Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Having said yesterday that I'd provide a modeling update today, I must confirm that not a lot has been done. Nothing worth posting yet anyway. So how about some trains instead?

By the time I had chosen some different stock to run and swapped it over with the last lot; then had a fair shunting session with the new trains it had got dark. So apologies for the poorer quality of the raw images.

BR days sees J39 class with an up semi fast freight consisting of a fitted head of bananas followed by parcels, steel beams and tar.

Local passenger service behind class 3 tank has been held in the down platform to allow the freight to pass...

...good job by the looks of all the holiday makers luggage that requires loading.

Turning the clock back then to LNER days we find the Friday down pick up goods being double headed by two J class tank engines. The train will be split at Goathland (The summit) where one engine will shunt the terminal stock and return to York with any empties.

Nice portrait of 2313 standing at the down starter.

Not a substantial train at all.

Lastly I thought I'd include this image because it includes an interesting model van, the LMS insulated one. Quite simply  a Ratio banana van body on a Cambian 9ft RCH underframe.

Squatch. Rooting around for inspiration to get the old mojo flowing.

Plenty of inspiration there, you just have to get some heat into the rail room, ready for all the snow, now the smoke season is drawing to a close.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Plenty of inspiration there, you just have to get some heat into the rail room, ready for all the snow, now the smoke season is drawing to a close.

How wrong you are my friend. It's still been in the 90sF this week but we did have a smoke free day yesterday helped by a slight spattering of rain during the night. Fire season is far from over with more acres ablaze now than previously any time this year. Incidentally a fire broke out just north of Rogue River recently but has been contained at 23 acres. Could have been much worse!

Forecast is quite cool this week at 82-84F. Just right to work on the last end  of the garage and start prepping the cedar to lay the new deck off of the bedroom.

I seem to remember September being a lovely month back in the UK?

Regards Shaun

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

How wrong you are my friend. It's still been in the 90sF this week but we did have a smoke free day yesterday helped by a slight spattering of rain during the night. Fire season is far from over with more acres ablaze now than previously any time this year. Incidentally a fire broke out just north of Rogue River recently but has been contained at 23 acres. Could have been much worse!

Forecast is quite cool this week at 82-84F. Just right to work on the last end  of the garage and start prepping the cedar to lay the new deck off of the bedroom.

I seem to remember September being a lovely month back in the UK?

Regards Shaun

Our wonderful, informative, press have got bored with reporting matters of peoples living being burned to oblivion before their eyes.  Replaced by Prince A might/might not have had a writ served to one of the policemen at his gate.....   Ronaldo scored 2 goals.....    Barmouth Bridge, nicknamed Trigger's Broom, as it gets repairs.....   some girl thinks that vaccine passports for clubs will make her more reluctant to get the jabs.....    

.....  no wonder we may have assumed that the fire season may have diminished.  I hope it gets to the rains quickly and people can get back to their normal business.

Anyway, it's good to see you are able to get back to getting things done again.

I was anticipating a September as you and I remembered them for many decades, but the heavens have drizzled their way through the last couple of months, with patches os serious stuff thrown in.  It isn't all bad, as there have been a few patches of good sunny days as well.  I blame th French for sending us the weather, but that seems to be overruled by the fact that it seems to be arriving from the Atlantic.....   {Dratt!!}

It's good to hear that you're able to move so many projects on, too.

All the very best

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2021 at 14:51, jcredfer said:

Our wonderful, informative, press have got bored with reporting matters of peoples living being burned to oblivion before their eyes.  Replaced by Prince A might/might not have had a writ served to one of the policemen at his gate.....   Ronaldo scored 2 goals.....    Barmouth Bridge, nicknamed Trigger's Broom, as it gets repairs.....   some girl thinks that vaccine passports for clubs will make her more reluctant to get the jabs.....    

.....  no wonder we may have assumed that the fire season may have diminished.  I hope it gets to the rains quickly and people can get back to their normal business.

Anyway, it's good to see you are able to get back to getting things done again.

