Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Shaun wrote: "Couldn't live without mine! Its my first car BTW, having always been on 2 wheels in Europe!"

While stationed at RAF Upper Heyford, I was a riding member of "Harley Davidson Riders of Great Briton"

Bought the bike in Ogden, UT, shipped to the UK in my household goods, paid my road tax and sold it to a bike shop just before I left 2 years later for well more than I paid for it new.

I miss that scoot.

-Clay

Edited by cgraham
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We've been so busy moving and demolishing stuff that pictures have been last on the adgenda.

Only one to show the framing of Goathlands last home which served me so well!

The new building is 26' x 19', one foot too short  for my original plan (Goathland being 20'). So it looks like we will be extending it to include the incline to the north.

There is also room to do away with the set track curves!!

post-8964-0-63790700-1378104363.jpg

• Like 2

As time allows shall enjoy see you reworking Goathland, we are doing the same, stripped all off, room looks very sad, however once we get all the levels it will be green a gain. If your looking at the various building check our thread as I have been sizing them all, with pictures of the models, am still part way through process.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The wood working shop is up and running in our new garage but I can't see much getting done as every time I go in there my mind wanders to how the new layout is going to be. My head is buzzing with ideas!

What with that and sitting on the front porch with a cold beer listening to the creek and birds and watching the squirrels and deer it might be a while before anything gets going. Our internet company can't cover us that far up in the woods and it could be some time before we get hooked up. 

Sasquatch will be back on here with a vengence when it turns cold so don't panic.

Shaun. Taking life off the grid in the Oregon woods for a while.

post-8964-0-91513200-1378270630.jpg

• Like 6

The wood working shop is up and running in our new garage but I can't see much getting done as every time I go in there my mind wanders to how the new layout is going to be. My head is buzzing with ideas!

What with that and sitting on the front porch with a cold beer listening to the creek and birds and watching the squirrels and deer it might be a while before anything gets going. Our internet company can't cover us that far up in the woods and it could be some time before we get hooked up. 

Sasquatch will be back on here with a vengence when it turns cold so don't panic.

Shaun. Taking life off the grid in the Oregon woods for a while.

attachicon.gifIMG_0205.JPGly

It looks heavenly. I'm green with envy! Looking forward to when you are able.

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four

I agree looks gorgeous, picture perfect, and a swing. especially like the creek, sound of water is divine, best we can manage is a natural pond. Our birds are mostly pesky doves and pigeons, although clacking pheasants (one of cats proudly brought a half grown one this week and left it by the door when we ignored his offering he sat and scoffed it bar the wings I'm not sure about the body but the feet and head looked full grown, and others do abound, plus a robin is always around. we leave our unused apples on the ground for the blackbirds, late plums are always taken by the wasps and bees, our arboretum is coming up but a walk in the Oregon wood in fall with all those reds and yellows sound heaven. I would need a really big bag to collect all the seed.

Will speak when you get back 'on line' so you two enjoy, I would.

• RMweb Premium

Here's the new layout building ,note the new sat dish(So much for being off the grid, huh). The house renovation comes first though so my woodwork shop is set up in there for now as it is closer than the barn.

I plan to take the doors off and replace with wall and windows. It will need rewiring,insulation,a ceiling, some of that cheep clic-fit fake wood flooring and drywall. Oh and a heater. There is also a stack of second hand kitchen doors ready to go on the under layout storage which also needs building.

What with Mrs Sasquatches new bathrooms, kitchen and tv den   I've definately got my work cut out.

post-8964-0-06308500-1378946506_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7

Here's the new layout building ,note the new sat dish(So much for being off the grid, huh). The house renovation comes first though so my woodwork shop is set up in there for now as it is closer than the barn.

I plan to take the doors off and replace with wall and windows. It will need rewiring,insulation,a ceiling, some of that cheep clic-fit fake wood flooring and drywall. Oh and a heater. There is also a stack of second hand kitchen doors ready to go on the under layout storage which also needs building.

What with Mrs Sasquatches new bathrooms, kitchen and tv den   I've definately got my work cut out.

attachicon.gifgarage1.JPG

Looks perfect! - green with envy, again... And you certainly have a lot on your hands, but it'll be a great adventure, fitting out the perfect home.

Regards,

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony, it took a week to move in all our stuff and get things clean and tidy.  

