Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock.

There's a secret to keeping the mojo alive. Feed it well! So the kitchen is up to scratch so far. Will put up some pics in the morning.

Seeing as we had some mild weather today I found a hour this evening to get the air brush out and spray some stock that I've been meaning to do. 

The colour looks a bit off to me. When it's dry tomorrow I'll post some pictures taken in daylight for a second opinion.

Regards Shaun.  

• Like 3

Hi Tony . Thanks for checking in.

Goathland is now booked to appear at the local show this year! Yay!!    Now all I have to do is finish some signals and work out how to get it all in my truck.

Progress in the kitchen has been excellent, so hopefully some modeling time will be available.

Regards Shaun

Good news that your showing our American Cousins what a REAL model railway should look like, hahahha, well done Shaun.

Were off to Wales today for a 10 day break and to get Dee and the Dogs away from the BL**DY Fireworks that started around here 3 weekes ago.

Catch up again soon.

• Like 3

Hi Tony . Thanks for checking in.

Goathland is now booked to appear at the local show this year! Yay!!    Now all I have to do is finish some signals and work out how to get it all in my truck.

Progress in the kitchen has been excellent, so hopefully some modeling time will be available.

Regards Shaun

Excellent news. A layout worthy of being shown to the public. When you say local show, how far away is it?

• Like 1

Morning Shaun,

Pardon me for being a bit of a dunce at times, but the bank of switches on P.56 #1379 - did I miss something earlier, because I didn't spot any other reference to them? I wondered what they actuate, and are they only electrical switches, or do they have a mechanical function as well? Nosey because I haven't yet decided what method of point actuation to adopt!

Sorry to trouble you,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good news that your showing our American Cousins what a REAL model railway should look like, hahahha, well done Shaun.

Were off to Wales today for a 10 day break and to get Dee and the Dogs away from the BL**DY Fireworks that started around here 3 weekes ago.

Catch up again soon.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it.

Have a nice time in Wales, I always tell people from here not to miss Wales when they go to Europe. It's such a beautiful country.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Excellent news. A layout worthy of being shown to the public. When you say local show, how far away is it?

Hi Duncan.

It has been to the show before about 5 years ago. Medford Armory is about 30 miles so not too bad! Anywhere else would be at least 300!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning Shaun,

Pardon me for being a bit of a dunce at times, but the bank of switches on P.56 #1379 - did I miss something earlier, because I didn't spot any other reference to them? I wondered what they actuate, and are they only electrical switches, or do they have a mechanical function as well? Nosey because I haven't yet decided what method of point actuation to adopt!

Sorry to trouble you,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock.

Those would be for the new manually operated signals and uncoupling system mate! They're the cheap Ratio ones which need handling with care.

There are 2 links below which explain how the uncoupling system and ground signals were made. It all worked so well on Dunster that I had to up grade Goathland purely for the fun factor. Indeed I'll install it on the rest of Grim-Up-North, but I can't decide which side of Queensbury will be the operating side Haha. Infact I'm having trouble working out which of the three positions it should be done.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Shaun,

I'll be looking for photos from the show. I showed mine last weekend and had a great, though exhausting time. I can't wait to see some stills and video, of Goathland, Mate.

Yes I find it a bit exhausting too Clay. It wont stop me taking loads of pictures though!

Shaun,

Here's a shot from the show I took my stuff to last weekend. My daughter lives in Central Point, OR. If you post show details, I'll ask her to attend and take photos of Goathland to share.

Wonderful! I'll look forward to seeing her!! Small world huh?

Regards Shaun.

Edited: to reply to both posts!

Edit 2: I just found out that you can reply to two posts at once. In separate frames!!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Shaun,

Is that the "Rogue Valley Railroad Show at the Medford Armory? I find dates for years past, but nothing online for 1015.

Got details?

As far as I know it's this Thanksgiving weekend. Sat 27th and Sun 28th.

Bruce hasn't finished finalizing things yet, most people wont commit until last thing.

• RMweb Premium

You may remember back at the beginning of this year I built some stock for Queensbury. It was this stock which had the airbrushing yesterday.

It's supposed to be BR crimson. I looks a bit pinky to my eye but I'm happy with the finish. The jar of Railmatch paint must be 20 years old. I remember buying it from Scalerail in Eastbourne.

Opinions welcome on this...

The SR BG van. Parkside.

post-8964-0-66140200-1446316515.jpg

The 4 wheeled pigeon van a Chivers finelines kit.

post-8964-0-71404200-1446316488.jpg

6 wheeled LMS fish also Chivers.

post-8964-0-44188500-1446316499.jpg

The arctic. twin sides.

post-8964-0-00462800-1446316532_thumb.jpg

A day light close up showing what I wanted it to look like.

post-8964-0-51642200-1446316547.jpg

Here's two pics. of the kitchen progress. Drywall just needs sanding and the white laminate shells of the cubboards.

post-8964-0-07041200-1446316564.jpgpost-8964-0-05531100-1446316639.jpg

And lastly a picture of the latest acquisition from Hornby. Their lovely D16 seen here in the mid morning sun rounding the curve on Dunster.

post-8964-0-58111400-1446316661_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Evening Shaun,

Thanks for the earlier reply. I agree that there does seem to be a pink tinge to the paint finish, but the build certainly lives up to your normal standards!

