Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Now you have made me want to watch Zulu!

Yes on a hill. Half of that hill goes over a tunnel and already has the abbey on top. The castle will be on the lower slope in the trees with a walled road in front and the railway emerging from behind.  The whole idea was conceived is to hide a scissor crossing. the railway will continue on an embankment and cross on a bridge over the road and both will proceed into a town.

Untitled.png.de6611b34281a425c7d7f2f08862f78a.png

Regards Shaun

You are very close to the Fort and cathedral at Old Sarum, {used to the the centre of the kingdom, 1100 ish}  It had both castle and cathedral on site which had command over many miles of the surrounding country.  Well worth a Google maps satellite view.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Next step is to weather the insides. The sections can be assembled into three bigger sections and have the corners work on before the outside gets weathered.

1538673948_castlemoss.JPG.8d20b987c2e71a3ce1b16cd4341ace58.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Brilliant work Shawn 

The thickness of castle walls is unbelievable. A tower of Pontefract castle is bisected by North Baileygate near our house the wall must be 6ft thick. It is visable from google maps

Hi Simon and thanks!

I took a google earth tour around Pontefract Castle. Looks like a great place to live. Most of Yorkshire would be actually. Back in the day my scooter club were great friends with with a club in and around Wakefield, Normanton and Castleford. But I.ve never been to Pontefract. Looked like I was missing out!

As for the thickness of castle walls, it makes you wonder what they were so afraid of.

Regards Shaun. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago my good lady with her music group Nachtanz, went to ponte castle to play medieval music at the Liquorice Fair. They had lots of liquorice based treats to try including ...liquorice beer. It was very nice but very strong! During the day they had the underground cells and rooms open in the Castle. Impressive place!

Baz

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Barry O said:

A few years ago my good lady with her music group Nachtanz, went to ponte castle to play medieval music at the Liquorice Fair. They had lots of liquorice based treats to try including ...liquorice beer. It was very nice but very strong! During the day they had the underground cells and rooms open in the Castle. Impressive place!

Baz

I once dated a girl from Bad Dürkheim. (Very expensive affair) One evening she took me to a classical music concert at the schloss in Heidelberg. Unforgettable date! Can't say I've ever tried liquorice beer though. And that's saying something.

It's all got totally weird here. Lovely warm spring St Paddy's day and unbeknown to me the clocks sprang forwards  an hour already. So I've been living in a time warp since Saturday!     Was working on the next base board for GUN in my barn but got a bit too buzzed from Guinness and have had to retire to the dinning table to return to weathering that castle. I built the broken arches for the dungeon first thing, so am going to add all the algae and moss to that, pictures when it's done

Regards Shaun. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

All that is left of the dungeon (if you can call it that) is the lower stone arch sections. Making this involved carving out one long section and slicing it into 6mm segments. These were glued onto an L section between 8mm chunks. I don't know why I bothered really, it will never be seen unless you look deep down inside!

1607454565_castleweathering(1).JPG.a548e3e91526740eec49ce960f7734e1.JPG

Getting the mossy greens looking right has been a lesson in lighting!

978877423_castleweathering(3).JPG.476eb2d73a9752c1c2101a604a2e401a.JPG

2001461867_castleweathering(4).JPG.4f23e59fff3a150b57272338e1620816.JPG

The spiral stone staircase hasn't come out too bad...

2082632473_castleweathering(2).JPG.86cf42f87373840775c98b4f72a230f3.JPG

Thought a picture of the colours and pallet might be worth posting too.

123037343_castleweathering(5).JPG.9c2f403c2e26b21add7771ce0225ab94.JPG

Hope that you are well and still finding this interesting.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

When you first started your 'Castle' I thought it was for Bradford Exchange !!

manna

Hi Manna.

The plan is to build the base boards for the far wall of the garage. This is a 19 foot sweeping 4 track curved mainline that starts behind the castle where the lines converge from Goathland and the four  track passing loop storage sidings behind it. I then intend to do the scenics on Queensbury and then the 7 buildings for exchange (There's not any scenics there!) . To say all that will get done this year is a bit over optimistic  but you never know I might surprise you. Refraining from being a butterfly modeler is the biggest challenge!

Regards Shaun

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, edward66 said:

Going back to Baz's topic on Pontefract and liquorice I once tried liquorice ice cream. It was horrible!

