Class A3 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

Hi Dave

Somewhat off topic as it's GW & 4mm but when are the 1361 & 1366 coming out?

I ask, only as when they do, I'm sure a sound project will be economically viable, and I want sound decoders for my 7mm versions!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Somewhat off topic as it's GW & 4mm but when are the 1361 & 1366 coming out?

I ask, only as when they do, I'm sure a sound project will be economically viable, and I want sound decoders for my 7mm versions!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Neither the 1361 or 1366's are exclusive Hatton's projects so full info on these will be in relevant parts of the forum. As far as I'm aware though, the 1366's are now released.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi all!

Hot on the heels of the first A3 CADs last week, we've received the initial CADs for the Diagram 186 Tourist Third Open.

A number of views are included below as well as both types of seating (the original 'Bucket' seating and the BR-fitted seats will be fitted to appropriate models). We've spotted a small number of items that need amending but these will be sorted shortly and followed by CADs for the remaining two types.

Also, we've confirmed details of specific running numbers we intend to portray, with each coach being supplied with both numbered and unnumbered versions in the three liveries we are portraying:-

Diagram 115 - Third Corridor

Diagram 175 - Brake Composite Corridor

Diagram 186 - Tourist Third Open

post-28458-0-36078700-1484228135_thumb.jpg
post-28458-0-29364100-1484228137_thumb.jpg
post-28458-0-22318600-1484228138_thumb.jpg
post-28458-0-71770800-1484228138_thumb.jpg
post-28458-0-78006700-1484228139_thumb.jpg
post-28458-0-27072300-1484228140_thumb.jpg

Full details can be seen Here.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We have just received the final CADs for the A3s locomotives and as ever are putting up these up here for review. Bear in mind these pictures are pretty hefty in size, so click the thumbnails to get (far) larger versions! The A4 CADs are advancing and will be posted here as soon as we have them.

A full breakdown of variations and further CAD images are available on the main website HERE.

Cheers,

Dave

A3Specs&Cutaways.jpg
7H-A3-001_CAD1.jpg
7H-A3-001_CAD5.jpg
7H-A3-005_CAD3.jpg

7H-A3-006_CAD3.jpg
7H-A3-007_CAD4.jpg
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Not professing any expertise but the cylinder drain cocks on all versions appear to be the type fitted to 4472 after the first Tony Marchington sponsored overhaul rather than the LNER type appropriate to all A3's (including 4472 pre 2000). 

• RMweb Gold

Not professing any expertise but the cylinder drain cocks on all versions appear to be the type fitted to 4472 after the first Tony Marchington sponsored overhaul rather than the LNER type appropriate to all A3's (including 4472 pre 2000). 

Hi Mike,

Well spotted! We have currently logged four different types of these and 4472 has had further examples fitted in preservation. Unfortunately we have to stick with one type of these on the model, and as the type currently carried by 4472 is similar to the more-common LNER type, we chose to recreate this.

For those who wish to modify them, it is easier to reduce the length of the pipes than add to them hence our choice of the longer samples.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Hot on the heels of the final A3 CADs are the final CADs for all three diagrams of Gresley Teak coach that we are producing. These have been checked over to ensure details are correct however, as always, they're also now up here for you to view. As per the A3 we've left these at FULL size and clicking the images will show larger versions.

Full details of the vehicles including running number and livery variations are available on the main website Here.

Cheers,

Dave

Diagram 115 - corridor third.

115_cad_1.jpg115_cad_2.jpg115_cad_3.jpg

Diagram 175 - Brake corridor composite

175_cad_1.jpg175_cad_2.jpg175_cad_3.jpg

Diagram 186 - Open third

186_cad_1.jpg186_cad_2.jpg186_cad_3.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

To complete the set, here are the A4 CADs as they stand so far. We wouldn't usually show them off at this early a stage however these are primarily used to ensure the distinctive streamlining is proportionally correct. We've compared it to our own research and drawings archives however as always we're keen to invite comment before we move on to adding the finer details. BIG versions are available, click the thumbnails below to get full size images.

Further details on development of the A3s, A4s and teaks are available above and on the main website Here.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-20351200-1491311582_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-43018500-1491311583_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-43807900-1491311584_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looking good so far. I know it's only early cads but I don't recall any A4's having that kind of Cylinder cock pipes. Most went straight down and forward, not curving back then forwards, and it was a mix of 2 and 3 pipes among the locos. Easier to catch it early on that later.