The kitchen is coming along nicely, is the 'boss' happy?

Keep up the good work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock

I wonder what can be done about the pink. I know it faded but then it's still not the right shade. Perhaps some varnish and judicious weathering?

The boss is very happy. Choosing paint and planning. The insulation worked out very well. The whole house is warmer! I moved one of the windows and took down a wall which has brightened things up no end this also pleased SWMBO! He he.
There'll be few doors. Mostly drawers and pull outs on full extension silent runners, also the bosses idea. We don't plan on moving ever so it'll be great when we're older not having to dig about in the back of the cupboards!! I got a few novel ideas myself. All will be revealed :mosking:

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5

Well done mate, tough job keeping the girls happy! I remembered Joanna's birthday today for instance, but no feat of memory - Tesco started reminding me weeks ago with the Halloween merchandise!

Heavy weathering might indeed cover the colour - it would be a nuisance to have to strip and repainted them. Good luck with that,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Shaun

Superb finish on the airbrushing. I wonder if you could try a thin white/brown wash over one as an experiment and then some weathering?

We undertook a complete renovation of our kitchen last year (with some professional help with the cabinets and electrics) which was a mammoth job. But it has certainly been well worth the effort, both aesthetically and also functionally. You look like you are rounding the bend into the home straight now.

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi John.

That's not a bad idea. I was thinking of adding a touch of red to some varnish or a thin wash of gloss red.

There's three things to take into account. The paint is now fully dry and doesn't look too bad. The last batch of crimson stock I sprayed was done with a Railmatch aerosol and my camera tends to turn red shades a bit pink I've noticed!

Anyway I spent 3 hours painting all the under frames on those vans yesterday and hope to find some more time today to get all the rest of the gubbins back on along with some lettering!

There's 18 solid alder fronts to make first and all the drywall is ready for its final sanding! I'm at the fun stage and should be picking up the pace now.

Regards Shaun   

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A little loco conversion work going on here some of you might find interesting.

At least one of the vans got finished over the weekend too.

The ex LMS 6 wheel fish van. I have replaced the molded middle wheel arrangement with a new axel. The Romford wheels were removed from their axel and reamed out to a loose fit on the new one. A length of plastic tube has been placed in between  the wheels to maintain gauge.

post-8964-0-80438300-1447278769.jpg

post-8964-0-27223700-1447278826.jpg

post-8964-0-62099700-1447278842.jpg

One axel box cover was spliced off and the hole opened up to accept the over length axel. After painting the whole was assembled and the cover glued back in place and touched up with paint.

post-8964-0-70057900-1447278873_thumb.jpg

The fish branding is a second attempt. The first involving rub on type white woodland scenics transfers touched up with yellow pencil looked great until the HMRS numbers were added.

The second attempt involved taking individual letters from the wording from the HMRS BR coach sheet. These may be a little over sized but what the hell, it's such a small detail!

My finished van which I'm quite happy with, including the colour!

post-8964-0-99952600-1447278895_thumb.jpg

Here's another picture taken with custom setting on the camera next to a Bachmann coach. Not too far off.

post-8964-0-01029200-1447278910.jpg

Edit: Still looks pink!

Happy modeling, S'quatch.

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mate, back from the Hols and catching up, its looking very good mate.

Welcome back Andy. Trust you had a nice break in Wales. You're not missing much here mate.

Shaun,

Superb craftsmanship as always and I wouldn't worry about the colour - at least Barbie would be pleased!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks Jock.

Barbie would love my stupid camera, it turns all reds to pink!

Three shots of the completed pigeon van taken with my wife's pocket cannon in various lighting!!!

Bit of an experiment with the glazing on this one, I used E6000 applied with a cocktail stick to affix the 16 tiny parts.

Direct light...

post-8964-0-80643100-1447309689.jpg

indirect..

post-8964-0-01654000-1447309703.jpg

Flash.

post-8964-0-19272300-1447309714.jpg

Regards Shaun

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's show time!

Well next weekend anyhow. A state of panic and doom has set in here because I have six days to get things ready. All I've done so far is select some stock to take and tidy the trains away from Dunster.

The layout needs to go together in order to see that it still works with the fiddle yard the other side. There's no need to worry about the signals or uncoupling system due to the controls being on the viewing side. Those will need temporary plating over too. 

Some sorcery will be needed to conjure up some modeling time which reminds me I'll need to dig out Arther Weasleys old flying ford Anglia with Harry Potter and Ron in it. The kids love that stuff!

I'll try to find 10 minutes at the end of each day to log my progress but please don't hold your breath. 

Squatch. More like a headless chicken this evening.   

• Like 6

Couldn't resist this Jock after reading your comment on Andys thread.

Very clever work Shaun, the only worry is that people might think I'm 'Streaking'!! HaHaHa. Honestly folks, I haven't switched allegiance to those locos from the East of the country!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1