Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

G'day Folks

Alpaca's are fairly common in Oz, they are used as 'Watchdogs' to keep the foxes out of the flocks of sheep as they are very protective and will attack foxes and dogs, there size scares most things off, and they have been known to kill foxes, what they were doing on the roadside, is unknown, probably escaped from there paddock or maybe they wanted a Beer !

Lovely shots of the layout, they give a good view of the size of the layout, but I didn't actually mean for you to use a helicopter.

Thank You, manna

PS, After I posted, I noticed I was the first one on Page 100, Congratulations.

Edited by manna
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

Alpaca's are fairly common in Oz, they are used as 'Watchdogs' to keep the foxes out of the flocks of sheep as they are very protective and will attack foxes and dogs, there size scares most things off, and they have been known to kill foxes, what they were doing on the roadside, is unknown, probably escaped from there paddock or maybe they wanted a Beer !

Lovely shots of the layout, they give a good view of the size of the layout, but I didn't actually mean for you to use a helicopter.

Thank You, manna

We were driving through Scotland a number of years ago and were amazed to see two Alpacas in a field of sheep.  They are kept for the same reason, as bodyguards for the sheep.

Shaun,

Well done on one hundred pages, mostly all with modelling, and of an excellent standard.  It is one of the few non pre-grouping layouts that I still follow so it must be worth watching.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your promotion to Centurion.

One of my daughter's friends has Alpacas in the field behind the house, for the same security reasons as already said.  They are quite stroppy when they get going and aren't beyond breaking the fence down to go for a swim in the family swimming pool.  Quite a job getting them out again!!

Julian

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

Thank You, manna

A cold beer sounds wonderful right now Manna (even if it's only 9:20 AM) The first thing we considered non essential!

Good idea about the aerial images. I like to keep the thread interesting if I can, at 2500 post count I must be doing something right.

Regards Shaun 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, ChrisN said:

We were driving through Scotland a number of years ago and were amazed to see two Alpacas in a field of sheep.  They are kept for the same reason, as bodyguards for the sheep.

Shaun,

Well done on one hundred pages, mostly all with modelling, and of an excellent standard.  It is one of the few non pre-grouping layouts that I still follow so it must be worth watching.

Thanks for posting this this morning Chris. After being misunderstood on another thread, you really lifted my spirits:sungum:

It's great to have you on board us pre-grouping fanatics are becoming a rare bread and will need a couple of alpacas for our own personal protection soon.

regards Shaun

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Congratulations on your promotion to Centurion.

One of my daughter's friends has Alpacas in the field behind the house, for the same security reasons as already said.  They are quite stroppy when they get going and aren't beyond breaking the fence down to go for a swim in the family swimming pool.  Quite a job getting them out again!!

Julian

Centurion?? I like that! Thanks mate.

The lady round the corner has a couple guarding her small flock. They must be good at it because my two border collies seem terrified of them.

Regards Shaun

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Centurion?? I like that! Thanks mate.

The lady round the corner has a couple guarding her small flock. They must be good at it because my two border collies seem terrified of them.

Regards Shaun

I think someone must have left a sheep and a camel together in a field somewhere.....     for far too long!!   Nice wool, but they have the, least pleasant, characteristics of both.

J

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Every so often on RMweb some of us get a smack in the mouth from some of these "nothing to contribute except negativity types".

I still maintain that there's a lot of varied content and if you don't like what someone has taken the time to share you can simply scroll on past rather than start criticising or name calling. 

Chris made me realize that this is a modeling forum and not really a place for all this jibber jabber and bickering about  the misinterpretations of info and advise over the pandemic situation.

Personally we're using every precaution possible no matter how trivial except that the night before last  Mrs.Squatch came out to the warehouse and said.

"Don't you think that you're taking this self isolation thing a bit too far". :crazy:

The walling I scribed yesterday saw a return to the warmth of the kitchen table.

Lots of work with a biro these are the retaining walls for the rail bridge over the rope hauled incline. Although sticking to my usual method they seem to have come out  on the dark side.

May the force be with you.

