Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, figworthy said:

Could that be a demolition train ?

Certainly looks like it. The date of the picture is May 1966 so we're lucky to find a steam engine at all.

I think this picture came from facebook . It's interesting to learn that the iron bridge was used as a passenger bridge up until 1890 when the GNR lattice bridge was built. Amazing that now it's the only physical evidence that there was a station there at all.

Perhaps I should model the demolition trains for photographic purposes as I build the layout? Time going backwards  sort of thing!

Regards Shaun 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Certainly looks like it. The date of the picture is May 1966 so we're lucky to find a steam engine at all.

I think this picture came from facebook . It's interesting to learn that the iron bridge was used as a passenger bridge up until 1890 when the GNR lattice bridge was built. Amazing that now it's the only physical evidence that there was a station there at all.

Perhaps I should model the demolition trains for photographic purposes as I build the layout? Time going backwards  sort of thing!

Regards Shaun 

Thinking about this a bit more, I have a feeling that I visited the site in 1976 (no pictures, and only vague memories), and if it wasn't, it was somewhere on the ex GNR system in the area.

I forgot to say, I'm liking this project, I used to have family in the area.

Adrian

Edited by figworthy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Adrian.

The other three railway features at Queensbury today are the station masters house,

257278654_stationmastershouse3.jpg.3687486e733420079d04aa91f862fdc6.jpg

Stationmastershouse2.JPG.e3a77a477786a4016700134e9a5549e7.JPG

Brow Lane bridge and...

Browlanebridge1.jpg.3d5dbcac2356c48bc56d91a5a0fa90e5.jpg

1403544048_Browlanebridge2.JPG.d71d381b7ed180bc042ea5c3c5a22a28.JPG

...of course Queensburytunnel   More on that later.

1928979832_Tunnelportal(2).jpg.4d7ad38ba1a7b63f0863063bdfc095f8.jpg

Back in 1976 The 3arch viaduct would also still have been in place.

1684919075_viaduct(1).jpg.0e4dede61435b41e50266c8d4d80bfd0.jpg

Viaduct2.JPG.b2f597dc9a98c524d0ae491174f57ed1.JPG

Regrettably I've not been there myself but one day will run model trains there!

While I'm still waiting for the rattle can ivory to fully dry on the platform buildings, I got on with some ballast spreading.

ballast.JPG.c3edc456a9c8b691359b5c972e3ac34d.JPG

Lastly here are the greens which I have to choose from (photographed in the last few minutes of direct sunlight we will have for quite some time).

Left to right they are Tamiya flat green, my mixed acrylic Buckingham green and Humbrol uniform green.

None of them look quite right do they?

end.JPG.5f18a293e0761831b799c33be859d922.JPG

Regards Shaun. 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, teaky said:

Thanks for the link Rob.

I've checked that site out before and come away none the wiser. Most of the images if not all of them  there show modern renditions of LNER stations. The most convincing is the second image which shows a flat faded green and whats more confusing are the various shades of cream used, varying from almost white on Holt signal box to light ochre on Holt station.

Anyhow who am I to be critical and I doubt very much that the green and cream colour scheme adopted by the LNER was consistent  over their entire system!

Although grubby and old Thoresby Colliery signal box photographed in 1984 is more the colour scheme I'm looking to produce as I think it will work best for Queensburys post war austere setting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154596801@N04/25748626738/sizes/l/

Regards Shaun

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, teaky said:

Ha ha .. that put a smile on my face. Even if I could afford the postage I doubt the post office would be so accommodating!

You have no idea the lengths one has to go to, to sneak a tiny pot of BR express loco blue past those (insert another name for cats) so's one can respray a Sir Nigel Gresley!

Edited by Sasquatch
meow
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, teaky said:

Clicking on that link reminded me; when I win the lottery, I'm going to offer my services to Dulux for $1 a year to be the plonker who comes up with paint names:  "Dewey Lawn"!   "Mossy Stone"!!   "Stormy Daniels"!!!   Oh, wait....

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

How about Marsh green...

Marsh.JPG.80acbd321ee0ce2164ffe8a0fadff6b2.JPG

...which I found in my draw where the acrylics live. Hours have been spent on this today masking, priming and setting up the air brush which I couldn't get to a satisfactory finish and ruined my Buckingham green that I kept for so long. Having now spent the entire evening brushing this cheap Walmart paint on. two coats and not even halfway through but  I'm quite happy and am off to bed.

The picture doesn't do it justice of course.

Edited by Sasquatch
pussycats
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

How about Marsh green...

...which I found in my draw where the acrylics live. Hours have been spent on this today masking, priming and setting up the air brush which I couldn't get to a satisfactory finish and ruined my Buckingham green that I kept for so long. Having now spent the entire evening brushing this cheap Walmart paint on. two coats and not even halfway through but  I'm quite happy and am off to bed.

The picture doesn't do it justice of course.

Probably, fiddling around with it, resulting in putting the Airbrush under too much pressure.....                         :triniti:

Regards

J

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Probably, fiddling around with it, resulting in putting the Airbrush under too much pressure.....                         :triniti:

Regards

J

Good to hear from you J.

You're not far wrong...

There's a list of rules I wrote on the top of my airbrush box and my supply line has it's own regulator that is set to the best pressure setting . The air brushes themselves are kept as clean as possible. The two rules broken were trying to do this on a cold day and very stupidly using Isopropyl alcohol from under the bathroom sink because my tin was dry. Pure isopropyl alcohol works really well for some brands of acrylic paint and have had great results in the past on a warm day. 

