Jump to content

Grim-up-North; Goathland & Queensbury. Garage remodel.


Sasquatch
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Julian. Nice enjoyable reading my friend!:sungum::sungum:

In light of current events we have surprised ourselves at how good we have been at pulling our horns in.

Having stocked the small pantry and freezer drawer with a sensible amount of food like most people we, then started making meals from leftovers and moved on to finishing up all the food that had already been opened before consuming the slightly out of date stuff and are now looking at the nearly out of date produce. So far it's been 2 weeks since I went grocery shopping and the only two things we have gotten into are the gorgonzola and bacon!

 

It's been a lesson in how much we waste by over eating, making expensive choices, letting things go off, out of date and treating the dogs. Who by the way need to loose some weight along with those over domesticate feline lodgers.

 

Yesterday I managed to find myself in the warehouse. After spending several hours locating a short cause by an over-center spring, I did the spring cleaning and had a good reorganization of all the modeling paraphernalia, Somehow I found about two dozen cardboard boxes that are now in the recycle pile.

 

Next I removed the tall shelving unit out of there and am now ready to make the baseboard that will join Goathland to the rest of the layout, Having the afternoon totally free I'm looking forward to getting stuck in big time!

 

DSCF0824.JPG.b463c98aa6ea4f0c8bac4e9389fab859.JPG

DSCF0830.JPG.1ef4ab81b19aa010c1f1d64ed69412d1.JPG

DSCF0829.JPG.c88e7e964b3add03a27435227792be8b.JPG

 

Regards Shaun

 

 

 

Shaun,

 

It all looks fantastic, I'm always impressed by your work.

 

Take care,

Pete

  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

G'day Folks

 

A good tidy up works wonders, can actually find things!

 

I'm over feeding my Dogs .........just in case and my 'Road kill' freezers packed to overflowing.............:crazy_mini::crazy_mini:

 

manna, In self isolation in the Oz Outback.

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

 

A good tidy up works wonders, can actually find things!

 

I'm over feeding my Dogs .........just in case and my 'Road kill' freezers packed to overflowing.............:crazy_mini::crazy_mini:

 

manna, In self isolation in the Oz Outback.

Are you finding this self isolation is not much change from the norm like me manna?

When you live out in the sticks you don't see many people anyway right!

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 22/03/2020 at 14:47, Sasquatch said:

Are you finding this self isolation is not much change from the norm like me manna?

When you live out in the sticks you don't see many people anyway right!

 

G'day Folks

 

You are dead right there, only 130 people in the town, most of the traffic that goes past are Tractors, and farm vehicles with dogs on the back, which gives our dogs something to chase (inside the garden fence). Hoping to ride out the storm (of Covid 19) with some form of life expectancy when it finally goes away. Happy modelling everyone.

 

manna

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, manna said:

 

G'day Folks

 

You are dead right there, only 130 people in the town, most of the traffic that goes past are Tractors, and farm vehicles with dogs on the back, which gives our dogs something to chase (inside the garden fence). Hoping to ride out the storm (of Covid 19) with some form of life expectancy when it finally goes away. Happy modelling everyone.

 

manna

Good to know you're pretty safe mate.

There's a lot of talk about food deliveries buzzin about at present and SWMBO was saying we wont get food delivered out here but I'm not worried because it delivers itself on a daily basis.

687344508_Wildturkey.JPG.f8c86f0af16919c97a9b4785d10b8510.JPG

 

Where's the Glock hun???

  • Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Good to know you're pretty safe mate.

There's a lot of talk about food deliveries buzzin about at present and SWMBO was saying we wont get food delivered out here but I'm not worried because it delivers itself on a daily basis.

687344508_Wildturkey.JPG.f8c86f0af16919c97a9b4785d10b8510.JPG

 

Where's the Glock hun???

 

Don't forget to put the mag on with only 2 rounds.....    unless you just want a quick pop-in-the-pot soup!!   :mocking_mini:

 

J

 

  • Funny 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

After a nice turkey burger last night I locked myself in the warehouse with some filler and paint.

