Bachmann & Farish half-year product update

Andy Y

The birdcages and thompson coaches look excellent, although i doubt the birdcages will sell well at £50 when the Bachmann LSWR 58' coaches are only £32-£39 and look fairly similar to the untrained eye... still... good to see Bachmann finally clearing the backlog and giving a ETA for the H2!

At £59.95 per coach a rake of the Birdcage Stock is not going to be cheap but they will look great with my SE&CR C Class! I expect the SEC&R livery will be to the same high standard as the loco!

I haven't got my Hornby rebuilt Maunsels yet and it will be interesting to put the two together in due course. What will 50% extra on RRP buy you? Time will tell!

• RMweb Gold

At £59.95 per coach a rake of the Birdcage Stock is not going to be cheap but they will look great with my SE&CR C Class! I expect the SEC&R livery will be to the same high standard as the loco!

I haven't got my Hornby rebuilt Maunsels yet and it will be interesting to put the two together in due course. What will 50% extra on RRP buy you? Time will tell!

I agree the Birdcage stock EPs look very good, with respect to comparisons between these and the Hornby ex LSWR rebuilt 58ft stock their level of detail having got mine is equally as exquisite. All in all a good time to be modeler of the Southern!

I've only shown the green one [uSA Tank] as I'm looking forward to that one arriving here soon.

Good to see those pictures. If I remember correctly, MR wasn’t quite happy with the colour and up until now, this was the only USA without a decent picture of the model on the website. It looks glorioous! I can see myself ordering a fourth variant.

• RMweb Premium

It is very pleasing to see progress on many items, especially the 158 and the 90.

But was there any updates on non-new tooling but announced items? Northern Belle 57/3, 37s etc from the catalogue back in March.

What springs straight to my mind is 32-468 171 and 32-469 170, do they now plan to re-tool them for DCC or are they waiting to see if Rapido release one?

I'm sure if you ask Andy nicely he might share some more pictures?

Teak needs "tweaking" comment in first post, this might give Bachmann ideas on what they should look like. Sadly they look like the recent Hornby Gresley post war MFI laminate efforts at the moment.

post-7186-0-99711100-1470383073.jpg

They do however look like nice mouldings!!.

• RMweb Gold

Teak needs "tweaking" comment in first post, this might give Bachmann ideas on what they should look like. Sadly they look like the recent Hornby Gresley post war MFI laminate efforts at the moment.

attachicon.gif 1 a thommo.jpg

They do however look like nice mouldings!!.

Both offered liveries are 'wrong'- they should be BR maroon ;)

Notice there was no update about the Wickham trolley delay. These were due around June, then disappeared off the expected lists, now showing as Oct/Nov, yet were in production in May. I was told by my local dealer yesterday that he was advised there was a running problem post manufacture. Whether this was identified in China or UK is uncertain. It would be helpful if Bachmann updated us on any issues with this model and what the rectification is.

The birdcages and thompson coaches look excellent, although i doubt the birdcages will sell well at £50 when the Bachmann LSWR 58' coaches are only £32-£39 and look fairly similar to the untrained eye... still... good to see Bachmann finally clearing the backlog and giving a ETA for the H2!

Looking forward to the birdcages and I will indulge in a BR and a SECR set notwithstanding the price tag!  However there were two different compos in these sets and I would have preferred the later build diagram 316 to the diagram 315, in the earlier built sets, which Bachmann are doing.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• RMweb Gold

Notice there was no update about the Wickham trolley delay. These were due around June, then disappeared off the expected lists, now showing as Oct/Nov, yet were in production in May. I was told by my local dealer yesterday that he was advised there was a running problem post manufacture. Whether this was identified in China or UK is uncertain. It would be helpful if Bachmann updated us on any issues with this model and what the rectification is.

In what way would it be useful. They found a problem, they are going to fix it and it will arrive when ready.

It's the way to do it.

Now if they had sent it out with a problem...

Well we've been there before.

Griff

In what way would it be useful. They found a problem, they are going to fix it and it will arrive when ready.

It's the way to do it.

Now if they had sent it out with a problem...

Well we've been there before.

