Class A3 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hatton's & Heljan announce Class A3 & A4 locomotives and Gresley Teak coaches in O Gauge

A4008_cat_main.jpgflying%20scotsman.jpg

Images © Colour Rail & Hugh Llewlyn

Record breaking steam locomotives have always conjured-up images of grand trains running at speed along sweeping mainlines. One of the best companies at setting, and breaking, records was the LNER.  Two of Sir Nigel Gresley’s designs were synonymous for speed and records, the A3’s and A4’s, and both pacific classes have proved popular with the enthusiast and modeller alike.
Hatton’s have commissioned seasoned O gauge manufacturer Heljan to produce a brand new model of both the A3 & A4 classes.  They will cover the lifespan of both of these iconic classes including 4 tenders and different chimneys and domes (on the A3).  They will be manufactured to Heljan’s usual high standard with ABS plastic body and heavy chassis containing a large can motor with brass flywheels.  DCC will be catered for and haulage will be impressive, just as with the real thing.  Delivery is expected mid 2018.

Locomotive Specification:

• O gauge finescale wheels
  • Easily accessible screw terminals for DCC in tender
  • Fully painted and decorated bodyshells
  • Chemically blackened wheels
  • Separately fitted and blackened handrails
  • Screw link couplings fitted to front bufferbeams
  • Dummy buckeye coupling and separate screw link coupling for corridor tender bufferbeam
  • 5 pole motor
  • Motor in 'locomotive' section with motor in boiler and gears in firebox
  • Fully detailed and painted cab interior
  • Pipes fitted to bufferbeams
  • Air pipes included in accessory pack for relevant preserved locos
  • Mounting pieces for air pipes included for tenders
  • Speaker enclosure in tender (no speaker included)
  • Small, separately attached details
  • Designed/constructed so that it is easy to remove the body from the chassis, without damaging any loco parts
  • Correct chimney variant for livery/locomotive
  • Turned brass whistles
  • Smokebox door cover on A4 hinged with interior smokebox door behind it
  • Etched number and LNER lettering on applicable models
  • Open frames on A3
  • Inside valve gear (cosmetic)
  • Sprung front bogie
  • Water Scoop
  • Sprung buffers
  • Smokebox door dart separately fitted
  • Etched Shed plate & separately fitted smokebox door numberplate where applicable
  • Turned brass safety valves
  • Drain cocks as separate detail
  • All wheel pickup
  • Weights within boiler for maximum adhesion
  • Fluted connecting rods
  • Oily finish to connecting rods
  • Etched brass name plates
  • Oil lubricators as separately fitted details
  • No light above front bogie
  • Connecting rods - correct thickness "stamped" rods
  • Individual 'plates' on top of running board
  • Easy to use electrical coupling between locomotive and tender 

A3

Code    Title                                                                                                                                                                                                    Dates                                   Price     Link

A3001  Class A3 4-6-2 2750 “Papyrus” in LNER Grass green with unstreamlined corridor tender - “Record Breaker”                                 24/8/1934 - 27/11/1936        £750    Order here
A3002  Class A3 4-6-2 4472 “Flying Scotsman” in LNER Grass green with unstreamlined corridor tender - “Record Breaker”                   1970s-1980s                         £750    Order here
A3003  Class A3 4-6-2 2745 “Captain Cuttle” in LNER black with unstreamlined non-corridor tender                                                           22/07/1939 - 6/4/1945         £750    Order here
A3004  Class A3 4-6-2 60072 “Sunstar” in BR Express blue with unstreamlined non-corridor tender                                                           25/04/1951 - 5/6/1952          £750    Order here
A3005  Class A3 4-6-2 60035 “Windsor Lad” in BR green with early crest and unstreamlined non-corridor tender                                      16/08/1951 - 19/06/1957      £750    Order here
A3006  Class A3 4-6-2 60077 “The White Knight” in BR green with late crest and unstreamlined non-corridor tender                                 24/11/1960 - 1/2/1964          £750    Order here
A3007  Class A3 4-6-2 60103 “Flying Scotsman” in BR green with late crest and unstreamlined corridor tender                                         Current Preservation            £750    Order here

A4

Code    Title                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dates                                    Price     Link 

