Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Amazing pictures - the one above is really interesting to see that there are 3 sidings to the rights plus the head shunt to the old mine chutes.  Also, post 173 is a huge surprise as I never realised the station was ever in that state - I just assumed it had always been kept in the current condition.  How long was it in disrepair for?  I guess about 5 yrs?

Edited by silky_jack

Agreed the chute being of interest to us, I noticed the feed straight away, and as Silky_Jack says never even considered it went out of use, tho' I did read the writing and it states when it was shut.

Ian you have to stop working when your sneaking a look ;p

And I have to take back what I said what I thought might be a foot bridge isn't. So now we know why the pedestrian crossing is so complex, i.e. gates, fences etc. Would be really nice to know where the bridge came from, but apparently the powers that be never thought that would be of interest. Although considering it occurred after it reopened, it must be on record.

If anyone reading this visits Goathland please ask the station staff the question, and pop it up here, we would love to know the answer.

According to NYMR Goathland Station: A Brief History, a Levisham Station Group Publication (2010), 

"The only way between the two platforms was by the foot crossing. In 1984 the NYMR erected a standard NER cast iron footbridge to cope with the increasing passenger numbers. Recovered from Howden on North Tyneside, it became available due to the elctrification of the Tyneside Metro. It makes a high vantage point to view the trains arriving anbd departing the station. A similar foobrodge was erected at Pickering in 1996."

http://www.nymr.co.uk/shop/Books.html

GD%20ST.jpg

Edited by cgraham
  • Like 1

Pelton Wheel and Stone Crusher
The original power for the crusher was a stationary steam engine which was removed in 1900 when the boiler expired. Water power was harnessed as a cheaper option.
A Pelton Wheel was supplied in 1936 to Mr. Sherratt at Goathland Whinstone Mine by Gilber Gilkes & Gordon of Kendal and replaced an earlier wheel which was worn out. It was used for driving the stone crusher and grader and also for hauling railway wagons up the quarry siding. The water supply came from a reservoir on the moor top above the station. The wheel remained in use until closure of the mine in 1951 and was then forgotten and buried. It was unearthed by the NYMR in 1969 and returned to use. It was used to drive a carriage dynamo which generated electric current for the original volunteers’ sleeping car for the first time on 26th October 1969.

Sil-Howe-(Goathland)_25499.jpgSil-Howe-(Goathland)_25497.jpg

Nice collection of recent photos here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/17716-goathland-photos/

Edited by cgraham
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant stuff Clay.If is wasn't for the water tower in the first picture I never would have believed it was Goathland. Not a tree in sight!

Here is another old pic I found of a J25 pulling a mixed goods in 1951.

And an interesting article on the NYMR Here .

Edited by Sasquatch

Hi

I was also interested to read, it is not the original station. If you look closely on google maps you can see the route of the original line.

Edited by Kal

Hi

I was also interested to read, it is not the original station. If you look closely on google maps you can see the route of the original line.

Sorry I haven't mentioned this before, I just presumed you all already knew. The original trackbed is now a walk to Grosmont, conveniently going very close to the Birch Hall Inn en route for refreshments!!I have a couple of pics of the original structures:

post-8977-0-31726400-1381174783_thumb.jpg

post-8977-0-17285300-1381174798_thumb.jpg

post-8977-0-60944600-1381174924_thumb.jpg

post-8977-0-58686500-1381174973_thumb.jpg

post-8977-0-69528200-1381174993_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

"On the 11th of July 1861 the North Eastern Railway, formed by the amalgamation of the York and North Midland and three other Companies, obtained an Act of Parliament to build the deviation at a cost of £55,000, so that locomotives could haul goods and passengers up the hill, replacing the rope incline. The 4 1/2 mile route included seven new river bridges, one viaduct, four over-bridges and a new station called Goathland Mill. It was built adjacent to the mill which is just the other side of the access road bridge to the station. If you look over the road bridge at the station entrance towards the south, you can see where the river was diverted to build the new station and provide space for the goods yard.

The deviation, over a mainly 1 in 49 gradient, opened on 1st July 1865. As time progressed the "Mill" part of the name was dropped and today it is simply known as Goathland.

Much of the original 1836 track formation from Grosmont Tunnel to Fen Bog can still be seen from the train. There is a double footpath along most of the 1836 route between Goathland and Grosmont, including the infamous incline. This "Rail Trail" is well sign-posted and you can see the York and North Midland Railway and North Eastern Railway built cottages at the top and bottom of the incline, as well as some stone-built drainage channels beside the incline."

-NYMR Goathland Station: A Brief History

Edited by cgraham
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sasquatch, do you have an overall track plan of the entire layout you have built?

I will draw one up when I get 5 minutes. My plan uses live frog turnouts. It is double track oval with passing loops on the fiddle yard side and the only difference to the track layout in the station is that I used a double slip under cowarth bridge instead of a single. There is a 1 in 50 gradient through the station and one going down over the viaduct.

The simple fiddle yard can hold 16 trains and is seen here in use on Dunster.

post-8964-0-98184300-1381249764.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Its a quick sketch up in paint but you get the gist of it. The bottom configuration is for exhibition and I hope to have veiwing from both sides in my new layout building. (new wiring finished, insulation and drywall next by order of SWMBO).

post-8964-0-77811700-1381275656_thumb.png

For  comparison

post-8964-0-19135900-1381278199_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-26261300-1381277210_thumb.jpg

Here you can see where most of the compression happened!

post-8964-0-14787100-1381277894_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-27727900-1381277921_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

late 1950s-early 1960s with B1 and A8 double heading mainline gresley stock. Note the gents roof is open which kind of shows the weigh bridge house as a seperate structure and there appears to be a greenhouse at the entrance to the goods yard.

post-8964-0-23887600-1381290854_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

Hi,

Thank you very much for posting the layout plan - it's excellent.  I love the fact you have done it so that you can turn it round for shows.  ;)  

The overhead shots really show off just how impressive your build has been.  I can't find any fault.  Unfortunately I cannot produce such a close representation on my layout so there will be quite a lot of artistic license going on :( 

• RMweb Premium

What did you use to model the surface of the goods yard/car park?

Crafters Acrylic paint mix with fine sand and maybe some PVA.  I use only water based products because you can mix anything to any consistancy, clean up easy, it's non toxic and usually dries very fast! Oh and you get 10 times for your money.Tried humbrol acrylic once it cost a fortune for 3 brush loads and dried on the brush while I was trying to use it.

• RMweb Premium

Love all the questions!!!

The platforms where a bit tricky on account of the curve and slope. The edge is strips of slaters OO paving stuck down with contact cement ( PVA doesn't stick styrene very well) the suface is card probably from a shredded wheat box. The walls are long thin rips of MDF with Peco LK-40 stone sheet gaps filled with plaster coloured with........ you guessed it.... crafters acrylic !

I'm not happy with my platforms as they are too low on account of not allowing for the cork track bed at the woodwork stage.

You may not be happy with them...but I think they look brilliant.  I have made mine from shaping wood but I need to cover them now with something suitable....the tops are what is troubling me the most.  So you literally painted directly onto the cardboard?

• RMweb Premium

Here is the tricky part. The station seat was made by cutting the platform and setting it straight with blocks and nails so that the building didn't lean. The office got sanded on a belt sander which you can see in this pic along with a close up of the platform. 

post-8964-0-39750600-1381332352_thumb.jpg

• Like 3