Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Yes! there' s more too. And some still to be built including a derelict mill, big brick warehouse 30" long a long carriage shed,  smaller engine house, 4 signal boxes, another pub, small rows of houses  and a model of Gibson Mill.

Will put up some more pictures when I find some more time.   

I plan to make a stone press for retaining walls and do some casting of terraced house fronts, tunnel portholes and building segments. 

Gulp.....and to think at this point in time I am building myself up to attempt a scratch built engine shed......  ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So I have been busy doing a bit of research on Queensbury station.
The line closed to passenger traffic in 1955 when only the East signal box remained. There were 7 station buildings, one in stone the others Great Northern wooden structures which seem to have lost their canopies at some time
The 3 arched viaduct was 44yards long and had some substantial woodwork holding up the platforms on it. From the bridge over Brook Lane to the tunnel toward Halifax was 426 yards according to Google earth. That’s 17’ in OO scale.
Most trains would have been N1s with Gresley twin sets or a pair of Thompson non corridors. Various pictures on the internet show J50s, a J6, J39 and WD8f.
These links have great pictures and will give some idea of what I’m faced with on this part of the GUN project. There’s nothing but land fill there today!!
http://www.queensburyrailway.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2h.html
http://www.queensburyrailway.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2i.html

The line from Holmfield to the joint line junction at Halifax was originally G. N & L. & Y. joint property and was know as the Halifax & Ovenden Joint Line, which now forms part of the Eastern Region. Halifax Old Station, formerly under the jurisdiction of the L&NW & GN Joint Stations Committee, is now included in the London Midland Region. The line from Holmfield to St. Paul’s Station, formerly controlled by the Halifax High Level Joint Committee and maintained by the LNER, Southern Area is now included in the Eastern region, and is normally used only for freight traffic.

This train sim is fascinating in that it takes you on a trip not no possible. Queensbury is 23 minutes in.

On the model some compression will have to be employed along with quite a bit of modelers license.

• RMweb Premium

You've probably seen these in Jeff's KL threads Shaun, but here are the photos I took of a couple of the bridges still extant on the line today; first two are of the seriously impressive Hewenden Viaduct and the third is the viaduct that crosses through Cullingworth and includes some fantastic weathering.

Cullingworth003_zps7cda947f.jpg

Cullingworth007_zps65c4f1a9.jpg

Cullingworth013_zps2f72e7ba.jpg

I've mentioned before that I am a member of Shipley MRS and that the layout I'm involved with building there is an EM gauge depiction of Clayton (to what will be fantastic standards). There is a wealth of knowledge in the club about the Queensbury Lines so if you have any questions then I can ask and relay them on. 

Some very interesting stock used on the line in earlier days :)

• Like 2

Plastic is my preferred medium, the brick coloured kind. First pick out a few bricks with a black sharpie/marker. Then wash on some thinned crafters acrylic mortar colour and wipe over the bricks with a paper towel. Dry brush with crafters acrylic brick red and terracotta from a pallet. When dry (over night) use thinned matt black Humbol enamel. I add acrylic moss green too.

Here preaches the artist! :mail:

Not dissimilar to what I'm doing, but I'm only using plastic for the front of layout. Papers OK for the back. Having said which, Scalescenes Brown Brick is my default railway buildings colour, but they are partially embossed. The main problem with papers is photographing "flat". If you put papers back down over very coarse sandpaper, cover with a sheet of paper and abuse it with a printers roller and a hammer. Then they photograph less flat. This should NOT be done before colour washes or the pits will soak up the colour in a vile fashion!

Tony.

edit: All of which is bull-ox without images to back it up, so I'll be retiring off-line (again!) to attempt some progress. It's either that or sell the ruddy lot!

Edited by Brass0four

• RMweb Premium

Ok I'm game, we had Santa Sasquatch and New Years Sasquatch, whats with the sunglasses? Hungover Sasquatch???????

