Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Hi Shaun,

Keeping the model railway Mojo is challenging.

I've been into this hobby for 40 years and I still haven't got near finishing a layout or anything much at all, but it is great fun and keeps the mind active.

I am lucky that my model railway group through their friendship makes it easier to keep the mojo going at various levels of intensity.

The other thing I remind myself is how privileged we are to have this hobby. It gives leisure time a bit of purpose.

Have a break and relax, after 95 pages of RM Web, you deserve it.

Regards

Rodney

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Keep your head up, Shaun.

I can sympathise 100% with the ebb and flow of mojo.

My less-than-revelatory advice is that sometimes there is not a great deal you can do to kick start it, and trying to force yourself to re-start before you are ready is not always useful.

A change in modelling focus works for me - switch tasks for a month or so - or break up the life sapping activities into small bites.

Try browsing RMWeb for inspiration - there's some pretty special stuff out there on here.

We will be here waiting when you get back in the saddle.

Regards

Scott

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Shaun, My Mojo goes up and down, in and out, but luckily with varying projects I usually find it lurking somewhere in TOPS. 

One day soon you will go to bed, and half way through the night wake up with an idea, then cant get back to sleep because you'll want to get up and get started on it.

All the best my friend, and I hope it returns soon, as your project is inspirational to many of us mere mortals that follow your exploits.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy P mentioning TOPS suggests to me that maybe you should move to the UK and buy Andy's house.

If acquiring TOPS does not get your mojo going I am at a loss what to else to suggest.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

WOW. Thank you guys!!

Wasn't expecting so many replies, very encouraging ones at that! 

Quite the opposite to families reaction when I get a bit down in the dumps. "What's the matter with you" "Pull yourself together", "Not another day chillin on the couch"

Truth is that my eyesight has got a lot worse, (Which I did something about by buying various pairs of specs and a decent modeling lamp) and my hands loose their dexterity during cold weather. Those two factors send the old mojo into hiding.

I did however pull out a small drawer of half finished rolling stock and did some work over the festive period but just don't feel like tackling the weathering to finish them off.

One other thing getting me down is the problem of supplying more power to the garage to enable a suitable heater to be installed (although this is nothing compared to the problems of installing a much needed new wood stove in the house, (Bogie seems to have an easier solution)). How I miss North Sea Gas!

Mrs. Squatch puts it all down to the winter blues and recons most people around here spend 3 months of the winter not doing much at all. Why is she always right? Today I'm supposed to be cutting firewood to start a fire in the woodwork shop where new doors for the living room are in progress but I just don;t seem to be able to wrench myself away from the fliptop, and teapot.

Regards Shaun.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

It’s easier for us to be sympathetic - we don’t have to put up with you!  :-)

Unfortunately I have to agree with Mrs S over the cold and dark lack of sunlight etc.  I’m always worst in February at the end of winter (& Mrs 5Bar has to put up with me!).

As others have said, let’s hope spring does it’s usual raising of the spirit.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hope is in the air!!  :dance_mini: :dance_mini: :dance_mini:

Spring is definitely on the way.  I had to walk round to the local Co-op today {remember them, Shaun?}.....  anyway, it was just after 17.00.....   and it was light all the way there and all the way back.  We haven't seen that for many a month, fantastic, because the process speeds up dramatically from now on.  3 minutes extra today, 5 minutes tomorrow, 8 minutes extra the next day, 12 minutes the next day and so on rapidly bringing on the approach to Summer days.  Yeahhh!!!

Mrs S is dead-on with the winter Blues, particularly in continental areas like your place.  Something to do with the production of vitamin D, which slows down dramatically with the lessening of ambient sunshine.  Fortunately plentiful supplies of the golden duster in the sky are just round the corner.

The hands are shared with a few of the frequent visitors here.....  even managing to slop the occasional drop of wine or G&T, disgraceful waste!  I suspect you will have accumulated a few items to lean the base of the hands on and some mechanical 'hold-its' to keep the bits still, like the rest of us, too.  I solder with the items clamped and one hand on the iron, with the other wrapped round the first - that way the Zigs on the right are {mainly} cancelled by the Zags on the left.    It doesn't actually improve the agricultural nature of the resulting solder, just splashes less silver metallic decoration on the surroundings.

