Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Barry O said:

Shaun,

I made sure my loft conversion has carpeted floors and no scorpions or Black widow spiders... much more comfy to work on!

Baz

Nice idea Baz but have you seen the size of my garage. I can't afford carpet for the house let alone the warehouse! Besides, it wouldn't stop the spiders. This one lived in my old vacuum cleaner for at least 10 weeks and while I've been using it too. It must have been eating all the wasps I sucked up (50+). I still don't understand how all these critters are getting in, I have even contemplated making a new set of doors!  

Regards Shaun.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Apologies in advance if you've already seen these on Andy Y's "How Realistic Thread".

They seem to have been very well received there so I'll pop them up here too.

1351101946_Queensburywaitingrooms(1).jpg.af382118f70870b85b9f9b7974163427.jpg

1957573506_Queensburywaitingrooms(4).jpg.33f20df7182e34e9eaf2c3e902e445b6.jpg

919173892_Queensburywaitingrooms(3).jpg.ca06ae9330b226800e28593d0e5fff66.jpg

1074923018_Queensburywaitingrooms(2).jpg.9c196f244953809731024e538dfd82f6.jpg

Amazing what you can do with some scraps of house hold trash and a Stanley knife when you put your mind to it.

The plan then for the months ahead is to get the garage work completed. It's going well at present. So far this week I have dismantled Goathland and fixed all it's signals. 

The tiny lamps had all blown but were quite easy to replace. One signal came a cropper while I was cleaning the track about two years ago and has had to be rebuilt.

740994259_update(3).JPG.fd1b4bbe60e80c28ba1e1638914435bf.JPG

The window behind has had the framing below insulated and drywalled over. I got the base coat of plaster on it and that is dry and has been sanded.

1652987950_update(4).JPG.88eb8bfc15070edfdf5dfec35ffcb3f8.JPG

I fixed a few small issues with the track and gave the 4 twenty foot long loops on the boards behind a thorough good clean.  This board still needs a bit of wiring that will supply the power to the points on the new castle section.

1252906059_update(1).JPG.05f06ce2b80d888d5f41ffd7fbc5956e.JPG

Now it's all apart I can reach the little section of scenery that never got finished.

717656726_update(2).JPG.877139c877aa166cc46c4cf2f7b4422b.JPG

And some more pictures of Queensbury; some with actual trains!

624640254_Queensburystation(1).JPG.864f7039d6a7541d407719c17c2fca45.JPG

1975024811_Queensburystation(2).JPG.d84d598385e10a655dd2d3f23018396b.JPG

1188623702_Queensburystation(3).JPG.a256bf38b460a7d5b61d6e60a08ce33b.JPG

Thanks for looking in, Squatch. 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

Shaun,

That table is just amazing.  I am afraid I was only able to give it one 'Craftsmanship'.

Don't know about craftsmanship. As a cabinet maker I can see all the flaws and would expect a good half an hour's bollocking off of most of my ex bosses! It's "Wes' Coun'ry Far-mouse" at best"! 

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
To correct my yokel
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jcredfer said:

I don't know where you found those colour pictures of the Waiting Room, just delightful...  are you going to attempt to model it any time soon??

:diablo_mini:

The gentleman who took those also visited the signal box and was invited to tea at the station masters house but any pictures of the living room there have not yet been found!

Note the sun would have been shining on the back wall.

IMG951630.jpg.a062bf31aec083c9bad19298101ac20a.jpg

IMG951629.jpg.71815abac28b28be8ef7f8e2e353daa1.jpg

IMG951634.jpg.7ceeb99757e1326845d2cf1e28c8e9e8.jpg

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

The signal repairs proved to be quite easy in the end. While I was at it the green lenses were given a drop more blue cake dye/ gloss varnish mix. It's a bit of a challenge to get them to look just right. I think after time the dyes do fade. I'm quite pleased with them for now although the phone's camera shows them much brighter than they really are.

IMG951640.jpg.bbe274ce0f1ec6d95bd3857404d1fc4a.jpg

IMG951641.jpg.d5fca8d921659f8ff84808b6fefef299.jpg

The down outer home had been built with the Ratio actuator facing towards the controls thus previously requiring the operating cord to be looped 180 degrees through an extra eyelet which never works well. This was the broken signal . So the logical solution was to reverse the spring in the mechanism. The operating wire up to the arm had to be bent and a new hole drilled in the base. I then shaved a small amount from the bottom of the post to compensate for the bent wire and put the whole thing  back together. Now it works a treat.

