Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

You may not be happy with them...but I think they look brilliant.  I have made mine from shaping wood but I need to cover them now with something suitable....the tops are what is troubling me the most.  So you literally painted directly onto the cardboard?

Yep! What type of wood did you use and how wide is it. Some wood has a high shrinkage rate and some cuts can curl. 

Hi

Hard wood is not a measure of how hard wood is.

A hardwood is from a deciduous tree, in general one that loses its leaves in winter. For example Balsa is a hardwood.

Softwood is from coniferous trees, Pine, Fire Spruce etc.

Wood warps and shrinks due to:

• The water content
  • How fast it grew/ how far apart the grain is
  • Whether the wood is from the heartwood or outer wood
  • How twisted the grain is
  • How it was cut and dried

Sorry that makes it more difficult but as any cabinet maker will tell you, Wood can be a complicated material to work with.

Edited by Kal

• RMweb Premium

Remove that foam from underneath your wood and drill and countersink 3/16",(5mm) pairs of clearence holes for number 6 screws 3/4", (18mm) in from the edges back and front. Spot glue the platroms before screwing them down. Then you could use good old hard board glued on top and sanded to fit as the surfaces which should be primed before painting. The hard board will compensate in lack of height from removing the foam, hide the screws and give a nice surface for painting. Any descrepences arround the buildings can be built up with thin card. The platforms can be put upside down on the hard board as templates. Edited with metric.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Kals totally right, I don't use wood for any modeling or baseboard construction. Only ply and MDF. 

We once made the most fantastic living room for a race horse breader who lived outside Brussels. It was elm, very expensive and had square pegs set diagon alley in every joint. His wife came back from Dubai and turned the heating up so high all the joints shrank and split arround the square pegs. My boss lost a weeks worth of sleep before the customer returned and telephoned my boss congratulating him and asking how he'd managed to make it look so old!!  Magic. 

• RMweb Premium

Well I am using a hard wood I think:

That looks like Norwegen den due to the fact that it is pale where you have cut it on the ramps and the small knots, a very soft wood and prone to shrink as it grows quickly during the short summers. It will be fine if you do as above!

• Like 1

On mine, I used Masonite (is that an international nomenclature?) on polystyrene extruded foam board insulated sheathing. Its the same stuff I use for a lot of my land contours as its very easy to work with. I cut the Masonite to overhang just a little, sanded the edge round and it produced a very satisfying effect. I tried a few different thicknesses of material until I found a combination that was perfect.

380895564_920.jpg30727553-936b-4564-b5aa-c0bd3c8290aa_300

Edited by cgraham
  • Like 1

HI

we have moved away from Foamboards because it is toxic when filed or cut or burnt, it melts and burns too easily and is very bad with solvents.  Not suggesting others should shy away, just our perspective.

We now use PIR board, as it has none of the properties above, but it is a bit more expensive and you cannot sculpt with a blowtorch. Still small price to pay.

Jaz has a few early examples on Arboretum Valley, and she is getting better with it all the time. Note.... the fine particles can still be a mechanical irritant, they are very fine, but they are not toxic chemically.

• RMweb Premium

Yes masonite is known as hard board in the UK.

Polystyrene extruded foam board insulated sheathing is fine if used with eye protection and the correct mask.

We're spoilt over here having work shops with shop vacs and pick ups with 8' beds etc. I couldn't imagine trying that pink stuff in my old cramped loft I had back in England.Let alone trying to get two sheets of it home on the back rack of my vespa!

• RMweb Premium

I've seen 3mm MDF in craft stores but haven't tried it yet as I always buy 5mm foam board and get 50% off on all the damaged ones!!

I build everything out of it now as it's so easy to cut just need a sharp stanley blade and PVA! 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

Here is the tricky part. The station seat was made by cutting the platform and setting it straight with blocks and nails so that the building didn't lean. The office got sanded on a belt sander which you can see in this pic along with a close up of the platform. 

attachicon.gifoffice.JPG

Did you replace this lamp or have you put a bulb in the Skaledale one? It looks superb!!

• RMweb Premium

They are those cheep chineese ones 20 for $10 here-on-eBay .

