Class A3 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Help- A3 ‘Flying Scotsman’ could anyone tell me where the following part goes and how does the the fall plate fit when the lugs are the wrong way around. The other problem I have got is how to fit the link couplings to the tender in place of the kadee type.
thank you in anticipation 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I did away with those tiny and almost useless folded over brass lugs on the fallplate after one came off. 

I removed the other one and replaced them with longer ones made from steel and simply glued in place. Much easier now to locate and stay in place.

The seat you can just glue back into place.

Cheers, Ade.

A3 Fallplate mod.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Have a look at your model. There is already a hook there, no need to add or remove anything if you are using three link couplings or screw link couplings. It is partly hidden by the corridor connection.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.

20200531_154626.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just to keep you up to date with my dilemma regarding the A3 I have had Three Flying Scotsman and all have been faulty First one the running gear collapsed second one would not run seemed to be seized and the third four of the 6 wheels were buckled, all of them had parts dropping off too many to mention here. I am waiting now for instructions from Hattons on the return of #3. The problem I have I live in Western Australia and as far as I know there is nobody can repair these and I cannot do it myself  I suggested they send me a complete new chassis as if I get a complete loco  I have taxes of some sort to pay. Anyway I am not having another complete one. One point is I purchased an A4 `Sir Nigel Greasley` and it is perfect . We will see what happens this time.

I am in the US.  Based on the discussions here, I would not purchase the Heljan Scotsman.  I do not want pieces breaking off.  I have acquired a Sunset models 2-rail brass A3 unlettered.  Does anyone have an opinion on these?  What would be the most popular loco name to use other than Flying Scotsman?

Guest Isambarduk
On 11/08/2020 at 17:53, johnhutnick said:

I have acquired a Sunset models 2-rail brass A3 unlettered. 

Hmm.  Well I hope it is better than mine was when I acquired it.

On my webpage about Royal Lancer, I wrote:

"Recognising that I would never have time to build all the locomotives and rolling stock that I would like and that I did not know so much about the LNER, I decided to order a ready-to-run A1 from Sunset Models when they were announced in 2005.  My model was eventually delivered late in 2007 but I was somewhat disappointed to discover that it was a very poor runner with an intermittent short and that it had a number of components that were damaged or that had broken free in transit.  Scott Mann at Sunset Models is a friendly chap and he did try to offer advice when I saw him at shows but he was unable to help in practice. Peter Dawson of Kemilway, the UK importer, did not wish to know so, in the end, it was down to me to sort out the problems.  None of them was difficult to correct but I found it a bit hair-raising working on a fully painted model to which David Studley had superbly added the numbers and corrected the lining.

There was also a problem with the on-board Quantum QSI electronic control and sound system, which periodically shorted out bringing the train to a sudden and complete stand whilst the acceleration function restarted and the train slowly moved off once more.  I disconnected the motor from the control system, to revert to traditional DC control, and the loco actually performs far better without the control system, so I have left it this way. I did find the source of the intermittent short but I decided not to restore the sound."

image.png.d21a0f53269b17b3a93aa7780a353037.png

Although I could fill in a bit more here, I thought it prudent not to write too much on my website!

David

39 minutes ago, Isambarduk said:

Hmm.  Well I hope it is better than mine was when I acquired it.

On my webpage about Royal Lancer, I wrote:

"Recognising that I would never have time to build all the locomotives and rolling stock that I would like and that I did not know so much about the LNER, I decided to order a ready-to-run A1 from Sunset Models when they were announced in 2005.  My model was eventually delivered late in 2007 but I was somewhat disappointed to discover that it was a very poor runner with an intermittent short and that it had a number of components that were damaged or that had broken free in transit.  Scott Mann at Sunset Models is a friendly chap and he did try to offer advice when I saw him at shows but he was unable to help in practice. Peter Dawson of Kemilway, the UK importer, did not wish to know so, in the end, it was down to me to sort out the problems.  None of them was difficult to correct but I found it a bit hair-raising working on a fully painted model to which David Studley had superbly added the numbers and corrected the lining.

