Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Afternoon Shaun,

Superb craftsmanship as ever on the wagons and, just as Andy and Al mentioned, the mill looks like a superb project. A real plus that you won't need to worry about glazing all those windows!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Shaun, That Mill looks a beast, and will be an impressive structure when completed, also love the weathering Mate, really nice work as usual.

All the best from the BETTER side of the Pond, ahhahah.

Evening Bodge. (You're probably nicely tucked up in bed right now, having dreams about being in-caved in some plywood  coracle full of automated OO goodies). While I've taken a break from cabinetry and got cracking on with yet more weathering. 

Just been catching up Shaun, hence a rash of "likes".

Some great images of your usual fantastic modelling.

That mill looks like fun :)

Al.

Hi Al, Thanks :sungum:

I have found a nice sheet of stone colored foam board in Wally World (WALMART) for under $3!!!

Afternoon Shaun,

Superb craftsmanship as ever on the wagons and, just as Andy and Al mentioned, the mill looks like a superb project. A real plus that you won't need to worry about glazing all those windows!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock, 

Yes no windows. :yahoo:. There's some nice warm days coming up here and I plan to get the track on that extension.

Looks good as always Squatch, I really like that last pic of the Ivatt and at least you're not having to weather 25 wagons in a week like I did before Warley!

Thanks Wil. 25 in a week sounds like a lot, I trust you had fun at Warley and that your layout was well received.

Was thinking of you when I weathered this...

Not too much and you must agree it looks much better?

post-8964-0-90334600-1427334637_thumb.jpg

The J39 also has received attention. I'm trying not to over do it on these locos as most pictures of engines circa 1940-1955 look well tended. It's a fact that during the war, women cleaned trains while the lads were away and from a general observation of life they are much better at cleaning things than most men I know!  

The thick brown weathering applied by the RTR manufacturers just wont do for my period!

post-8964-0-33435400-1427334656_thumb.jpg

Some of the details such as the coupling rods, steps and hand rails have been dry brushed with Humbrol gun metal before the powders go on.

post-8964-0-34395000-1427334675_thumb.jpg

Here's two pics of 04 No. 6190 slipping with 260 tons of coal on Pottyshire's viaduct.  

post-8964-0-04309500-1427335385_thumb.jpg

The plywood blocks which form the coal load add just enough weight to the 20 coal wagons to produce a realistic slipping of the Rods driving wheels!

Sometimes I have to sand the rails by using the Peco track cleaning rubber which helps give just a little grit and grip to allow for a realistic crawling speed. :drag:

post-8964-0-38511300-1427335408_thumb.jpg

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 11

Love the curves out of the tunnel Shaun, and the weathering looks nicely understated. I remember the pride taken by the Hurlford shed cleaners in turning out 'smart' looking locos, particularly in the mid fifties - and the shed 'pet', a 2P 4-4-0 always looked like it had just been outshopped! I think a lot of weathering you see must be based on images from the last years of steam when standards naturally slipped.

Great to see you modelling again mate, and I hope it isn't stressing you too much physically, look forward to progress on the extension,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The camera is set up there at the best view point on the layout. It's fascinating to watch the trains lean on the super elevation and lean out again as they enter that tunnel Jock!

My intention is to create more of that on the big layout especially as that view above will be lost unless the garage doors are opened! Queensbury station will have suitable super elevation on all 6 platforms one of which was on a 3 arch viaduct! Everything I need to build Queensbury has been acquired except for some plexi-glass (forgotten the English) for the station shelters.

First things first though, I must finish Goathland. 

Edited by Sasquatch

It has the look of a building not much longer left standing...

Will you be modelling it as it is now, or as it was in it's hey day?

After seeing Jason's mill, I'm itching to build one myself, but i've a still unfinished signal box (which after my current builds, I'm back to working on - mojo definitely back) and a row of stone cottages, not to mention 3.5 metres of retaining wall for a customer!

Plus, I've nowhere on the layout to put one, unless.... *ponders.....*rushes off to draw up a mill in Illustrator....

• RMweb Premium

I want to build a derelict mill or Luftwaffe incendiary destroyed example which would be more in keeping with my period!

Truth is I've lost the heart to do any more dammed windows Haha. I've always had a fascination for ruins and urban decay!!

The idea behind Grim Up North is to have a post war environment, without any flat surfaces and little straight track. The grubby trains will weave about through a decaying scene and I hope to blend them in nicely. 

Compare these two pictures of Queensbury, the first sometime after the first war and the second some time after WWII.

A lot of the railway infrastructure has gone and what's left  is in need of attention. The engine isn't even lined out indicating a severe lack of money!

post-8964-0-36432600-1427473217.jpgpost-8964-0-68996100-1427473233.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Oh no, what's going on now.

post-8964-0-42600300-1427654661.jpg

Hacking up a perfectly good Skaledale signal cabin.