1167927501_Walls(1).JPG.35081ecbdfb03ef8db6c934ed518d35a.JPG

502965752_Walls(2).JPG.7af42d68053cb4d3ce989d38fbfdd1e9.JPG

595324974_Walls(3).JPG.feb0dd4fa4a32d767a5c183ae8f52593.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Every so often on RMweb some of us get a smack in the mouth from some of these "nothing to contribute except negativity types".

I still maintain that there's a lot of varied content and if you don't like what someone has taken the time to share you can simply scroll on past rather than start criticising or name calling. 

Chris made me realize that this is a modeling forum and not really a place for all this jibber jabber and bickering about  the misinterpretations of info and advise over the pandemic situation.

Personally we're using every precaution possible no matter how trivial except that the night before last  Mrs.Squatch came out to the warehouse and said.

"Don't you think that you're taking this self isolation thing a bit too far". :crazy:

The walling I scribed yesterday saw a return to the warmth of the kitchen table.

Lots of work with a biro these are the retaining walls for the rail bridge over the rope hauled incline. Although sticking to my usual method they seem to have come out  on the dark side.

May the force be with you.

1167927501_Walls(1).JPG.35081ecbdfb03ef8db6c934ed518d35a.JPG

502965752_Walls(2).JPG.7af42d68053cb4d3ce989d38fbfdd1e9.JPG

595324974_Walls(3).JPG.feb0dd4fa4a32d767a5c183ae8f52593.JPG

Nice work on these walls here:good:

thanks neil..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Different light in the kitchen?

Well spotted! Why I didn't use my nice new full spectrum lamp i don't know.

Over night it dried fully and in this mornings daylight looked totally different.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jukebox said:

Lovely handiwork on those wall, Shaun.

Hope it was therapeutic for you!

Cheers

Scott

Once you get into it, it is! Writers cramp set in by the time it got finished though.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, saxokid said:

Nice work on these walls here:good:

thanks neil..

Hi Neil. Thanks very much!

They look quite good now I have installed them on the layout.

The foam board was too thick to place directly in the cutting so I'd riskily planned to cut away the back.

614307547_tunnel(1).JPG.28bdd2c7cde1dedb2faf441267c50edb.JPG

Having found this handy little gadget at an estate sale for a few cents I adjusted it to make cuts in the back of the walling short of the scribing on the front.

311834597_tunnel(2).JPG.48e348855f4d9d095a351dbc8d6fffef.JPG

Using a long hack saw blade I then carefully sawed the foam off.

1328027068_tunnel(3).JPG.6c21f8ef213dc790f14060fc25aa320d.JPG

Some surgery was required to the landscape.

1606006387_tunnel(4).JPG.43befec8ef0b3b1ce85bbb0d12f43c6a.JPG

The walls were fixed with the new super glue and hot glue where needed which holds things in place while the non toxic glue cures.

Views looking... up hill...

1312404517_tunnel(5).JPG.c19c6dd4e0448d3511bdf0d2af2c5114.JPG

...Down the incline...

1228231864_tunnel(6).JPG.4054f4b97e1facc07f585bd9ace3107a.JPG

...from the controls...

2082320703_tunnel(9).JPG.33a426b432ab89fa76108b89c0343fc3.JPG

...and with the viaduct in the distance.

More work is needed here and will be dealt with tomorrow.

1103623575_tunnel(7).JPG.58c459fca2721f5072572c8982a9c76e.JPG

Regards Shaun.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Last night I got around to thinking about this rope hauled coal incline. What if I could rig up a system to actually make it haul loaded coal wagon up the line.
Two read switches at either end opperated by a magnet under the wagon could trigger a relay. A bit like the system I used on Dunsters crossing gates except the motor would wind and unwind a cord attached to the wagon. Brilliant!

The only problem would be that the wagon would need to return empty. Filling it at the bottom could be done by hand.

I got up at 3am with this idea raring to go and dug out all the bits including a Faller motor I was given a few years back.

This motor unit must have been knocking about for a few years because the oil lubricant had dried up.  