Apparently the best of athletes take a strategic rest, to allow the mind and body to recuperate properly, the same applies to the rest of us, too.  Enjoy the break and keep posting your knowledge to your many friends, your experience is much appreciated.

I rest my case with the following observation on our relative circumstances.  You are more fortunate than those of us on this side of the Pond, in that we have just pi**ed off the Lords of the EU and have to rely on an Etonian chump, whereas you have that Whig to keep you all safe.....

Best wishes

Julian

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Julian

Don't worry there's a daily dose vitamin D tablets and B12. I'm on my second bottle of scotch so far this winter not to mention the Lagunitas little Sumpin ales.

We're doing our best with salads but the bacon sarnies seem to be more important. The winter weather doesn't help matters on the diet front. The last of the snow melted yesterday and we're forecast temperatures in the upper 50sF by the end of the week. Hopefully I might tackle some more ballasting.

I'm no athlete but a good romp to the top of the mountain should blow the cobwebs out having had more than enough rest.

As for the Whig keeping anyone safe... you are joking right???

Regards Shaun.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Shaun

Absolute opposite here in Oz, Far to much Vitamin D, and a 100f + in the shed, got the Mojo, but can't get out to the shed to use it. Grrrrr

manna

How's it going Mana

Can't you get yourself a little air conditioner and an air purifier  mate.

I do hope you're not affected by the fires BTW. That's terrifying nightmare stuff.:(

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Like you, my layout is in a shed. During the winter I tend to lack the enthusiasm to go to it, despite the fact it is well insulated and has heating. To be honest I am itching to get back out there, but for now, I build some of the structures I will need later in the build. Still haven't got the mojo to build rolling stock, suppose I need to be able to run it for that. Oh well, spring is around the corner.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

How's it going Mana

Can't you get yourself a little air conditioner and an air purifier  mate.

I do hope you're not affected by the fires BTW. That's terrifying nightmare stuff.:(

G'Day Shaun

I've got an AC in the layout area, but the wife has banished my workbench to the shed, (to much dust) and that's in the main shed, which isn't air conned. I have a tiny workbench in with the layout, but it's to small to do much other than clean wheels or change brushes.

Bush fires are a long way away, so fairly safe, nowhere is truly safe in a Ozzie summer.

To help with you mojo, a cut down B12, on an old L1 chassis, so now a D16, about to depart Edgware. Made this years ago, sits in it's box most of the time.

manna

DSCF4480.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Shaun,

Good to see you a little more positive.  Sometimes I find it difficult, (code for cannot be bothered), to go upstairs to get what I need, but you have to go outside and battle through six foot of snow and avoid being eaten by cougars/ bears and goodness knows what else.

Maybe next year you could bring an armful of small different projects in as the snow begins to fall to last you through the winter.

Still, if the snow is melting then hopefully the mojo for life, work, fixing things in the house will return and then maybe for modelling before the heat of the summer comes.

All the best,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Shaun,

You may remember I have a few Harry Potter-themed modules including both Hogwarts and Hogsmeade Station. I find that being a member of a modular club allows me to challenge myself by trying very different themes in a 4' by 2' space. For example, maybe you always wanted to model a tropical beach or a haunted cathedral ruin, or maybe Lawrence of Arabia's attack on a train, or something very, very different. Modular clubs let me pursue those impulses and helps refresh my mojo. If I was modeling a single layout and a single theme for a period of years, I don't know where my mojo would be. 

17855406_1867259753542750_4457795917732100320_o.jpg

A4_Mallard.jpg

Hogsmeade_Station reduced.jpg

School reduced.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun, suck one of these twice a day after meals, do not take more than the stated dose or you will end up like Andy P with more Mojo than you know what to do with.

All the best Adrian.

mojo 2.JPG

Numpties used to be on sale in Edinburgh, possibly still are.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Shaun,

Good to see you a little more positive.  Sometimes I find it difficult, (code for cannot be bothered), to go upstairs to get what I need, but you have to go outside and battle through six foot of snow and avoid being eaten by cougars/ bears and goodness knows what else.