Wondering why it wasn't working yesterday I checked the label which proved my undoing as the medical variant has 20% water content. I did tweak the airbrush settings but things just got worse and my patience quickly wore off ending in a nasty string of four lettered words.

The paint mix was so bad that it wouldn't even brush on. Luckily I found that marsh green which isn't on my greens sample card for some reason, probably stumbled across it in Walmart quite recently and forgot I'd brought it for .79C.

Win some loose some eh.

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
fudging
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Given all that you wrote, the end result doesn't look half bad Shaun, I think it matches really well.

Al

Hi Al.

Strange shad of green this, it changes under different lighting.

Braving the frost this morning I have taken a picture in direct low sunlight.

This is the one that got sprayed with the the gloopy paint and brushed

over.

Frost.JPG.dba34eacea1f7449dcb9f5438b6df5d7.JPG

They keep forecasting rain and an end to the nice weather, I'm gonna have to wrap up and take the dogs out while it's still nice.

Regards Shaun

• Like 9

15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It often contains castor oil as well in these parts.

That's the same in the UK, with the castor oil.

I used to use Humbrol and thin it down, I tried Tamia, but that requires their X-20A thinners, which doesn't come cheap at £5.75/250mm.  In the end, I gave up thinning paint and bought "Vallejo Model Air", specifically made for airbrushes.  Not only is it pre-thinned {to perfection}, the pigment is ground to a finer grade and sprays beautifully.  I had to buy in items in small numbers, when needed over the years, but it posts Ok from online and the local model shop has a good selection.  My other old pots remain in the paint box, and still get used for 'hair'-brushing, so they won't get wasted.  I'm told that there are a few other firms {mainly from the wargaming world} which do similar products, with similar results.  We have a wargaming shop near us and they do Citadel, but having found how good Vallejo works, I haven't bothered to spend money simply to see if they are as good.  Re - painting in the cold, it took me a good while to work out what caused those tiny bare spots and splutter {no internet back then and the topic was seldom mentioned in the books /mags, and I always spray indoors now - it's worth the earache, before having to turn the paint booth into a temporary Dining Room.  :unknw_mini:

I like the effect of the "gloopy green" paint job, it is very reminiscent of the full size jobs, when I were a lad.  I'm sure most railway buildings had paint slapped on by the local staff, during quieter moments and probably purchased from the local ironmonger.  A professional painter would have been too expensive, even back then and a gent, who used to be a Signaller once reminisced about being sent to buy paint to spruce the place up.  It may go some way to explaining why there is so much variation in the colour pictures, too.

Regards

J

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

I like the effect of the "gloopy green" paint job, it is very reminiscent of the full size jobs, when I were a lad.  I'm sure most railway buildings had paint slapped on by the local staff, during quieter moments and probably purchased from the local ironmonger.  A professional painter would have been too expensive, even back then and a gent, who used to be a Signaller once reminisced about being sent to buy paint to spruce the place up.  It may go some way to explaining why there is so much variation in the colour pictures, too.

Whilst I cannot argue with this assumption from personal knowledge I would be a little surprised if this was the general practice. When I worked on Network Rail, before retirement, the policy was for small repairs to be carried out by contractors (thereby leading to many bodges and horror stories). Some of us used to complain about the workmanship to our 'gaffers' but were told that there was nothing they could do about it. I always got the impression from them that, 'in the good old days' the railways employed their own workmen.

I would suspect that the signalman being sent to buy paint would be being sent to obtain paint for a minor project rather than a total repaint of the station buildings.

Ian T

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

Whilst I cannot argue with this assumption from personal knowledge I would be a little surprised if this was the general practice. When I worked on Network Rail, before retirement, the policy was for small repairs to be carried out by contractors (thereby leading to many bodges and horror stories). Some of us used to complain about the workmanship to our 'gaffers' but were told that there was nothing they could do about it. I always got the impression from them that, 'in the good old days' the railways employed their own workmen.

I would suspect that the signalman being sent to buy paint would be being sent to obtain paint for a minor project rather than a total repaint of the station buildings.

Ian T

You could well be right, my local stn was vey much a small affair, mostly brick build too, I think the larger stns like the Exeter ones, further away would have been more efficiently done by contractors {or employed maintainance staff}.

Regards

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, moore43grm said:

hi there,

have you seen this before ?, page one of four available on "The Queensbury Lines" facebook page.

image.png.e65b62f5aaa3ae23a1e680a20d7d8c31.png

regards  

Russ M

Thank you for posting Russ. A real aid for Great Northern modelers and very interesting reading.

regards Shaun.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry to be the barer of sad news but one morning I got up to find that my Mojo had left. No note or anything. I have tried everything to rekindle the relationship without any luck, Only hope is that it hibernates at this time of year (probably on the new sofa in front of the television) and will be waking up shortly.

Regards Shaun

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear that Shaun, they're a booger, these Mojos, mine did the same last year.

But never fear, when spring has sprung, it will come creeping back, looking for forgiveness.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

Hi Shaun,

It's strange how the Mojo seems to have a mind of it's own.  It seems to be rather selective in what it chooses to apply to, or neglect, too and that particular neglect can/does arrest progress elsewhere.

You have such a delightful and varied aspect project well in progress, that one day soon a thought about one of those many aspects will provoke that thought into an activity.  Maybe a building, a bit of scenery, or maybe a loco with trucks passed  through a section of the layout.....

Just to cheer you up, can I ship you my small set of boards, which need the track lifting and laying properly in accordance with the plan.....    it' not very big, honest, Guv!!

Back to Earth..... the Mojo has a habit of equally un- announced returns, may yours be soon.

Looking forward to some more Grim aspects of the North.

Best wishes

Julian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1