Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

If it gets any hotter here I wont need a glue gun! Either that or they'll melt together  into one humongous great floppy mass that'll be no good to anybody! :O

The MODS will be after you soon matey, hahah. :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Damn flip top! Thanks Al. Didn't seem to get any joy though. Incredible how young they are. I was going to put "I'm the face" but didn't see it on Youtube. It doesn't get any more MOD than that! 

Better off messing about with glue brushes n stuff!

The capping stones were carved from strips of foam board with the paper pulled off and PVAd to the tops of the walls. A quick daub with the acrylics, more PVA, some weeds and general jungle growth.  All the loose stuff is sucked up with a fine cloth inserted in the shop-vac nozzle. This all goes into the forest floor tub!

post-8964-0-59964600-1501725891.jpg

post-8964-0-39631500-1501725912_thumb.jpg

Am quite happy with the scribed stonework and will aim at perfecting the technique on Queensbury. There's some substantial wing walls and that viaduct which can be copied closely enough. I'm quite amped up to get going on it.    

post-8964-0-18635300-1501725927_thumb.jpg

Regards Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Your stonework is utterly sublime. I love it so much. So quick to produce too!

Thanks  Freebs.

Did you see the buildings I made for Crowcombe pages 7 and 8 here

The project is on hold until I get the trains running on this layout!

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Am itching to make buildings too. It's my favorite thing to model! This scenic stuff seems to be dragging on somewhat.

I spent most of yesterday afternoon making this fence.

Cocktail sticks were held on some duck tape while I cut four grooves with the razor saw. I dipped soaked them in some weather it. This was a mistake. Next time I'll weather them first and then cut the grooves as the moisture swelled the wood closing the grooves up.

post-8964-0-47438400-1501945932.jpg

Using a straight edge, spacer and veneer gauge I poked them into the foam scenery. 

post-8964-0-30209800-1501945950.jpg

With the finest beading wire out there, I added the wires. The lowest one was tricky to do but they got easier the further up the posts I went. Unseen in my pictures I added angle braces at the corners.

post-8964-0-27385400-1501945971_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-51799200-1501945987_thumb.jpg

Then I applied more grass and used up the rest of the trees I made. It's really taking shape.

Today I'll make another 50 trees and finish the ground cover.

post-8964-0-79113000-1501946003_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-99430600-1501946020_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-43329900-1501946043_thumb.jpg

Lastly some accidental modeling. The holder foam for tree production looks like Nandalf Wetwang

"Come master hobitses, Golom knows the way. Yes, They's not following us through there. No"

post-8964-0-96114400-1501946192_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Shaun, what a cracking job you have made on the fencing and landscaping, it's one of those jobs that you keep putting off, but if you leave it till later it's a real problem to install. Just don't stick cherries or bits of cheese on the ends of your cocktail sticks. All the best Adrian.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Shaun, what a cracking job you have made on the fencing and landscaping, it's one of those jobs that you keep putting off, but if you leave it till later it's a real problem to install. Just don't stick cherries or bits of cheese on the ends of your cocktail sticks. All the best Adrian.

Thanks Adrian mate! Working with what's to hand is one of those lessons I picked up from you believe it or not. When you see the landscaping during the early stages, it resembles the moon from "A Grand Day Out"  (Wallace & Gromit). So it's kind of a small cocktail stick and a huge chunk of cheddar!!!    :O

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Life has taken a few sharp turns recently but I'm not going to bore you with the details.

