Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Not much doing this week but did get back into it today briefly.

I decided to change the living room windows on the second pair of semi's and then had to change that feature on the first pair as they do rather look more the part.

1748251248_semisrewindowed.JPG.792b7d150b6ac1bf5f6000dd91eecfb8.JPG

One of them has acquired a simple garage too!

garage.JPG.1db8bccd5fd61530507284fd2cafed82.JPG

Mrs. S. said it reminds her of spinners end in Harry Potter (Pro. Snapes house) on the sideboard at present. Now there's a thought: Spinners end is in a fictitious town call Cokeworth, possible name for my mill town maybe??? 

1231887852_spinnersend.JPG.b2ed9e1e126c4c38c4172f8425ad248d.JPG

Squatch. O:bo_mini:ff to take some more nyquil...

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I like the changes to the semis, it makes a very different look to them, I seem to remember that the smaller panes were often found on the rounded bay windows.  A place I had in Goodmayes, just beyond Ilford, where the rounded bays had narrow panes, but with a small skylight bit at the top.  [Built on the old sidings which had been dug into the rising land on the North side of the station in earlier, Goodmayes yard days.]

Nyquil?...   Have you got a sniffle, or just looking for some sleep?  Either way, sympathies from jab and Christmas party[not - 'onest minister], Omicronland.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, jcredfer said:

I like the changes to the semis, it makes a very different look to them, I seem to remember that the smaller panes were often found on the rounded bay windows.  A place I had in Goodmayes, just beyond Ilford, where the rounded bays had narrow panes, but with a small skylight bit at the top.  [Built on the old sidings which had been dug into the rising land on the North side of the station in earlier, Goodmayes yard days.]

Nyquil?...   Have you got a sniffle, or just looking for some sleep?  Either way, sympathies from jab and Christmas party[not - 'onest minister], Omicronland.

My sister once lived in Ilford. I based those windows on the ones in our 1950s terrace in Woodingdean. We had them replaced eventually!

Yes! had a double whammy this week, post booster syndrome and got a touch of bronchitis or something but it's not the killer vid. We did tests!

Hope that you're well mate. Regards Shaun.

• Friendly/supportive 5

Strange place, Ilford, quiet and pleasingly civilised for most of the day, but a significant, highly unpleasant, presence later on.  A number of rival gangs, involved in the usual activities, including more shootings than seemed possible, one of which did get national attention, when a car drove past the entrance to the Disco, previously the Odeon [?], and emptied most of a 9mm at the kids in the entrance hall...   mind blowing, crass, seemingly pointless...  why??  :dontknow:

I hope you get over those unpleasant afflictions very soon, it sounds pretty uncomfortable.  Interesting that Sasquash's are susceptible to some of the human bugs, too.  The covid tests are a real boon and one of the best programmes to be put out there by so many Gov'ts.

We seem to have missed the bugs, so far at least and jabbed-up to the satisfaction of the PM's latest panic distraction level instructions.  I expect to receive my congratulations card any day now...

Take care and get well soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ilford can be a dodgy place, my sister couldn't wait to move further out. Chelmsford to be precise.

The ailments have subsided, I'm feeling much better thanks as you will see...

I even heard Boris J. on the local news over here today. They must think if Boris says it's a good thing, then that's got to count for something because there's still a huge percentage who won't listen to their own government.   

Regards Shaun.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It's time to move on from houses and make a start on the structures for exchange!

With the mojo firing on all cylinders, I made a start on the goods warehouse. Some compromise has had to be made due to space restrictions however the results should look pretty convincing. 

Pictures of it are rare but here's one of it framing a Jubilee.

559915359_lyjubilee.jpg..jpg.318d264a3a45869edf6e6a5df719da09.jpg

Windows are from an American company by way of special order. I made a start on these by removing all molding flash, detaching them from the sprures  and cutting over half of them down to make 9 & 15 pane windows from the 12 pane ones as supplied. There's 82 altogether so it was quite a bit of work.

1846719700_LYwarehouse(8).JPG.df4630c88159c2cdd9e0e5e5b05af54f.JPG

Next, I worked out all the measurements and transferred those onto a decent sheet of white foam board. Then cut out large window openings free hand with a fresh blade in my mate Stanley. 

462175133_LYwarehouse(4).JPG.cce031c4b26e425a67edab56f69d5d8e.JPG

Spacers have been stuck on the insides of the walls which will assist with construction and allow the levels of the warehouse to be set as seen in the next image which looks like a muti story carpark.

1746954570_LYwarehouse(1).JPG.731a400552c6176c11393bdb8f7660ab.JPG

That all done I did a quick dry run.