We can't believe our good luck and keep expecting someone to show up and explain some sort of mistake about the price or something.

So far we have fixed electrical problems, redecorated the kitchen, set up my workshop altered the back deck and made a pathway along the creek. Can't do much more as it's in the 90s here! 

Regards Shaun.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The house move went well and the renovation is well under way having redecorated the kitchen and ripped out the main bedroom and on suite.
Work now has moved to the garage where rewiring is urgent due to limited amps, the work shop is set up in there but I can't run the machines.  There are 2 sockets/outlets but they are connected to the lighting circuit.
The wiring is old and not up to code so a complete rewire is needed and this will be done  with a view to the future conversion into the railway building.
So far the first box in the lighting circuit was full of mud put there by mud-daubers  and wires spliced with electrical tape which had lost its tack. Dang Dangerous to say the least! Also encountered the biggest black-widow-spider you could ever not wish to see.

Shaun  (wearing a haz-mat suit)

• Like 2

The house move went well and the renovation is well under way having redecorated the kitchen and ripped out the main bedroom and on suite.

Work now has moved to the garage where rewiring is urgent due to limited amps, the work shop is set up in there but I can't run the machines.  There are 2 sockets/outlets but they are connected to the lighting circuit.

The wiring is old and not up to code so a complete rewire is needed and this will be done  with a view to the future conversion into the railway building.

So far the first box in the lighting circuit was full of mud put there by mud-daubers  and wires spliced with electrical tape which had lost its tack. Dang Dangerous to say the least! Also encountered the biggest black-widow-spider you could ever not wish to see.

Shaun  (wearing a haz-mat suit)

Followed links to both creatures: the widow is something of a cliché of its kind - bloody nasty! - but I hadn't heard of the other. Be glad you don't have the Oz tunnel-web spider that lives down the WC, poised to sting yer sphericals...

Otherwise, dodgy wiring was a common source of domestic fires, quite apart from the potential shocks, and wiring sockets from the lighting circuit is really dumb. BTW, what voltage do you use? Its like a dream to me that I heard it was substantially less than our 240v, but I might be imagining it.

Anyway, well done on the progress. :) Oh, and you caught me out again, your closing code being - somehow - miles away from your text, so I got caught in the middle!. Can you see it like that, or is it just in quoted responses? Whatever, I had to copy/paste/cut so that I'm not in your text... :( :D lol!

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony, here is a post I made on GWIWERs Penhayle-bay cornish layout down under.

Pest control is an ongoing task. Our biggest challenge is our two border collie pups one of which runs off with any tool you put down!
We have two types of wasp here, paper and mud daubers the latter are a real nusance because they build mud nests inside electrical boxes
The deer are like giant rats and I won't mention the spiders.
I found bear scat up by the barn and the guy down the road reccons the people across the street have seen a couger several times. No wonder our 3 cats are too scared to go out. :scared:  :scared:  :scared: 
Back in the UK you see a mouse and call in the local council to deal with it! :laugh: 

We also have brown-recluse spiders here, which can be very dangerous. The paper wasps have been dealt with though by means of  some fake nests I found in the pet store. The wasps think its real and won't come within 200'. 

Just got back from the Home Depot with $250 worth of elecrtical supplies and I hope twelve 20A sockets will be enough for such a big railway. North American domestic supply is 110V rated 20A but without ring-main. Some appliances such as cookers, dryers etc must have a 220V dedicated supply in which the 110V is doubled! 

Much safer by miles.

The mixed up "Quoted responses" happened to me a couple of times too. Baffled!! :dontknow:

Today I also moved all the trains and modelling paraphernalia into the very cosy attic/bedroom so modelling during these early evenings has become possible.

We may even be able to fit Dunster in the other attic bedroom if we can get it up the silly staircase but then I doubt anything will get done.

Regards Shaun.

You are clearly motoring on sorting out the outside, and make sure you are sorted and 'safe' before you commence modelling, and while you have the weather that is certainly the way to go, hope if you get cold winter weather and snow you are set up for firewood/or other and food, dried food stores well and if you have the snow you have the water.

sounds like you are perfecting you bit of paradise, and taking natural precautions, hope you have a gun for the just in case. Bins well away from the house etc. Although I am sure you have checked stuff out carefully.