Maybe next year you could bring an armful of small different projects in as the snow begins to fall to last you through the winter.

Still, if the snow is melting then hopefully the mojo for life, work, fixing things in the house will return and then maybe for modelling before the heat of the summer comes.

All the best,

Chris

Hi Chris.

This really made me laugh.

I do have a little cupboard full of modeling stuff and projects in the house. Yet find it difficult to just go over there and open the door let alone go upstairs or outside through any snow or worry about the wild life. There's even a cutting mat on the table with a half finished scratch built hopper sitting there but without any mojo it's like going to the fun fair while it's shut.

The snow is great the day you wake up to it, my dogs love it too and will play chase in it.  I usually end up hiking up the mountain with them. This year we had 3 days of snow ending up with about 10" in total not as much as in previous years. After a few days it starts looking depressing and makes a hell of a mess in the woods which I still need to clear up.

A bear was hanging around the neighborhood about two weeks ago and did eat the last dozen apples on the tree just outside our bedroom before the dogs got wind of him and scared him off. We have had many cougar sightings recently and I doubt one would decided to make a meal of me because of the lack of mojo!!

The mojo for other non hobby stuff is still flowing nicely however. We went on a 6 mile walk this morning and I'm just off to the woodwork shop to cut 36 tenons and fit them to the 36 mortises I cut yesterday.   

Having said all that. there is a glimmer of hope. Last night the modeling mojo paid me a visit and we sat down and weathered some hoppers.

Wooden.JPG.761437ffea4de030982f3a70f52b0cd1.JPG

A pair of wooden types.

668459220_Hurstnielson.JPG.ca06cf1628a8da4295486b9fe171820f.JPG 

A Parkside kit of the Hurst Nelson steel kind.

met-cam.JPG.e2e45232d487f34b201c31dd31f201d1.JPG

Kit bashed Parkside Metro Cammell sort. Not entirely accurate but adds variety.

1930782248_charlesroberts.JPG.43ea5c30b7b8934fe88a4fb8811b321a.JPG

Lastly a detailed Dapol model of the Charles Roberts design with batter plates and utilizing brake gear spares from the Parkside kits. (Brake shoes on other side). This one has a light weathering applied because it will be the newest vehicle in the rake.

All have BB pellets glued in for weight and coal loads made from foam board, black roofing sealant dipped in model coal.

DSCF0733.JPG.2b2aa94e0734b5b3ce876ed70abf0f65.JPG

Three more are planned, one more Dapol, another 20Ton wooden type with unpainted timber and a scratch built smaller 13Ton dia.193 also in wooden finish. 

Thank you to you all for helping return my mojo.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Too cold to work in my barn this morning Mrs. Sasquatch said "Why not take a day off and do some modeling". Not one to argue I did just that. First I went to the basement and unlocked the large trunk where Mojo is now kept hostage and together we tackled the next hopper wagon.

LNER 8plank 13Ton coal hopper to diagram193. is to be found, drawing and all in Peter Tatlows LNER wagons Vol.4A on page 82.

My model follows the tried and tested method of rivet punched styrene laminated together with other bits found in various scrap boxes.

Just needs couplings which were left off for photography and will be added after a coat of primer.

1835122835_LNERdia.19313Thopper(3).JPG.3218c320c94cc3adab394fde95ef5792.JPG

1779826499_LNERdia.19313Thopper(2).JPG.d881e1af1302662d9124b1237a2300d7.JPG

1039251710_LNERdia.19313Thopper(1).JPG.637e37f4164da52f9a0d17d7672e0c97.JPG

489509552_LNERdia.19313Thopper(4).JPG.38a53ab4a67a6ca03512197137ce75e9.JPG

Happy modeling. Squatch.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

A couple more hours work this evening applying some paint and adding the load.

Next time I will just spray this type of wagon black and just pick out the wood colour rather than pick out all that black iron work.

I'll get some lettering on it and weather it in the morning.

LNER dia.193 13T hopper 4.JPG

• Like 10