The filler was smudged into many unsightly places including the gaps where the dry stone walling sections join, between the  edges of the cork underlay and the edges of the track bed to blend it better and across some baseboard joints. Running a Stanley blade through this when dry will enable the layout to be disassembled is ever that day comes.

30211944_walling(1).JPG.149486a60886d5d698ebe8be9d992ea3.JPG

 

All that walling has been dry brushed with a charcoal-dark burnt umber blend. Some of it also received a thick wash of moss which was blotted with paper kitchen towel.

1833286595_walling(3).JPG.1289fc95c662bd7b6e17834001b5e99a.JPG

 

I also cut more Peco LK40 walling for the retaining walls and painted that.

1640848226_walling(2).JPG.1b8a485c1262c9312c5e8bc4a21a6658.JPG

 

151612117_walling(4).JPG.b75cf97763de9ebfd7bd059cf7cd4a07.JPG

 

1509420154_walling(5).JPG.395b6c04cfc6969f47be3b3f68ada115.JPG

 

Being a glutton for punishment, I did some ballst spreading too!

 

Regards Shaun

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

After a nice turkey burger last night I locked myself in the warehouse with some filler and paint.

The filler was smudged into many unsightly places including the gaps where the dry stone walling sections join, between the  edges of the cork underlay and the edges of the track bed to blend it better and across some baseboard joints. Running a Stanley blade through this when dry will enable the layout to be disassembled is ever that day comes.

.....

 

Regards Shaun

 

What a great idea and so simple, just as most great ideas are.  Thank you Shaun.

 

J

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

 

 

1509420154_walling(5).JPG.395b6c04cfc6969f47be3b3f68ada115.JPG

 

Being a glutton for punishment, I did some ballst spreading too!

 

Regards Shaun

 

Let me know when that house comes on the market, I’ll pay the full asking price straight away 

  • Funny 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

 

Don't forget to put the mag on with only 2 rounds.....    unless you just want a quick pop-in-the-pot soup!!   :mocking_mini:

 

J

 

How would I bag nine birds with two slugs J??     Honestly.

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

 

Let me know when that house comes on the market, I’ll pay the full asking price straight away 

The one in the picture or my house ? Plenty of free food here! Ooo the price just shot right up!!

Edited by Sasquatch
Real estate price increase
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

 

What a great idea and so simple, just as most great ideas are.  Thank you Shaun.

 

J

 

Hi J

The stuff I use for this came in a big 1 gallon box of a guy at a swap meet for the handsome sum of $5. I believe it's Woodland Scenics Mold-A-Scene.

Yesterday I mixed it with the paint used for the landscaping (Also five bucks a gallon from the returns pile at Home depot).

The join here, which still needs attention across the tarmacadam, is almost invisible through the field to the left.

2003257207_walling(4).JPG.49b55095adeff67dcb3341c28d9ca8f3.JPG

 

Regards Shaun

  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

How would I bag nine birds with two slugs J??     Honestly.

 

The rate that thing throws slugs, any more than two would produce shredded turkey, to be scrapped off the landscape - possibly for turkey soup.  :o  Good double taps are difficult enough for a Bren {Oops LMG} or sluggish [yep, pun intended] Sterling, let alone a Glock.   {NB a good few years military service, of which watching guys, trying to get "accurate", results from anything quicker, provided much amusement.  Diagonal stitching describes it well!}

 

As for how the nine may be achieved, simply identify the Hen and get in front of her.  None of them will notice, bearing in mind what they are up to!! [Turkey rule No 1] just wait until all in line and squeeze the trigger.  Failing that, just take more slugs, either in your pocket of ready loaded in spare mags. [Turkey rule No 1 still applies, just don't pick off the dominant male before the rest!  :rolleyes:]

 

Julian

PS. Remember Tom Salmon, on the early years TV {early children's TV}, who used to sit on a farm gate and tell stories of Argentinian cowboy experiences?  He did just that {turkey rule No 1}, with the dominant Boar and didn't get rescued from his tree for 2 whole days!  :laugh_mini:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 24/03/2020 at 20:44, jukebox said:

Really enjoying the potential for photographs in some of those scenes, Shaun.

