Bachmann & Farish half-year product update

Andy Y

Today was an opportunity for the hobby press to meet up with the Bachmann team for presentations on the latest developments.

Bachmann Europe are now distributing the Proses range to their retailers and there was an opportunity to get an insight into the range and handle some of the products. We'll have more reviews for you in due course on that but there's certainly some products I haven't seen before which should be very useful such as this cutter.

Proses-cutter.jpg

The Dynamis Ultima + RailController software was announced earlier in the year and we had chance to look at it and it's excellent functionality in more detail; from conversations it's evident there's an awful lot of potential going beyond conventional control systems and we can expect a realease towards the end of this year.

A presentation by Graeme McMillan allowed us to get an insight into the production of Scenecraft buildings.

It's evident that Bachmann are doing well with more retail accounts opened, increasing revenue and expansion into other ranges that we covered in the Pocketbond acquisition news. Inroads are starting to happen in the production backlog; the following screenshots show the latest status of the projects announced.

Product Development Update-5.jpg

Product Development Update-6.jpg

Product Development Update-7.jpg

Product Development Update-8.jpg

Product Development Update-9.jpg

Although no new announcements were made today it was indicated that the next catalogue and product announcements may take place a little earlier next year, probably at some point in January.

The Thompson coach livery samples were on show, the teak effect of the painted coach sides will be subject to some tweaking. 

image048.jpg

image050.jpg

image052.jpg

image054.jpg

image056.jpg

There's a finesse to the window bars and glazing I've not seen before looking more like well-glazed etched sides. 

image049.jpg

image051.jpg

image053.jpg

image055.jpg

Sticking with the coaches for now we saw the first EP on the Birdcage stock; there is much fine detail to these and I feel they justify the prices quoted for the quality.

image102.jpg

image103.jpg

image104.jpg

In N Gauge we saw the EP sample of the autocoach.

image105.jpg

image106.jpg

Previously we saw a 3D print of the Webb Coal Tank and today saw the first EP, extensive lengths have been taken to keep the prototypical space behind the leading axle with the rest of the chassis looking very well detailed. The brass buffers although not sprung gave a touch of class.

image098.jpg

image099.jpg

Work is well advanced on the Warflat and our first chance to see the EP.

image100.jpg

image101.jpg

EP samples of the Class 450 and the later Class 70.

image096.jpg

image097.jpg

Decorated samples of the Farish Castle were on hand as was a sound-fitted version on test which sounded remarkably good for an N gauge sound loco.

image069.jpg

image070.jpg

Final decoration samples of Model Rail's USA tank were on show with imminent arrival at Barwell. They will then be sample checked before sending on to Kernow to carry out the fulfilment.

image113.jpg

image114.jpg

I've only shown the green one as I'm looking forward to that one arriving here soon.

All in all a very positive day with the opportunity to discuss even thorny subject matter with the people at the sharp end of the business and my thanks go to the team for their time today.

LNER V2 body retool is very welcome, the Thompson coaches and the 'Birdcage' coaches too, and the Coal Tank looks superb..................

Sorry, for delay in posting, I just had to stop my credit card from escaping.  Fortunately I heard it muttering something about, "cruel and unusual punishment" before it slipped under the door............... :nono:

Looking good. The Castle is remarkable.

Just one thing - it says the 64xx is delivered but so far only 2 of the three liveries have reached the shops. Does anyone know what has happened to the BR lined green version? Are they just holding it back to help sell the other two or is there a problem?

Does anyone know what has happened to the BR lined green version? Are they just holding it back to help sell the other two or is there a problem?

Not that I'm aware of so it should be imminent.

The birdcages and thompson coaches look excellent, although i doubt the birdcages will sell well at £50 when the Bachmann LSWR 58' coaches are only £32-£39 and look fairly similar to the untrained eye... still... good to see Bachmann finally clearing the backlog and giving a ETA for the H2!

• RMweb Gold

Ivatt tank delivered ??!

I get the feeling that "delivered" means that the factory has completed the production run, packed the product, and shipped it to their customer, Bachmann Europe,

In other words, they've delivered on their part of the project.

Obviously it can't mean that the Ivatt tanks have been delivered to Bachmann Europe's customers, the retailers, because they haven't. Presumably they are still somewhere between China and Barwell, or arrived at Barwell so recently that there hasn't been time to unpack them, carry out the usual random sample QC checks and then pack them up to meet the retailer orders.

Thompsons look stunning. Hopefully the tweaking to the teak effect paint will result in a more scale appearance. Looks a bit exaggerated / clumsy to my eye.

Good to finally see progress with the birdcages and H2 atlantic. 

Rakes of SR birdcages and LNER Thompsons plus the H2 in Southern green (and hopefully LB&SCR umber) are going to seriously hammer the credit card next year.  :O

It is very pleasing to see progress on many items, especially the 158 and the 90.

But was there any updates on non-new tooling but announced items? Northern Belle 57/3, 37s etc from the catalogue back in March.

What springs straight to my mind is 32-468 171 and 32-469 170, do they now plan to re-tool them for DCC or are they waiting to see if Rapido release one?

I get the feeling that "delivered" means that the factory has completed the production run, packed the product, and shipped it to their customer, Bachmann Europe,

In other words, they've delivered on their part of the project.

Obviously it can't mean that the Ivatt tanks have been delivered to Bachmann Europe's customers, the retailers, because they haven't. Presumably they are still somewhere between China and Barwell, or arrived at Barwell so recently that there hasn't been time to unpack them, carry out the usual random sample QC checks and then pack them up to meet the retailer orders.

We've had a review sample from Bachmann of the updated Ivatt 2MT tank for a couple of weeks. It's featured in the September issue of BRM. When the air-freighted advance samples for final checking and magazine reviews get to us, it usually means they're about six weeks away from the shops. Based on that, they are around four weeks away from going on general sale, but it's only a rough rule of thumb, subject to all sorts of external factors.

Hope this helps.

Ben

This looks a bit more like the Bachmann of five years ago. Very taken with the Coal tank, a relatively rare visitor to my chosen location but singing 'buy me, buy me' very insistently. Good characterful subject choice I feel.

Thompsons look stunning. Hopefully the tweaking to the teak effect paint will result in a more scale appearance. Looks a bit exaggerated / clumsy to my eye...

As one who never saw them in reality in the simulated teak paint, I have to rely on photos, and mostly the works photos at that. What strikes me about the paint treatment is how far they went with the simulation, with large tonal and graining variation between clearly defined 'panels', much as would have occurred naturally with a timber panelled build. It will be interesting to hear further opinions.

Archived