½" from the bottom of all the legs which means that the fiddle yard boards will no longer fit with Goathland and the rest of GUN! It was a big step because it could be years before trains run on it again.

On another note I was reluctantly dragged to an estate sale buy Mrs. Sasquatch yesterday. The late owners of the house were into dolls houses, the basement was an Aladins cave for modelers!

Squatch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's an interesting thing I've found with older split chassis locos, so thought I'd post it on here incase anyone finds it helpful.

Some of my older Bachmann steam locos had developed a nasty kick first look showed nothing apparent.

On closer inspection I have found that the wheels have a soft plastic insert which for some reason has kind of bubbled away from the metal wheel causing the drive gear to catch on the down stroke/ up stoke every revolution.

It's a simple fix.

1; Remove the wheels set and undo the small hexagonal nut that retains the coupling rod on the faulty wheel.

2; Carefully prize the plastic insert out using a scalpel.

3; Using super glue sparingly fix the two parts back together and clamp with a bulldog spring clip or similar. Leave well alone to dry for an hour at least.

4; Reassemble the engine.

While I had the class 4 apart it received relubrication.  (New word???). This process involves a thorough degreasing and the application of graphite powder. Be sure to mark the "top" of the motor before removal. 

Runs as good as new.

Sorry no pictures due to flat batteries again.

Shaun.

• Like 4