Class A3 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

It's a stunning model but, as with many models, the expansion link is very two dimensional. Would be nice to see it both sides of the radius rod and chunkier.

I have my name in one tho'.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Two issues regarding the body of the A3

1) The double chimney does not look right, rather flat looking

2) Smokeflectors are sitting too high on the smokebox and maybe a tad too long. Having said that even the ones on Flying Scotsman are not totally correct

Still enough here to get a bit excited about

Edited by Silverstreak

Very excited by this as I don't even really model in 0 but have just put down an order for two A3s.

This is probably too early days to answer but out of curiosity Dave (or anyone from Hatton's) might a GNR loading gauge A1 be on the cards down the road? If not I might see about substituting the cab and some of the other features but obviously I wouldn't be keen to do that if there were plans to expand this range.

Edited by steves17

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A question for anyone knowledgable - the version of 60103 with the German smoke deflectors - is that as its running in preservation, or as they ran in BR days?  Ie could it be renamed and numbered and still look right for the 1950s/1960s?

Rich

• RMweb Premium

A question for anyone knowledgable - the version of 60103 with the German smoke deflectors - is that as its running in preservation, or as they ran in BR days? Ie could it be renamed and numbered and still look right for the 1950s/1960s?

Rich

Looks to be as preserved now. However H7-A3-006 is identical, but depicts 60077. Could be a possible starting point. Edited by Hilux5972

Guest spet0114

A question for anyone knowledgable - the version of 60103 with the German smoke deflectors - is that as its running in preservation, or as they ran in BR days?  Ie could it be renamed and numbered and still look right for the 1950s/1960s?

Rich

Does it have a corridor tender?  If yes, then preservation. If no, then BR.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all!

A number of views are included below as well as both types of seating (the original 'Bucket' seating and the BR-fitted seats will be fitted to appropriate models). We've spotted a small number of items that need amending but these will be sorted shortly and followed by CADs for the remaining two types.

Also, we've confirmed details of specific running numbers we intend to portray, with each coach being supplied with both numbered and unnumbered versions in the three liveries we are portraying:-

Dave

Hi Dave,

Has any thought been given to working with somebody like Railtec Transfers on producing a transfer sheet (either with the un-numbered models) or available as a separate purchase for those of us that want to have other numbers?  There appears to be so much detail and thought gone into these, it would be a shame if that final part is not considered??

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

The Gresley coaches look very nice - but I know little about them. Do those more knowledgeable rate them highly in terms of accuracy?

The images look 'right' as representations of the typical items seen in service, because they get the subtle and elegant shaping of the side profile and roof in particular. Rather like the A4 casings which were cut out on template outlines reputedly chalked on the Crimpsall floor and hand hand panel beaten; the coach bodies were rather 'organic', what with being hand assemblies from tree wood by coachbuilders.

Hattons would be mad not to go on and offer 4mm versions in my opinion. No overlap with what's presently available in affordable OO RTR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Just in case you didn't know, a few of us will be heading down to Telford for Guildex 2017 this weekend.

We'll be on Stand 120 and will be showing the current status for all of our O Gauge projects, including the 3D print for the A3.

Please feel free to come over to see how everything is getting on and ask any questions you may have wanted to ask but never got around to.

We'll be around all day on Saturday and Sunday.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

After a great weekend at Guildex (thanks to all who called by!) work has continued on all projects. The first development we can show is the completed 3D print of the A4.

This model is printed from the CAD files of H7-A4-009 (60008 "Dwight D Eisenhower") with streamlined non-corridor tender.

As ever, I'll let the pictures do the talking but please let us know what you think. More details on the specific A4s being produced are available on the main website Here.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-89133400-1505485884_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-86257700-1505485892_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-88752100-1505485880_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-90094900-1505485905_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-51941700-1505485901_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-97116400-1505485888_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-74505200-1505485873_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-73265400-1505485876_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm afraid the nose is still incorrect in its setting out. The radius point of the main casing should be higher than the radius point of the buffer casing - which means that the main casing protrudes forward from the buffer casing in a very distinctive way. You have the radius point at the same level, which gives a flatter face.

I suspect the nose may still be wide a the bottom, but without a frontal view, it's rather difficult to tell.

Sorry to be negative - but such a nice thing deserves to be right!

36846545010_0a4d932baa_b.jpg2017-09-15_05-36-03 by giles favell, on Flickr

37072551852_b9c3bf962a_b.jpg2017-09-15_05-35-42 by giles favell, on Flickr

36846974920_6135675451_b.jpg20170915_180501 by giles favell, on Flickr

Eisenhower appears to have had unsupported drain-cock piping throughout its history, unlike Dominion on Canads, who did have this feature as modelled.

Edited by Giles
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid the nose is still incorrect in its setting out. The radius point of the main casing should be higher than the radius point of the buffer casing - which means that the main casing protrudes forward from the buffer casing in a very distinctive way. You have the radius point at the same level, which gives a flatter face.

I suspect the nose may still be wide a the bottom, but without a frontal view, it's rather difficult to tell.

Sorry to be negative - but such a nice thing deserves to be right!

Hi Giles, thanks for the feedback.

There's no need to be sorry and we certainly do welcome the feedback. We're just as concerned with making sure the unquestionably iconic shape is faithfully reproduced.

I'll certainly be looking further in to the points you have raised once I'm back in the office.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the various photos the issue in the nose (protuberancegate?) is accentuated by the valances which sweep back quite noticeably immediately above the buffers on the real thing with the apex of the curve where the buffers come out. On the model its a fairly even curve with the apex well above the buffer. Easier to see than describe! Both mock ups looking pretty good though.

Edited by Hal Nail

Again, respect and kudos to Hattons for their approach to this.

No signs of "I'm cross because someone thought it could be better", simply, "thanks for the info, we can make this fantastic", and despite having no credible cause to buy one, I really hope that these models are fantastic!

Go for it, guys!

Best

Simon