IMG951639.jpg.9a5807332d1617c24bcb07095d2c4248.jpg

IMG951637.jpg.56d56f5b84e0b532ba9508183e5cf32c.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Here's some utter stupidity for you...

DSCF2634.JPG.a046241384a4f045df31e309875a40a7.JPG

An 8 foot ladder, two ladder jacks and a 16 foot bridge have been employed so that the bit of drywall under the window behind Queensbury could get tapped and finished. 

DSCF2635.JPG.79803867857b4398ac0ddd9fd427f7ab.JPG

There was no way that I was taking Queensbury apart!

Sorry no trains today.

Squatch 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Barry O said:

Nowt wrong with that Shaun!

Baz

Getting up there to do the job wasn't the easiest thing I've ever had to do. It'll take 4-5 days altogether!

Regards Shaun  

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Getting up there to do the job wasn't the easiest thing I've ever had to do. It'll take 4-5 days altogether!

Regards Shaun  

I didn't realise that you were quite that old, assuming that's 3 days "getting up there to do the job" and 2 days back down, that's still a great deal of time.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jcredfer said:

I didn't realise that you were quite that old, assuming that's 3 days "getting up there to do the job" and 2 days back down, that's still a great deal of time.

You're not too far off......

......for a good clip around the ear young Julian!

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Without  any explanation I  thought, 'Forth rail bridge' !..................bit off track.

manna

All I'd need to do is change it from Queensbury to Queensferry. North or South but I don't have room for both.

Regards Shaun 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

You're not too far off......

......for a good clip around the ear young Julian!

Oh!...  Oh!...  Wow!...   "young"...  Yeaaah!...   Oh, "young"!...   Thank you, thank you kind Sir!  That's the nicest thing I have heard all week.  {Actually, for the last year!  :dance_mini: }

Sooo much better than the small group of Salisbury's "finest" youngsters, a week ago, as I cycled past.  "Gerron wiv it, yer old git!!"   :ohmyclear:  The trouble is that, at 75, it's a bit difficult to deny it...  :crazy_mini: 

Anyway, I hope the dry walling goes ok, and keep safe on that plank.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

Oh!...  Oh!...  Wow!...   "young"...  Yeaaah!...   Oh, "young"!...   Thank you, thank you kind Sir!  That's the nicest thing I have heard all week.  {Actually, for the last year!  :dance_mini: }

Sooo much better than the small group of Salisbury's "finest" youngsters, a week ago, as I cycled past.  "Gerron wiv it, yer old git!!"   :ohmyclear:  The trouble is that, at 75, it's a bit difficult to deny it...  :crazy_mini: 

Anyway, I hope the dry walling goes ok, and keep safe on that plank.

No way! I always was under the impression that you were younger than me.:biggrin_mini:

Please accept my "clip around the ear" Revoked!

I will endeavor to get back up on my plank, get on with the job in hand and stop moaning until such times that your regard has been restored.

Apologies and regards. Shaun.

PS.

Next time those little tykes are cheeky give them the "When I was your age" routine. These kids today don't know discipline and have no respect!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Absolutely no worries Shaun, you are one of many, who have been caught in the net of my totally immature ramblings.  You have no need of the "naughty plank" and the clip around the ear, might just wake me enough to grab the mug of tea before it looses every vestige of warmth.   :blink: 

Until the end of the last  July term, I had been one of the Governors at the local school where my daughter started at, 10 years ago, which, in fairness they hadn't deserved, being a good school.  They used let me go in on one day a week, to give support for the kids in small groups and sometimes in the classes.  By their Year 4 most had worked out that they were, by then, much older than me.  

e.g coming up...  

Year 2 class, where the teacher was putting pictures of basic shapes, with their names, on the projector, for them to say what the qualities were which made a Triangle, Square, Rectangle, Hexagon.....   {you get the picture}.....  after a while she showed an uneven sided shape, with the name Polygon.....  thinking to direct their thinking, she asked what qualities it didn't have.  With only a few replies, I put my hand up and said, it has no regular shape, or angles and is not a dead parrot...    I console myself that they will probably remember that for a long time... and for all the wrong reasons.