No no , not a hangover just trying to dodge Mrs. S. because of spending too much time on here. The painting is finished and the living room should be occupied by tomorrow evening after I've laid the floor. I'd like to say there's going to be some modeling done but that's not the case as someone wants a bookcase! Nice, as Funds will be available for all these LNER locomotives and track, plywood, plastic card, molding supplies, foam etc  :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very good mate, Track laying today??????? hahhahaa

And :sungum:

Steady on Bodge mate. I'm still trying to work out all these gradients and radii!

A stop at the local hobby store on Monday for styrene to make six station buildings is planned for Monday.

I'm only making one signal box for the Queensbury section which looks like a challenge due to 12 pane windows.

Any Ideas?

post-8964-0-35982500-1391326107.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You've probably seen these in Jeff's KL threads Shaun, but here are the photos I took of a couple of the bridges still extant on the line today; first two are of the seriously impressive Hewenden Viaduct and the third is the viaduct that crosses through Cullingworth and includes some fantastic weathering.

Cullingworth003_zps7cda947f.jpg

Cullingworth007_zps65c4f1a9.jpg

Cullingworth013_zps2f72e7ba.jpg

I've mentioned before that I am a member of Shipley MRS and that the layout I'm involved with building there is an EM gauge depiction of Clayton (to what will be fantastic standards). There is a wealth of knowledge in the club about the Queensbury Lines so if you have any questions then I can ask and relay them on. 

Some very interesting stock used on the line in earlier days :)

Thank you mate. Very impressive viaduct, GUN will have a few, I doubt that large though. One fascination of mine are Swiss, Bavarian, Austrian  style layouts where trains swoop and dive gracefully  through mountainous scenery. The aim of this project is to create a British layout that does the same without making it too toy like.

Through connecting 4 layouts Hornby track plan style with careful planning  and scratch built buildings I just might be able to pull it off.

If any of your club mates can recommend a book or two which contain such details such as colour schemes and dimensions of the various wooden structures. Or maybe pictures I could work from, that would be most useful and helpful.

The stock I would imagine was quite a mix of vintage hand-me-down GN during LNER days. Later on there was some oddities about too. One pic I've seen has a Gresley twin set with a five comp brake third!  (Squatch is a Gresley coach geek first and foremost) Coopercraft sell the twins and 5 comp brake sides as spares when/if they get their injection molding machine repaired. When they do I'll build a set.  

Regards Shaun.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not dissimilar to what I'm doing, but I'm only using plastic for the front of layout. Papers OK for the back. Having said which, Scalescenes Brown Brick is my default railway buildings colour, but they are partially embossed. The main problem with papers is photographing "flat". If you put papers back down over very coarse sandpaper, cover with a sheet of paper and abuse it with a printers roller and a hammer. Then they photograph less flat. This should NOT be done before colour washes or the pits will soak up the colour in a vile fashion!

Tony.

edit: All of which is bull-ox without images to back it up, so I'll be retiring off-line (again!) to attempt some progress. It's either that or sell the ruddy lot!

Hi Tony.

That's an interesting method of preparing brick paper!  Years ago we had a spare room in a house we rented when my boy was starting school and put it to good use. Track on boards and to make a layout for my Hornbys and his Thomas we built many card kits. The damp got at them and I have never used card or paper since. Besides I enjoy painting too much!!

At leased you're making progress. My days are so short and full I've hardly found time to even check on here.

regards Shaun.

Off to eBay to search for windows.  

• RMweb Premium

So some modeling time!!
I'm pressing ahead with this Queensbury project and am starting with the east signal box. Originally there were 3 signal boxes at Queensbury, the north and south boxes were removed at some point during the LNER period.
I have only 3 views of this long gone structure to work from. The base was stone and quite tall, probably to give the signalman some view across the station which had gradients.
Windows were tall 12 pane and some have turned up in the form of warehouse windows from an American kit which I had kit bashed. In my scrap boxes I have also found a tall stair case, some Peco sash windows for the locking room, Scalelink finials and various other oddments which will fit the bill.
Construction will consist of foam board base overlaid with O gauge brick sheet to represent the dressed stone, plastic card and sheet for the upper cabin and Wills sheets for the roof, chimneys etc.
Hooray to have some modeling time at last.
Here’s a start on the window casements which will determine the measurements for the rest of the model. 99mm =aprox 25’ wide.

post-8964-0-89379700-1391579629_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-69778200-1391579662_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Like the look of this,please make sure you pop up loads of photographs. Apologise to Mrs S for encouraging you. Hope the new room, works out nice (a photo here wouldn't go astray)

How do you go about cutting you thicker Wills with decent accuracy. Pressing on the knife really makes my hands ache, lets hope i don't go like my older brother who is developing arthritis!!!