I tried it once, and thought it was delicious (as did several of my dining companions).  Unfortunately, it wasn't available next time we visited that restaurant.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oregon's favorite Ice cream brand Umpqua do a black Liquorice flavor. It's quite good and turns your tongue black! Note American English is Licorice!! Didn't know that.

https://umpquadairy.com/our-products/scoop-shop-offerings/licorice-3-gallon/

Edited by Sasquatch
to add note
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not too much going on modeling wise here at present, Bobo has sprained his front right paw catching frisbees and requires lots of attention. (He's just working it really).

1876843047_GUNupdate(1).JPG.f4de14b94370bf3d8c5b4b095811686b.JPG

The castle still needs some more work but a start on the next baseboard is underway.

834074721_GUNupdate(2).JPG.331a03a1f8d4e0a036c0df348a81aec0.JPG

It's a bit complicated to say the least, it contains sharp curves, a scissor junction, 3 slight gradients , hillside, road, and the castle. Is 30" at one end 8' long and 11" at the narrow end. Having spent a whole afternoon just working out the gradients for  the mill town and two days figuring out the track arrangements progress is slow. Basically I need to run at 1in 80 up from the castle scissor junction to the main junction which will level for a distance of 2 feet. from there one line drops at 1 in 80 to the storage lines under Queensbury and the other continues up at about 1 in 90 to Queensbury east junction.

The up end of Goathland and the 4 passing loops behind are 5mm different in height.

2039144809_GUNupdate(4).JPG.c403f6df60c1b4f45e0a46e760826994.JPG

The back wall of the garage has been cleared and the garage spring cleaned in preparation.

568315956_GUNupdate(3).JPG.561d5b18360182083233e85e46445893.JPG

It looks quite neat in there now that I have done a bit of quick cabinetry cutting down the shelving and stereo console to fit under the back of the Bradford boards. All those sandwich meat tubs are full of woodland scenics etc. and I have 50 yards of Peco rail ready to lay the four track mainline a quarter way around the garage (or warehouse as Andy coined it).

713399370_GUNupdate(6).JPG.87822c4205f9998453aacdc23db68e58.JPG

No doubt life will inevitably interfere with my modelling plans in some way but If I can maintain my current enthusiasm and good health things should go relatively fast. We'll see though because having had to ditch the Shinohara points I'm now in need of Peco electrofrog replacements. Anyone????   

Trains have been moving on Goathland too albeit shunting coal trains.

1360363538_GUNupdate(5).JPG.7931e5ba15bdeb10a3612b91acbc8990.JPG

Hope that you are well

Squatch.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

G'Day Folks

Like the idea of a 4 track mainline. And a new bit of railway.

No train work for me at the moment, painting !, shed roof, carport, gates, pergola etc. But I'll get back to it one day.

manna

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Like the idea of a 4 track mainline. And a new bit of railway.

No train work for me at the moment, painting !, shed roof, carport, gates, pergola etc. But I'll get back to it one day.

manna

G'Day mate. Sounds like you got your hands full. Carport and pergola sound like fun! I always allow one day a week for hobbies to maintain sanity.1208251027_Madscientist.png.cb63d90e83fd623c4a05399512dd87ae.png

The idea of the mainline is to be able to hold slow trains at the junction while fast trains pass. It also will allow (with a single slip cheat) for four continuous loops. There wont be a station on the four track but I have plans to include a small two platform affair after the junction just as the line to Goathland dives into the tunnel.

The best bit is that provision has been made for a minimum of 18 inches of townscape behind it. Mills, mills and more mills:D canals, ginnels, trams and stone terraces galore!

Lots to do here this year too. The cedar for the deck must be planed, stained  and fixed. Laundry room cabinetry. Fences. A new built in dresser for the kitchen, new on-suite bathroom and a repaint of the garage.

Not spending money until this Covid thing has ended though.  4e12c5a5ab54f7fa4bd56a846335d5a3.png.256d98fabf6bbe91740f9f7bb6ccdab2.png

Regards Shaun

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

G'Day mate. Sounds like you got your hands full. Carport and pergola sound like fun! I always allow one day a week for hobbies to maintain sanity.1208251027_Madscientist.png.cb63d90e83fd623c4a05399512dd87ae.png

The idea of the mainline is to be able to hold slow trains at the junction while fast trains pass. It also will allow (with a single slip cheat) for four continuous loops. There wont be a station on the four track but I have plans to include a small two platform affair after the junction just as the line to Goathland dives into the tunnel.

