Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Bragdon Enterprises Ca. I try to find it in stores and at shows because the shipping's outragious. I need the RV rubber mould for upcoming viaduct, roofing, factory & terraced housing projects.

I will start with a retaining wall pannel.

• RMweb Premium

Thankyou for your encouragement. There is still much to do on this layout, I must admit to rushing it (It was booked for the local model railroad show in 2011) and have been happy just to watch the trains on it since. Last year I took Dunster to the show which was assembled at home after for a change and we have been too busy since to get anything done. My son was here for 6 weeks during which time I planned to do some work on it and make videos, alas he has lost interest in model railways any longer (into girls and punk).

Jaz. I have a fair bit of knowledge with Linka so please feel free to ask anything.

Regards Shaun

Thank you. I don't doubt once I start using it I will bend your ear after that generous offer It will be a week or two as Kal and I are are using his holiday to have a major rethink on our layout.

Several of the station on the North Yorkshire Moors have castles nearby  :sungum: The likelihood of us doing a second station Levisham being favourite at the moment is getting higher and higher.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jaz

There are some wills granite sets waiting to be placed in front of the lime drops and a brass hand rail for the steps and ramp. 

Mrs Sasquatch might just do a blog on her trees! We found a bamboo plant which grows in most yards arround here that has berry sprigs which when stripped of berries makes great trees.

These are woodland scenics

post-8964-0-84034600-1377104465.jpg

These, bamboo berry sprigs...

post-8964-0-10943500-1377104704_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Bragdon Enterprises Ca. I try to find it in stores and at shows because the shipping's outragious.

I used Bragdon rock molds and resin products for the white portions in the shot below. Freaking scary process, especially wrangling the enormous mold used for the front of Mount Hogwarts, but I'm very happy with the results. The beige parts are cast in Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty - very tough, messy and heavy, but easy and reliable. I also used Durhams for blending/hand sculpting. After coating all with a flat white gesso, no discernible difference in how the surfaces took acrylic paint washes.

bare_zps302fbe4e.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Here is something different which we hope you might enjoy.

It has been a while since my last entry, in the meanwhile we have found a nice little house in the country on 3 ache’s which has a lengthy building for my cabinet business and a double detached garage for the dream layout. All three buildings need some work which will keep me busy for a while.

Anyhow the plan is to take apart the layout man cave which resides in my man cave (Triple garage/workshop) and put it into storage until the new place is situated such that one of the layouts can be erected temporarily in one of the rooms while the Garage is made suitable for model train use.

So picture step by step might make an interesting post!

post-8964-0-75148200-1377807270.jpg

post-8964-0-23997200-1377807252.jpg

post-8964-0-69752400-1377807303.jpg

post-8964-0-43698400-1377807324.jpg

• Like 7

Here is something different which we hope you might enjoy.

It has been a while since my last entry, in the meanwhile we have found a nice little house in the country on 3 ache’s which has a lengthy building for my cabinet business and a double detached garage for the dream layout. All three buildings need some work which will keep me busy for a while.

Anyhow the plan is to take apart the layout man cave which resides in my man cave (Triple garage/workshop) and put it into storage until the new place is situated such that one of the layouts can be erected temporarily in one of the rooms while the Garage is made suitable for model train use.

So picture step by step might make an interesting post!

attachicon.gifDSCF9033.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF9034.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF9036.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF9037.JPG

Excellent. You can see you're a cabinet-maker by your baseboards. Mine show I'm a wood-butcher, and I'm not kidding! Power-drills and self-tapping wood-screws are OK if you're tender on the trigger. But, a couple of tins of Carlsberg Special on board, splits the board!

Your new place sounds ace! (Jealous) But I suppose I'm fortunate compared to many. Having said which, when we bought the place back in 1975 it was 'cos there was train-room. Too much life got in the way, though. Advice to others: don't think about it - indulge your passion while you have the health. What with her ladyship and my own petty-maladies I'm too Donald-ducked half the time these days. Getting nowhere fast (cue violins - LOL!)

