Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Just found this on Youtube. GNR loco with Holden quint set entering Queensbury tunnel.
<iframewidth="640"height="360"src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HzVVqSpbq3M"frameborder="0"allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/HzVVqSpbq3M

Edited several times to try to get the video to embed.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some more work has been done at last. The control panel for the signal levers and uncouplers has been made, installed and the first of the uncouplers is done and works well. While I was at it I hashed up a dummy catch point from old broken set track switch blades.

I had planned to plough on with the upgrade this month but life is never simple. We had a funny smell in the kitchen so I pulled the dishwasher out to investigate. The main waste pipe has broken so I ended up ripping out the whole kitchen. This month will now be dedicated to structural repairs, rewiring, new plumbing and building a whole new kitchen from scratch. Not modeling I'm sad to say. Picture to follow when I get ten minutes.

Squatch. With far too much on his plate as usual. :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. I'm actually really excited to get stuck into a project like this and don't see it as troubles more like the next challenge!

When you see these pictures it's hard to think we made our breakfast in there yesterday as per normal. I over did it somewhat and am taking it easy today before I begin ripping the walls down. The problem is behind the drywall but I can't see where so had no option other than to rip out the knotty pine affair. Mrs. S. has set up a temporary kitchen in the wash house where there is another sink thank heavens.

I need to go back to the bare studs and take up the floor so that we can insulate, rewire, move the appliances and then I can build Mrs. S. her dream kitchen. We're thinking beech with smoky glass panels.

post-8964-0-99831500-1440452844.jpgpost-8964-0-05010600-1440452859.jpg

Anyway enough about life, here's the pictures of the recent layout work.

Lever panel.

post-8964-0-25083000-1440452889.jpgpost-8964-0-57410500-1440452914.jpg

post-8964-0-25633400-1440452903.jpg

Uncoupler and catch point.

post-8964-0-08087400-1440453013.jpgpost-8964-0-45141400-1440453029.jpgpost-8964-0-44189900-1440453039.jpg

Happy modeling folks!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

G'day manna mate!

Of course! That or Garter blue with Indian red! Unfortunately Mrs. Sasquatch is picking out the colours.

We're going to get the insurance assessor round to see if we're covered and if we are get quotes for all the work. Then I'll do it myself and there'll be plenty left over for some apple green stuff from the NRM in the end!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Luckily my friend down the road (the one with the wood mill) was once a contractor and the advice he gives makes him worth his weight in gold.
If it were up to me I'd deck the place out like a Victorian waiting room on the GNR or LBSCR. I painted my last house in Belgium out in MR colours unbeknown to my ex! Hahahahah. Lemon chrome with crimson trim!!! :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's hard to believe it's been over a month since my last post.

At little modeling actually got done last week amidst all the reconstruction work, namely a new, larger tunnel mouth and the retaining wall for the extension board on Goathland. My hand ached after scribing all those stones I can tell ya! 

Here's a couple of pics to whet your appetite.

post-8964-0-03953800-1443985702_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-54105100-1443985713_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-25216400-1443985725_thumb.jpg

This is where I'm at with the kitchen for those of you who are interested. So far I have removed all the rotten wood and taken out all the plaster & lathe which reveled more damage caused by carpenter ants. All the wood work has been replaced including doubling up the rafters. One window has been taken out and moved, one wall has gone, the plumbing is completed, including moving the water heater. A new waste pipe installed and the electrical work has started. Phew!!!

post-8964-0-01470700-1443985738.jpg

post-8964-0-25572900-1443985753.jpg

Squatch, enjoying home made Belgian waffles in our temporary kitchenette this morning.

• Like 7

Morning(here!) Shaun,

An epic task my friend, and I'm pleased to see that you've managed to fit in some of your superb modelling as a break from the kitchen rebuild. The scribed stonework is going to look superb when weathered - perhaps when your hand and available time allows, you could give us an idea of the tools, materials and method used?

I assume that you have to squeeze lots of insulation material into the kitchen roof and walls with the severity of your winters over there?

Hope you aren't over doing things, and that you are able to keep the business ticking over whilst trying to give Mrs Sqatch her dream kitchen. You haven't mentioned how you fared with the insurance assessor - they aren't my favourite breed, after the many years I mis-spent in the motor trade, due to the fact that most are actually targeted for how much they can save their company!

Keep the posts coming, we do worry when one of our digital friends goes quiet on here,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock. When I paint the walling I'll take some photos and explain the method used.

The winters can get cold here and the first thing we talked about was going down to the studs so that we can insulate.
It's an older house (by American standards) so every thing needs updating. There's no grounding (earth wire) for instance and this was the excuse the insurance assessor used. "Lack of maintenance". The waste pipes are were arranged in a funny way, one was blocked which meant the water was sitting in there and rusted through! We found out that we have a $2400 deductible and would loose a big no claims bonus so I did a quick costing exercise and found out I could do it all myself for less!! Probably quicker too, as it took the assessor 10 days to show up.

Rewiring today!! A job I really enjoy. 6 circuits in total.

I'll try not to leave it so long until my next post.

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow mate loads to do and some superb modelling in the process, its really good to see you back on here again.

Not really been off mate, just not had anything to post!

Regards Shaun. 