The best bit is that provision has been made for a minimum of 18 inches of townscape behind it. Mills, mills and more mills:D canals, ginnels, trams and stone terraces galore!

Lots to do here this year too. The cedar for the deck must be planed, stained  and fixed. Laundry room cabinetry. Fences. A new built in dresser for the kitchen, new on-suite bathroom and a repaint of the garage.

Not spending money until this Covid thing has ended though.  4e12c5a5ab54f7fa4bd56a846335d5a3.png.256d98fabf6bbe91740f9f7bb6ccdab2.png

Regards Shaun

G'Day Shaun

You reckon I've got a lot to do !!!!!!! I just need to give the shed roof a second coat & paint the deck.

Had a few minutes in the train room, managed to finish drilling the axle holes for my first (0-8-2) scratchbuilt chassis and screw it together, wheels have been attached.

manna 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 26/03/2021 at 15:00, manna said:

G'Day Shaun

You reckon I've got a lot to do !!!!!!! I just need to give the shed roof a second coat & paint the deck.

Had a few minutes in the train room, managed to finish drilling the axle holes for my first (0-8-2) scratchbuilt chassis and screw it together, wheels have been attached.

manna 

Have you posted the 0-8-2 build on here Manna?

Regards Shaun

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Managed to get a few evenings in in the workshop building the next layout section.

First pic shows how I make curved board edges. The two triangular notches allow for good clamping!

294014958_newboard(1).JPG.dbe95d07845b6588e001847f5c5b874c.JPG

There is still a rib to be added at the near end. There will be a rail over road bridge here so I just might have to make two more ribs to replace the one which will allow for a skewed bridge arrangement.

1969184380_newboard(2).JPG.c6706ab3fdcb2dbd4319a298a183d48f.JPG

There are two levels. Top is track bed and the bottom will have a hill built up on it, into which I will set that castle.

289792290_newboard(3).JPG.e3602bb8301989e8edaf07a54811ecf8.JPG

The last pic also provides a glimpse of my scrap wood situation.

Incidentally all the old batteries on the older tools have been regenerated. Worth a look on youTube

Great having three cordless drills because I saved lots of time not hunting for and changing bits!

Enjoying the beautiful weather here. Squatch.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Some type disappeared from my last post.

I wanted to add that I personally wont try the above battery revival trick on lithium batteries on account of the highly volatile nature of lithium!

Shaun

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Some type disappeared from my last post.

I wanted to add that I personally wont try the above battery revival trick on lithium batteries on account of the highly volatile nature of lithium!

Shaun

Very wise, Shaun.  I've seen model r/c lithium batteries go off, just because they were being charged faster than 1C rate.  Not good off the plane, and complete disaster, if still inside!!  They do pretty much the same if damaged in an "unfortunate"{!} landing.  Those are only small ones and I hate to think what they could at the size of hand tool batteries.

Edited by jcredfer
spelling
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Very wise, Shaun.  I've seen model r/c lithium batteries go off, just because they were being charged faster than 1C rate.  Not good off the plane, and complete disaster, if still inside!!  They do pretty much the same if damaged in an "unfortunate"{!} landing.  Those are only small ones and I hate to think what they could at the size of hand tool batteries.

Had to set off the high school fire alarm when the chemistry teacher almost set the class room alight in my fourth year. The chemistry teacher (I've quite forgotten his name) was the best teacher we had.

Regards Shaun

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

On 29/03/2021 at 07:43, Sasquatch said:

Have you posted the 0-8-2 build on here Manna?

Regards Shaun

G'Day Folks

Not yet Shaun, I've changed computers, and the 'New' ( old type) doesn't have a SD card reader, one's been ordered, but I do have a pic of the loco and old chassis, no idea what chassis it is, but it's a poor one.

manna

DSCF4878.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

G'Day Sasquatch.

Finally worked out why my pictures weren't  being resized, they were, but going to my 'Pictures' instead of My Documents, Doah !. So here's a pic of the new scratchbuilt chassis, also one of the new J7 chassis. (There's also a J5 chassis being built as well.

manna

DSCF5699.jpg

DSCF5696.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1