Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, richard i said:

Bottom one is a Q1 the top might be or an o4 difficult to tell at this distance. The last Q1 had the same splashier design as the o4s. 

Richard

Hi Richard.

Always thought the top one was an O4!

The bottom one does look like a Q1,  The first picture at least looks as if the photographer couldn't get his camera out quick enough. I say that because most pictures of trains at Queensbury were taken head on. Most are N1s on the local passenger trains and J50s with pick up goods. Having said that it might be taken into account that the train in the first picture might not have been brought to a stop.

There's pictures of J6s elsewhere on the line but I haven't seen one at Queensbury. One day I've promised myself to scratch build one!

Regards Shaun

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Richard.

Always thought the top one was an O4!

The bottom one does look like a Q1,  The first picture at least looks as if the photographer couldn't get his camera out quick enough. I say that because most pictures of trains at Queensbury were taken head on. Most are N1s on the local passenger trains and J50s with pick up goods. Having said that it might be taken into account that the train in the first picture might not have been brought to a stop.

There's pictures of J6s elsewhere on the line but I haven't seen one at Queensbury. One day I've promised myself to scratch build one!

Regards Shaun

Sorry to interrupt, but think you mean Q4 in the bottom pic, Q1 was the rebuild into a tank engine.

regards Robert

ps enjoying the thread.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

45 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Sorry to interrupt, but think you mean Q4 in the bottom pic, Q1 was the rebuild into a tank engine.

regards Robert

ps enjoying the thread.

Whoops, mea culpa. Usually use the gcr terms , it all changes when you go modern image after 1923. 

Satch i would speak to mr king about his resin cast one. 

Richard

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

regards Robert

ps enjoying the thread.

Not interrupting at all.  This is what threads are all about!!

Yes you're right! I always overlook the Q1 as being a tank engine.

If you look at the two pictures long enough anyone would be forgiven for thinking it's the same locomotive.

A little investigation is needed.

I've seen the second picture before. In "The Queensbury Lines" by Alan Whitaker & Bob Cryer. Where the the caption reads:

"A very unusual visitor to Queensbury station in early BR days was this O1 class 2-8-0 on a breakdown train".

This picture shows the engine with "BRITISH RAILWAYS" on the tender. The photographer probably recorded the wheel arrangement correctly and it might well be a Gresley O1 by this time (1948-1952) reclassified as O3. Hard to tell. I'm sure we agree it's not a Thompson O1.

Will make Manna happy if it is a Gresley O1!!!

Regards Shaun

Edit. If the photographer did indeed know his engines (Why else would anyone waste precious film on grubby trains) it would explain why it wasn't recorded as an O3!!!

Edited by Sasquatch
Os&Qs and Qs&As.Not Ps&Qs.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Having made a good study of this picture IMO I would say that this is either an O4 or Q4. I would go with O4 judging by the boiler length.

The foot plate is wrong for any other O class engine, the cab profile looks decisively Great Central and the reversing lever is what might clinch it. Still a bit confusing around the splasher area though.

1135759816.jpg.e09dbb25ad9212301da4faf261d11948.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
Turned slash into splash
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Let's have a bit of fun shall we.

O4 at the same location on the layout with a breakdown train similar to the one in the original Picture.

1898419256_O4(1).JPG.164a75e945cf6a14b1d57f403c30c192.JPG

This one is a Q6.

Q6.JPG.c79cb7b8b3626378d8f2c856a3dfa4d0.JPG

Which looks more at home here...

DSCF0801.JPG.52776098a3f5f19c3eef1f8546664b77.JPG

...or here in technicolor.

DSCF0799.JPG.6feb10120d17375d64623a915f67c195.JPG

O4 entering Goathland with break van.

DSCF0807.JPG.327d5ace50107ab03c385aeef48799a2.JPG

The pic of the O4 again untouched. Quite nice lighting.

202703311_O4(2).JPG.7d19142b601a01aa9ce443bd7d8dc85d.JPG

Back to the modeling. Squatch.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 16/02/2020 at 22:54, Sasquatch said:

Wont be a problem. That's BR period I believe, so I might consider a repaint into blood and custard. Only problem is W19 is standing in platform 7 and I've only modeled platforms 1-5!

Now I'm wondering how long W19 worked in West Yorkshire.

Thanks for posting:sungum:

Regards Shaun

August 1952, so you might get away with chocolate & cream, but you’ll have to change the GWR roundel to the twin shields.  You’ll also need to change the number as this is W20W.