 

Keep up the excellent work!

 

Cheers

 

Scott

Yes Scott, I'm pretty exited to point the camera at it when it's finished.

 

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
Social distancing.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

...It's hard not to do that now actually. Although I am now of the mind to only post up pictures of the bits that get done and wait until it looks about complete before I actually post up pics of the layout with trains on it.

 

This week I built the bridle tunnel that used to be under the Halifax-Keighley platforms.

Made from a foam board frame with Peco walling and a piece of kitchen roll tube with brickpaper glued on the inside, it was painted before I hot glued it all together. Lastly I plugged up the big gaps with card etc. and mixed up  more filler and paint to blend it into the embankment.

762925494_Queensburybridletunnel(1).JPG.c6499e23811e6f05aa4c6143c7caaab8.JPG

717743360_Queensburybridletunnel(2).JPG.17446fdc42fb30e265c99ff23051a981.JPG

9832296_Queensburybridletunnel(3).JPG.4406d3455483daadc5b3de3766f2efd7.JPG

 

Now there's a nice view towards the viaduct.

765686463_Queensburybridletunnel(4).JPG.5735ffb29a27a61250b77d2200bdc8ab.JPG

 

Lots more got done this week such as more filler and ballast.  Nothing worth looking at really.

 

More game wandering through today...

Buck.JPG.ed25ee4fb0f012fafa23b726a1bceb7f.JPG

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
Tunnel vision.
  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

...It's hard not to do that now actually. Although I am now of the mind to only post up pictures of the bits that get done and wait until it looks about complete before I actually post up pics of the layout with trains on it.

 

This week I built the bridle tunnel that used to be under the Halifax-Keighley platforms.

Made from a foam board frame with Peco walling and a piece of kitchen roll tube with brickpaper glued on the inside, it was painted before I hot glued it all together. Lastly I plugged up the big gaps with card etc. and mixed up  more filler and paint to blend it into the embankment.

762925494_Queensburybridletunnel(1).JPG.c6499e23811e6f05aa4c6143c7caaab8.JPG

717743360_Queensburybridletunnel(2).JPG.17446fdc42fb30e265c99ff23051a981.JPG

9832296_Queensburybridletunnel(3).JPG.4406d3455483daadc5b3de3766f2efd7.JPG

 

Now there's a nice view towards the viaduct.

765686463_Queensburybridletunnel(4).JPG.5735ffb29a27a61250b77d2200bdc8ab.JPG

 

Lots more got done this week such as more filler and ballast.  Nothing worth looking at really.

 

More game wandering through today...

Buck.JPG.ed25ee4fb0f012fafa23b726a1bceb7f.JPG

Regards Shaun

 

After the recent long views, it's easier to see the viaduct and bridle bridge in context.  They are really going together very nicely.

 

Looking at the deer, it occurs that you would be quite likely to get a few big cuddly bears, too.     :unsure:

J

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jcredfer said:

 

After the recent long views, it's easier to see the viaduct and bridle bridge in context.  They are really going together very nicely.

 

Looking at the deer, it occurs that you would be quite likely to get a few big cuddly bears, too.     :unsure:

J

Thank You Julian. I'm trying to blend things together by consistently using the same paints and technique!

 

We have had a bear that frequents our neighborhood. I've not seen it myself probably because they're rather scared of dogs. All I can tell you is that a few weeks back there were about a dozen apples still on the little tree just outside our bedroom which all disappeared one night. It wasn't a racoon because they leave a mess and couldn't consume that much. It wasn't deer because the apples were the ones too high that got left by them. I'm pretty sure it was the bear who sneaked up the front next to the creek. our property can be divided into two basic "L" shaped parts, the fenced  part at the back which is a free run guarded by the collies and the front drive and woods which have to be left open as a sort of  wildlife corridor.

 

Apparently we have wolves here too now. There was some expensive looking satellite equipment on yellow tripods up the mountain last summer. I overheard a guy down the local store telling the girl he'd seen the equipment and that it was for tracking sasquatch. Who we all known is much too smart to be caught on camera.

