Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

The cattle dock was real easy to do. All fencing in the vacinity of the barrow crossing is Ratio products The gates from the GWR pack!

Crafters acrylic sandstone with a ruddy dark grey/burnt siena dry brushed over, then shamrock and forest moss added to give life.

attachicon.gifgoathland station 9.JPG

Here is a pic showing how I did that steel plate girder bridge with two Wills vari girder packs 

attachicon.gifbridges 3.JPG

And a shot of preserved class 4 mogal waiting for the oncoming train to slog up the bank so that it can leave.

attachicon.gifDSCF2483.JPG

Cheers for the info and also for the fantastic pics. I'll post some of mine as I progress!
  • Like 2

very much enjoying this blog, hats off to the both of you for a wonderful layout all the more amazing seeing how far away you are. Keep up the good work and after seeing the photo's on here my wife wans to have ago on our next one so see what you two have started. Regards Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

Sasquatch,

Re-worked my point rodding and made a number of other upgrades to Hogsmeade Station including flowering plants per Mrs. Sasquatch's inspiring artistry. I'll be showing it and the Hogwarts castle at the Mid-Eastern Region (MER) , National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) Convention next week in Rockville, MD. http://home.comcast.net/~candp2013/

I also made some serious upgrades to Hogwarts boathouse - will post photos during/after the convention.

Cheers,

-Clay

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What luck, today I have come across some more old pictures of Goathland on our Yellowstone road trip SD card!

Not the best quality but I feel worth posting none-the-less.

One of the yard end with preserved class 24 on shunting duty.

post-8964-0-43639500-1380680097_thumb.jpg

One of my best performers J94 8006 making an appearence at the war weekend event.

post-8964-0-89150100-1380680323_thumb.jpg

Scratch built 25ton NE bogie van looking drab amongst the vegetation.

post-8964-0-32021700-1380680434_thumb.jpg

Vermin balancing thier diets from the Birch Hall Inns Trash.

post-8964-0-59142600-1380680631_thumb.jpg

Mrs Sasquatches beautiful post office garden.

post-8964-0-70842200-1380680762_thumb.jpg

LNER 8693 simmers on the coal drop siding while the driver is having evening tea with the signalman

One wonders how one could afford a shiny new Vauxhall on a signalmans wage in 1944.

post-8964-0-86994500-1380680887_thumb.jpg

Splendid A4 Golden Eagle with the teak rake filling her tank at Goathland.

post-8964-0-31908500-1380681457_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

As we make the descision to research and improve our Goathland, I cannot help and admire just how accurate and detailed your work already is. Your positioning of features such as the cattle grid, the shape of the carpark, the wall behind where the camping coaches go, the use of two types of fence by the carpark, the slope from the pedestrian crossing up to the bridge and the weigh bridge, and the path leading off the other side and the planting area, the black fencing and white gates, all carefully researched.

Is the post office a cameo of a specific building?

The lighting is wonderful.

Excellent pictures. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jaz,

The post office started out as a Wills Craftsman kit. Iused different sheets to that supplied and made a crude card interior. I think Mrs Sasquatch used a Busch kit to do that garden right down to the toady on the water butt. I must admit to having Holmfirth of 'Last Of The Summer Wine' fame in mind when laying out the village. Dave Shakespears 'Tetley Mills' was also inspirational. There are elements of Harry potter in there along with scenes from Beck Hole and of course Whitby.

The grand layout will be set in the West Riding where L&Y, GNR and NE lines merge in one dale I don't think there is a suitable prototype so I will be melding scenes from all over including the West Vale, Greetland to Holywell Green branch, and the KWVR.  

Stuff like this  

post-8964-0-07157900-1380737027.jpg

post-8964-0-95382400-1380737069.jpg

post-8964-0-49703000-1380737094_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, I was looking through your pictures and they are going to help with my detailing project when I get arround to it. Great stuff! The one thing that helped with getting it to look right, was taking on the idea of using open frame baseboards which allowed all the different levels to be recreated I was lucky with the gradients and put this down to the amount of cant  which also is great fun to watch!