176721396_LYwarehouse(3).JPG.12e04f3947195a5646f710e33cbd21e0.JPG

20452757_LYwarehouse(6).JPG.4a20274dae27d76439ab629b47f35774.JPG

735696309_LYwarehouse(5).JPG.908ff6d3e1ad357256090c1888cdbca0.JPG

At 12" wide, 18' long and 8.5" high it's certainly big enough but to be truthful, it's actually 3mm scale with a OO train door! This will be fine on the confines of my version of Bradford's south station as it's only 2 thirds as far away as it should be from the base board edge.

Lastly an aerial view of it showing how it once dominated the center of Bradford. Sad they had to go and pull it down instead of finding it a new lease of life really.   

bradford(1951)exchange_larege_old31.jpg.9c097d96534f0cf404f152d0b1c4f18f.jpg

Squatch.

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, csiedmo said:

In the newly released Bradford Railways In Colour Volume 3, there are bunch of photos of Exchange in the final years. Of interest to your project maybe, is one of the goods warehouse just prior to demolition in '68.

Thanks! There's quite a few in vol. 2 also. The pic on page 17 providing lots of detail and inspiration! I'll put a copy on my Christmas list! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Seriously had not contemplated just how much work this was going to turn into.

To get this building looking convincing some thickness to the walls is required and nowhere is this more apparent than around the windows. My solution has been to pack the little bits of brick sheet with thick mounting card!

Here's the pile of parts that now need to be assembled.

DSCF2743.JPG.d3dad3cbc229aa9b8e5dba3fa20c4f44.JPG

Mounting card of a thicker type has also been employed to make the sills and lintels. On right shows light from the side as per images of the prototype which illustrates why I'm pushing my patience to its limits.

DSCF2744.JPG.fb2940baad4b713afb0fcc5ba632d11b.JPG

Painting the windows ended up becoming a bit involved too. I made these kind of long parcels out of masking tape. Two reasons: Keeps the paint off of the gluing area and stops the individual windows blowing about when the rattle can of white primer is pointed at them! The paint reacted with the tack on the tape, so I had to spend a whole evening cleaning it up with a scalpel.  

DSCF2737.JPG.1129637d3880eb7c4cf2a5f1f9b4c119.JPG

Anyway...DSCF2733.JPG.6f53949f334318916d3feeefd89de5f6.JPG

And...

DSCF2722.JPG.5cc265a720b81d9907feef8a48f9c220.JPG

Squatch. Ankle deep in soggy wet white stuff as you can see. Pretty though, ain't it.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

The effect on the tape is a good warning to us mere mortals, that come here to bow down at the Workbench.  Perhaps the words Airbrush and Acrylic might be a safer option??

Very nice view on the cards, too and a very MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jcredfer said:

The effect on the tape is a good warning to us mere mortals, that come here to bow down at the Workbench.  Perhaps the words Airbrush and Acrylic might be a safer option??

Very nice view on the cards, too and a very MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS.

Yeah, but you still need primer! Something I have not found, water based unpressurized primer. Well not at my usual haunts...

Regards Shaun. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Merry Christmas from a 'Sweltering Booborowie' :P

manna

Is that far from the beach? I was looking at one of those slide shows about how different nations celebrate Christmas. Frozen outdoor markets, cutting a tree at unthinkable elevations in 6' of snow but when it got to you lot down under, there was a picture of thousands of peeps in skimpy swimwear clutching cans of VB on a shark infested beach!:lol:  

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Yeah, but you still need primer! Something I have not found, water based unpressurized primer. Well not at my usual haunts...

Regards Shaun. 

True.  I can't remember seeing one, since the Humbrol, over 30 years ago, but preferred an oil based one anyway...

Recently I have used the Vallejo Air Airgun one, [which does't fit your unpressurised comments], but is very good.

I failed again.....   :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, jcredfer said:

True.  I can't remember seeing one, since the Humbrol, over 30 years ago, but preferred an oil based one anyway...

Recently I have used the Vallejo Air Airgun one, [which does't fit your unpressurised comments], but is very good.

I failed again.....   :rolleyes:

Humbrol #1 is still available but does need thinning with solvent if it's to be airbrushed.

I'll look out for the Vallejo one then and give it a go J.

Thanks. Shaun 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Is that far from the beach? I was looking at one of those slide shows about how different nations celebrate Christmas. Frozen outdoor markets, cutting a tree at unthinkable elevations in 6' of snow but when it got to you lot down under, there was a picture of thousands of peeps in skimpy swimwear clutching cans of VB on a shark infested beach!:lol:  

G'day Shaun

Certainly different here, we're about a 100k's from a beach, but we'll be staying home, Bar-B-Que in the backyard, and looking for shade under the Almond trees, suppose to be around 33c Christmas day, which is a nice temp.