Having had to reorganize my time in the process some has been set aside each day for railways.
With a clear head, despite all the smoke, I got stuck into Queensbury.
The landscaping was filled where needed, tidied up and given a good thick coat of that paint. It needed darkening up some what and I'm very happy with the results.

post-8964-0-08910700-1505017452_thumb.jpg

Not happy with the way I did the landscaping behind the Halifax-Kieghley platform the whole lot got quite literary punched out.
post-8964-0-02413900-1505017370_thumb.jpg

More foam insulation was cut to fit and hot glued in placed.

post-8964-0-43999300-1505017410_thumb.jpg

The bridal path subway was installed and the platform bases cut away, these will be constructed of wood a-la prototype.

post-8964-0-66557700-1505017429_thumb.jpg

I got the cork underlay down...and mixed up some PVA, fine sand and tarmac paint for the roads.

post-8964-0-31084400-1505017469_thumb.jpg

Today (you'll like this bit Mana) some track was laid. The diamond has been cut short at the toe end and splayed apart at the lead out end.
post-8964-0-20458800-1505017551_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-17452200-1505017568_thumb.jpg

Here's K1 62032 on Goathland's viaduct because no post would not be complete without at least one train.

post-8964-0-73138200-1505017588_thumb.jpg

Good luck with your modeling. Shaun. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looks awesome, Shaun!

One heads up - you've missed one of your rail joiners on the splayed end of the diamond, next to the frog.  That will be a bear to deal with if you don't remedy at this point.

Cheers

Scott

Thanks Scott. Will look into that! Those insulating joiners are not easy to see!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's that time of year when all I want to do is modeling but there's just too much other stuff to do including a holiday at the coast much garden work and preparing for winter. I'm also working two jobs at the moment but it wont last and the colder days are fast approaching.

Anyway some more track work has been done. Nothing special, just hacking up brand new Peco turnouts.

Not happy with the layout of the two sidings I recalled something I read on RMweb about bending turnouts.

post-8964-0-40109500-1508345446_thumb.jpg

Really all that's needed is the courage to take one out of the packaging and get on with it. Small chunks of webbing are cut away from between the sleepers on the inside of the curve and cuts made on the outside. I staggered the cuts as this just seemed to be a good idea for some reason.

post-8964-0-09206200-1508345486_thumb.jpg

Then I simply and gently bent the point. So easy and no more than a minutes work! If only I could bend those diamond crossings.

post-8964-0-64447000-1508345475_thumb.jpg

Much better.

post-8964-0-45365000-1508345461_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know of a suppler of custom built point work?

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful work.

See topic  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84892-bending-proprietary-turnouts/

Includes procedure and photos for bending diamond crossings.

Thanks Clay. That is the article I remember reading. I had altered the diamond at the south end junction (the one with the two Y turnouts) because it was do-able however the other two are opposing curves which I don't think is possible!

post-8964-0-24345800-1508349644.jpg

I'll revisit the problem to see if there is any possibility of modification. Building such an item is most likely way beyond my skills.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Shaun, good to see you back mate, I hope the break did you both good, and it looks like your on the right track again now, :no:  :no:  :no: haha.

All the best.

Hi Andy.

The break did us both good, cleared our heads and lungs from all that smoke. Didn't get any pictures of any trains only this railroad trestle bridge.

post-8964-0-46783100-1508356504_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Procrastination over the diamond crossing problem has caused a huge headache.

What I have come up with is to chop a peco long crossing into three unequal parts and swap them about end to end. This would then involve cutting sleepers and bending the parts to fit back together.

Question is do I have the guts to go chopping up a brand new shinny turnout.

It probably wont work and if it did would trains be able to negotiate the resultant bodge up with any success.

post-8964-0-89548900-1508992692_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-07022600-1508992711_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-83360800-1508992725_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-06515600-1508992747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

Crikey mate, Major Surgery indeed, I wouldn't do it, but then you've done a lot that I wouldn't do, so if YOU think it can be done and would still WORK afterwards then you need to give it a go. Cost wise, it's no different to starting a project, then changing your mind as to what you want, it would just hurt more seeing a nice shiny X going in the bin.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Sas,

I'm a little bemused in terms of what and where you are trying to achieve.  I get the idea that you want a cross-over and that an amount of curve is required to be built in.  I seem to be able to see that the Peco cross-over has some curve built into one end [i did look rather silly, kneeling on the floor by the computer monitor, squinting along the cross-over from the side!!  :O ]  Perhaps that's more in the imagination than reality.   :scratchhead:   Two things occur, the first is to ask if the cross-over can't be bent, as in the latter part of the thread, linked to in post #2017 and the second, is to ask if the cuts proposed could be made slightly to the right of those indicated in the modified picture collages you posted. [such that they are both cut to the right hand side of the gaps between the sleepers, indicated by the red lines on the pictures - which would make the left side wider and the right hand side smaller]