Morning Shaun,

Good to hear that the 'bosses' kitchen is now on the way back together. Do your hands get worse as the weather gets colder? I hope you will be in a position to continue posting 'lessons' again soon - I'm about to order a couple of Parkside 16T Mineral wagons, on the advice of Jason, and I'll be keeping your wagon building tutorial to hand whilst I practice on them!

Look forward to hearing from you again soon,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

Hi Tony mate!

Great to have you back! I was wondering where you'd got to?

A long, rather hellish story. Her Ladyship's MS is much worse and I'm not too good - severe carpel-tunnel in both wrists - not the best outlook for the hobby. But hey, you manage, despite being much worse. There is some light at the end of the tunnel, but it is a very, very expensive light! so we'll see what transpires.

Regarding the layout, I'm thinking - rather than post a tiny bit here and there, with long gaps in between, I might get a lump together over a few months, then post something worth looking at, followed by *how-to's* of completed pieces. Maybe a bumper Christmas Special. (I wish! lol)

Whatever, time will tell.

More important, it's great to see you going on and on, despite your domestic chores. Goathland is already a classic ~(Why the hell haven't Brm looked at your stuff - there should be a vote - someone should raise it with his nibs) - but G up 'N will be a real page turner. It has scope, originality, and high quality.

Anyway, L8r :D

Tony.

Nice to see you, Jock, BTW. ;-) 

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Shaun,

Good to hear that the 'bosses' kitchen is now on the way back together. Do your hands get worse as the weather gets colder? I hope you will be in a position to continue posting 'lessons' again soon - I'm about to order a couple of Parkside 16T Mineral wagons, on the advice of Jason, and I'll be keeping your wagon building tutorial to hand whilst I practice on them!

Look forward to hearing from you again soon,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock. Starting cabinet making pretty soon here! The hand that got cut off nearly always feels cold! I'm not looking forward to the colder weather.( It's still in the 80s F this week)

Parkside kits fall together, they're a joy to build and don't sit in my kits box for very long! Hope you decide to share the builds with us. I'll enjoy following mate

regards Shaun   

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A long, rather hellish story. Her Ladyship's MS is much worse and I'm not too good - severe carpel-tunnel in both wrists - not the best outlook for the hobby. But hey, you manage, despite being much worse. There is some light at the end of the tunnel, but it is a very, very expensive light! so we'll see what transpires.

Regarding the layout, I'm thinking - rather than post a tiny bit here and there, with long gaps in between, I might get a lump together over a few months, then post something worth looking at, followed by *how-to's* of completed pieces. Maybe a bumper Christmas Special. (I wish! lol)

Whatever, time will tell.

More important, it's great to see you going on and on, despite your domestic chores. Goathland is already a classic ~(Why the hell haven't Brm looked at your stuff - there should be a vote - someone should raise it with his nibs) - but G up 'N will be a real page turner. It has scope, originality, and high quality.

Anyway, L8r :D

Tony.

Nice to see you, Jock, BTW. ;-)

Sad to hear about Mrs. Hal-O-The Wynd. and yourself health wise Tony. Carpel tunnel isn't any fun at all mate. I count myself lucky!!

Any posts will always be welcome, complete or otherwise (many of my projects seem to end up it thin air).

Talk later Shaun

• Like 1

Morning Shaun,

And a big hello to Tony (we seem to have lost touch lately, but obviously there haven't been many alerts on the 'Scotsward' link of late, very understandably! So sorry to hear of your ongoing tribulations my friend - I won't bother you with my current crop at the moment. Through it all, you gentlemen are an inspiration to me, coping as you do with such adversity - Thank You!

The 'Hal 'O The Wynd' Christmas special would certainly be worth waiting for.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Parkside kits Shaun, I'm definitely going to put some in my letter to Santa.

Best wishes to you both,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Now the evenings are drawing in I have managed to do a bit of modeling. Continuing with the signaling for Goathland. There's a goal here in that Goathland might be making an appearance at the local show this year for the second and last time. I was hoping to have the extension up and running which would have made exhibiting out of the question but the kitchen remodel has set that project on hold. So there you have it, a goal to get the signaling and uncoupling up and running by thanks giving! My wife's step dad Greg, has also set another challenge... Thanks giving dinner at our house, so the kitchen needs to be operable by then too. Greg has nearly finished the drywall. I have designed and started the cabinet work.

Here's the next signal.

post-8964-0-63165500-1445843806.jpgpost-8964-0-14719000-1445843826_thumb.jpg 

As mentioned a few pages back I'll be kit bashing some Ratio GWR kits to make these. I started by drilling, reaming, paring and filing away the plastic spectacle plates into a more NE looking item. The arm has been cut off as the slotted post arms are attached to the pivot. I then cut off the spectacle plates from 3 more arms thus the pivot will hold both parts. This work was carried out while the parts were still attached to the sprures.

post-8964-0-36129700-1445843778.jpg

• Like 6

Just shows how badly I've been keeping up with stuff - missed your reply and Jock's kind comments! :(

Everything is looking good - domestically and your scenic development.

Just thought I'd mention what I quoted on my thread regarding YouTube embedding: share, paste in and cross the "s" off https, ie, "http" - and it's as simple as that. :)

Regards,

Tony

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony . Thanks for checking in.

Goathland is now booked to appear at the local show this year! Yay!!    Now all I have to do is finish some signals and work out how to get it all in my truck.

Progress in the kitchen has been excellent, so hopefully some modeling time will be available.

Regards Shaun

• Like 6