Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

A note on the videos.

The sharpe eyed among you might notice that the layout is facing the spectators. This not usually the case! When set up at home the layout faces the opperating well. One day it will be incorporated into a much larger sceme. It may not make any further show appearances unless requested due to how dificult is is to get the 6x2.5' boards in and out of my truck.  

I can see the need for a back scene now I have seen the videos and having a grade A+ O-Level in art there is no excuse for not having done it yet.

the canter on the viaduct and through the station is much more apparent veiwed from the back side. At the show in 2011 we watched this with great fascination all afternoon on sunday and I hope to capture this on video and post it up here because it's just real cool!

S'quatch

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Mrs. S'quatch,

Please share how you did the flowers -  they add amazing realism to your scenery.

The station flower beds are paint. Gorse behind the station is made by sprinkling yellow scatter (Woodland scenics I think)  over poly fiber fixed with hair spray, and the garden behind the post office is a Busch kit! We have the weeds kit ready for the revamp!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

By the way, I married a native of Roseburg, OR in the 80's and lived in Coos Bay for a while where I owned a small hobby shop and I was a volunteer fireman with Hauser VFD.

My daughter lives in Eugene now.

-Clay

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not actually visited any railways in the north of England as yet, hopefully this year!

What I need is a camera stand to get unblured pictures of this layout.

Here is a few that aren`t  too bad.

attachicon.gifGoathland 5.JPG

General view of the station which shows that I have chosen preservation era but have kept the goods roads open to rail traffic instead of sandwhich traffic.

attachicon.gifGoathland 7 (1).JPG

Back side of station using wills products blended with the skaledale buildings. Borises article in Model inspiration has showed I got the ground levels a bit wrong here.

attachicon.gifGoathland 12 (2).JPG

Still lots of detail work to be done. Weatering mainly.

attachicon.gifGoathland 13.JPG

Grubby J39 brings a twin set (Ian kirk) into goathland.

attachicon.gifGoathland 10.JPG

Wish I had used N scale ballast.

attachicon.gifGoathland 9.JPG

attachicon.gifGoathland 8 (1).JPG

Love making signal boxes so one day I`ll set about Goathland box in eanest if I can get my Lambretta started that is.

attachicon.gifGoathland.JPG

Stone loading siding off to the left. On the layout this is used mainly to park my scratch built NE ballast brake. See my Stock For Goatland Gallery!

attachicon.gifGoathland 12 (1).JPG

Overall station view all credits to Mrs Sasquatch for her brilliant scenery work.

Hi there,

I'm a great fan of you're layout and am currently planning my own "Goathland". Can I ask what you used for the walling on the platforms and under the platform buildings and also what you used for the steel girder things for the rail over bridge?

Many thanks and keep up the good work, your layout is superb.

Mark

Sasquatch, full marks for your research on Goathland, the hill side etc. What really catches my eye is the Whitby? ruined Abbey. Did you make this from scratch? I looked back wards and forwards you refer to wills kits. Even with the resin buildings you have done some marvellous work, love the clever adaptions. As a serious Goathland fan myself  I can realise just how much work has been put into setting the sceen so well. If you added the abbey is it because your a Heartbeat fan too? Love Hegrid. Hey fools may never differ, but great minds do think alike ;) You do know the camping coaches are due to be released don't you???? We have ours pre ordered.

According to the website, the camping coaches are in stock. Hopefully mine will appear soon :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi there,

I'm a great fan of you're layout and am currently planning my own "Goathland". Can I ask what you used for the walling on the platforms and under the platform buildings and also what you used for the steel girder things for the rail over bridge?

Many thanks and keep up the good work, your layout is superb.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the compliment. Our station walls are Wills random stone. The walls to the beck are  Plastruct O gauge stone and those girders are Wills Vari Girder packs, 2 of them. most of which were cut in half, with micro strip built up for the railing.

Shaun.  

Hi Shaun,

I have been told to look at your layout by Jaz as I too am also in the process of modelling Goathland as close as space and other layout constraints allow.  My thread if you are interested can be found at the bottom of my signature.  Mine is very much in the infancy at the moment.  Goathland itself is the only part of the layout I am trying to reconstruct, the rest is purely made up.  

Anyway, on to your spectacular layout.  I just want to say that your modelling of Goathland and surrounding areas is just first class.  I can only hope to achieve a small fraction of what you have one and i'd be happy.  I have gone through your thread from start to finish and loved all the pictures and how the station has progressed.  You have got it spot on. 

I salute you!

I will be following this thread with great interest.

Thanks

Ian

• 1 month later...

The advantage of the camera stand is clear here,

attachicon.gifBirch Hall Inn.JPG

On the double slip which gave  lots of trouble

attachicon.gifJ94 3..JPG

My favourites J39 and WD 2,8,0 passing with kit built stock.