Griff

I said it would be helpful, rather than useful. This is the first intimation I've had that there was a problem, apart from the model not appearing, and the dealer said his info was sketchy, so little info coming out from Barwell to the trade it appears. No other update has been posted in RMWeb, so it would be helpful for a more detailed update bearing in mind this is the 'half year product update' that I'm quoting. Yes Bachmann have a good history of withholding faulty products, but need to alert the trade more openly, so that they can deal with customers questions.

• RMweb Gold

I said it would be helpful, rather than useful. This is the first intimation I've had that there was a problem, apart from the model not appearing, and the dealer said his info was sketchy, so little info coming out from Barwell to the trade it appears. No other update has been posted in RMWeb, so it would be helpful for a more detailed update bearing in mind this is the 'half year product update' that I'm quoting. Yes Bachmann have a good history of withholding faulty products, but need to alert the trade more openly, so that they can deal with customers questions.

Sorry to misquote you. Of course helpful things are rarely of use and useful things are hardly ever helpful ;)

Is it a product if it's not been released I wonder?

In the past it's sometimes been known as landfill :)

Anyway I'm just waiting and seeing.

Griff

Both offered liveries are 'wrong'- they should be BR maroon ;)

No Crimson Lake & Cream is good but the teak is overdone, more subtlety required and the ends were matching teak colour rather than fully grained.

The window surrounds seem quite prominent and they would really have been better produced in the generally larger quantities that were built with round-cornered windows. Square-cornered windows stock was mainly for the East Coast route as those services was re-equipped first.

I'd really have hoped for a bit more progress on the Class 158, Class 90, Post Office Stowage and Freightliners. Are these things getting left while all the steamers come out in a steady stream?

There is information on MREmag about the 158 being delayed because Bachmann are developing a new low floor motor for it. Frustrating I suppose if you want one, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

Looking forward to the birdcages and I will indulge in a BR and a SECR set notwithstanding the price tag!  However there were two different compos in these sets and I would have preferred the later build diagram 316 to the diagram 315, in the earlier built sets, which Bachmann are doing.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

Bachmann are doing both types of composite, which one in which livery i'm not sure.

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann are doing both types of composite, which one in which livery i'm not sure.

Hi Trevor

I have not seen reference to this before. The Bachmann catalogue makes no reference to two versions of the composite and the prototype image used is that that of the diagram 315 which matches the EP now being shown.

They are of course doing a Brake Third and also a Brake Composite which is necessary to make up the 30 off Trio 'C' 3 coach sets along with the Diagram 315 composite.

Hi Trevor

I have not seen reference to this before. The Bachmann catalogue makes no reference to two versions of the composite and the prototype image used is that that of the diagram 315 which matches the EP now being shown.

They are of course doing a Brake Third and also a Brake Composite which is necessary to make up the 30 off Trio 'C' 3 coach sets along with the Diagram 315 composite.

You might be in for a nice surprise. enough said.

Looking good. The Castle is remarkable.

Just one thing - it says the 64xx is delivered but so far only 2 of the three liveries have reached the shops. Does anyone know what has happened to the BR lined green version? Are they just holding it back to help sell the other two or is there a problem?

The lined green 64xx models have now arrived (Monk Bar Models in York had them in stock yesterday)

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The hints that one picks up are interesting. On Friday 5th, MREmag has a photo of a new Bachmann Scenecraft signal box - March West Junc, which looks delightful. I don't think this has been announced before? Then on Monday a comment, informed by the presentation by Bachmann, that for those wanting more Great Eastern buildings, Scenecraft won't disappoint.

More good things to look forward to!

John

The Mk2f coaches seem to be pushed back. 

I cant remember when these we first announced but it feels like about 3 years ago.  Im sure when they arrive they will be absolutely perfect though.  The definitive aircons......where they will pitch them though on price is another story.  Id guess the dcc ones will be mid £70s retail.

The Mk2f coaches seem to be pushed back. 

I cant remember when these we first announced but it feels like about 3 years ago.  Im sure when they arrive they will be absolutely perfect though.  The definitive aircons......where they will pitch them though on price is another story.  Id guess the dcc ones will be mid £70s retail.

LOOK Mr Bachmann ^^^^^^ a lovely Class 87. Nudge Nudge wink wink

NUDGE NUDGE

Archived