I was anticipating a September as you and I remembered them for many decades, but the heavens have drizzled their way through the last couple of months, with patches os serious stuff thrown in.  It isn't all bad, as there have been a few patches of good sunny days as well.  I blame th French for sending us the weather, but that seems to be overruled by the fact that it seems to be arriving from the Atlantic.....   {Dratt!!}

It's good to hear that you're able to move so many projects on, too.

All the very best

Sorry to hear that you have had another dank British summer. I tell folks over here that there's a wet season during summer back home, most of them can't contemplate it! I used to blame the French for most things too at one point in my life; it's really not their fault,  just entertaining watching them over react when they are actually guilty (or totally innocent whichever the case may be). 

Despite trying to overcome many minor ailments, work on renovations is coming along in leaps and bounds at the present time. I have just come down from the ladder for a well earned cuppa after stripping paint off of the last side of the garage. If I get that finished today the new window is being fitted tomorrow. Afternoons are being spent edging up and sanding the mountain of cedar for the new deck and I still need to plane all that pine we seasoned in the sun this summer to make cupboards and tops for the laundry room.

If there's any energy left in the evenings the OO stock updating program gets worked on. This week mostly minor repairs, lettering and weathering. The latest to be completed are...

LMS horsebox and LNER hopper.

DSCF2528.JPG.35b7c681cf6439fc01349036af62367f.JPG

The two LNER wartime vans. (Spot the difference?).

DSCF2526.JPG.47f7ef391734efa7dc20957a4b6d6cc3.JPG

Two kit built Western vans. The body on the bauxite one came free with a magazine...

DSCF2524.JPG.7c3f01984d4ca507a607e53d098ea441.JPG

...and the Boplate B is finally finished.

DSCF2525.JPG.934206cf71d8a6605af0b21aa27f7967.JPG

Also a nice view across the platforms on Queensbury. Still a lot to do here.

DSCF2527.JPG.2458c22400cda558156488834bdac90d.JPG

Hope that you are safe and well,

Regards Shaun.

• Like 19

Hi Shaun,  you have been amazingly busy, despite the threat from the fires.  What is more, the layout has had attention, too, remarkable progress.  The pictures are a real reflection of the reality of the full size and a delight to see.  You do have a talent to apply the random variations which nature applies to man's attempts to construct perfect structures, a delight to see.  

I love the French passion for life and their perception of fairness.  You are absolutely right about their over reactions, but how could they possibly be French without.  {Shhh...  I have reason to be grateful to their reaction to the introduction of huge numbers of new speed traps, a couple of years back.  :rolleyes:  They responded to the huge increase of numbers of the speed cameras, vocally, with no response.  The reaction was typical, and huge numbers of the cameras had paint applied to the lenses.  At a cost of Eur 400 each, to clean the lenses and replace them, the Gov't couldn't keep up with the number and cost of spray jobs.....    bless them for my lack of additional expenditure on the way back from holiday by the Mediterranean.  :locomotive:  }

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2021 at 16:11, jcredfer said:

Hi Shaun,  you have been amazingly busy, despite the threat from the fires.  What is more, the layout has had attention, too, remarkable progress.  The pictures are a real reflection of the reality of the full size and a delight to see.  You do have a talent to apply the random variations which nature applies to man's attempts to construct perfect structures, a delight to see.  

I love the French passion for life and their perception of fairness.  You are absolutely right about their over reactions, but how could they possibly be French without.  {Shhh...  I have reason to be grateful to their reaction to the introduction of huge numbers of new speed traps, a couple of years back.  :rolleyes:  They responded to the huge increase of numbers of the speed cameras, vocally, with no response.  The reaction was typical, and huge numbers of the cameras had paint applied to the lenses.  At a cost of Eur 400 each, to clean the lenses and replace them, the Gov't couldn't keep up with the number and cost of spray jobs.....    bless them for my lack of additional expenditure on the way back from holiday by the Mediterranean.  :locomotive:  }

Holidays in the Mediterranean???  Jealous as hell... Hope you had a great time mate.

Regards Shaun

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some layout pictures for you to enjoy today.

J50 poking about on Queensbury with a solitary guards van.