A disassociated "latch", used to spark a memory of what they needed to remember {my excuse}.  I daren't relate some of the A-Level PE moments!!!   :scared: 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Full respect for helping out with the classes. I for one never got on at school (maybe in art class) and secured a warehouse job at 16 so that I could leave early. Only then receiving any notice from the crowd when I had to return for exams wearing a nice sixties style suit and silk paisley cravat etc. 

The same kind of thing happened to my son. After we moved to Belgium, we had no choice other than to dump him in school there at 4 years old. Not so harsh as it sounds because he picked up Flemish very quickly. However, he was treated as dumb, even by the faculty at which point we put him in a different school. Years passed, the whole school none the wiser until his first English lesson. When asked to stand and say something in English he blew the whole class, school and faculty away! Even can do almost every English accent even Yanky. Something which after 15 years still evades his father!! To be honest I like to maintain my soft south coast slang as it's very popular with the gals over here.:drag:       

Regards Shaun.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Your young lad must have savoured that moment, so very, very much.  What a life changing moment, too, the English teachers must have lived in dread, knowing that knew so much better than them.   :blush:

I really enjoyed going into help out, as they could sling a small group of kids who were struggling a bit and were losing way, because the others had picked it up a bit quicker.  It was more direct contact time and generally possible to see the bits they were struggling with and explain it at their pace.  It's so very satisfying to see the face of any kid at any age, when it lights up with an understanding of how something works...  do that any day, don't need the pay!  The other reason runs a bit deeper, in that I learned that if you ask someone to do something, it should never be anything that you are not prepared to do yourself.  It follows that as a Governor, I felt I should roll up the sleeves and help the Staff to achieve the targets they were set by the Gov't.  I always ran things that way, in the RAF, teaching, with staff or pupils, Gov'r, whatever really.

I worked for 5 yrs with US army, marines and navy, always with a precise quiet very polite English voice.  They had no way to cope, as there was none of the US "exaggerated sound bite speak" and were lost for a way to challenge.  As for you, you smooth talking Brit, no worries over there, then!

Have you done that wall yet?  I'd best let you get on then.   :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/11/2021 at 12:29, jcredfer said:

Have you done that wall yet?  I'd best let you get on then.   :rolleyes:

Yes! and framed the windows.

Mrs. S. says I should paint them white. I like the bare cedar wood and to be honest I don't really want to do the circus act of getting up on that plank three or four times again. I just want to get it out of there so that the layout can go back together. 

DSCF2637.JPG.f74c3fd16e28f579e996e3bde568e211.JPG

DSCF2636.JPG.1a9e04bbed7f332b951d88df72a83286.JPG

I took a few snaps of the corner section of Goathalnd while the situation allowed.

Looking through the trees at the tunnel mouth.

DSCF2653.JPG.ba52a1ce8ecde5f60c45606aa41700f8.JPG

Down the footpath towards the station.

DSCF2651.JPG.c546ab597440793dcdbde9ed4ae0a203.JPG

Shallow end of the cutting.

DSCF2647.JPG.7371c2eb09e9dd9b03421dc18d7ba0e9.JPG

Finally a train (or Two).

K1 62032 looking very smart and purposeful.

DSCF2643.JPG.2025c4103a5e28d717ae3f21e177cce0.JPG

DSCF2646.JPG.d864dcfcd8c78d74b350aa173b28d34c.JPG

It's been a great week, starting with the purchase of a loco kit. Complete with motor wheels and gears etc.

LEN1_202111031359_3812345_Qty1_1.jpg.c418305d3161043a47f1f201758d65e7.jpg

Much work has been done this week topped off by a nice full Sunday chicken roast lunch for one. (A rare occurrence in the Sasquatch household).

Regards To you all Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
Gobbledygook
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, boxerbayrailway said:

Looks super,  I like the bare cedar wood as well.   A new loco kit makes any week a great one :D

Thanks mate. The loco kit was a great price and I'd wager, the only N1 that Hattons have ever sold.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 4