I'm probably missing the whole point of the operation here, so am prepared to go sit at the front of the class again, and fold a large piece of paper into a cone to be placed on the bonce, labelled with a capital "D".  :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Kind regards

J

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Crikey mate, Major Surgery indeed, I wouldn't do it, but then you've done a lot that I wouldn't do, so if YOU think it can be done and would still WORK afterwards then you need to give it a go. Cost wise, it's no different to starting a project, then changing your mind as to what you want, it would just hurt more seeing a nice shiny X going in the bin.

You're right of course Andy. It would be more than worth it if it works in terms of fame for pioneering such modeling and could pave the way for a whole load of more realistic layouts.

I've been bending more point work last night BTW and don't think I'll ever lay points straight out of the box ever again!

Hi Sas,

I'm a little bemused in terms of what and where you are trying to achieve.  I get the idea that you want a cross-over and that an amount of curve is required to be built in.  I seem to be able to see that the Peco cross-over has some curve built into one end [i did look rather silly, kneeling on the floor by the computer monitor, squinting along the cross-over from the side!!  :O ]  Perhaps that's more in the imagination than reality.   :scratchhead:   Two things occur, the first is to ask if the cross-over can't be bent, as in the latter part of the thread, linked to in post #2017 and the second, is to ask if the cuts proposed could be made slightly to the right of those indicated in the modified picture collages you posted. [such that they are both cut to the right hand side of the gaps between the sleepers, indicated by the red lines on the pictures - which would make the left side wider and the right hand side smaller]

I'm probably missing the whole point of the operation here, so am prepared to go sit at the front of the class again, and fold a large piece of paper into a cone to be placed on the bonce, labelled with a capital "D".  :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Kind regards

J

No white pointy hat J. It's complicated!

Here's a quick sketch showing what I'm on about.

post-8964-0-73382300-1509030029_thumb.png

The middle shows what is possible with bending and is suitable for use on a curve. Right shows what I need to do. The diamond has migrated north so to speak. (Funny this should happen in paint when I bent the lines) It clearly illustrates what must be done in order to produce an opposing diamond!

The resultant procedure wont be perfect because the frogs and diamond will still be straight but the trains should maintain a nice flow across it instead of snaking.

If you look closely there are gaps betwixt the second, third & fourth sleepers where I have indeed bent the lead out tracks already. The lead in end has been cut short also. Hope your knees aren't too sore mate!

Here's the result of the bending.

post-8964-0-06393200-1509031194_thumb.jpg

The East junction.

post-8964-0-56379400-1509031267_thumb.jpg

The station area with the buildings in place to help with perspective...

post-8964-0-27995500-1509031282_thumb.jpg

...and a train on what will be the viaduct. 

post-8964-0-93863600-1509031300_thumb.jpg

Regards Shaun. Now drinking cold coffee!!!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

Aah, yes all very clear now, thank you.  Looking at the rails in situ, it strikes me that:-

a.  it might be a useful technique for the roundy-roundy that I have been plotting [and doing so very little towards], so many thanks for that. :paint: ........... now  .....   :scratchhead:.......

b.  there is very little spare track on the bits beyond each end of the diamond.  :O

c.  the geometry of the crossover, with a curve in each direction, would be quite common and I'm surprised that Peco [or anyone else for that matter] hasn't picked up on it and produced a cross-over with Streamline type flex at the ends.  [i do appreciate that the implication of this would be either making the sleepers out of their 2 types of plastic, or out of the Setrack plastic to hold the diamond, but with the side webs between the sleepers cut alternately.  However, they would only need to make one design to suit almost all curve directions.]

Regards and thanks again.

J

My brain hurts   ..................................................................     but the knees are ok.  :jester:

• Like 1