1177284961_Queensburyafterclosure(1).JPG.5fc260a418c918e5c32765916cf417d5.JPG

DSCF2353.JPG.bb1d6f5c1ce7c545e1524f99d2a83bab.JPG

The sun finally poked it's head out from under the clouds at Goathland illuminating K3/1 on a Leeds-Whitby service.

250337298_DSCF2141-Copy.JPG.a333475c6d78fd0604c2edfa1358ff38.JPG

The long shadows providing realism to the goods yard.

DSCF2158.JPG.15cc6591018307c7929d7c87793ea7cf.JPG

Squatch.  

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Progress report.

So far the remodel is coming along very nicely, the new window is in, wall prepped and primed for painting later this week. My cunning plan to fit insulation and drywall to the new framing under the window prior to actually installing it all, worked out Rather well. While the window was out I also saw fit to clean the rails in the passing-loops tunnel behind Queensbury. IMG_1347.JPG.6a7578e040eec564ba37b5cea8d4a11f.JPG

Today I sought to getting some lights above the garage doors. This involved bringing in a large ladder and accessing thee sweltering loft space. Note the clamp fastening the top of the ladder to the hatch opening.

Necessary after Queensbury almost got destroyed! Deceptively steep ladder angle that. 

IMG_1346.JPG.07d696bfccb1d19f48ac9d605bfca2df.JPG

A hole was cut for a new outlet between the up and over door guides. A bit of know-how came into play as I wired the outlet first and poked the feed wire through the outlet receptacle box, fitted the outlet to the box, then fitted the box into the hole in the ceiling. 

All that was left to do was climb into the attic, cut the wire to length and poke it into one of the outlets already in play.

IMG_1350.JPG.6cfb89d72ce81cba9485e75699fba25b.JPG

After cutting power to the garage I removed the cover of that box followed by the outlet and something fell out, bounced on my face and fell to the floor. 

A mummified bat of all things.  

DSCF2552.JPG.395469c10322f43a5bb5bfa621454ad7.JPG

It must have flew into the garage at some point after the drywall was done all those years ago. How could I have known it was in there when I fitted the cover on the box. Only proves they had been roosting in the garage for years before I moved in!

Anyway I now have a new light fitted above the extended work bench. Garage has had a major tidying up too. 

IMG_1353.JPG.7d78aed6f4ec4b2c11463067d8d8a509.JPG

Even got some fencing prepared for Queensbury. I do like the new Peco flexible stuff very handy for West Riding terrain. 

Fencing.JPG.8b658e499a33d0f9362dc17a166deb56.JPG

After all that work some trains were run and while I was taking pictures realized I need to get up there again and fit another outlet above Goathland so I can move the lights further back! 

IMG_1355.JPG.b604e3a8aa35ca807357ae15fb2f8207.JPG

Hopefully more work tomorrow.

BatSquatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
Punctuation; Not a strong point!
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

There's trains too...:yahoo:

J39 heading into the cutting at Goathland. 

257522948_J39inthecutting(1).JPG.9b83fcf82b8d00d89c70e2999c9a8de8.JPG

2070172360_J39inthecutting(2).JPG.7a78ab85635cf10c5c17c2ce4f663457.JPG

522890333_J39inthecutting(1).JPEG.a154f5a922d5be760768b4ea81b71438.JPEG

164437931_J39inthecutting(3).JPEG.7b9a6dcf865d179003256fd68f66473f.JPEG

1548667712_J39inthecutting(2).JPEG.9f98c0d7fab60ef8c0e54b07d81ee670.JPEG

They still haven't loaded all that luggage. Lazy blighters.

506866139_Station(1).JPEG.fdf6a6300f36ffdc7dae60dc363b7f7c.JPEG

Child's eye view of the station. (These kids are getting quite creative with their phones).1254136442_Station(2).JPEG.125cc64c7f66b9169b3d84b7ca4f7b71.JPEG

A visitor from the K&WVR. 3F 47306. 

1956590399_Jinty(1).JPEG.be8c71f2354f0f4770247283ab3e87b1.JPEG

945693515_Jinty(2).JPEG.c5ea980a5ea6b0d61964a35885004f70.JPEG

562819247_Jinty(3).JPEG.0dd06dce05f76691f305ddb9c4dc4563.JPEG

Squatch. 

