Britains only Mainline Railway is in the Midlands?

6892 Oakhill Grange

Just been reading on the Beeb about the GCR's replacement bridge to join the railway back together. The GCR was described as Britain's only mainline railway!

I am disgusted!

I think all the residents of Torbay and Dartmouth areas should be writing to their MP to have the BBC's licence revoked so that nice Mr Murdoch can tell us the truth instead.

Oakhill

Sorry there is a preserved missing from the title and the content.

Surely the clue is in the name that the Torbay And Dartmouth used for the vast majority of it's existence, which is The Kingswear Branch.

To be a mainline then you have to go from one major place to another. Liverpool to Manchester, London to Birmingham and Nottingham to Leicester all count. Paignton to Kingswear, not so much.

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Only European loading gauge line was the GCR as far as I know. Also nicely built without level crossings too.

Not quite true, Berne gauge wasn't developed until some time later, but the GCR London Extension was built to a much more generous loading gauge than the normal UK one. The London Extension had but one Level Crossing, but I can't remember where that was now...

Andy G

• Like 1

Come on, the Kingswear line  was never a branch! And unlike the GCR (who never completed its underused London terminus), it was popular.

Of  course it was.  There is no significant town on it - Kingswear is a village. 

Not quite true, Berne gauge wasn't developed until some time later, but the GCR London Extension was built to a much more generous loading gauge than the normal UK one. The London Extension had but one Level Crossing, but I can't remember where that was now...

Andy G

Beighton. It's still in use

• RMweb Gold

Count the tracks.

To the layman (and, where railways are concerned, the BBC doesn't have anything better) one means a branch line and two or more, a main line.

However large the through trains that ran (and still run on some summer Sundays) to Kingswear, there were never that many of them.

Within the industry AFAIK, it was always referred to as the Kingswear Branch. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 1 year later...

Not quite true, Berne gauge wasn't developed until some time later, but the GCR London Extension was built to a much more generous loading gauge than the normal UK one. The London Extension had but one Level Crossing, but I can't remember where that was now...

Andy G

Hi Andy,

It is not the case that the GCR’s extension to London was built to a much more generous loading gauge than the normal UK one (notwithstanding that there was no such thing as a normal UK loading gauge when the line opened).

The LE was constructed to exactly the same loading gauge as the rest of the GCR’s network, a gauge that was demonstrably smaller than that used by several contemporary companies such as the GWR and the GNR.

The myth that it was otherwise appears to have arisen in the 1960s, when campaigners were seeking reasons to justify their position that the line should not be closed. One pamphlet contained this statement regarding loading gauges and others picked it up.

The loading gauge used during construction is a matter of public record as the 1895 drawings detailing it, signed by Alexander Ross, survive in the National Archives.

Apologies for the thread revival, but worth challenging this one when it appears . . .

It is probably reasonable to assert that the GWSR Cheltenham to Broadway line is a preserved main line. Although only single track at present the possibility of doubling remains, there have been no major civils works done or losses of land which preclude this.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Even that isn't unique - most of the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch is double track.

True, and the RH&D still operates at around the speed it was designed to...

Riding their trains at 25 mph (since all their engines got GPS), it feels much more like a "real railway" than any of the standard gauge light railways.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling