Quality of loco build poor

faa77

My dishwasher has packed in and my Samsung TV has got an annoying black shadow across half the picture. Now my ceramic bladed cooking knives don't seem as sharp as they once were.

This is the thread for moaning about product, isn't it?

Luckily I can't find fault with my model trains.

G.

Dushwashers dont wash things- they hygeneically clean. You need to make sure everything is washed off hefore you put items in. Pratically washed up. You better off learning how to wash up properly - dishwashers are a dead duck ;-)

Dushwashers dont wash things- they hygeneically clean. You need to make sure everything is washed off hefore you put items in. Pratically washed up. You better off learning how to wash up properly - dishwashers are a dead duck ;-)

You need to buy a proper one, we have a Bosch Dishwasher and it performs wonderfully....

As well as all my fleet of Bachmann loco's :onthequiet:  

Not likely as the loco is very rarely used and stay on the track (as do all my locos) I have not had the loco body off since it was chipped. I will check the switched underneath though as that is a possibility. Thanks 

Usually, the cab light circuits are connected to the chassis by small copper contacts. These can *creep* over time and loose contact. Maybe taking the body off, pushing the contacts out a bit, will restart them (check to see the diodes are not black either).

Modern solders used no longer contain lead and is often replaced by zinc. This oxidizes over time (a great way to ensure all electronic products have limited life!), so maybe a loose wire. The oxidized zinc can cause the circuit to draw more electricity (it increases resistance) and I have seen this burn parts out on electronic boards.

However, do NOT test the diode itself with a DC controller as  that will blow it. These diodes work at say 1.5 volts and manufacturers use resisters to bring the voltage down.

• 2 months later...

Well,

I've just been installing a chip in my latest 47 - 47001.

Gotta say I forgot what a PITA removing the body is from these.

I took all the screws out first - 2 had been tightened far too much and this was the plastic I took out the screw threads afterpost-450-0-65582700-1478210229_thumb.jpeg

So onwards ,I then use plastic shims to keep the body side cab clips out the glazing sockets in the door.

However I pulled as much as I dared and their meant the fuel tank fell off.

With nothing much left to grip onto , I had to be inventive and this meant the body frame fell off one end.

Here we see the naked loco ....

post-450-0-08270000-1478210380_thumb.jpeg

So eventually I prise the body shell off and strangely the footsteps that normally stay in the chassis ( plain black on my other ones) - well at each end one comes away with the bodyshell. This is odd but I wonder if it's because these are painted yellow and they have stuck to the body when they sprayed. The ones on the body are very secure indeed.....but there is a slight hole in the black where they came off the chassis so I think they were attached to both sides...

post-450-0-15226500-1478210553_thumb.jpeg

post-450-0-96737900-1478210570_thumb.jpeg

At this all meant one of the body door Windows, fell out as well, as the clip was so tight ......

On the plus side it runs nice.......

Good grief, next time I try and get into a bachy 47 I may play the benny hill theme track in the background...

• RMweb Gold

Nonsense.Quackers in fact.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I use gravity to my advantage for stiff bodies (not unique to Bachmann it applies equally to others)...

I Undo the screws
Then use old hotelkeys as a shim in each of the lugs.
Turn the loco right side up and back with its wheels on the bench
Lift the body upwards, the weight of the chassis invariably leaves it behind on the bench, or a lot less effort to separate it.
Occasionally a slight twist left or right can help.

Often if it doesn't separate, at least some part will, allowing you to unclip the rest.

If it doesn't, there's usually something missed, but usually the weight of the chassis, combined with shim over  the securing lugs is enough to encourage the body off.

So far it's worked for me, to me it's better than trying to pull a heavy chassis upwards away from the upside down body. Hope it helps.

Personally I use gravity to my advantage for stiff bodies (not unique to Bachmann it applies equally to others)...

I Undo the screws

Then use old hotelkeys as a shim in each of the lugs.

Turn the loco right side up and back with its wheels on the bench

Lift the body upwards, the weight of the chassis invariably leaves it behind on the bench, or a lot less effort to separate it.

Occasionally a slight twist left or right can help.

Often if it doesn't separate, at least some part will allowing you to unclip the rest.

If it doesn't, there's usually something missed, but usually the weight of the chassis, combined with shim overnight the securing lugs is enough to encourage the body off.

So far it's worked for me, better than trying to pull a heavy chassis upwards away from the upside down body. Hope it helps.

That's good technique - I'll see if the body goes back on OK.

FYI

A box fresh locomotive has been sent back to the well known co. based in Kent for the fourth time by me to correct problems which should never have existed had the Qaulity Control been up to standard initially. Letter sent to the CEO for his response under separate cover and will be interested to receive his take on the matter.

That said, it is the first one I have ever had over many years of purchasing both their products or other manufacturers, nevertheless, this should not be happening IMO in this day and age. I also have quite a few German manufactured locos which have been faultless, even secondhand, and seem to stand the rigours of handling too.

Didn't think they did that anymore.

It was a tad smelly at times anyway

They stopped selling the returned models at exhibitions about 4 or 5 years ago.  Makes you wonder what becomes of them now, doesn't it?

Cynic, moi??

They stopped selling the returned models at exhibitions about 4 or 5 years ago.  Makes you wonder what becomes of them now, doesn't it? Cynic, moi??

Some might be returned to retail if it is a simple job in the 'take good element from A, combine with good element from B' category,  Really don't see a problem with that, as anything that is sold retail carries the full customer protection and manufacturer warranty; and this activity is going to be limited by the labour cost to only the simplest such jobs. The remainder retained and broken for spares as required.

At the other end of cynicism scale, an interpretation of their no longer generally selling returns at exhibitions might be that the volume of returns has fallen significantly over time, such that most returns are now necessarily retained by Bachmann for sparing.

They stopped selling the returned models at exhibitions about 4 or 5 years ago.  Makes you wonder what becomes of them now, doesn't it?

Cynic, moi??

They didn't.  I picked up 2x 47s and a 24 at Warley last year.  I picked up a few similarly the year before.  Warley is the only place I've seen them shifting ex-returns.  The rep last year did comment that they had less than usual as they weren't getting as many returns.  As it stood most of the stock was sold in first hour of Saturday.

They didn't.  I picked up 2x 47s and a 24 at Warley last year.  I picked up a few similarly the year before.  Warley is the only place I've seen them shifting ex-returns.  The rep last year did comment that they had less than usual as they weren't getting as many returns.  As it stood most of the stock was sold in first hour of Saturday.

Perhaps because they aren't selling/or making as many as they used too. Many buyers are now wary of returns as they fear they wont get another Loco only a refund at best. They therefore put up with the defect and/or repair it. That will keep the makers happy as they think their products are superb as no one ever returns them for repairs !!! :jester:

Archived