There was also a problem with the on-board Quantum QSI electronic control and sound system, which periodically shorted out bringing the train to a sudden and complete stand whilst the acceleration function restarted and the train slowly moved off once more.  I disconnected the motor from the control system, to revert to traditional DC control, and the loco actually performs far better without the control system, so I have left it this way. I did find the source of the intermittent short but I decided not to restore the sound."

image.png.d21a0f53269b17b3a93aa7780a353037.png

Although I could fill in a bit more here, I thought it prudent not to write too much on my website!

David

Looks very nice, however the Tender wheels on your site show green they should be all black.

If you check US Ebay completed listings, this is what I bought:  item number 154023179744,  Sunset 2-Rail British Gresley Flying Scotsman Steam Engine F/P O-SCALE.

It was listed as needing work.  Writing to the Seller, the gearbox, etc. is original.  I figured that for the price, I could fix it.  

Regarding the comment from micklner, the tender wheels are green.  For me in the US, this is of little concern.

I would appreciate it if someone could suggest what would be a popular name.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have been doing further research.  The Sunset model has a corridor tender, as you may see in the Ebay listing photos.  From what I read, LNER made 10 corridor tenders:

http://www.doncasterworksrecords.org.uk/Part-28.html

This shows corridor tenders  built in 1926 allocated to 2743-2752.   Then it lists actual engine numbers 4472/76, 2573/80/46/69/56 and 2743-45.  I figured that there must be some LNER experts here who can tell me what loco numbers/names actually used a corridor tender.   The SS model has spoked tender wheels, which is earlier.

Guest Isambarduk
23 hours ago, micklner said:

the Tender wheels on your site show green they should be all black.

That's how Sunset Models must have painted them and David Studley (expert painter of locos LNER) did not alter them ... so that's the way they'll stay.  But thanks for your comments, anyway.   David

Papyrus. Sir fredrick banbury.  Had corridor tenders. As for names blenhieme.  Geltymore . trigo Doncaster.  Night of thistle. Merry Hampton. Call boy. Flying fox.prince palatin. Spearmint  .lemberge. come to mind.all nice names well I think so 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, jay*bobble said:

Papyrus. Sir fredrick banbury.  Had corridor tenders. As for names blenhieme.  Geltymore . trigo Doncaster.  Night of thistle. Merry Hampton. Call boy. Flying fox.prince palatin. Spearmint  .lemberge. come to mind.all nice names well I think so 

It would probably be more helpful if the names were spelt properly. 
Blenheim

Galtee More

Knight of Thistle

Prince Palatine

Lemberg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

For everyone's interest, I had the following in a message from the LNER Society.

Below is the list of A3’s that never had the corridor tender with spoked wheels

2747 Coronach

2748 Colorado

2751 Humorist

2595 Trigo

2596 Manna

2597 Gainsborough

2598 Blenheim

2599 Book Law

2795 Call Boy

2797 Cicero

2500 Windsor Lad

2502 Hyperion

2503 Firduassi

2504 Sandwich

2505 Cameronian

2507 Singapore

You have to be careful with any of the rest because the tenders were only attached when they were on the Non-Stop Flying Scotsman allocation

Full details are in Yeadon’s Register of LNER locomotives Volume 1.

After reviewing what I can find online, my conclusion is that for me, I will use PAPYRUS, figuring that would be the second most famous A3 after Scotsman, based on the 1935 speed run.  There is a Locos in Profile print showing this loco with a spoked corridor tender.  Also, in gettyimages.com I found the original LNER photo showing PAPYRUS in this configuration.

Also, I checked a Sunset 3-rail Scotsman that I have, and it uses solid tender wheels.

And amusingly, American English uses spelled instead of spelt.

• 2 months later...

Seen on Hattons web site today. Looks like a return due to gear problems. Pity about the design and build quality though.

Heljan  H7-A3-002-PO
O Gauge (1:43 Scale)
Class A3 4-6-2 4472 "Flying Scotsman" in LNER Grass green with unstreamlined corridor tender - "Record Breaker" - Pre-owned - sold as seen - motor runs but slipping gears - Good box