Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

That looks very nice, Saun.   The mojo must have returned in full

Derek

5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Good to see your modelling again Shaun, and a very nice little job too.:good:

Thank you guys. 

I might not be doing much today after a really bad night so thought I might just do some layout pics instead.

Where's my SD card gone.

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
Burnt the sausages.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Al.

I knew I could turn to RMweb for some inspiration. We just signed up for a faster, cheaper internet service too which will help matters no end.

Here's some pics as promised earlier. I should put them on the Dunster thread but it wont hurt to put them on here for a change.

Barney Magrew from the bank in Minehead has been working overtime at the farm talking to the owner about his lack of mortgage payments and has alighted from his Riley to take in the rather new  experience of a diesel train.

DSCF0755.JPG.ad96d43a708aa9679923ebc591e86f5c.JPG

14xx class tank heading for Minehead with two loads of timber from north of the boarder.DSCF0759.JPG.501d7da9a9b9a3d268e5bd7b0f94c93e.JPG

6 wheeler bringing up the rear. What a difference the back scene makes.

DSCF0758.JPG.688966e27bb59d0adc03a1b783f830d0.JPG

This exquisite class 3 tank is my latest acquisition. Seen here posing for the camera with Dunster castle in the distance.

DSCF0760.JPG.2bb27919851d3d13dfd43f2cf59ba539.JPG

The same train on a nice summers day with newly finished parcels stock displaying "local" lamps. I don't know if that's at all correct for a parcels service. Looks like the lamp's about to fall of anyway!

DSCF0757.JPG.5200f056ba2b587eda20161b386c3e72.JPG

Incidentally I had problems with the class 3. It gave up the ghost at the show in November. Back at home I found the motor was running  but the train not moving. Upon inspection it appeared that one of the gear axles was too short. Rather than send it back to the UK I replaced the axle with the cut down shank of a 2mm drill bit!

DSCF0729.JPG.3591570fc23cf01f33b18fa3e7f1ddff.JPG

Reassembly was a very tricky process.

DSCF0730.JPG.64b7fd9a03c7d84280bacb694fe442aa.JPG

Shaun

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

Yet another duff Bachmann steamer. This time the beautiful 7F which developed a nasty kick. It's hardly been out of it's box which doesn't do much for the old mojo.

After disassembly and much close inspection it turned out to be a problem more associated with older split chassis locomotives. A split axle gear.

I have made inquiries with Bachmann service dept. to see if a new wheel set can be obtained.

I'm starting to loose my faith in Bachmann especially after learning about this Bachmann-Hattons fiasco.

Anyone else been having problems? 

814531407_7FsplitGear..JPG.01bf2ade4efe421d9d5bdcd2861cbe10.JPG

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Shaun, Now that's not good for your Mojo mate, I hope you get it sorted soon.

Hi Andy.

No joking. Bachmann already got back to me and can supply the part.

Nice!

I'm planning to get some pictures of the layout on here today, just to try out our new internet service if nothing else. (It's ten times faster!!!!)

Regards Shaun

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cgraham said:

Shaun,

Always impressed not only by your and Mrs Squatch's modeling and scenery talents and skills, but your photographic artistry is also of excellent quality.

Thank you Clay, that's a real complement coming from you.

Capturing stuff on camera is a real art, something I don't profess to have. My art teachers in high school sat me down after the exam and said "You are going to art school aren't you".

I didn't but have always wished someone had taken me aside at 16 and explained how attending  collage would have been different to school and that I could have easily got a grant with an A+ O-level. The warehouse job I got instead, put money in my pockets which I duly wasted on clothes from Carnaby street, records and night clubs. 

In my scooter days I was always the one with a Praktica hanging around my neck. I had Russian lenses for  it that took all the hard knocks. Unfortunately have since lost most of the hundreds of pictures I took of scoots and our adventures.

The pictures are my only way of sharing my modeling. If only I lived over there. I could attend shows with my layouts.

Regards Shaun

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I've not found the time today to take any new pics so hunted some down on the SD card.

Two computer programes are used to touch up the images.

First I open them with paint to resize,crop and touch up if necessary.

Next I use a program called picasa  to tweak the lighting and colour and add the vignette.

The first has had the base board joint worked out.

Hornby J50 running light engine into Goathland.

521218845_Touchedup(2).JPG.23b9e08e4ded947faac71cad669c4c5a.JPG

Same location, a portrait of Hornbys brilliant K3.

154935677_Touchedup(4).JPG.d710967a13d27f14a17ac250c2beb04a.JPG

A moody shot of the grave yard on Pottyshire.

932545297_Touchedup(3).JPG.7438a71cc7205023bbed73d1d6ce8695.JPG

Q6 simmering in Goathlands down platform on a late summers evening.

1213052851_Touchedup(1).JPG.b42168008a1219b5890e379223b78847.JPG

And here's Bobo on the top of Wagner Bute with the Rogue valley below and the lower Cascades beyond.

Bobo.JPG.63861221354f42397b88ea6e9e367afc.JPG

Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
QnotO
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

With a steady hand and fresh brush I tackled the rest of the green on the platform buildings a couple of nights ago.

DSCF0778.JPG.64f3dad47676351f4e5bd7da1bd1116a.JPG

Next up is the glazing bars. Involving about 750 altogether this looks to be a formidable task.  My first idea was to spay paint a few packs of .020" x .020" evergreen strips then cut, fit and glue on each one. First problem was the warping reaction of the primer on the thin styrene.

DSCF0777.JPG.07fea350618bff9b57410bba39a8a94a.JPG

Then I realized that even with the steadiest hand it was going to end up messy, with glue all over the glass. I also would like to get the layout finished before I become daisy fodder.

I consulted Mrs. S.    

She recons that I should just scratch the bars onto the plexi-glass. "You'd have it done in a jiffy". She said! So I tried it out, paint was rubbed in and wiped off not that it shows up.

DSCF0776.JPG.0040914b240568b1ea54115d54b9309e.JPG

Maybe the tall central window bar should still be made from the styrene as it appears heftier in photographs.

More on the progress if it works out.

Regards Shaun.

PS. Now we have faster internet I've been catching up on your threads so no apologies  for all the likes.:sungum::sungum::sungum::sungum::sungum:

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun, a really neat bit of painting, I think that the windows have come out well, I am glad that your mojo came out of the drawer. All the best Adrian.  

You've got no idea mate! Couldn't get into the micro strip drawer anyway. At least he settles down nicely in there without bodging up the construction process!

Scatoosh.JPG.f7a70d1fb93ba05a7a24f62e815888ec.JPG

Regards Shaun

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, teaky said:

Sound advice from Mrs S I think.  The painted glazing bars are probably better than could have been achieved with plastic strip.  Looking good!

Hi Rob.

Yes they are very neat and quite convincing. The real bonus is that I've only got one building left to do this morning. It went so fast I got dizzy, had to retire to the TV lounge and got sucked into watching the American version of Shameless with the modeling adviser.

Regards Shaun

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

W20.jpg.754c9160f0162a4f8e66fbd647a13aa9.jpgHoping to see you recreate this one day soon 

Wont be a problem. That's BR period I believe, so I might consider a repaint into blood and custard. Only problem is W19 is standing in platform 7 and I've only modeled platforms 1-5!

Now I'm wondering how long W19 worked in West Yorkshire.

Thanks for posting:sungum:

Regards Shaun

• Like 2
  • Funny 1