Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Hi Shaun.  When I came on at the top the page [previous page that is! Edited after seeing my post is on a new page! ], I was going to wish you a Happy New Year.  Better make that a Happier one from now on in..  We had our 90 odd year old ash tree chopped chain-sawn down to size last year (to the mere height of a cherry tree!)  - I counted the rings on one of the larger lumps down in the garden - older than I thought.  One less thing to worry about in stormy weather.

Your modelling is both superb and inspiring.  Keep it up and don't let that weather get you down.

Stay safe and warm.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

Take care Shaun,

Spring gets closer by the day and having no alternative to modelling must have it's up side - despite the reduced lighting.  The Oil lamp must be an opportunity to get some genuine smoke marks over the entrances to tunnels, bridges and engine sheds.  [Not to forget the gentle warping due to heat ageing of the bricks and mortar.]

Regards

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Today I need to get the shovel out because there's more snow forecast.

Luckily Mrs. S. has one of those all wheel drive Subaru's but half ripped a faring off on the snow reversing it, so we had to dig out the ground beneath the car to remove it. The oak came down where she usually parks it! 

post-8964-0-55155900-1484331037.jpg

Remember the pretty scene last time it snowed...

post-8964-0-53521600-1484331003.jpg

...not pretty now huh! This Oregon mountain ash is toast. It missed the bedroom by 5 feet. 

post-8964-0-76428800-1484330942.jpg

It's brother is savable but none the less lost 5 limbs.

post-8964-0-07957100-1484332440.jpg

All the deer can be found under cedar trees eating exposed grass and taking shelter!

post-8964-0-39548000-1484332408.jpg

There's more trees down in the creek but I haven't been down there with the camera yet. Later. 

Squatch. Suiting up and oiling his chain saw...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having woke up rather sore from shoveling snow most of the day on Friday I quite rightly decided to spend the day modeling yesterday.

4 of the new signals for Goathland are now ready for some paint.

The mechanisms are done, the tiny bulbs inserted and as much detail as I could manage without the final assembly. 

From left to right...Up outer home, Down starter and siding release arm.

post-8964-0-75552900-1484511982_thumb.jpg

They all have finials turned in the hand held cordless drill. This is nice and slow so as to not melt the plastic.

post-8964-0-13879800-1484512024.jpg

The D shaped safety loop ring  was bent up from soft beading wire and inserted into holes. It also acts as a stop for the arm!

post-8964-0-92871700-1484512036.jpg

Next I tackled the up junction signal.

This has 3x 1.5V grain of sand bulbs wired in series. Now only two wires are needed and the supply can be 4 - 4.5V.

The wires were cut short with the ends stripped and tinned. Then I soldered them together before adding two walkways from the Ratio LNER kit. 

post-8964-0-08613200-1484512098.jpg

There seemed to be quite a lot of light bleeding from under the lamps so I have stopped this up with tack. The bonus here is that the bulbs stay put but can still be removed if they fail!

post-8964-0-97462300-1484512056.jpg

Quite effective, I'm happy with the results. 

post-8964-0-30504900-1484512124.jpg

Squatch. Mojo firing on all 8 cylinders!!!

• Like 2

Having woke up rather sore from shoveling snow most of the day on Friday I quite rightly decided to spend the day modeling yesterday.

The mechanisms are done, the tiny bulbs inserted and as much detail as I could manage without the final assembly. 

attachicon.gifGoathland signal models (1).JPG

They all have finials turned in the hand held cordless drill. This is nice and slow so as to not melt the plastic.

attachicon.gifGoathland signal models (2).JPG

The D shaped safety loop ring  was bent up from soft beading wire and inserted into holes. It also acts as a stop for the arm!

attachicon.gifGoathland signal models (3).JPG

This has 3x 1.5V grain of sand bulbs wired in series. Now only two wires are needed and the supply can be 4 - 4.5V.

The wires were cut short with the ends stripped and tinned. Then I soldered them together before adding two walkways from the Ratio LNER kit. 

attachicon.gifGoathland signal models (5).JPG

There seemed to be quite a lot of light bleeding from under the lamps so I have stopped this up with tack. The bonus here is that the bulbs stay put but can still be removed if they fail!

attachicon.gifGoathland signal models (4).JPG

attachicon.gifGoathland signal models (6).JPG

Goodness me Shaun, they look fantastic mate, your modelling standards are superb. Well done.

• Like 1

G'day Gents

Here's one of the trees that had branches break during our last storm (the branch is about 20' long) all cut up now, but I can't reach the top one, even with a pole saw (chainsaw on a stick)

manna

post-19471-0-90413400-1484515487_thumb.jpg

Edited by manna
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifGoathland signal models (1).JPG

attachicon.gifGoathland signal models (2).JPG

attachicon.gifGoathland signal models (3).JPG

attachicon.gifGoathland signal models (5).JPG

attachicon.gifGoathland signal models (4).JPG

attachicon.gifGoathland signal models (6).JPG

I'm a little surprised you're using actual bulbs Shaun - any particular reason you didn't go with LED's?

