Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Jason (sandside) I have been on Google earth exploring various towns around the west riding but Keighley just draws me in. I want to make a model of the Globe Inn the other side of that bridge and the derelict mill. A few short terraces ending halfway up a steep hill (so West Riding) and the mill across from the station which is almost finished!!

The way that the railways of both sides of the Pennines weave their way in and out, up and down, over and under each other makes for the best settings for model trains.

Thanks for the offer of photographs if your out and about and see some of this inspirational stuff by all means take some pics and post them. I'm sure you're far too busy to make a special trip though! But thankyou for your kind offer

Regards Shaun.  

post-8964-0-51372400-1385660252_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-45613500-1385660274.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Clay.

Happy Thanks Giving to you mate. Don't eat too much!

Having had to reframe from exhibiting locally this weekend I may try to contact the guys who organize the Eugene show and ask if they'll have Goathland next year. Other than that if yoy are ever in southern Oregon PM me as you would be welcome to visit!

Here's my new 7F running light engine on that viaduct.

post-8964-0-43736400-1385668792_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

post-4901-0-27281100-1385713386_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of quick pics of that mill in Keighley that I'm working on.

Excellent! I particularly like the window-frame colour! Yup, you know what I'm talking about ;-)But as always, I've got sweet Fanny Adams to show for myself. I really should keep it buttoned!

In truth, I'm becoming more depressed by the day at not being able to complete the slightest thing.

"Enjoy your health and modelling while you can, people! - It doesn't last forever..."

But now I'll take a liberty and put up an image of fifties Newcastle that presses all my buttons, 'cos the adverts show the era beyond argument - This is a proper Hovis advert! Notice, too, the sashes still have multi-panes, something you very rarely see modelled on terraces, yet they were often the norm as built. This is not a particularly grotty example, acres of Byker, Walker and Scotswood were like this. I've a huge collection of photographs. Sigh... :( lol

I'll understand if you delete it Shaun.

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 1

Sasquatch

Lots of great stuff including 

post 278

I like the Last of the Summer rWine TV reference (but then I would wouldn't I)

That house with the sunflowers appears scratch built, 

Honeydukes.....mmmmm sweeties....Does Harry pop down there? Or is he and Ron already inside as the car is outside?

The picture of the Birch Inn shows how much attention to its real geographical placing has been considered, It's a crying shame they didn't build it with the slope and the doors make that rather difficult, I  plan to try the road far in enough in front to gate the road angle and fudge the doors, we'll see, but you have the side buildings the bridge (a double) all nicely considered.

Loving the Keighley mill too, shall really look forward to you doing some serious modelling, beautiful work.

Love your attention to detail.

• RMweb Premium

Tony. You really need to stop worrying for not having anything to show. I'm sure that I speak for everybody on here when I say that you're one of the nicest blokes on here and we all highly value your input. Further more what use is RMweb if there's no room for those who are struggling with modeling matters and health.

This image of Newcastle in the 50s is wonderful. There's details in them there working class houses which shout volumes! I grew up with my gran and granddad in a 50s built terrace and remember it well. Gran would polish her brass door knocker weekly and get granddad to paint the door step brick red at least twice a year. The back door was never locked so that tradesmen such as the coal man, milk man or bin men had access to the side room. There weren't any trains for miles so it was a very clean housing estate.  Our house was new of course but my uncles in the center of Brighton still had multi pane windows and the rendering was in a poor state! It's all this kind of stuff is that makes the atmosphere on a layout. It's a bygone age of soot!

I did most of my travelling around Great Britain in the 1990s and haven't seen much of the north at all. Our scooter club was great friends with a club from the west riding, I particularly loved their accents and had a real feel for the place much different from that of the seagull infested south.

It's the working class industrial north which I aim to capture in model form as it is just the right place for model trains!

So I'm always grateful for pics such as these!

Regards Shaun.

• RMweb Premium

Jaz, the houses in the village are made from wills products the post office is a wills craftsman kit but made using different stonework than supplied with it. Honeydukes was inspired by Dave "Tetleys" Shakespeare's rotten row building. Well the back of it anyway. The church is the discontinued Hornby kit.

I should get a super macro shot of the Ford Anglia to show Potter and Weasley huh?    It's a damp foggy day so I won't be doing any outside photography today. Pity as I want to get a coulpe more pics of that abbey.

Regards Shaun. 

Lol being a southerner I can confirm that I cannot remember at anytime any mates drinking shandy. real scrumpy yes, the girls would travel to places that made cocktails and guys trailed along in our wake though I think a snake bite was the closest to a cocktail that the guys invested in. Now if you mean larger louts I knew lots of them. A bundle liked brandy chasers. But shandy? I have only ever seen it in supermarkets in cans.

