Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, stevel said:

my wife and I love to go to Tofino, been a couple of times and need to go again one day.

Calgary to Vancouver is a beautiful drive, especially if you go down the fraser highway, where the unfortunate Lytton is located.

I'm hoping to get started on wood shop on my property, this fall which will have a full loft, to finally be able to build a model railway.

every attempt in the last 40 years has been pushed aside by life.

This year we're going to stay in a rental on the Columbia river in Washington. A nice isolated location about 10 miles down a dirt road and right on the beach. Can't wait either of us. No vacation last year for obvious reasons.

I too went through life for many years unable to build a layout because life just has other plans. Making up for it now though :yahoo:.

Good luck with the building and loft. Don't make compromises if this is to be your magnum opus. You'll only do it once and life is too short so make it count. That's how I'm approaching it.

regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
emoji
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Update...Way overdue too.

So, the lady down the road next to my mate with the Alaska mill is putting up a garage and just like most places around here that involves cutting down a few trees, in this case pines. 

She gave the logs to my mate who doesn’t have much use for pine, I’ve been helping him turn it into lumber on his saw mill and he has given me a whole truck load of it. Trouble is it’s green and weighs a ton. Each plank being about 45lbs give or take! Nice right! But here’s the crunch...

Freshly cut and sawn lumber like that is prone to mold extremely fast so I had to move all the machines to one side in the barn and back the truck in there (much harder than it sounds) then unload and stack roughly   3000lbs of wet lumber in 102F. Needless to say I’m “cream crackered”!  After I have made some T&G to clad the front covered deck ceiling there’ll be plenty left for layout construction. I’ll need about 10 pairs of legs for the mill town section on Grim-up-North at least. 

IMG_1236.JPG.f7917c4580dfb7c17d2e54d64aa22c20.JPG

Progress on the garage/warehouse make-over is going well considering the climatic conditions and we’re about half way done having completed one end and the front. 

IMG_1239.JPG.68c5b8442842aad5313feb8281f72056.JPG

Some layout work got done midweek too. I finished one wooden platform including the steps, ground cover and landing. 

DSCF2384.JPG.0365e96fe907d2a96b6d03eeddf0a68e.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG.2b5ae417206def60116145ca76769db2.JPG

Now the modeling mojo has been aroused again I’ve got stuck in to a drawer full of unfinished wagons. 

These are mostly builds that became a little too challenging for one reason or another and require much patience.  

First up is this BR twin bolster set. The joining coupling had to be repaired. Then I added some weights and the safety loops from staples on the one with the 8 shoe clasp braked vehicle. This build is the amalgamation of four kits and I have added some alder, 30' 8"x12" beams.  

It still needs numbering, weathering and some rope to secure those huge beams.

DSCF2386.JPG.f5220b32ff5ac09d194fc39e83f73809.JPG

Lastly this evening's train is J50, 68940 bound for Thornton with just 3 wagon loads of coal. It's being held at Queensbury until the section ahead is clear. Probably a Halifax-seaside excursion!   

IMG_1241.JPG.09bd0f1f084f8eb431679e32f9d70f86.JPG

Hope that you are all still keeping safe and well

Squatch

Edited by Sasquatch
Punk
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, edward66 said:

Won't the planks warp as they dry or not if they dry naturally?

That depends on the cut! Pine will shrink quite a lot because the general rule is that the faster the tree grows the grater the shrinkage as it's seasoned.

We make the cuts so as to gain the most lumber from each log.  With more expensive woods such as oak the cuts are made in a manner which gets close grain from the heart wood (Black). This wood is less likely to shrink or warp! 

03-Cross-Section-Butternut-z.jpg.f80a90253877b8d65892c7a40b33644d.jpg 

This is the way we ripped the pine, Starting at the edge and working in. It involves rolling the log 3 times.

The trees were roughly 120 years old, so most of the planks are 12 inches give or take. When they are fully seasoned (next Summer) I'll need to rip them down to the required widths and plane them down to 3/4". 

istockphoto-182726252-612x612.jpg.7bce71aae047de51b2d7b527e4b2dacd.jpg

So I've got my work cut out!

Regards Shaun 

Edited by Sasquatch
TO CORRECT THAT FIRST IMAGE
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

12 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

This year we're going to stay in a rental on the Columbia river in Washington. A nice isolated location about 10 miles down a dirt road and right on the beach. Can't wait either of us. No vacation last year for obvious reasons.

I too went through life for many years unable to build a layout because life just has other plans. Making up for it now though :yahoo:.

