Class A3 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

The light is good today, so a few quick snaps of 2750 "Papyrus" before I go out to work on the cabin.

I have added the brake gear from the detail pack, but have yet to fit the fall plate between the footplate and tender. I will be adding a removable real coal load. My pet hate is plastic coal!

Cheers, Ade.

20191110_105409.jpg

2750 Papyrus front.jpg

2750_Papyrus_side_view.jpg

2750_Papyrus_Tender.jpg

2750_Papyrus_value_gear.jpg

2750 Papyrus.jpg

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 minutes ago, Franzburg said:

Can anyone say anything about running performance?  Perhaps about slow speed,too.         Bernd

It’s quite good on DCC. Speed step 1 is a crawl and I don’t like locos that leap away at speed step 1. CV2 is set at 5

• Like 1

2 hours ago, two tone green said:

It’s quite good on DCC. Speed step 1 is a crawl and I don’t like locos that leap away at speed step 1. CV2 is set at 5

Thanks a lot !    Especially good to hear its performance at speed step 1!               Bernd

Edited by Franzburg

42 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Sorry to see that.

How did it happen - just normal operation?

Al.

Yes. Was running it in on a rolling road at half speed and had been running for about 40 mins when I heard a odd noise and saw the rod hanging down. The penning looks to have worn off the rivet that holds it onto the other link. 

Will contact Hattons tomorrow. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

The light is good today, so a few quick snaps of 2750 "Papyrus" before I go out to work on the cabin.

I have added the brake gear from the detail pack, but have yet to fit the fall plate between the footplate and tender. I will be adding a removable real coal load. My pet hate is plastic coal!

Cheers, Ade.

2750 Papyrus.jpg

Mmmm looks very nice Adrian.  A growing fan on the LNER Apple Green livery.  Certainly Papyrus looks right at home there already!  Are the nameplates etched brass ones or screen printed flat ones?  If the latter, they are good as I cannot tell with any certainty on the pictures!

Rich

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Cheers, Ade.

20191110_105409.jpg

2750 Papyrus front.jpg

2750_Papyrus_side_view.jpg

2750_Papyrus_Tender.jpg

2750_Papyrus_value_gear.jpg

2750 Papyrus.jpg

I presume this is pre war ? .

Bogie Wheels not lined out . Tender Wheels should be Black not Green. Wrong Cylinder Draincocks. Front top of the Frames should be lined out in Red. Front Steps missing depending on year . Speedo is a BR fitting.

Edit. Rear of Tender top and bottom should be lined out as per the sides.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think we all buy rtr models in the knowledge they are not exact. They all have compromises due to the huge variation of steam in the real world and the fact manufacturing one of models is hugely expensive. An expert modeller once said to me, Give me a photo of the engine you want as that is the only way of making it perfect. And then it will only be perfect for the day of the photo as things got interchanged so regularly. I think the Hattons models given a great impression of the model and certainly a 100 times better than Anything I could ever hope to make. The fact it’s 4x cheaper than anything else rtr or Commission built is a real bonus. 
the model looks great Adrian and thank you for posting some phots. You are rightly proud of her.
 I’m certainly looking forward to my flying Scotsman arriving next week despite the many incorrect parts it would seem. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mick, thanks for the info. All good to know.

Tony Wright did mention the speedo in the Hattons video which I plan I taking on taking off. The lining on the wheels was also mentioned but was a tech issue due to printing onto plastic. I reckon i might try and do this myself? The tender wheels in black would be an easy fix.

But like all things it comes down to money and what can be done for the price.

Cheers, Ade.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Mick, thanks for the info. All good to know.

Tony Wright did mention the speedo in the Hattons video which I plan I taking on taking off. The lining on the wheels was also mentioned but was a tech issue due to printing onto plastic. I reckon i might try and do this myself? The tender wheels in black would be an easy fix.

But like all things it comes down to money and what can be done for the price.

Cheers, Ade.

Strange re the wheel lining as Hornby/Bachmann have been printing on plastic without obvious problems for a long time. Fox do a 4mm LNER wheel transfer set ,no idea if available for 7mm , try looking for Flying Scotsman on a search there.

All of the items I have picked up on are quite simple and cheap to do correctly , if done as the Loco is made, a lot harder to do afterwards.

I dont consider any additional costs should be giving Heljan excuses/reasons, for not to do it properly in the first  place. They are still selling it for £750 a tidy sum to be asking IMHO.

Papyrus will also need front steps (lined red) /draincocks , I am sure one of the aftermarket 7mm sellers will have them for a reasonable price.

cheers Mick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, micklner said:

Strange re the wheel lining as Hornby/Bachmann have been printing on plastic without obvious problems for a long time. Fox do a 4mm LNER wheel transfer set ,no idea if available for 7mm , try looking for Flying Scotsman on a search there.

All of the items I have picked up on are quite simple and cheap to do correctly , if done as the Loco is made, a lot harder to do afterwards.

I dont consider any additional costs should be giving Heljan excuses/reasons, for not to do it properly in the first  place. They are still selling it for £750 a tidy sum to be asking IMHO.

Papyrus will also need front steps (lined red) /draincocks , I am sure one of the aftermarket 7mm sellers will have them for a reasonable price.

cheers Mick

Front steps only from 1935 onwards and draincocks can be ordered from Laurie Griffin!

Cheers Bernd

http://www.lgminiatures.co.uk/product/10-006-lner-gresley-locomotives-a1a3a4p1-etc/

http://www.lgminiatures.co.uk/product/10-005-lner-gresley-locomotives-a1a3a4p1-etc/

Edited by Franzburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just spoken with the very nice people at Hattons and they want the loco back but without all the DCC equipment fitted. 

As I work away from home it will be this coming weekend when I can get it sorted out to send off. Will give me chance to take photos of the insides so show the gearbox arrangement. 

• Thanks 1