This is a retouch of a picture above which I think back dates it rather well. 

attachicon.gifTrains passing on the viaduct.JPG

fantastic light in those shots. :) 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks RJL. Evening sunlight with the garage doors up, camera stand and manual settings! I can`t wait to take some more once the revamp is completed. I want everything pucker before we attempt videos.

The revamp has been put on hold due to a pending house move. The new place has a large barn which I will convert to my workshop, this leaves the double detached garage free for the super layout, at over 500sq ft I have my work cut out! (Not to mention remodeling the house).

SWMBO insists that the garage receives full remodeling and insulation as a priority in order to get the layouts out of the house. (SWMBO. Got that right!)

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

Well it wont be fast, but glad we'll see your work in the future. And that you wont be freezing your butt.

And I need to thank you. I checked out the linka moulds after discussing the ruined Linka Abbey, and bought a bundle of used As Cs and Rs, all in very good condition. I plan to use plaster cast rather than Linka moulding first off as its a. cheaper b. easier to get hold of c. have some from when I made my rocks. The Linka site has fee plans, although I got some of those too from the same seller. I must admit having got Cs I am now tempted by a castle. 

Any way shall look forward to you and Mrs Sasquatch returning to modelling. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jaz

While packing last week I stumbled across my abbey molds, would you still like them? Problem is I'm not sure where I have packed them, they shouldn't be too hard to find after all there's only about 50-60 boxes of modeling stuff!! 

Shaun.

No it will cost you to post them, but it's very kind of you to offer. Had we been in the same country I might have considered 'borrowing them' but I got mine at a reasonable price, and if I wreck 'em need not feel bad about it.and the post men our end are a bit iffy.

But if you give me the numbers on the rubber moulds, when you get to the other end and are unpacked, or even remember the plan name if there was one, I would find that useful. I still plan to have a close look at your blog and then my moulds, I may turn out to be really lucky. I'll let you know if I can identify anything.

You could answer me a question though, did you use the linka liquid or use plaster, and did you coat the rubber to make it easier to remove the mould? Or could that weck the drying process. Any tricks from someone who has used them successfully would be immensely helpful.

Answer when you have a chance, I know your busy.

I have 4As (the old As - is there even a difference between old numbers and new ones?) 4Cs (the old castle ones i believe) and a couple of Rs the roof bits come with some natty windows. THe plans that came with them are definitely covered for a bunch of options. I need to make some so I don't have to think in reverse and then see if I have the bits to make the arches. And I am busy with Kal re configuring our layout. Several issues including points over or under track on a different level are all going because it drives us nuts squeezing into small places peering and trying to do stuff by feel. As Arboretum Valley was our first layout we made complicated layouts which when working were truly wonderful....but once you had an issue it was no fun at all getting into tweak or repair, and considering we are only going to get older, it is much better to address these issues. 

Thanking you in advance.

• RMweb Premium

I used 2 part liquid casting plastic. This stuff wrecks the linka moulds which are for use with plaster only. If you want to get serious with Linka make new RV rubber moulds from perfect plaster castings then cast in two part plastic or resin.  The advantages are it becomes a whole lot stronger, the models will last a life time and the process goes 48 times faster. It is less messy too!

I found the plaster casting system a nightmare but casting in plastic is a dream for modelers! That abbey took about a week! It was the most fun I had next to forming the landscape with rasps.

regards Shaun.   

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Two quarts of the two part plastic and the RV rubber mouding compound cost $50 or there abouts. compared to $24 for the same amount of suitable plaster.

The linka plaster castings take ages to dry compared to 30 minutes for the two part plastic.

Also bare in mind that I have many other moulds made from one pot of RV rubber. Any  two part plastic that is left over is never wasted and smaller castings such as uncoupler plates are cast!!

So the extra out lay sort of pays for itself in the end.

• Like 1

Mr and Mrs Sasquatch

Nice modelling, and the second picture is really well positioned, the tree in the distance looks real, as does the signal, the gate the two tone road and the greenery both on the road and the house are well don as well, if you had covered the gap under the covered coal I think people would fail to realise it was a model.

I like the greenery in he 3rd picture too. is the church Linka? The stained glass is not the same design as the Abbey moulds above. But as you are clearly making others.

Oh and in the first picture, Morses (Inspector Morse TV series) jaguar is great, and I like the Frys advert, lighting and the excellent back wall. All these things pay dividends for the time it took you to sort them. And yet for no reason I can put my finger on it is not s believable as the second picture. Having access to real light I like to use morning light or preferably dusk light, it adds a lot to the atmosphere. A bet if you did an almost dark picture with those lights switched on, you could pop it on how believable is your model thread. Beautiful work lots of detail.

SO jealous.