N gauge join Finetrax to Peco Code 55

I have an idea for a layout in N gauge that has just a simple single line in the scenic section of and roundy layout that is fed by a quite large fiddle yard.

I am thinking the obvious option for me is to use Finetrax flexi track in my scenic section joined to Peco code 55 in the hidden sections.

I think joining the rail should be easy enough ? But can anyone tell me how much I will need to pack the Finetrax to bring the rail head to the same height as the Peco please.

• RMweb Premium

I can't remember how much I needed to pack them when I joined Finetrax to Peco (and can't access the sections of the layout where I did it to measure at the moment, but it was not much. I soldered the joint which worked well. As it was a non scenic section I used a small section of brass rod to reinforce the joint on the outside of the track. 

• 10 months later...

I can't remember how much I needed to pack them when I joined Finetrax to Peco (and can't access the sections of the layout where I did it to measure at the moment, but it was not much. I soldered the joint which worked well. As it was a non scenic section I used a small section of brass rod to reinforce the joint on the outside of the track. 

Do you have a photo this at all? I'd be very interested to see it. 

OK, no problem, thanks anyway. I'm guessing you don't have any operational problems? I have a half laid layout (currently using code 55) and want to use code 40 for the remaining sidings etc. but I would be using peco pointwork. I might be tempted to give code 40 a go if I can make the two work well but then there's the problem of looks. Might it look dreadful to have the beauty of code 40 against code 55 point work?  :O 

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at my Coombe Viaduct thread (link in my signature). I have used Finetrax on the scenic sections, then used a short section to link between this and the Kato Unitrack in the fiddle yard.