Good luck with the building and loft. Don't make compromises if this is to be your magnum opus. You'll only do it once and life is too short so make it count. That's how I'm approaching it.

regards Shaun

sounds like a beautiful location for a break from the madness. the loft is going to be 35 x 12 so hopefully it is big enough.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, stevel said:

sounds like a beautiful location for a break from the madness. the loft is going to be 35 x 12 so hopefully it is big enough.

35' should be plenty for running scale length expresses. 

What scale are you interested in Steve?

Regards Shaun

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

35' should be plenty for running scale length expresses. 

What scale are you interested in Steve?

Regards Shaun

building in P4 |Edwardian era GWR, basing the model on the Falmouth branch which gives me the chance to build a couple of Brunel wooden viaducts.

the first thing I have drawn in Fusion 360 are the cast iron viaduct baseplates for 3d printing, when you make your trip from Calgary, you should drop by if I've got anything built.

• Like 4

I lived in Cornwall for a few years and always thought the Falmouth Branch was a bit of magic.  Not least for the fact that they managed to find a route for any railway, through the territory.  It always struck me, as it differed from most town railways, in that it wasn't down by the river, but could be found by looking "up there", perched up the side of the hill.  The top end of the hill out of Falmouth also hosts the deep cutting at Four Cross, where the road goes over.  It was a real feat of engineering skill and planning and will, no doubt make a very different scenic model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, stevel said:

building in P4 |Edwardian era GWR, basing the model on the Falmouth branch which gives me the chance to build a couple of Brunel wooden viaducts.

the first thing I have drawn in Fusion 360 are the cast iron viaduct baseplates for 3d printing, when you make your trip from Calgary, you should drop by if I've got anything built.

That sounds fantastic. Just the sort of modeling I enjoy seeing the most. One of my favorites on RMweb is Penhayle Bay.

Rick did a fantastic job of capturing the essence of Cornwall, right down to the life boat.

Will you be documenting your progress om RMweb per chance?

Regards Shaun

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

That sounds fantastic. Just the sort of modeling I enjoy seeing the most. One of my favorites on RMweb is Penhayle Bay.

Rick did a fantastic job of capturing the essence of Cornwall, right down to the life boat.

Will you be documenting your progress om RMweb per chance?

Regards Shaun

i will be documenting progress as soon as I have something to share, only moved to this property last year so I've been incredibly busy with renovations etc.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jcredfer said:

I lived in Cornwall for a few years and always thought the Falmouth Branch was a bit of magic.  Not least for the fact that they managed to find a route for any railway, through the territory.  It always struck me, as it differed from most town railways, in that it wasn't down by the river, but could be found by looking "up there", perched up the side of the hill.  The top end of the hill out of Falmouth also hosts the deep cutting at Four Cross, where the road goes over.  It was a real feat of engineering skill and planning and will, no doubt make a very different scenic model.

looking up at a model is my favourite way to see them, so it will mainly be cut into the side of the hills for the best view.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, stevel said:

i will be documenting progress as soon as I have something to share, only moved to this property last year so I've been incredibly busy with renovations etc.

I hear ya! Been in this place 8 years and we're still at it! 

6 hours ago, stevel said:

looking up at a model is my favourite way to see them, so it will mainly be cut into the side of the hills for the best view.

That sounds great. GUN is built on long legs so when the day finally arrives when I can just watch the trains go round, all I'll need is a chair to bring things to eye level!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Got the old air conditioning unit running so was able to get a bit of work done on the layout. Mrs.S. almost joined me because it was way cooler in the garage than the house!:unknw_mini:

Completed the framing on the Halifax-Keighley platform and..

DSCF2390.JPG.27e4e90c5715d46439fd39cc7abe1123.JPG

...started the decking at the other end.

DSCF2388.JPG.ef58ead0d5b3769944d396c2d2306506.JPG

Sorry no train today because the camera batteries died.

Squatch

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That was a close shave...

She was on about fixing down all those little decking planks until she saw how many there were!

Also didn't twig where the cold beer came from!

Regards Shaun

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

All those scale 6" nails to bang in !! Excellent progress.

manna

:fan:  You are observant mate!

nails.JPG.9eb59e1ca2744edad28377d422379d06.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

13 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Did you use a scale hammer ???????

manna

You need to turn your spillchucker off, he wasn't hammering fish-plates...

[I just read that again.....    I'm sorry, so very, very sorry...  so bucking sorry!!  It's time for Nursie to bring my night-time sweeties...]

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Did you use a scale hammer ???????

manna

Don't be silly....

.....I've got a 1/76 framing nailer and compressor!

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

You need to turn your spillchucker off, he wasn't hammering fish-plates...

[I just read that again.....    I'm sorry, so very, very sorry...  so bucking sorry!!  It's time for Nursie to bring my night-time sweeties...]