I said that I'd have a go a modeling this box better on page one. There's one of those new Ratio signal box interior kits ready to go in and two taller finials caps have been made by stretching some plastic sprure over a lit match. A new veranda will be constructed from micro strip and maybe even a buttress for the rear wall. The door will be ajar and has been fashioned from a Wills green house offcut. I also found enough letters on some 25 year old Coopercraft signal box name frets to add names to both ends. Couldn't live with Hogsmead any longer! 

post-8964-0-01519100-1427654703_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-31443600-1427654718.jpg

post-8964-0-51438300-1427654734.jpg

• Like 9

Oh no, what's going on now.

attachicon.gifOh no..JPG

Hacking up a perfectly good Skaledale signal cabin.

I said that I'd have a go a modeling this box better on page one. There's one of those new Ratio signal box interior kits ready to go in and two taller finials caps have been made by stretching some plastic sprure over a lit match. A new veranda will be constructed from micro strip and maybe even a buttress for the rear wall. The door will be ajar and has been fashioned from a Wills green house offcut. I also found enough letters on some 25 year old Coopercraft signal box name frets to add names to both ends. Couldn't live with Hogsmead any longer! 

attachicon.gifDetails.JPG

attachicon.gifBox.jpg

attachicon.gifButtress.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this one! Layout is looking superb

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Wolf! Mrs. S.wmbo has me working outside. I've already jump started the mower and done 1.3 aches of grass. Got some more tiding up and trimming before I can get back to this and I was well into it. It is such a nice day, so I shouldn't complain huh!

Thanks Wolf! Mrs. S.wmbo has me working outside. I've already jump started the mower and done 1.3 aches of grass. Got some more tiding up and trimming before I can get back to this and I was well into it. It is such a nice day, so I shouldn't complain huh!

Enjoy mate, wind & rain here! :(

Edited by mkwolf1877

• RMweb Premium

It has been a beautiful day, the smell of cut grass is one of my favorites!

Still I did get some time on the signal cabin, I fitted the door, painted the levers and built up that veranda.

post-8964-0-46814700-1427683297_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-57408200-1427683310.jpg

There was also some time for a running session. I couldn't resist grabbing the camera  and toying with some images.

As evening draws in the J50 returns light engine.

post-8964-0-99518700-1427683325_thumb.jpg

The last train home is  headed by an A4.

post-8964-0-08478100-1427683343_thumb.jpg

Pottyshire looks rather quiet now that the tourists have gone.

post-8964-0-32099400-1427683355_thumb.jpg

The post office stays open to sell last minute lottery tickets while a J39 takes to the viaduct with vans.

post-8964-0-03093000-1427683387_thumb.jpg

I know you've been waiting until the cows come home to see the extension completed, but hey look...

post-8964-0-77297400-1427683372_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Not what your expecting, not what I was expecting either. There I was rearranging the layouts and generally tidying up then went to move one of Dunsters boards which made a tearing noise. Something nightmarish... :O

Latrodectus Hesperus  more commonly know as Black widow spider. Nasty. Very poisonous and nesting in my bunker! :triniti:

So I carefully turned the layout section around and there she was, nested up on top of the level crossing mechanism. I poked her with a stick and she made a run for it, and strung a thread dropping down through 3 access holes. I had to turn the board over and then it ran a short way across the floor before curling up and playing dead. So I crushed the bitch and her guts burst out across the concrete.

It gave me shivers and I've been edgy ever since!  :scared:   

post-8964-0-17360700-1427786843_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-91437500-1427786854_thumb.jpg

Enough of the horror stories, more about what's been happening.

Two sets of legs were knocked up in my shop this afternoon. Some ply off cuts were ripped down and cut to length. All glued and stapled together very light weight and strong.

post-8964-0-22504300-1427787489_thumb.jpgpost-8964-0-98311800-1427787511_thumb.jpg

Here we see the old connection whereby the boards just slot together. This male end will need removing. The new connection will involve marring up the boards with clamps and boring out for 4 coach bolts with wing nuts and washers. Track tomorrow, grass by Friday. :jester:     

post-8964-0-34544000-1427787546_thumb.jpg

Motive power lineup!

post-8964-0-48976300-1427787525_thumb.jpg

NYMR resident BR Mogul 76079  making a pilot trip.

post-8964-0-57917200-1427787596_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Arghh!  Do I put a 'Friendly supportive for the spider, or a 'Craftsmanship' for the boards or a like for all the locos and the picture of the layout?   Glad to see work progressing and that you are ok.

Arghh!  Do I put a 'Friendly supportive for the spider, or a 'Craftsmanship' for the boards or a like for all the locos and the picture of the layout?   Glad to see work progressing and that you are ok.

I was pondering the same problem.

I don't think that there's enough motive power though :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In no way do I deserve a friendly/supportive concerning that spider Chris. Have you seen the size of that gap under the door in the third picture. A clip around the ear icon or something would be in order!

As far as craftsmanship is concerned, as a cabinet maker they should be much nicer. Those legs took an hour to make at no cost so maybe a Rush Job/Skinflint would seem more fitting.

Mrs. S.wmbo has given me the all clear (and a good breakfast) to go work on this project all day!

I was pondering the same problem.

I don't think that there's enough motive power though :jester:

One can never have enough locomotives Duncan.  Some I've had for thirty years now and I have grown quite attached to those. Don't know what ED6001 is doing in Yorkshire or the class 16 come to think of it. There's got to be some excuse for them and if not, what the eck I like them!! Both good runners too. 

• Like 6