Class A3 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

I got my Heljan 43XX class Mogul yesterday and discovered problems with one particular point where obviously the radius is too small for the given loco-tender distance. Now I found out that there's the possibility to alter the gap by choosing another of the 3 holes in the drawbar. Isn't that a bit stone-age?

I own O scale tender locos of the German manufacturer Lenz which have a very short (and prototypical) loco-tender distance when on a straight track but widening when passing through curved tracks. This works with dove-tail ducts which allow the coupling to veer in curves.

On top of that coupling and un-coupling loco and tender is a piece of cake - smooth and simple indeed.

What do you think, is it possible that we get a similar modern solution with the A3/A4 models as well, instead of an outdated solid peace of brass between loco and tender?

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We have received three further decorated samples of our forthcoming Class A3, depicting the model in BR green including 60103 "Flying Scotsman" in its current guise. The samples feature a revised shade of BR green and full running board lining. All samples of our Class A3s will be on show at the London Festival of Railway Modelling at Alexandra Palace this weekend.

As ever, do let us know what you think!

Cheers,

Dave

H7-A3-005_RMWeb.jpg.96b1b6c786d49e3633864e163b54ebc2.jpg

H7-A3-005 - 60035 "Windsor Lad" in BR green with early emblem and unstreamlined non-corridor tender - £750

H7-A3-006_RMWeb.jpg.61ec6b226fb4e3f60a479674530615ba.jpg
H7-A3-006 - 60077 "The White Knight" in BR green with late crest and unstreamlined non-corridor tender - £750

H7-A3-007_RMWeb.jpg.6cd819e9d0c0b78de2c0295dbc113dd8.jpg
H7-A3-007 - 60103 "Flying Scotsman" in BR green with late crest and unstreamlined corridor tender - £750

• Like 4

Just a question, but would the handrail be the same colour as the paint in the same proximity?

I mean, the rail over the boiler cladding is green, over the smokebox is black ... is this right?

I've sort-of accepted this as 'a compromise but should be shiny steel' with the OO, but with larger O-gauge, there's an opportunity to correct this, if it does need correcting.

Al.

On 13/02/2019 at 14:29, MarshLane said:

Random thought .. but I've never noticed how 'squashed in' the word Railways appears on these style of crests?  I know the text spacing was more compressed on the word 'Railways' than 'British' to see the symetical approach to either side, but is it really right?

Rich

I have a BR drawing via the old OPC service which shows the 'ear' boxes unequal lengths. Could possibly be reproduction distortion I suppose?

The Nim.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

We have had some of the final samples of the Class A3s delivered and we have tested them extensively both on our own test track and on Pete Waterman’s “Leamington Spa” layout, which you can see in the video below.

On the whole they looked and performed beautifully, handling the realistic trains on Pete’s layout with ease.

We have found a few small problems which will need rectifying before we can finalise the production and this means there will be a slight delay to the release.

The new date for the release of the A3s will be August 2019.

The A4s and Teaks will also be slightly delayed and we will provide an update on them in due course.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hattons Dave
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

They do look nice, but the two-dimensioned expansion link isn't really too acceptable, not in this scale, is it?

Mind, someone with a bit of nous could design and market a nice etched fold up, or cast one...and maybe the radius rod too?

Edited by JeffP

On 13/06/2019 at 16:40, JeffP said:

They do look nice, but the two-dimensioned expansion link isn't really too acceptable, not in this scale, is it?

Mind, someone with a bit of nous could design and market a nice etched fold up, or cast one...and maybe the radius rod too?

Yes someone might think that they will sell enough to make it worthwhile to ptoduce.... but why.

From recent released images it would appear that the cylinder drain cocks set up unique only to Flying Scotsman appear on all of the  LNER and BR examples

Such inaccuracies should not be there in the first place irrespective of the scale or price point

Edited by Sun Chariot
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Slightly confused as to when these and the A4's and the Teaks will hit the shops?

In the flyer given out at GCR it says August 2020 for the A3's and Q4 2020 for the A4's and the Teaks. I suspect this is a typo?

But Hattons website says August 2019 for the A3's and between June 2019 & July 2019 for the A4's (I suspect this will not be happening given we have not seen a fully decorated loco yet?) and between July 2019 & August 2019 for the Teaks?

Cheers, Ade.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, thanks to everyone who came to see us on the stand at Quorn over the weekend, it was great for people to get the chance to see our O Gauge projects in the flesh.

On 16/06/2019 at 18:07, Hilux5972 said:

@Hattons Dave will the locomotives have the correct cylinder drain cock pipes? They all have the style that 60103 carries in preservation. Would be good to see the correct versions on the other locomotives.

With so much variation in the cylinder drain cocks we've tooled up the version that is most easily modified in to other configurations if so desired.

14 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Slightly confused as to when these and the A4's and the Teaks will hit the shops?

In the flyer given out at GCR it says August 2020 for the A3's and Q4 2020 for the A4's and the Teaks. I suspect this is a typo?

But Hattons website says August 2019 for the A3's and between June 2019 & July 2019 for the A4's (I suspect this will not be happening given we have not seen a fully decorated loco yet?) and between July 2019 & August 2019 for the Teaks?

Cheers, Ade.

Apologies for the confusion here Ade. The brochure did indeed have a typo for the O Gauge projects.

The A3s are due to arrive in August 2019, A4s and Teaks will follow on slightly later in the year. We'll be able to provide a more accurate timescale closer to release.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Thanks 1