A4001  Class A4 4-6-2 2509 “Silver Link” in LNER silver with streamlined corridor tender                                                                             30/1/1936 - 6/12/1937          £750     Order here
A4002 Class A4 4-6-2 4468 “Mallard” in LNER Garter blue with streamlined non-corridor tender - “Record Breaker”                                   3/7/1938                               £750     Order here
A4003 Class A4 4-6-2 4468 “Mallard” in LNER Garter blue with streamlined non-corridor tender                                                                  As Preserved                        £750     Order here 
A4004 Class A4 4-6-2 4489 “Dominion of Canada” in LNER Garter blue with steel numbers/letters and unstreamlined corridor tender       2013 onwards                      £750     Order here
A4005 Class A4 4-6-2 4464 “Bittern” in LNER Garter blue with streamlined corridor tender - "Record Breaker"                                            2012 onwards                      £750     Order here
A4006 Class A4 4-6-2 60007 “Sir Nigel Gresley” in BR express blue with unstreamlined corridor tender - "Record Breaker"                        1995 onwards                      £750     Order here
A4007 Class A4 4-6-2 60012 “Commonwealth of Australia” in BR green with early crest and streamlined corridor tender                             21/11/1952 - 18/07/1958     £750     Order here
A4008 Class A4 4-6-2 60009 “Union of South Africa” in BR green with late crest and unstreamlined corridor tender                                     17/2/1960 onwards              £750     Order here
A4009 Class A4 4-6-2 60008 “Dwight D Eisenhower” in BR green with late crest and streamlined non-corridor tender                                  2012 onwards                     £750      Order here

Teak coaches

diagram175.jpg

Image © Hugh Llewlyn

These locomotives would not be complete without stock to run behind them.  The most famous coaches both of these classes hauled were the Gresley Teaks and 3 of the type will be produced by Hatton’s and Heljan to compliment the locomotives.  Built to the finest standards by the LNER they will be faithfully reproduced and scaled down to represent the coaches from introduction to withdrawal from BR. Delivery is expected late-2018.

Diagram 175 - A brake coach with 2 first class compartments and 4 3rd class compartments as well as 2 toilets (1 for each class).

Diagram 186 - An open third coach with 16 bays of seats at tables in 2+2 configuration with 2 toilets at one end of the coach.

Diagram 115 - A 7 compartment coach with 6 seats in each compartments and a toilet at each end.

Code          Title                                                                                                                                         Price    Link

TC17501    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 175 Brake Corridor Composite in LNER Teak livery                 £249    Order here
TC17502    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 175 Brake Corridor Composite in LNER Teak livery                 £249    Order here
TC17503    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 175 Brake Corridor Composite in BR carmine & cream livery  £249    Order here
TC17504    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 175 Brake Corridor Composite in BR carmine & cream livery  £249    Order here
TC17505    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 175 Brake Corridor Composite in BR maroon livery                 £249    Order here
TC17506    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 175 Brake Corridor Composite in BR maroon livery                 £249    Order here
TC18601    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 186 Open Third in LNER Teak livery                                        £249    Order here
TC18602    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 186 Open Third in LNER Teak livery                                        £249    Order here
TC18603    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 186 Open Third in BR carmine & cream livery                         £249     Order here
TC18604    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 186 Open Third in BR carmine & cream livery                         £249     Order here
TC18605    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 186 Open Third in BR maroon livery                                        £249     Order here
TC18606    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 186 Open Third in BR maroon livery                                        £249     Order here
TC11501    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 115 Corridor Third in LNER Teak livery                                    £249     Order here
TC11502    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 115 Corridor Third in LNER Teak livery                                    £249     Order here
TC11503    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 115 Corridor Third in BR carmine & cream livery                      £249    Order here
TC11504    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 115 Corridor Third in BR carmine & cream livery                      £249    Order here
TC11505    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 115 Corridor Third in BR maroon livery                                     £249    Order here
TC11506    Gresley Teak coach Diagram 115 Corridor Third in BR maroon livery                                     £249    Order here

Coach Specification

• O gauge finescale wheels
  • Fully painted and decorated bodyshells including full lining
  • Chemically blackened wheels
  • Separately fitted and blackened handrails
  • Dummy buckeye coupling and separate screw link coupling for bufferbeams
  • Fully detailed and painted interiors
  • Pipes fitted to bufferbeams
  • Small, separately attached details
  • Underframes fully detailed
  • Sprung buffers
  • Individual panels printed in teak effect (on LNER coaches)

For more information visit www.ehattons.com/recordbreakers

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Very tempting but the quoted price seems very low compared to the £650 RRP of the Prairie tank which looks as though it will be available much sooner