Oh yeah and one guy would order babycham, and was vastly amused when his mates had to order it when it was their round.

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

We were affectionately known by our friends from up north as "Dirty Shandy Swillin Southerners" or words to that effect!

The pints up there come in 24oz straight glasses and I can remember the ribbing we got when two blokes from Normanton were served 20oz in jugs one weekend. Not pleasant!!

A couple of weeks back we found ourselves in one of those theme pubs over here in Ashland. It felt like I was in a Robin Hood film set. The bar staff were doing their very best to put on British accents. So I piped up "A flagan  of your finest ale serf". To which I herd someone say "oh , A real English accent". The pint was a 16oz Black Butte porter, not bad stuff but 16oz. I ask you......    

• Like 1

Hi

It's "You Soft Shandy Drinking Southern  s****s", though the last word is often changed.

Often preempted with "get back on your **** bus"

Sandgrownuns are not in anyway prejudiced, so they have something to say to most Grockles, not just them from south o manc

but lets not go down that road.

Edited by Kal

• RMweb Premium

Just for the record I've never drank shandy in my life and lived in Helgium for seven years where the beer will see any larger lout into the gutter well before 11. Hell some of the bars don't even open till then!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So I thought some of you might like to see the guts.

Pics 1&2 show the connection between the station and bridge boards.

Pic  3 the double slip wiring with atlas solenoid switch.

The last two are of the control panel which can be mounted on the back or front of the layout. Note the wiring loom and gammy hand.

post-8964-0-69414500-1385759907_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-78403200-1385759929_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-09926200-1385759947_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-03648500-1385759960_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-16956700-1385759975_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

And for those who aren't interested in the electrical side, here are a couple more of the village scene.

It's bloody cold here today and I'm being a whimp about it, so must get dressed up and get outside and do something. 

post-8964-0-01542700-1385760614_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-25804100-1385760634_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-21131000-1385760648_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I used to work in a pub in the Lake District, up in Great Langdale. We had a Kiwi barman who wasn't known for mincing his words and one day, a bloke (obviously not a local) came in and asked for a half. "You can have a pint or piss off" said our Antipodeans friend; he had a pint :)

• Like 1

Tony. You really need to stop worrying for not having anything to show. I'm sure that I speak for everybody on here when I say that you're one of the nicest blokes on here and we all highly value your input. Further more what use is RMweb if there's no room for those who are struggling with modeling matters and health.

This image of Newcastle in the 50s is wonderful. There's details in them there working class houses which shout volumes! I grew up with my gran and granddad in a 50s built terrace and remember it well. Gran would polish her brass door knocker weekly and get granddad to paint the door step brick red at least twice a year. The back door was never locked so that tradesmen such as the coal man, milk man or bin men had access to the side room. There weren't any trains for miles so it was a very clean housing estate.  Our house was new of course but my uncles in the center of Brighton still had multi pane windows and the rendering was in a poor state! It's all this kind of stuff is that makes the atmosphere on a layout. It's a bygone age of soot!

I did most of my travelling around Great Britain in the 1990s and haven't seen much of the north at all. Our scooter club was great friends with a club from the west riding, I particularly loved their accents and had a real feel for the place much different from that of the seagull infested south.

It's the working class industrial north which I aim to capture in model form as it is just the right place for model trains!

So I'm always grateful for pics such as these!

Regards Shaun.

You're very kind, Shaun, but its obvious your supporters think very differently.

All the best to you and yours,

Tony.

Do you have any overhead shots of the points and sidings at Goathland?

I am trying to work out the best, most realistic, but producible layout using standard peco 75. I don't want to get into hand built track this time around.

I think you have used a curved point on the south and a y on the north?

Yours looks very convincing and I am guessing it is standard peco faire?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kal. Yes mate all peco standard code100. except the double slip under the road bridge which is code75 as the code100 one isn't much cop.  I'm fully aware that this should be a single slip but I wanted to shunt one train while the other was passing on the viaduct end if you get my drift. It doesn't show as its under that bridge.

Wish I had included two catch points as well, especially now our layout is receiving so much attention.   

Here you go....

Edit... Tis not clear in this pic but there are two curved points here. Both the manual siding ones!!!  

You may also have noticed that the peco motor mounts have been trimmed orff giving a finer look. I use Gaugemaster SEEP motors and hot glue them in place!

I even recall hot gluing peco switches under/on top of them to help with frog polarity. Tis all live frog BTW :drag:

post-8964-0-41808400-1385824981_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2