You can't put the full 12V through them though and I had to guess the wattage and used two 1A transformers from old Bachmann train sets for $5 each from the junk store. They are dimmable by means of the speed controll and wired up in pairs so as to reduce voltage by half and prolong thier life. One circuit for the lamp posts and one for the building interiors. Each bulb is connected to a 2 gang choc connector  under the board for easy replacement. Each interior bulb is supported in a styrene tube so as to not come into contact with the building.

Click on these images for the full atmospheric effect. 

You can't see her in this view but the seated Dapol lady has fallen over backwards on her Ratio chair and there is a cheese cake in that pie case.

Edit: Actually you can, her feet are sticking up in the right door window.  

post-8964-0-46457500-1381508922_thumb.jpg

Goathland station master waiting for the evening train.

post-8964-0-76318900-1381508866_thumb.jpg

The fillament lamp wire is visable under the footbridge veranders but too fine to be noticed in this pic.

post-8964-0-95231700-1381509198_thumb.jpg

This telephone box outside the Birch Hall Inn is a Busch HO product.

post-8964-0-97300900-1381509753.jpg  

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

They are those cheep chineese ones 20 for $10 here-on-eBay .

You can't put the full 12V through them though and I had to guess the wattage and used two 1A transformers from old Bachmann train sets for $5 each from the junk store. They are dimmable by means of the speed controll and wired up in pairs so as to reduce voltage by half and prolong thier life. One circuit for the lamp posts and one for the building interiors. Each bulb is connected to a 2 gang choc connector  under the board for easy replacement. Each interior bulb is supported in a styrene tube so as to not come into contact with the building.

You can't see her in this view but the seated Dapol lady has fallen over backwards on her Ratio chair and there is a cheese cake in that pie case.

attachicon.gifDSCF3121 - Copy.JPG

Goathland station master waiting for the evening train.

attachicon.gifDSCF2517.JPG

The fillament lamp wire is visable under the footbridge veranders but too fine to be noticed in this pic.

attachicon.gifJ728693 - Copy.JPG

This telephone box outside the Birch Hall Inn is a Busch HO product.

attachicon.gifClink Clank..JPG

Brilliant!

I've been looking at the DCC Concepts lamps for the station & already have some "Skale-Lighting" so'll probably use that in the buildings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are a couple of photos from the NMRA Mid Eastern Regional Convention in Rockville, MD yesterday:

Boat house is looking great! I shouldn't wonder that there are more Goathlands doing exhibitions over here than over there Clay.

Mine has been requested for the Rouge Valley show on thanksgiving weekend. So I'd better get down to the storage unit and drag it out so as to get working on it.

Regards Shaun

• Like 1

This forum really needs a YIKES emote!!! Clever adaption to solve a problem though.

Here is the tricky part. The station seat was made by cutting the platform and setting it straight with blocks and nails so that the building didn't lean. The office got sanded on a belt sander which you can see in this pic along with a close up of the platform. 

attachicon.gifoffice.JPG

Just posted a slew of photos on my topic page, but thought I'd pass on to Shaun and his admirers that my Hogsmeade Station version of Goathland Station took 3rd place in the NMRA Convention module competition.

nmrashow17smlowcrisp_zpsf3699ac8.jpg

-Clay

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Clay!

Not much going on here on the modelling front except that we have completed the garage rewiring and are half way done with the insulation.

In the house we decided to remodel the living room and after removing the old knotty pine T&G it has turned into a structural nightmare. The window had to come out and the roof may need to come off due to bad window installation in which no proper sil was installed and no header causing the roof to sag and at some point leak leading to black mould and rot! (We knew what we were getting into with an older house)!!  The repairs are hard work but fun non-the-less. 

So no model rail show this year. :no2:

Sasquatch......seen wearing a tool belt recently   

Shame you wont be doing an modelling soon but I agree it would be pointless modelling if  then you have a nasty leak. and it ruins the modelling However as you seem to be cracking on there is light at the end of the tunnel.....as in we will then see some of your great modelling.

edited because it could have been misread and therefore looked rude, must read more carefully what i write.

Edited by Jaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

SHMBO got caught on a game cam down in the Siskiyous about six months ago while on a trip to California. Can't keep her head down to save her life that one.

\

Does my bum look big in this?

post-8964-0-49660200-1382944462.jpg

• Like 2