Would be good to know if the price is realistically what you expect to charge in 2018 based on the ever rising costs of production

• RMweb Gold

Very tempting but the quoted price seems very low compared to the £650 RRP of the Prairie tank which looks as though it will be available much sooner

Would be good to know if the price is realistically what you expect to charge in 2018 based on the ever rising costs of production

Hi Ryde

The price quoted is the selling price that will be charged in 2018, there are no price changes for our exclusive commissions.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I applaud Hatton's and Heljan for these. The locos are keenly priced in comparison with DJH & brass RTR, even with kits once all accessories purchased. The coaches will also meet a market need. They are a bit big for me (except as statics) but will capture lots of interest.

Dava

Great news. As a Heljan stockist it's a pity I can't supply them but Kudos to Hattons for commissioning this run. I'm even interested in a certain Famous apple green loco at that cost!!

I hope these sell very well.

I could also use one or two coaches.

Edited, just ordered a Flying Scotsman !! Plus a coach!

Edited by steve fay

Hi Ryde

The price quoted is the selling price that will be charged in 2018, there are no price changes for our exclusive commissions.

Cheers

Dave

That's very bold in such an uncertain world. But I really do wish you good luck with these.

I wonder if I'll be able to resist an A4 in LNER "grass" green?

Paul

I would be sorely tempted for a rake of these coaches if I didn't already have a rake of Sparmac kits to build!  Maybe I could be persuaded for 1 or 2.....???

Just as an aside, dia 115 is actually an 8 compartment corridor third, not 7 compartment as described above.

Donald

On the subject of record breakers, any chance of a City of Truro & a rake of clerestories in 7mm too? :)

I do wish Hattons and Heljan well with this - I'm sure good quality RTR will help 7mm modellers of all persuasions.

Best

Simon

• Like 3

The price for the Locos is really keen making it look good at the moment with the Aus $ faring well against the £ but if the $-to-£ goes back to pre Brexit values by 2018 will be again effectively double in price for us poor Down under cousins.

Would really like a A3 in Apple Green, similar to how Scotsman ran when she visited Australia "atleast I can justify running this on my Ozzy O scale railway".

Plus A4 Commonwealth of Australia would be a nice shelf sitter

Whilst it has worked £-to-$ nicely for the latest Hattons J94 release in OO saving me plenty on the expected price from pre order to delivery.

It's a gamble to know what the real price will be in the future for export sales, not such a big gamble on a £98 OO model but on a couple of O scale £750 loco's

Hmmm what to do.

The price for the Locos is really keen making it look good at the moment with the Aus $ faring well against the £ but if the $-to-£ goes back to pre Brexit values by 2018 will be again effectively double in price for us poor Down under cousins.

Would really like a A3 in Apple Green, similar to how Scotsman ran when she visited Australia "atleast I can justify running this on my Ozzy O scale railway".

Plus A4 Commonwealth of Australia would be a nice shelf sitter

Whilst it has worked £-to-$ nicely for the latest Hattons J94 release in OO saving me plenty on the expected price from pre order to delivery.

It's a gamble to know what the real price will be in the future for export sales, not such a big gamble on a £98 OO model but on a couple of O scale £750 loco's

Hmmm what to do.

That's my concern too.

Because although I am sure that the pound will recover in due course I think that the Aussie Dollar is about to take a beating. If that happens the price of these by 2018 could end up 1500 or 1600 dollars or more (not forgetting that by 2018 , privately imported goods will no longer be VAT/GST free)

What do you think Hattons, a Pay in advance option for overseas buyers?

Back on topic, They sound like they will be amazing and I've never been more tempted, I really want that Commonwealth of Australia. But will probably roll the dice, hope they don't all get presold and see if there are any left to buy on release.

Either way I think they will be very popular.

• RMweb Premium

Wow , well done Hattons!  Who could believe such models would be available at such value (if you compare against Heljans big diesels and forthcoming Prairie). You deserve nothing but success for this initiative .  Unfortunately I've no space for an "O"  layout and although I fancy Papyrus £750 is an expensive ornament.  I wonder if this will appeal to model railway club members though, maybe having access to "O" layout even if no space for their own.

Can I suggest you maybe change title of thread to New Product Announcement: ...........     Maybe its me but I was unaware of announcement until I saw it on MRE mag. To me its not obvious from title of thread  " The record breakers" that two new locos and a range of coaches are announced

Edited by Legend