• RMweb Premium

Goodness me Shaun, they look fantastic mate, your modelling standards are superb. Well done.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Andy. They're not at all accurate but thanks. Just wish it would go quicker, I can't wait to run the layout with working signals! 

The next one is almost finished, just some small details to do.

The lenses were masked with the tacky stuff before a spray coat of white primer which dried fast so I put the arm back on and picked out the details in black, some of it with a fine marker e.g. the spectacle plate!

post-8964-0-32350600-1484549969.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents

Here's one of the trees that had branches break during our last storm (the branch is about 20' long) all cut up now, but I can't reach the top one, even with a pole saw (chainsaw on a stick)

manna

We've been discussing how to get the high stuff down this afternoon. Lasso and a truck!

There is a huge madrone that has snapped at a height of about 35feet down by the creek. It took out a yew and has left a gaping hole in the canopy.   Good fire wood though!     

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm a little surprised you're using actual bulbs Shaun - any particular reason you didn't go with LED's?

Good question Scot. It would have been the better option!

I do have some very small LEDs. Obtaining a sensibly priced soldering iron to do the job however has proved beyond my logic, besides my skills with such tools take a lot to be desired!!.   

The 12V bulbs from Model Power that I used on Dunsters signals have all lasted 8 years and this might have something to do with the lower voltage supply I provided. The prototypes were dim at best. 

regards Shaun

• Like 4

Good question Scot. It would have been the better option!

I do have some very small LEDs. Obtaining a sensibly priced soldering iron to do the job however has proved beyond my logic, besides my skills with such tools take a lot to be desired!!.   

The 12V bulbs from Model Power that I used on Dunsters signals have all lasted 8 years and this might have something to do with the lower voltage supply I provided. The prototypes were dim at best. 

regards Shaun

Ah, yes, the black art of soldering - and even darker art of soldering really small stuff....  :superstition:   

The reason I asked was that grain of wheat, and grain of rice bulbs and I never got on, and seemed to have very limited lifespans (which could, of course, have been due to a ropey Hornby transformer providing DC power, all those years ago - I agree your "less is more" theory run true with their lifespan ).  As a result, since LEDs became available in the various temperatures of white, and in small sizes, I've never gone back to them.

Good to see you have a solution that works for you. :good:

Cheers,

Scott

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah, yes, the black art of soldering - and even darker art of soldering really small stuff....  :superstition:   

The reason I asked was that grain of wheat, and grain of rice bulbs and I never got on, and seemed to have very limited lifespans (which could, of course, have been due to a ropey Hornby transformer providing DC power, all those years ago - I agree your "less is more" theory run true with their lifespan ).  As a result, since LEDs became available in the various temperatures of white, and in small sizes, I've never gone back to them.

Good to see you have a solution that works for you. :good:

Cheers,

Scott

Incidentally Scott, the 12V model Power grain of sand bulbs disappeared from the market a while back so I looked at going back to LEDs as I know they are produced in a tiny bulb shape.

This also proved beyond my Scrooge sized budget thus I resorted to using Miniatronics 1.5V bulbs and  drilling out the Ratio lamps with 1.2, 1, & 0.5mm bits!! 

Squatch Munching chocolate at 4am (don't ask).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just had to brave the sub zero temperatures to see how they look on the layout.

The up starter.

post-8964-0-87523200-1484674483.jpg

Siding release post.

post-8964-0-67290200-1484674498_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-05767300-1484674510.jpg

post-8964-0-16202200-1484675043.jpg

Down starter. Vast improvement over the LMS one I had there.

post-8964-0-56075000-1484674528_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-86063200-1484674540_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-43182000-1484675032.jpg

And the controls. Hehe.

post-8964-0-50019300-1484674556.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful as usual, Shaun.

Please put me down for a set. When should I expect them to ship?

-Clay

Let me know your requirements  and I'll give you a quote Clay. Depending on how many you want and the complexity it could take months!!!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's all gone titsup here. All the modeling time is being sucked up by other things such as the weather. In town there's not any snow. Anywhere. Here however it's melting while the rain has set in presenting us with all sorts of run off problems.

My friend is helping me construct a wood stove chimney for my barn so that's taking priority.

Meanwhile whilst eating chocolate first thing I was reading Andy's BV thread and something he mentioned about putting on his heater triggered the old grey matter. As the sugar kicked in I realized that if I'm going to be able to use the wood stove at last then I can take Queensbury back up to the barn and get cracking on it! Then again I'll have to concoct a good excuse why  the house renovations aren't getting done.  

The 3 arm signal is nearing completion but has also hit a snag. The rattle can of white primer I've been using for years finally ran out so I started a new one. The paint wasn't quite the same and has covered the model in nasty thick runny goo That plugged up all the detail and melted some small parts. Not a total disaster but will take some extra work to clean up the worst and fix a few problems. When it's done I'm planning on doing a step-by-step with loads of pics.

Squatch, time to do away with the Christmas hat.  

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Aaaaaargh!

It's horrible! I'd heard that the Sasquatch was a terrible monster, but never imagined anything so horrendous!

:jester:

Nice to see you mate :)

Hope things settle down for you a bit, and look forward to seeing Queensbury progress.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 3