Millerhillboys N gauge workbench

Thanks Will, much appreciated. Regarding the Sodor fleet I'm under increasing pressure to make a 'Hiro' he being a particular favourite of both my boys. I've recently had numerous pacific locos on the workbench each one provoking 'is that going to be Hiro dad?' question?

Edited by millerhillboy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Done some work on some farish 3 plank wagons, added what i think are some nice tarpaulins.

Bought from this guy here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121993-wagonsheetscouk/

Made loads on plasticard bases exactly same size as the wagon, used a lego brick or two for the big load and some ballast for the smaller load. Once glued in place i wrapped the loads in cling film, and then draped the tarpaulins over the cling film and secured in place with PVA water mix.

I think they look really good.

post-81-0-40091600-1512599849_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-22622800-1512599868_thumb.jpg

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 8

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Got 60011 complete with blue plates on the way, plus 60052 as well.

To be honest I should stop dicking about with stock and get on with the layout which is still nothing more than bare baeboards.

After experimenting with finetrax I've decided thats the way forward but going to use code 55 behind the scenes in the fiddleyard.

Hopefully some progress on the layout soon.

Edited by millerhillboy

Heres 60011 breaking cover, blue backed plates as per the prototype unfortunately due to a big blob of glue left behind from the previous plates I have had to mount the plates slightly too far right of where they should have been. Its something I can live with.

Modelu lamps fitted which Ive said before but are superb at this scale, crewed and redone the coal load with real coal dust.

post-81-0-57158200-1513118944_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-11343500-1513119157_thumb.jpg

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

To be honest I should stop dicking about with stock and get on with the layout which is still nothing more than bare baeboards.

After experimenting with finetrax I've decided thats the way forward but going to use code 55 behind the scenes in the fiddleyard.

Hopefully some progress on the layout soon.

Some great looking prototype models.

You won’t regret using finetrax - it takes a while especially the turnouts but the effort is worth the finescale appearance and most rtr stock runs smoothly....

Looking forward to seeing some A3’s and A4’s.....

• 4 months later...

Another new addition to the fleet, A1 60152 Holyrood.

Bottom half is fully weathered but not done much to the top half, toying with keeping her relstively clean. As per above I've already got a grotty 60160.

Might run some soot along the top of the boiler or something.

post-81-0-44013100-1526154473_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-48279200-1526154511_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-44013100-1526154473_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-48279200-1526154511_thumb.jpg

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi MHB, The weathering's looking great, can't believe it's taken me this long to find your topic! What mix of paint do you use on the Pacific chassis?

Cheers

Simon

Hi MHB, The weathering's looking great, can't believe it's taken me this long to find your topic! What mix of paint do you use on the Pacific chassis?

Cheers

Simon

Well its interesting you should ask as I've recently aďded a few new products for that area particularly that I'm enjoying using which I'll list shortly. Bear in mind the 2 britannias and the 60535, although i did revisit the chassis of 60535 using my own technique, were done for me by alba weathering and sèeing the quality of those prompted me to up my game. I still dont think Ive got the skills for upper body work and alba do such a great job.

So 60152 is all my own work, with next to nothing done on the top half.

Chassis wise on 60152 I've used my usual starting point of phoenix frame dirt. At this point i have the loco apart typically and I tend to use a wash coat or two of this across everything under the running plate including the tender. I'll also where possible remove wheels from tenders and bogies and paint their faces with frame dirt.

Once done I've been using vallejo washes, brown and black to starting building on the frame dirt base, because these are washes any single appliction tends to be subtle and as such it can take a few coats to build up a colour.

What that means for me anyway, is that I can vary the depths and tones of blacks and browns along the length of the loco. Looking at pictures I see that round driving wheels can be blacker for example and tender frames tend to stay closer to the frame dirt base but I can use the black wash with a small brush just to flood around an axle box for example.

Finally and new for 60152 and retrospectively 60535 I picked up another product from the military aircraft weathering scene a lots of whos stuff is quite honest fantastic. I'm not into military modelling but their weathering techniques are superb and I've been reading a few forums.

The product I picked up on was https://ak-interactive.com/product/wash-for-shafts-and-bearings/

Which whilst very subtle it does leave a nice shiney greasy look to pistons, rods etc and again very subtley you can see the difference between the vallejo black wash and the grease.

Its all very subtle to be honest, especially at n gauge scale but i really like the blacky brown finish I'm getting and am very happy with 60152.

I think I'd been using the vallejo stuff for the Dapol a3 and a4 work but need to go back and work a bit more with them and add the grease as well.

Thanks for your kind words though, much appreciated.

Edited by millerhillboy

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Duncan

Really sorry I didnt pick up on this reply, apologies and thanks for your interest.

Progress in the summer is even slower than the winter so little to report.

Finished off another RTR detailing job, just the usual stuff.....crew, lamps, front pipework,renumber and coal and the start of underframe wrathering.

Crew and lamps are from the excellent modelu range

IMG_5554.JPG.55d43aa7f9108638f8c499bf4c13300f.JPGIMG_5557.JPG.1e576f0c33c5492518b1ae305bea9f42.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 8 months later...

Managed to progress a few things that are lying about, mostly wagons

Trying my hand at 16 tonners, the weathering of which seems to be a subject in its own right. I'm not quite too sure how this has went. I think I like the colours and tones but I'm not sure about the rust spots, which I can't get out my head that I've applied with a tiny drill bit and I think it looks like that's what I've done.

Anyway, feedback always welcome, good back or indifferent.

IMG_6340.jpg.51efee5409fa5d4dc46c57595bcf6045.jpg

IMG_6338.jpg.2da220fc0e1154f37dac1d1723262491.jpg

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1