It's his big feet that get him into trouble.

IMG_0171.JPG.f6ca8023433fe42fb0bbd023407e4fb8.JPG

  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Thank You Julian. I'm trying to blend things together by consistently using the same paints and technique!

 

We have had a bear that frequents our neighborhood. I've not seen it myself probably because they're rather scared of dogs. All I can tell you is that a few weeks back there were about a dozen apples still on the little tree just outside our bedroom which all disappeared one night. It wasn't a racoon because they leave a mess and couldn't consume that much. It wasn't deer because the apples were the ones too high that got left by them. I'm pretty sure it was the bear who sneaked up the front next to the creek. our property can be divided into two basic "L" shaped parts, the fenced  part at the back which is a free run guarded by the collies and the front drive and woods which have to be left open as a sort of  wildlife corridor.

 

Apparently we have wolves here too now. There was some expensive looking satellite equipment on yellow tripods up the mountain last summer. I overheard a guy down the local store telling the girl he'd seen the equipment and that it was for tracking sasquatch. Who we all known is much too smart to be caught on camera.

It's his big feet that get him into trouble.

IMG_0171.JPG.f6ca8023433fe42fb0bbd023407e4fb8.JPG

I wasn't sure which emo to press...

 

The consistent paint colouring is a good idea, do you make batches and store them?

 

The Sassnap is wonderful, was that taken by Mrs S when you weren't watching?

 

Interesting that the Wolves have got so far your way, or is that a new introduction programme?  We went to  various Nat Parks, about 20 - 25{?} years ago, very shortly after they were brought in North of Yellowstone.  We never got anywhere near enough to get a glimpse, but got some howling, drifted in on a light breeze, one evening.  Back then, they were keeping well away from anything that smelled of a human. 

 

Mrs R loves things "nature", which is great until she decides to walk around in one of the areas, where the Wardens had said there had been Grizzly sightings - waving an unwrapped Snicker bar, calling "Here Yogi... ".  She didn't seem to cotton to the idea {despite it being pointed out!} that any Grizzly, which was wary about humans, would hear her voice and scat, way before it might be seen - and the other type wouldn't mind the challenge of what might be holding the Snicker Bar!!  Fortunately, I managed to find her a more co-operative, posing type, a couple of days later.

 

Julian

 

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Manna What the eck are two alpacas doing there. Isn't it a bit warm for them there.

 

 

It's no longer possible to access the attic above the garage

So I took a few shots standing on a stool.

Here we see as much of Queensbury as I could get into one picture.

983034472_Helicopter(1).JPG.1289d5a6fb500ec06476cfdbe0a205f9.JPG

 

Over Brow Lane Bridge

506131928_Helicopter(3).JPG.885a72490873d34307f77fd4451517f1.JPG

 

Keighley lines.

934243075_Helicopter(4).JPG.7bafb426c7f255bc1a3d10f918a53cd9.JPG

 

The area I'm currently working on, the subway and footbridge over the rope hauled coal incline.

1551228562_Helicopter(2).JPG.921eb5f62d7777d617263abe619c7d56.JPG

 

Bradford Exchange.

945637192_Helicopter(5).JPG.dea8b455fd15e7dbe36c7f8df169188f.JPG

 

And the over-under transition from Goathland to Queensbury

trans.JPG.3e61d2bcb8304caf8b79c4907e2c03d8.JPG

 

 

Been a while since I posted a picture of a train, so here's a J39on passenger duty.

416010870_J39(1).JPG.a5276b1d08188307eee3048ede97ff79.JPG

2072834200_J39(2).JPG.0904d99d57a69d2ce10d742456b2edbe.JPG

 

And lastly a picture of Goathland taken from the footbridge.

Departure.JPG.6630213db73160e90c3bd131aaef2444.JPG

 

 

Edited by Sasquatch
gobbledygook.
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Sasquatch changed the title to Grim-up-North; Goathland & Queensbury. Garage remodel.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...