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

So about 100 minutes later.

post-8964-0-97510500-1377813366.jpg

The fiddle yard in bits, which serves two layouts.

post-8964-0-77131200-1377813548.jpg

This pic shows the 3 Goathland boards with thier guts hanging out, just as much going on beneath as on top!

post-8964-0-93639100-1377813616.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

:(

Barely made it to the storage facility before closing and had to wait for the nice lady to go to the bank, then got stuck in traffic on I5 so ran out of time to do a second run. Will go early tomorrow.

post-8964-0-86486000-1377833065.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch

Sasquatch (and everybody else)

I hope you checked the store o make sure there was no leaks, water would be a killer, lifting important items off ground on wood chucks always useful in case they stay in longer than expected. Also do have your own lock on this?

We once used an expensive national service for moving, and the last thing going to be packed away was a new fangled answer phone (very expensive in those days) it was only a month or so old and went back into its box (kept in case of breakdown and needing to be returned to shop) and I locked it in a roll top desk, and as went to go out, the roll top could not go through the door, so I had to unscrew the top. So it was in two bits (forgot the lock was no use when in two bits) at the other end one of the first things I did was go get the phone....to find an EMPTY box. They would not pay out, they claimed no one would steal an empty box. But they had. Never used that company again. Next time ensure all valuable locked carefully or in car with us....one time that didn't help car got stolen! Never let your car look like it is full of goodies. It also had all the kids and families Xmas goodies all packed in bright paper. Stopped at father in laws for an hour and a cup of tea, came out car gone!!!! Been burgled twice, two different homes. Not been burgled whilst owned dobermans (got burgled once BETWEEN dogs i.e. dog died, we got a full grown rescue doberman) .

Point of storey, when storing or moving ensure nothing looks nick able don't leave goodies at front of store, so when it is opened people can see, and ensure blankets or duvets or something is thrown over stuff so it is not drawing attention. Having smug dobermnn sat in car....a bonus...although my girls don't like going in car they think.....VETS!!!!!!

Back to topic, good stuff behind the scenes information not seen before so interesting.  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Thank for the advise Jaz! It sounds like things have not improved since 1999.

When my ex moved to England her Kawazaki went missing within 12 hours, we did find it, I knew who to ask having lived there for 30 years!

Its not going to rain until at least November. So no worries there!!! :sungum:

People don't steal arround here in fear of being shot! Not that I'm a fan of fire arms. Just the fact that you are allowed them deters most crime!

Shaun

Can't sleep for some reason

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah the dreaded I-5, its much like the M25 in peak hours when we have used it apart from that it goes North - South rather than in a big circle!!

Good luck with the move and getting the new railway room sorted out. The new place does sound good.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Got the keys this evening and went out celebrating. Its Mrs S's first house purchase and more years than I care to remember for me. We ate sushi till we burst and drank too many beers. got home and went to spend a little time with the puppys then fell asleep with them, head in dog house. What a great day! 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Is the top one your plot? And are they tracks either side? Its rather dark in the pic.

Glad you're getting to the end - or, rather, the START! :D

Tony.

Thats Mt McLoughlin and you don't want to try going up there! There's a trail but it is the hardest hike in Southern Oregon.

Sorry for the bad pic of the dunster boards in the back of my truck, I did take about 10 shots and that was the best one.  

Picked up a big trailer for the move yesterday and am having fun driving a 35 foot long rig about, got to get it it all loaded up for when SWMBO gets home. 

My incentive to get the house renovation done is that I can get one of the layouts back up and running.

Ah the dreaded I-5, its much like the M25 in peak hours when we have used it apart from that it goes North - South rather than in a big circle!!

Good luck with the move and getting the new railway room sorted out. The new place does sound good.

Ian

We use I5 all the time but it's not as bad as down in the Bay Area. When I took my son down to San Francisco airport It took 3 hours just to get over the bay bridge on the way back. Its the car pool lane that gets me totally unfair in my situation. (The old blood presure was on the rise untill I saw one chap with two blow up dolls in it! Clever.!!) Then its a boring straight run until Reading and after that I must admit to having too much fun in the dark dodging semis and dear.

Will post pics of the new layout building when we get back tonite!

Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff, S!

I must get a pick up too  to totally assimilate.....

Best, Pete.

Couldn't live without mine! Its my first car BTW, having always been on 2 wheels in Europe!

Shaun  

• Like 1