• RMweb Premium

It's not the easiest of materials to cut but the score and snap method does work and is easier (and better) than trying to cut all the way through them. 

I love the look of the Wills stone sheets and used them on the retaining wall at the back of the layout, but they are a bit too small to be tackling a building with (unless you are very good at lining up the mortar courses).

7mm brick looks spot on for 4mm dressed stone, other than the mortar courses being a tiny bit too wide (although dry brushing helps hide that)

• Like 2

Hi Tony.

That's an interesting method of preparing brick paper!  Years ago we had a spare room in a house we rented when my boy was starting school and put it to good use. Track on boards and to make a layout for my Hornbys and his Thomas we built many card kits. The damp got at them and I have never used card or paper since. Besides I enjoy painting too much!!

At leased you're making progress. My days are so short and full I've hardly found time to even check on here.

regards Shaun.

Off to eBay to search for windows.

It's still bloody hard for me time wise too, but I'm pushing the barriers.

'Came across a great guy and his two building threads: http://www.rmweb.co....g/?do=findComment&comment=1299402

http://www.rmweb.co....-2?do=findComment&comment=1330743

You should have a look. He's inspired me to take a similar approach, not in methods - I'd never do it - but in approaching my layout structures in separate threads, then uniting them - little bites I can manage better.

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

Step by steps are usually confined to Sasquatches Blog. But you know,            to hell with that.

The base is glued up with PVA and held with Peco track pins which are removed when set! The cabin floor sits on top of the walls and is scribed with the back of a scalpel.

post-8964-0-01216300-1391663236_thumb.jpg

While that is drying attention is turned to the chimney. Filing the miters  on these little takes patients.

To assemble lay them on sticky tape, fold for a dry run machining sure all is lined up. Then unfold, apply a seem of weld and fold back up.   

post-8964-0-70179100-1391663628_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-03256200-1391663646_thumb.jpg

When the base has dried file any discrepancies before attaching the plastic with cyano. Sometimes I join small strips instead of cutting a into a new sheet. Joins are done with tape on the rear.  

post-8964-0-53156500-1391663966_thumb.jpg

Interior walls from Evergreen grooved sheet.

post-8964-0-26775200-1391664190_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-19064300-1391664250_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Posted in the prototype questions forum::

Two questions.

Has anyone got pictures of the wooden station buildings?

There where two basic types from what I can tell from looking on the internet. Which I believe to be 50 & 70 feet in length. Each side of the triangle had a small and a long building. The Keighley-Bradford and Keighley-Halifax sides had the longer buildings on the inside of the triangle and both large and small buildings appear identical.

The Bradford- Halifax side however had the longer building on the outside and from what I can tell the two buildings there were a mirror image of the others.

Can anyone confirm this?

My next Question is the colour. I'm presuming that Queensbury received a coat of paint after the second world war along with all other LNER stations. This should have been Green and cream. Cream paneling above waist height and green below was normal. Would the window frames have been green also. They don't appear to be white in any of the pictures.

The station closed to passengers in 1955 and I doubt BR ever sent the painters in, so confirmation again please?

One thing for sure is grime seems to dominate.

Same for the signal box (only the East box remained after the war) which looks like brown to me in black and white pics but it's green, right?

Edit: One last thing. When did the awnings get taken down?

Any information would be ggggggrrrrreat!!

Regards Shaun.

Looks really good, what do you use on the corners? A filler that you mark up to match the bricks?

Go to bed.......poor woman will be up before you get there.....and no snuggling your cold feet on her either......

Edited by Jaz