Look out for a tall hairy guy in a white coat with big feet....

....I'm coming to break you out, you've obviously been in there far too long J.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Just have been dealing with the heat waves which involves getting up real early and watering plants then getting as much done for wildfire preparation before it gets too hot usually around 9:30. Rather than run the aircon in the garage all day I have been commandeering the dining table and working on yet more rolling stock. Mrs.S. thinks that I don’t need any more and she might be right but the thing is, building it is what I enjoy most of all! Especially revamping those older kits. 

1040440737_Oldkits.JPG.85a2a9fff9ed7833dea7cf0663c63123.JPG

So far this week then I built the age-old Ian Kirk Felix Pole 20T coal wagon.

220317355_IanKirkFelixPole(3).JPG.d68e9e57bded5818ec26817aaf7585f5.JPG

It’s been brought up-to-date with Hornby wheels on top hat bearings, Bachmann mini couplings in Parkside mounts and I replaced the buffer beams and buffers with Ratio ones. Other details added are Chivers Fine Lines brake levers and door bangs from the scrap box, end door handles from staples and safety loops from micro stip.  

One side of the brake gear was modified by cutting the push rods off and flipping them over RCH style. Livery will be GWR. 

1310793171_IanKirkFelixPole(2).JPG.5048df599917fb1d747924f2f0b7f724.JPG

Parkside wartime van. This one has an RCH underframe from Ratio with new buffer beams cut from a spare sole bar! There’s also much micro styrene and staples to detail it up to my usual level of madness. 

1120217557_Wartimevanrebuild(1).JPG.fc83bdfca28583fc94cf30ef6b447efb.JPG

Phoenix LNER bauxite and Badger grimy black paints applied.

2124948692_Wartimevanrebuild(2).JPG.955d6d862fd219be44f30b62030705de.JPG

This one, a Kirk Boplate B was my first ever kit purchase. As a novice I put it on GW plate bogies and brushed it bauxite. Unfitted, it should have been grey of course.  If anything, they ran in bare wood! 

924050437_BoplateBrebuild(2).JPG.f575f53541abaaf31854cf5e4febd850.JPG

The makeover began with paint stripper and a new pair of bogies with four pairs of split spoke wheels bullied from other lesser rollingstock items. Yesterday I built up a new underframe from styrene strip and .75mm rod. The barely noticeable hooks and eyes are from a Roxey 3link coupling fret. Of the 10 dozen or so parts only 6 kit parts are involved.

236831809_BoplateBrebuild(1).JPG.7054364f05f514dc0010b8e2db2e2d97.JPG

I already have two others in LNER grey so am going for the unpainted wood look and a sheeted load (just a block of pine fashioned on my bandsaw). 

1508520452_BoplateBrebuild(3).JPG.639a6f13e2cab5eeaa45de75c297eeaa.JPG

There’s also this rare MAJ L&Y motor car van ready to receive a nice shade of crimson.

18171465_LYmotorcarvan.JPG.77e8b82d36e03ec71a41c13115a3ef69.JPG 

Lastly a train has been moving on the layout. B1 with a semi fast goods roster testing the platform clearances. 

182701873_B!Testtrain(1).JPG.987b4395bccba0112533ead8f7db355f.JPG

2025032230_B!Testtrain(2).JPG.c1ccd979e475b4157093cbe839fe8f5e.JPG 

Squatch   Eager to attack something else with my scalpel.   

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Instead I attempted to have a go at the L&Y motor car van's body paint.

Alas my Railmatch crimson has dried up. (It was the brighter Southern shade anyway so no loss). Luckily when in town I took some time to have a thorough good look at all the acrylic craft paints in Hobby Lobby. There was a sale on I believe at the time so splashed out and stocked up on many colours among which were two shades of crimson.

A 3to1 of the two mix was settled upon and after battling with some masking tape I ventured into the barn with my old $20 air brush. After wrestling with that trying to fix the broken hose for an hour I bravely got the rather nail varnish pink looking shade of paint flowing!

DSCF2405.JPG.e7279d3bf1df2a94075e3a3fbdbf5b95.JPG

While I've been typing all this boring procedure up, the Russian prostitute nail varnish pink has dried to a very acceptable shade of BR crimson so the masking tape is already off for a phottie with Hornby's LMR horsebox.

DSCF2406.JPG.b265dd46fd8867e7e6e25f7f190404bc.JPG

Quite pleased with that. Squatch. 

Edited by Sasquatch
To point out That I in no way have ever met any Russians especially women of the night. Before someone picks up on it and goes off on one. I know how your minds work on here!!
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5