Class A3 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

Mine has been a bloody nightmare and not even run yet, out of the box smoke deflector off and a piece of plastic I haven't identified yet, drivers side window out and both window deflectors in the box the plate that goes between the tender and loco, tags broke off and then the second smoke deflector came off. you have to handle it with `cotton wool gloves` if there was such a thing. I am in Oz so I have to try and  get these things back on. Hattons were very good when I had a couple of windows out on a mk1coach  they replaced them I wonder when there will be spares for the A3 mine is Flying Scotsman my next is an A4 Sir Nigel Gresley I will be making some `Cotton Wool gloves for when he comes.

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, kiwitrains said:

Mine has been a bloody nightmare and not even run yet, out of the box smoke deflector off and a piece of plastic I haven't identified yet, drivers side window out and both window deflectors in the box the plate that goes between the tender and loco, tags broke off and then the second smoke deflector came off. you have to handle it with `cotton wool gloves` if there was such a thing. I am in Oz so I have to try and  get these things back on. Hattons were very good when I had a couple of windows out on a mk1coach  they replaced them I wonder when there will be spares for the A3 mine is Flying Scotsman my next is an A4 Sir Nigel Gresley I will be making some `Cotton Wool gloves for when he comes.

hi kiwitrains, I’m in Halls Head, had exactly the same problems with my FS plus the issue with the rods becoming detached when running in. I also had the A4 on pre order but in the end dispute the hassle of re packing it, sent it back to Hattons for full refund which they did within 48hrs of its arrival plus a full refund on return postage, some $98.00. Can’t fault their service. I have also cancelled the A4 for the time being.

So sorry to hear you have cancelled and returned. I have not run mine yet no 0 gauge layout but I am taking it to club today to run it hope the rods stay on. Will let you know.

Tried on layout and con rod came off and the front bogie would not stay on the track, going to contact Hattons

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Franzburg said:

Some more detailing. New correct smokedoor handles and LNER lamps. ( Colour red on locos aand brake vans until early thirties)

Rgds

Bernd

37698558qw.jpg

May I ask from where did you source the replacement smokebox door handle (Dart) Looks a nice casting

Regards

Bob

Guest Isambarduk
1 hour ago, Franzburg said:

New correct smokedoor handles

Just a point: the smokebox dart is positioned by the inner, shorter handle, so it that handle should always be poining (very nearly) vertically downwards.  The outer, longer handles is the locking handle and could, in principle, finish up anywhere but, if you look at photos, they are mostly pointing 'somewhat' downwards.  David

2 hours ago, Franzburg said:

Some more detailing. New correct smokedoor handles and LNER lamps. ( Colour red on locos aand brake vans until early thirties)

Rgds

Bernd

37698558qw.jpg

Never heard of Red lamps on any LNER Loco at any period of time ?

2 hours ago, Sun Chariot said:

May I ask from where did you source the replacement smokebox door handle (Dart) Looks a nice casting

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

it`s from Laurie Griffin and a bit worked at by me.

Bernd

1 hour ago, Isambarduk said:

Just a point: the smokebox dart is positioned by the inner, shorter handle, so it that handle should always be poining (very nearly) vertically downwards.  The outer, longer handles is the locking handle and could, in principle, finish up anywhere but, if you look at photos, they are mostly pointing 'somewhat' downwards.  David

Hi David,

that`s what I did. Different from Heljan.

37702299zg.jpg

The GW certainly used red loco lamps from 1903 or 1915 until Collet’s memo of 22/12/36, and presumably for months and maybe years afterwards.  They were black before 1903.  I’ve never heard of the LNER doing so.

atb

Simon

• Agree 1

Had to waste time while my wife’s car was being serviced and dropped in to “ The Works “.

Found this, it must be one of the best loco books I now have!

Reduced from £22.99 to £7.00 and they had lots of them!
Sorry image rotated but you will get the message. 
Rgds

Brian W

50E658B0-791C-4F3F-A785-B2EFD04E1E00.jpeg.5f98ca89b40a0110b743e41d0d39e84a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 14/01/2020 at 12:26, kiwitrains said:

So sorry to hear you have cancelled and returned. I have not run mine yet no 0 gauge layout but I am taking it to club today to run it hope the rods stay on. Will let you know.

Tried on layout and con rod came off and the front bogie would not stay on the track, going to contact Hattons

not good news, but at least it’s happened sooner than later and you have been able to return it to Hattons. Will you be having a replacement or cancelling it?

if you do get a replacement your welcome to run it on mine or my mates layout.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Meanwhile I had asked the chairmann of LNER Society about lamp  colour and must say sorry for having relied on only one wrong source before !

As I didn`t like Heljan`s bogie wheels ( too coarse and not really prototypical) I replaced them by Slater`s 10 spoke A3 wheels , but was more difficult as I had thought, because of different axle diameters : 3mm to 4,76 mm. I made a "control gauge " from brass and filed the holes out. Drilling wasn`t possible as the axle holes were open downside. 

Rgds

37900457hs.jpg

37900462po.jpg

37900467jl.jpg

37913412st.jpg

Edited by Franzburg
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

As Brian (Bribri) had shown I `ve tried to have a little firebox flickering flame , but without doing the wiring job. So I ordered a Firebox Lighting kit from Train-Tech . Though it`s not perfect or perhaps as good as a wired firebox flicker I´m quite happy with it.

"A low power microprocessor constantly monitors a tiny sensor which can detect small amounts of motion. When motion is detectedit flashes LEDuntilno motion is sensedfor 4minutes, then turns off the LED to save power and back to mnitoring."

Rgds

Bernd

38009243fz.jpg

38040284cx.jpg

Edited by Franzburg
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1