In due time Shall be happy to see you put your skills to good use on the layout. Meantime am enjoying the 'back' story.  :D

I suppose with the longer summer you are getting rich yellows and reds on the trees you lucky lucky man.....

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jaz, yes the maples are slowly turning. We won't shoot the wild life as there are too many out there who do! Mountain lion and bear attacks are rare as are rattle snake bites, deer kill more people and are far more dangerous, you can't drive fast arround here.

The mud daubers work.....

post-8964-0-26577800-1379881184.jpg

Two shots showing early days

post-8964-0-00058100-1379881199_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-07602900-1379881216_thumb.jpg

And this showing todays work load

post-8964-0-41800100-1379881236.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the compliment. Our station walls are Wills random stone. The walls to the beck are  Plastruct O gauge stone and those girders are Wills Vari Girder packs, 2 of them. most of which were cut in half, with micro strip built up for the railing.

Shaun.

Hi Shaun,

I've finally started getting my version of "Goathland" underway, although having to use some modellers licence due to space constraints!

Could I ask is your cattle dock scratch built or a kit/Skaledale type structure?

Also, the colouring you've used on the platform walls & the beck, what colour is it?

Many thanks,

Hi Jaz, yes the maples are slowly turning. We won't shoot the wild life as there are too many out there who do! Mountain lion and bear attacks are rare as are rattle snake bites, deer kill more people and are far more dangerous, you can't drive fast arround here.

The mud daubers work.....

attachicon.gifDSCF9091.JPG

Two shots showing early days

attachicon.gifDSCF9093.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF9095.JPG

And this showing todays work load

attachicon.gifDSCF9097.JPG

Hi Shaun,

I do like this varied detail stuff. Going beyond the modelling itself it helps to give us a picture of all you're up to. Keep 'em coming! - Time permitting of course. :D

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark, great to know work is under way on your layout. 

The cattle dock is scratch built using evergreen plastic strip with wills planking for the deck and peco fencing. the steps are cardboard with styrene used again for the edges.

My stone colour is from crafters acrylics and varies a lot because I mixed a few colours up but not enough. Point is I'm not happy with the colour of any of the stone work on Goathland and am repainting all of it like this .

• RMweb Premium

Hi Shaun,

I do like this varied detail stuff. Going beyond the modelling itself it helps to give us a picture of all you're up to. Keep 'em coming! - Time permitting of course. :D

Tony.

Hi Tony, Yesterday and today I've been taking out my frustations on that rotten ranch fence seen through the windows in the 2nd pic above, its almost gone except for a few stubborn posts.

• Like 1

Hi Mark, great to know work is under way on your layout. 

The cattle dock is scratch built using evergreen plastic strip with wills planking for the deck and peco fencing. the steps are cardboard with styrene used again for the edges.

My stone colour is from crafters acrylics and varies a lot because I mixed a few colours up but not enough. Point is I'm not happy with the colour of any of the stone work on Goathland and am repainting all of it like this .

Hi Shaun and thanks for your reply. I'll look forward to seeing your repainted stonework although if I get anywhere near the results you have I'll be very happy!

Your cattle dock is fantastic, think I'll bed using a kit or resin model, at least to start with anyway. Can I asked what the gates are that you've used either side of the barrow crossing at the ticket office end of the platform?

• RMweb Premium

The cattle dock was real easy to do. All fencing in the vacinity of the barrow crossing is Ratio products The gates from the GWR pack!

Crafters acrylic sandstone with a ruddy dark grey/burnt siena dry brushed over, then shamrock and forest moss added to give life.

post-8964-0-22708900-1380089977_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic showing how I did that steel plate girder bridge with two Wills vari girder packs 

post-8964-0-21655700-1380090009_thumb.jpg

And a shot of preserved class 4 mogal waiting for the oncoming train to slog up the bank so that it can leave.

post-8964-0-81084300-1380090197_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Here are two pics that show the stone work to good effect.

LNER GE section 52'6" BG. Ian kirk kit with MJT detail parts.

post-8964-0-96108300-1380090839_thumb.jpg

The Hull & Barnsley loco coal is a slaters kit. The coke is lettered with a sir name local to the Whitby area. Woodland scenics dry trnsferes on an old Ratio kit. 

post-8964-0-17142500-1380090959.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1