Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

I was a bit scared to remove that popcorn ceiling but it only took 20 minutes and probably wasn't asbestos anyway!

Before anybody points out that wasn't the mask used on the job and I had industrial rubber gloves on! 

• RMweb Premium

This is what I have to remove in our new place in a few weeks, luckily only one 16 ft wall of it :O BUT it will come in handy for lining out one side of the New Den. :locomotive: :locomotive:

attachicon.gifAvon Close 010.JPG

attachicon.gifAvon Close 012.JPG

Do you want a Job? :no: :no: :no:

Bodge :sungum:

It's pulling the nails I hate. The last guy who owned this house had an axe and a hammer!!  There's not a screw anywhere.

I'll pack all the tools in my truck and see you in March then Andy :drag:

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic:

Talking about the Truck. I've got to run into town to get some more primer and some gorgonzola for this big pasta bake I'm making for tonight's dinner party. Ooh we're out of beer!!! Very important!!!!!!!!  :drink_mini:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sasquatch post 372

Do you shave your hands? Surely they should be a little hairier?

Lovely work

The left one is very hairy, on account of the piece of my forearm they sowed onto the back of it. Creep-py!!

• RMweb Premium

I do want a motive power depot. There's an ash hoist and coal hole water tower waiting.

The idea of hidden sidings here and there, is because a fiddle yard would take up a lot of space in the building that will house 4 interconnected layouts! It is also better that trains can run from one section to another, then onto a hidden siding instead of needing to traverse the entire layout!

The trains must do more than just run in circles! I'm bored with that!!

So yes, lots of lift off sections like with Dunster. 

A faller road system would be nice too. Dream on Shaun. Dream on...... 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sasquatch, I am really excited my the prospect of this new build you will be doing.  I CAN'T WAIT in fact!  ;)

Please make sure you keep plenty of pics coming.  :angel:

Loving the work on the room so far too :D

Here you go then Ian.

As there has been a lull in modeling pics lately, I bring you some of the structures I have made over the past two years.

Some may have been posted before on this thread or elsewhere. Sorry there's no step-by-step, I'll do this at a latter date when more buildings are constructed!  

The Coal Hole.     Still under construction, uses plastic card O stone sheets on foam board. The tank needs redoing in styrene. windows are cut down leftovers from D.P.M. modulars.

post-8964-0-81553800-1390851867_thumb.jpg

Ash hoist. Knightwing and Wills. 

post-8964-0-14464800-1390852080.jpg

Goods shed is the Wills kit extended with a roof from an American warehouse kit. 

post-8964-0-76156000-1390852235_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-14084200-1390852369_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-61184500-1390852393_thumb.jpg

Atkinson, Foggett & Laycock Wills again.

post-8964-0-02436400-1390852439_thumb.jpg

The ruined church is Linka cast in plastic just like the Abbey! this one will be overgrown with weeds and ivy!

post-8964-0-66746900-1390852575_thumb.jpg

More shortly.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Lofthouses Mill started out life as two Pola engine houses picked up at the local show for $1 each. O gauge brick sheet was used to anglasize them. Smoke stack is from a Walthers Factory kit which has been kit bashed and is buried in a box somewhere in the attic, more on that later.

Lofthouse make webbing for the troops in their half relief mill which will sit at the back on a hill. 

post-8964-0-47759800-1390852924_thumb.jpg  

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

All of the following structures are made from foam board with embossed plastic sheets.

The Wool Pack pub was my first true scratch build and wouldn't look too out of place in Huddersfield.

post-8964-0-70329400-1390853874_thumb.jpg

The small brewery is based on some N gauge models, unavailable in OO, I decided to make my own.  

post-8964-0-33145300-1390853901_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-65339300-1390853922_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-39913800-1390853946_thumb.jpg

Anyone recognize the farm?

post-8964-0-90818500-1390854005_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-06043500-1390854020_thumb.jpg

Warehouse is based on a Midland Railway design. Half relief again, it is redundant from my shelf layout called Avon park.  

post-8964-0-93597000-1390854060_thumb.jpg

The small mill only took a weekend and a few evenings. Once the technique was mastered I moved on to greater things. Make shed before you build a house sort of approach! 

post-8964-0-17569000-1390854076_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This textile mill is based on one in West Vale.

Here's the link to the  build , which I must get on and finish. All those windows need galzing and I'm not in the right frame of mind to do it. So send me some good juju!!! 

post-8964-0-98784200-1390855207.jpg

post-8964-0-95543300-1390855224.jpg

post-8964-0-82394400-1390855241.jpg

• Like 7

I agree, absolutely fantastic modelling, will really look forward to seeing this all in place and displayed. When you get more organised, anything you did on the build of each of these would be fascinating. Seeing what you have done before this is going to be a dream of a build.

Wonderful!

They'll be excellent to put down and move around - give your layout a sense of scale from the word go.

I  too look forward to the build although I realise we may have to be (can't remember how to spell) patient. Going brain-dead as well as everything else!

Tony.

Utterly depressed :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Yes! there' s more too. And some still to be built including a derelict mill, big brick warehouse 30" long a long carriage shed,  smaller engine house, 4 signal boxes, another pub, small rows of houses  and a model of Gibson Mill.

Will put up some more pictures when I find some more time.   

I plan to make a stone press for retaining walls and do some casting of terraced house fronts, tunnel portholes and building segments. 

• Like 3

There are times - many times! - when I wish I'd chosen an area where stone is common for structures. Mine are all red brick and there's no simple way around it. It's either brick paper, some of which is very good (Scalescenes) but lacks 3D texture, or plastic which means complex painting to be effective.

Any other options? - pm me!

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

There are times - many times! - when I wish I'd chosen an area where stone is common for structures. Mine are all red brick and there's no simple way around it. It's either brick paper, some of which is very good (Scalescenes) but lacks 3D texture, or plastic which means complex painting to be effective.

Any other options? - pm me!

Tony.

Plastic is my preferred medium, the brick coloured kind. First pick out a few bricks with a black sharpie/marker. Then wash on some thinned crafters acrylic mortar colour and wipe over the bricks with a paper towel. Dry brush with crafters acrylic brick red and terracotta from a pallet. When dry (over night) use thinned matt black Humbol enamel. I add acrylic moss green too.

Here preaches the artist! :mail:

Oooooh tips, my favourite bit. Are you likely to add another Linka to the stable? Would love to see your take on building with it. The weather should be warm enough soon for me to start messing with mine in the garage. If I get enough time.