After routing around in my barn before sunrise I found my 3in1 oil and  proceeded to dismantle the motor to clean it up and relube it.

by this time my cats were acting up all hungry and Scatoosh jumped up on the table and knocked my precious bottle of 3in1 over which had also dried up and I ended up with.......a lap of dry oils!:o

At which point I gave up thinking the whole idea it might be a bit naff anyway

DSCF0940.JPG.a22ad22042731f3d5e2e78fc21da0d68.JPG

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Shaun,

What you need is a tipper wagon.  The only trouble with that is they are 009.  Is there something in 00?  It gets pulled up and along to a point where there is a wedge which causes the wagon to tip and send its contents down back to where it came from.  It would need whatever pulls it to be on a loop which goes around a capstan at both the top and bottom so the motor can reverse and pull it back.  

I am sure it is doable but it is one of those things that may take time and is a job for when you want something different, and when it gets too boring/frustrating/annoying you do something else and come back to it later.

P.S.  I have found a kit here, 4th one down, but it is a kit so it is up to you if it tips perhaps.  I have seen them RTR in N, 009, 00n12, H0f, LGB and Garden Railways but not in 00.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Last night I got around to thinking about this rope hauled coal incline. What if I could rig up a system to actually make it haul loaded coal wagon up the line.
Two read switches at either end opperated by a magnet under the wagon could trigger a relay. A bit like the system I used on Dunsters crossing gates except the motor would wind and unwind a cord attached to the wagon. Brilliant!

The only problem would be that the wagon would need to return empty. Filling it at the bottom could be done by hand.

I got up at 3am with this idea raring to go and dug out all the bits including a Faller motor I was given a few years back.

This motor unit must have been knocking about for a few years because the oil lubricant had dried up.  

After routing around in my barn before sunrise I found my 3in1 oil and  proceeded to dismantle the motor to clean it up and relube it.

by this time my cats were acting up all hungry and Scatoosh jumped up on the table and knocked my precious bottle of 3in1 over which had also dried up and I ended up with.......a lap of dry oils!:o

At which point I gave up thinking the whole idea it might be a bit naff anyway

No one picked up on my anagram then? Even though the whole post sounds a bit far fetched... Pie in the sky... Like a Baldy Man sketch and a complete waste of time.

:jester:

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I went for a lovely evening stroll with my camera this evening. Unsurprisingly there weren't many folk about or trains running, so I took some pictures of some road transport.

Leyland hippo flatbed  down Brow Lane. You can almost hear the  grinding crunch as the driver knocks it down a cog.

DSCF0980.JPG.88e4f6eb1513fbe0b8a1cd206e8c50ff.JPG

Ethel the tea lady is getting a lift home in a well kept Morris eight.

DSCF0969.JPG.6e2f86e153f1b64fbc2bd05386c56629.JPG

Ted contemplates how they're going to get Mrs. Forthums piano from the Bedford ML into the waiting shock van in the morning before the pick-up goods arrives.

DSCF0976.JPG.c6cc8791939513ce954b899dbff28925.JPG

No passengers on the Bradford service Daimler tonight......

DSCF0941.JPG.b95753ac376baeb6579f4f4a03a82ac8.JPG

...but there seems quite rightly to be plenty of candles burning bright in the church.

DSCF0970.JPG.771875df523e2ab2427151a28d175991.JPG

Hope you're all keeping out of trouble

Regards Shaun.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Today I spent a few hours detailing and finishing off some buildings for Queensbury.

Some benches which I cut and shut from some cheapo HO ones that I picked up in Eugene a few years back.

DSCF1007.JPG.21f2055bb6e9d18566f56ef1389caf9b.JPG

The Brick hut that sat opposite the signal box which is made from Wills sheets.

DSCF1006.JPG.62951770db8c3a6cfff2feb4e25b7a43.JPG

I painted and weathered the rail over bridge,...

DSCF1010.JPG.5d8a5585a2d481ae99554b1acd8e84b2.JPG

...built the small barn which stood in Brow Lane between the bridges.

(Usual foam board shell clad in embossed plastic sheet with doors from the scrap box.)

DSCF1009.JPG.f1c43a88ca1721f16f4a47e561a7b3ae.JPG

And lastly I repaired the main station building and detailed it with doors, gable boards, gutters and drain pipes.  Seeing as it's going on the market soon.

DSCF1004.JPG.6814658b163f01afe5c31a3781835106.JPG

I also spent a few hours working on the layout doing more dry stone walls, the subways and fitting of various bits and bobs. I'll post up some pics of that when it's finished.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 14