Regards, Ryan

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

To complete the set, here are the A4 CADs as they stand so far. We wouldn't usually show them off at this early a stage however these are primarily used to ensure the distinctive streamlining is proportionally correct. We've compared it to our own research and drawings archives however as always we're keen to invite comment before we move on to adding the finer details. BIG versions are available, click the thumbnails below to get full size images.

Further details on development of the A3s, A4s and teaks are available above and on the main website Here.

Cheers,

Dave

attachicon.gifHA4_4417_1.jpg

attachicon.gifHA4_4417_2.jpg

attachicon.gifHA4_4417_3.jpg

Hi I think the front elevation picture looks incorrect.  The outline shape should taper inwards from the top slope towards the buffer beam.  This looks too parallel.

Regards

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Hi I think the front elevation picture looks incorrect. The outline shape should taper inwards from the top slope towards the buffer beam. This looks too parallel.

Regards

Neil

Now you mention it Neil I don't know why I didn't see it before. It definitely does look too parallel. It should indeed taper in towards the lower part of the smokebox. Not a great deal but more than is shown for sure.

Regards, Ryan

Ah....

As has been pointed out, the front end is incorrect - effectively, what would be the running plate *albeit steamlined* should remain more or less a constant width down to the front, as the whole front end tapers in.

The front section of the running plate (over the cylinders) should turn down at a very slightly steeper angle according to photos

The chimney appears to be set too far back, as the front line of the chimney should be just in front of the bogie centre-line, and should, I think be of larger diameter.

I'm certainly not in anyway being negative - but the shape of an A4 is SO important - and now is the time!

Screenshot_20170406-085316_zpsmwa1avyz.j

Screenshot_20170406-084617_zpsocedgoux.j

Edited by Giles

Ah....

As has been pointed out, the front end is incorrect - effectively, what would be the running plate *albeit steamlined* should remain more or less a constant width down to the front, as the whole front end tapers in.

The front section of the running plate (over the cylinders) should turn down at a very slightly steeper angle according to photos

The chimney appears to be set too far back, as the front line of the chimney should be just in front of the bogie centre-line, and should, I think be of larger diameter.

I'm certainly not in anyway being negative - but the shape of an A4 is SO important - and now is the time!

Screenshot_20170406-085316_zpsmwa1avyz.j

Screenshot_20170406-084617_zpsocedgoux.j

Agreed..however regarding the chimneys, the one you show seems to be a double-chimney and the one in Hatton's picture looks like a single-chimney.

Yes, but of all the variants that Hattons are doing - only one (I believe, but stand to be corrected) is a single chimney version - and that would be the 1937 Silver Link. I think Mallard was already converted when she made her run?

The valance shown also needs some adjustment. As drawn, the front curve is almost a quadrant, whereas it should be a much shallower curve

It's a minefield, and I do sympathise!

Screenshot_20170406-112926_zpsgypuyxif.j

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments so far! We've taken note of the discussion on the shape so far and will be passing all comments on to the CAD development team.

Looking good so far. I know it's only early cads but I don't recall any A4's having that kind of Cylinder cock pipes. Most went straight down and forward, not curving back then forwards, and it was a mix of 2 and 3 pipes among the locos. Easier to catch it early on that later.

Regards, Ryan

Hi Ryan, to clarify, the A4 body is sitting on top of the A3 chassis for now and these will amended when the A4 chassis modifications are designed.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Dave

I'd really like to congratulate Hattons on the approach you and the team are taking on this project. 

I'm not in the market for the coaches or the locos (wrong kind of green...) but I'm really impressed.   I know some of the smaller companies do this too, and I think it is an excellent approach, given that there a huge body of knowledge in the potential purchasers.

If only the others did likewise...

good luck with this project!

Simon

Adding to my earlier post - there are repeated discussions about the wheel standards Heljan use, which seem not to work well with uk track. Most recently, Rod (West Kirby) rebogied a Heljan GUV (I think) and I know that there have been many discussions about turning wheels on the diesels - are Hattons in a position to convince our Danish friends to ok at this?

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1