Well you (Sasquatch)  have broken the ground, allowing us to see a very high level of modelling which must therefore be achievable. (cross fingers) Plus you and clay/cgraham have been really nice to share some of the ways you achieved it, and there some people who won't share and some people who do their modelling off the cuff and when asked can't share because they have forgotten (been there done that got the T shirt). So we have two great modellers not just sharing modelling tips but interested in the exact same station. Which is brilliant.

And as you are up for tweaking yours in its new home, Silky_Jack has been able to get into those spots that google just cant go giving you optional new features. Oh deja vu....did I say this before?

Anyways         :sungum:

Oh then we have the Goathland purist, the era, the TV series and Film buffs aspects. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I posted this image on the "Show us your police cars" thread and then deleted it as this was in the USA & Canadian railroads forum.   So I'll post it here where it should be.

It's the wrong cop on the wrong TV set though.

post-8964-0-20937100-1380864978_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Love Morse, and a clever subtle reference too :sungum:  our collection of TV / Film cars is so large now squeezing them all in takes some doing, choosing appropriate 'people' even more complicated. 

Love the white gates, have you consider the bins as shown on google earth? A blue and a green wheelie? and the larger ones by the gates?

• RMweb Premium

The thing is I'd like this layout set in LNER days and am sure there was no foot bridge but 3 sidings behind the office (which must have been NE pale blue and off white) some of the signals have been moved also.

Over all not much different than it is today.

The third siding appart It shouldn't be too hard to make the layout with a choice of period, the buildings are RTP after all. I'll need to aquire or scratchbuild some more but it would be worth it.

If only I had more time.

• RMweb Premium

Here are some links to old pics of Goathland

1939 showing the winestone crusher and shute.

Notice how tidy everything appears and where the trees are.

1975 With what looks like blue grey DMU without yellow ends.

This chaps work is realy good.

Edited by Sasquatch

Here are some links to old pics of Goathland1939 showing the winestone crusher and shute.

Notice how tidy everything appears and where the trees are.1975 With what looks like blue grey DMU without yellow ends.1969This chaps work is realy good.

Great pics thanks for sharing those. I knew the footbridge was never there & has been added. I wonder where it came from?

• RMweb Premium

what cap

I knew the footbridge was never there & has been added. I wonder where it came from?

I'll try to find out. What caught my eye in the 1975 pic is that the office sits futher back on the platform which we know from Brois's article but it had a brick chimney stack.

Other things of note from 1939 are the big tree which appears to be growing out of the coal pens, lack of fencing in the yard, the ground dole on the bridge which has its opperating equipment run over the bridge twice and the GWR  or GE van.  

Found this 

GOATHLAND NORTH YORK MOORS RAILWAY NZ824005 20/122 Footbridge linking platforms at Goathland Station GV II Footbridge. c.1900, restored 1986. For the North-Eastern Railway Company. Painted cast iron frame with timber steps and decking. Bridge is raked on each side of flat centre section and has graceful elliptical arch between open, square-on-plan piers. Piers have round arches beneath pierced spandrels on all sides. Flights of steps return at each end to platforms. Railings to steps and bridge are horizontal with diagonal-cross bracing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmph.

1969 - no point rodding...

2670.jpg

Oh no now I've got to get a Heljan railbus :resent:

Lovely picture Clay. I really like the sparten look due to lack of platform furniture and tourists.

• RMweb Premium

I tried looking at the 1939 picture, and is it possible the footbridge was here...removed...restored.....replaced? Look closely at the end of the 1939 platform.

Great pictures from all btw.

Oh yeah! I would bet it was smaller and wonder what colour the North Eastern would have painted them.

Shaun, sitting at the computer fully stuffed with left over homemade organic spagetti bolognaise/ fritatta sandwich when I should be rewiring that garage ( nearly finished).

• RMweb Premium

I have just noticed how black the stone is in Clays 1969 picture. Work on some repaints this weekend I feel, time permiting.

Here's 3 that got repainted and forgotten about.

post-8964-0-54886800-1380993814_thumb.jpg

• Like 3