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun some very nice pictures of your progress, perhaps you should rename Goathland to Gotham and call yourself Batman.

All the best Adrian

Been there. Done that!  I actually lived in Gottem Belgium and my ex was quite batty, the old place had a Batman weather vain on the roof. In fact I think it's still there! Well she is anyhow.

765166727_Batcave.jpg.38f1588049972ce06c7916a06c31c49c.jpg

Regards Shaun 

• Like 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Great pictures, but isn't it hard working around a layout ?

manna

Thanks Manna. Always good to know the photography is well received and it can be tricky working around the layout. Or in my case from with-in it :lol:.

Regards Shaun

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Does everyone have one of those days when everything just goes pear shaped and then just turns to mush or even cider. I could turn to cider after today. (That's the answer to the gluten free problem right there, cider! There's no gluten in that right!!

First I think I upset the apple cart ( fully intended pun) after watching BRM's "Skills Week" last night which turned out to be a waste of time.

Against my better judgment I posted a critical comment. Watching a video about how to fix down track with pins is about as basic as it comes, something I imagine we all did before high school and that can be learned in the back pages of almost every OO catalog  ever published, isn't what comes under heading of skills. Well to my mind at least. Undeterred first thing, I left a nice reply with an apology, made myself late and now it seems I've been ignored.

We have been milling lumber this week but today the logs were just pants, too pitchy for firewood even. Then I had a seat belt issue while seeing two woodpeckers and knocked the bottom  gate post clean outta the ground. This evening I found a flat tire on the truck, obviously from the post incident and must now spend the garage aircon money on a new set of tires.

One step forwards and two back. Talk about bad karma. 

Anyway enough waffle, here are some pics with trains and the new fences. What do you think, a bit too light?

It's supposed to look like mossy old timber.  

DSCF2554.JPG.7f513e76ba2385350b5b656c5ceb6b38.JPG

DSCF2556.JPG.37619bb321963083eafc1cf14e46f14e.JPG

DSCF2560.JPG.42ab31915c69d822eb1625fa2e1a7fbb.JPG

DSCF2558.JPG.b040ebba810a9ded6a952061bbd85651.JPG

DSCF2561.JPG.f230ff0323763d4fe3fd3aefab5ccc1f.JPG

Squatch.  

Great pic Shaun, even if the rest of the day was S.....T:nono:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Great pic Shaun, even if the rest of the day was S.....T:nono:

Hi Andy.

Today wasn't any better but all it takes is a four letter word to put a huge grin on my face :D. Well done mate thanks!

Some pics of Queensbury for you.

Saddle tank from Bradford caught in the last light of the day.

IMG_1373.JPG.f134b80ea5242c76bcfe76648561bbc4.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG.2544f0253b3993b6382226ddcc8c234c.JPG

Different angle...

IMG951381.jpg.0a3ad3c25e5d1270fef7d05cc2725261.jpg

N2 on a Keighley-Bradford service just leaving past a J50.

IMG_1378.JPG.d79223f6ab36488d0de900937a9b0f6b.JPG

The Gresley twin fits in perfectly.

IMG951382.jpg.25326f25716817232dc99a4d3b23a998.jpg

Regards Shaun.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

IMG_1380.JPG.29f2c27a343644912d21b4b85786d92c.JPG

This shows how much I fell short when compressing Queensbury to fit the available space. 

The angle and zoom photography  don't help mind;   that ramp is 4.5" (114mm)!

Quite happy with it so far though, for real wood scratch built curved platforms, I think they'll do.

The next job here is to hack up a pile of Ratio GWR picket style fencing and fit it between all those posts. I did make a start but can't decide what colour they should be. Weathered cream or just bare rotten wood like the line side stuff.

I'm open for other suggestions and perhaps we could take a vote on it.

Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
grammer
  • Like 13

It may be a totally erroneous thought, but, if it is working station, albeit in difficult times and Station Staff would have had some pride, even to the extent of going to the local Ironmongers store and getting a pot of paint {more often than many people think}.  I just think bare and rotten comes well after closure, by quite a  number of years.

More evocative of neglect, the bare wood has it's own message of time moving on, so may be what you want to say.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2