Often go away in the caravan for Christmas, Lake or Riverside locations, hottest we ever had was around 46/47c, but Covid has kept us home this year.

manna

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Is there not a Humbrol #1 acrylic primer?  I use AK Interactive AK 175 which is a waterbased primer, but is fairly dark grey.  It is a big bottle, but I cannot find the size, but it does say that you must not use it on children under ten.  

46 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Humbrol #1 is still available but does need thinning with solvent if it's to be airbrushed.

I'll look out for the Vallejo one then and give it a go J.

Thanks. Shaun 

I will ferret in my paint box and look for the Vallejo number...  but I may not be brave enough to wake the rest of the house at this time of night...   :scared:

As might be expected from them, it does a very good job, very smooth because it's ground to Airbrush spec.

• RMweb Premium
On 17/12/2021 at 15:14, ChrisN said:

Is there not a Humbrol #1 acrylic primer?  I use AK Interactive AK 175 which is a waterbased primer, but is fairly dark grey.  It is a big bottle, but I cannot find the size, but it does say that you must not use it on children under ten.  

After Googling it I can say yes! Question is where's the nearest stockist!  Not anywhere around here that's for sure. Eugene toy and hobby sell Humbrol enamels! I've not seen the acrylic there though. Of course we won't be expecting the mail workers to risk life and limb either, so I'll have to stick with rattle can Krylons!

Regards Shaun  

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dread to think how long this lot took...

Top 18 go street side and the other 6 in pairs between the lucams above the loading awning yard side.

1947957249_Windowsections.JPG.65bf3e4386cb567482abdda145525677.JPG

Edited by Sasquatch
18 not 12. ( did more work than I thought)
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Found it.  I have the Sand colour primer  [70.614], for some vehicles and some planned scenery.  There are various primer colours, as can be seen on the link for the white one.  I also used it on the Peco Turntable, as a base for the concrete paints, largish nozzle and undiluted for coverage.  Acrylic Polyurethane apparently, whatever that might mean, I seem to remember Polyurethane being quite tough stuff. 

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/surface-primer-en/white-70600/ 

Quite like the idea of this one...  https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/surface-primer-en/skeleton-bone-70627/ 

Their comments may be of interest, including the risk-free post person.

Edited by jcredfer
Addition
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Slow progress but it's taking shape quite well despite me going about it all the wrong way. 

4 bays completed!

212082238_LYWarehousebuild(1).JPG.4475e574812553887e983a5c196933c7.JPG

The different thicknesses in the walls, have been achieved by setting the window panels into the recesses in the foamboard carcass, then adding .030" plastic card strip under the middle level and .070" mounting card strip between those. The wide brick pillar is stuck on last. Tedious work of which the cameras super macro setting shows every flaw. Luckily, I have some spackle!

247176292_LYWarehousebuild(2).JPG.22afa2d7beb69131bc3723b0f9bb1ae0.JPG

Squatch.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

``There's been a temporary lull in production while the work bench was cleared to make way for some elaborate brunches and roast dinners! If only it were possible to eat rich homemade fruit pies, cakes, pigs in blankets and heavy boozy pudding every day.:D (just why we have to wear the paper crowns to do it is questionable though).

In amongst the nuts, satsumas, chocs etc. in this year's stocking, I found a most interesting parcel containing Oxford diecasts NER P3. Just how an engine should look, lovely lines! This model is going to look right at home on Goathland, so I'm looking forward to getting the layout back together shortly and having a running session.

DSCF2764.JPG.532a8b8df4e37bebf761a8f80ec22c2d.JPG

Meanwhile there has been more progress on the warehouse for Exchange. Next work will begin on the other side and the end should be simple to do. The roof however looks like a bit of a challenge.

DSCF2763.JPG.b47782e59b3b92f78e1307c01002e180.JPG

We have been blessed with a white Christmas here. Nowhere we've been, is the snow as deep as it is at our house though. A full foot 15" of it and so we built our first Christmas snowman. 

463890904_snow2021(1).JPG.78d0893b2944988ab4b2c84a012a74ed.JPG

531159315_snow2021(4).JPG.e6f8bc70b70b251e83d67028dfc6e5e6.JPG

1042377571_snow2021(3).JPG.897416cf8f4ef9c05c200aafc58fa11b.JPG

This was moter-in-laws on boxing day evening. Truly magical. 

1979570523_snow2021(2).JPG.2418901cb4c304554f4ec0f5b90322f0.JPG

Hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas

Regards Shaun. 

Edited by Sasquatch
BURRRRR
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1