Jump to content

Hattons Dave

Class A3 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Recommended Posts

 
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

 

We have just received the notification that the A3 models, which are currently on their way to us, have been delayed in transit.

It is only a slight delay but it means they should be with us between 9th and 15th September.

The A4’s and Gresley coaches should also be with us by the end of the year, and we will release more precise dates as soon as we know them.

 

We recently sat down with LNER historian, Tony Wright, to take an in-depth look at our A3s! Check out the video below.

 

https://youtu.be/K0kyv9COvvw

 

All versions of the Class A3 and A4 are still available to pre-order on THIS page of our website.

 

Cheers,

 

Dave

Edited by Hattons Dave
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi all,

 

We have just received the notification that the A3 models, which are currently on their way to us, have been delayed in transit.

It is only a slight delay but it means they should be with us between 9th and 15th September.

The A4’s and Gresley coaches should also be with us by the end of the year, and we will release more precise dates as soon as we know them.

 

We recently sat down with LNER historian, Tony Wright, to take an in-depth look at our A3s! Check out the video below.

 

https://youtu.be/K0kyv9COvvw

 

All versions of the Class A3 and A4 are still available to pre-order on THIS page of our website.

 

Cheers,

 

Dave

 

Very Interesting video with Hattons & Tony Wright, I've certainly learned a few things, look forward to seeing when you come to look a little more in-depth into the A4's ;-) Thanks 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice video. Good to get up close shots of the models and the details shown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes great video, Tony Wright must have been a cracking teacher to have love his presentation skills, don’t think I’m being unkind but my wife thought he looked a bit like Jo Brand (not your size Tony your face). Anyway whatever my wife thinks I’ve still got an un numbered smoke deflector on order and can’t wait. For £750 it’s a bargain and note the brass gears! Like they said some firms charge £3k for a Britannia etc and let’s face it they are nice but not worth it ..theses are!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The video has a lot of talk about FS tender in 1963 being cut down so that th model is inaccurate.  Personally, I am not sure what Tony Wright was trying to describe.  But here is a shot from 20 August 1963 showing the tender.  What am I missing?

Image_(4).jpg

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update.  Now I see it.  The straight across bit is not down the length of the tender which is where I thought Tony Wright was pointing, bu cross the rear of the tender top!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Froxfield2012 said:

Update.  Now I see it.  The straight across bit is not down the length of the tender which is where I thought Tony Wright was pointing, bu cross the rear of the tender top!!!

 

And down the side until the back of the coal bunker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it is my birthday next month I have decided to treat myself to an A3.

 

Given I am currently on holiday in Egypt, I think it appropriate that I am going to order "Papyrus".

 

It will be rule one loco of course. :D

 

Cheers, Ade.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice call!!

 

Happy Birthday ... in anticipation.

 

Will it arrive in time?

 

What's the issue date of these beasties?

 

Al.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!

 

They reckon the A3's should arrive sometime around Sept 9th - Sept 16th. 

 

My birthday is not until October 9th, so I hope to have it just before then. Which should all work out nice, as we are coming out to Egypt again for my birthday week. My holiday hobby is Scuba diving and the Red Sea is crystal clear.

 

Cheers Ade.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

I`ve got a question concerning the A3`s rail guards/track clearers. Compared to most prototype photos they seem not to be correct to have on all A3 models. It looks as if there are normally 2 different ones on each side of the front bogie. One mounted at the bufferbeam and another, smaller one, sitting at the outer side of  a  characteristic square metal plate, which is completely missing.

 

Regards

Bernd

Edited by Franzburg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know of sound for this? I run Dcc and therefore don’t want to double spend on decoders. Hattons have said they aren’t joining up with anyone for sound. Anyone any recommendations on a good a4 sound? 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lankyandy said:

Does anyone know of sound for this? I run Dcc and therefore don’t want to double spend on decoders. Hattons have said they aren’t joining up with anyone for sound. Anyone any recommendations on a good a4 sound? 

Thanks

 

Great question - I too am in your position, I will be looking around myself soon for the best sound chip to use - for the A3 and A4. So any recommendations from anyone would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will have a look into his sounds. Has anyone had a revised expected date as the last one has been and gone. Or could anyone from Hattons advise us on the expected delivery date? 

Many thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2019 at 12:34, lankyandy said:

I will have a look into his sounds. Has anyone had a revised expected date as the last one has been and gone. Or could anyone from Hattons advise us on the expected delivery date? 

Many thanks

 

 

See the following link recentley in Hornby Magazine

 

https://hornbymagazine.keypublishing.com/2019/08/01/video-flying-scotsman-with-zimo-sound/ 

 

This example uses a Zimo 645R decoder  for OO

 

Digitrains supplied zimo 645R  active drive sound by Paul Chetter

 

For a Heljan  O gauge A3 an XL  decoder would be required.  I thought the Kylchap double chimmney exhaust souded pretty authentic and I'm very hard to please when comes to steam sounds

 

Bob

Edited by Sun Chariot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would it need an XL?  It’s an expensive option.

 

A Zimo M645 will output 1.2A, all my 7mm locos run on typical Zimo or ESU “HO” decoders, including a few large locos which pull long trains (10 coaches / 40+ wagons) when there’s space to do it.  

 

Or have Hattons/Heljan gone for a huge current-hungry motor?

 

atb

Simon

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Simond said:

Why would it need an XL?  It’s an expensive option.

 

A Zimo M645 will output 1.2A, all my 7mm locos run on typical Zimo or ESU “HO” decoders, including a few large locos which pull long trains (10 coaches / 40+ wagons) when there’s space to do it.  

 

Or have Hattons/Heljan gone for a huge current-hungry motor?

 

atb

Simon

 

Quote

 Simon

 

Quote

 

Simon

I have no experience re the type pf motor in Heljan steam outline models only their diesels. Which I would have thought required the use of  XL decoder

 

Though I have used a sound decoder meant for a 4mm A4 in 7mm A4 albeit with a ABC motor/ gearbox set up

Bob

 

 

Quote

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

With reference sound in these new locos, if they are anything like other ready to run 'O' gauge steam locos  as Simon has said they should run with a Zimo M645 decoder. I have fitted some of my locos with the Digitrains Paul Chetter sound versions. I have also got some with Loksound XL fitted (Golden Age A2's) which run ok however, I did fit a Loksound XL version 4 in my Loveless A4 which was simply appalling!!! I spent ages trying to get it to run smoothly but to no avail and yes I did try all the recommended modifications. In the end I removed it and replaced it with a Digitrains Zimo M699 'O' gauge version which is approximately the same size as the Loksound XL. The result, a beautifully smooth running loco, straight out of the box! 

Based on this when I got my 55H Britannia I also fitted that with a Zimo M699 from Digitrains and like the A4 a great sound and smooth running engine.

I have no connection with either Zimo or Digitrains but would highly recommend fitting either the M645 or better still the 'O' gauge M699 version which whilst costing more would probably be the better option for one of these new locos.

Should anyone want any further help please send me a private message and I'll do my best to help.

All my locos will be at Peterborough in December on Durham Street (North Eastern Loco shed) where you are welcome to come and have a chat.

Thanks

Ian     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dave, any news on the A3's as the proposed arrival date of Sept 9th to 16th has come and gone.

 

Cheers, Ade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just spoken to Hattons and shortly but nothing confirmed is the date they have. 

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a peek at the A3’s and A4’s at the Great Electric Train Show and even though O gauge isn’t my thing, they were very impressive.  Well done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.