When I saw this photo I had to have it for 2 reasons as it combines my love of GWR and Bradford.

• Like 2

G'day Folks

Looking at both of the pictures above. IMHO, the top one is a O4/4 ( rebuilt with a O2 boiler) the cab roof has a shallower curve, or a O4/7, the bottom one I think is a standard O4 ( thinner boiler)

I like you model interpretations.

manna

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

August 1952, so you might get away with chocolate & cream, but you’ll have to change the GWR roundel to the twin shields.  You’ll also need to change the number as this is W20W.

When I saw this photo I had to have it for 2 reasons as it combines my love of GWR and Bradford.

It is a great picture.

W19W was working the Queensbury route in 1944 on trials. Seen here at Queensbury passing the signal box on the Bradford-Halifax line. 

Picture : "The Queensbury Lines" by Alan Whitaker & Bob Cryer.

506976817_W19W1944.JPG.021ceed9b70f084e687650a2b52f4324.JPG

Regards Shaun

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

Looking at both of the pictures above. IMHO, the top one is a O4/4 ( rebuilt with a O2 boiler) the cab roof has a shallower curve, or a O4/7, the bottom one I think is a standard O4 ( thinner boiler)

I like you model interpretations.

manna

Getting into sub classes shows you have knowledge mate!

The model pictures were fun to do. My big thing this year is to get Queensbury looking about right so I can take half decent pictures.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Duplicate post, so I have deleted the contents to bring you a J50 somewhere in the West Riding with one of those pick up goods workings.

1413471566_goathlandtrains(2).JPG.633efcc14249a043190684e8d352dbe4.JPG

Edited by Sasquatch
Duplicate post
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Having made a good study of this picture IMO I would say that this is either an O4 or Q4. I would go with O4 judging by the boiler length.

The foot plate is wrong for any other O class engine, the cab profile looks decisively Great Central and the reversing lever is what might clinch it. Still a bit confusing around the splasher area though.

This one is definitely an 0-8-0 they were the only ones with that splasher set up. 

Richard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Leaving aside the loco, the important question actually is, what is the Birdcage break that sits behind it?  (It is Victorian therefore a Break Van, not a Brake Van,)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Last night I made the chimney breasts for the three longer platform buildings.

DSCF0809.JPG.f56a8237c97d57f530b93c1664005658.JPG

This picture is just to show the guts of a building. I found it best to let the paint become touch dry before wiping it off gave the best results. Door muntings have been picked out in green.

DSCF0795.JPG.34020668f496184e02f2e275b63be2a9.JPG

With my ginger buddy snuggled up in the styrene drawer.

DSCF0794.JPG.d930b2716d938bb7b55c4648a74fe6d2.JPG

Picture of Brow lane bridge which shows the scribbed stone work to good effect.

DSCF0806.JPG.d9cf5c64ebfa8c517e391cc13b53c1cd.JPG

And lastly a train. That Q6 on Goathland again.

DSCF0800.JPG.b7a7c0693da185971b06ba081f97f1ac.JPG

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

Leaving aside the loco, the important question actually is, what is the Birdcage break that sits behind it?  (It is Victorian therefore a Break Van, not a Brake Van,)

Good question. I will look into that Chris. Could be a breakdown train crew and tool van, possibly of NE origin. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Picture of Brow lane bridge which shows the scribed stone work to good effect.

Grrrrrr... I hate you.

I have to cheat and use embossed styrene, and then you come along and just make scribing look so easy.

Lovely, lovely work, even the chimney breasts look great.

(I nearly said nice breasts, but that didn't sound right)

Al.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

This picture is just to show the guts of a building. I found it best to let the paint become touch dry before wiping it off gave the best results. Door muntings have been picked out in green.

I had to look that word up and now I'm not sure I wanted to know.  You might want to adopt the more common US version without the "g" because with the "g" it means something else entirely in UK slang it appears. :unsure:

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

OMG...

Just got back from a very positive visit with my endocrinologist and a well earned bacon burger and pint. Now I fear a I might end up hugging the big white telephone after indulging my curiosity  also.

That must be the worst spelling error ever! Never was my strong point.

Sorry! Guys.:sorry:

Edited by Sasquatch
Forgot to quote. Understandable due to circumstances.
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Grrrrrr... I hate you.

I have to cheat and use embossed styrene, and then you come along and just make scribing look so easy.

Lovely, lovely work, even the chimney breasts look great.

(I nearly said nice breasts, but that didn't sound right)

Al.

Breasts are Peco 36E LK40.

Not immune from cheating either from time to time.

• Like 4