BR(W) coach livery identification.

• RMweb Gold

In what livery would the fourth coach have been? It looks like a Hawksworth in maroon, but was that colour around in this 1953 dated picture?

Picture abstracted from Aug 'Back Track'/J.Jarvis/Colour-Rail.

post-6728-0-76888700-1470566044_thumb.jpg

Oh bother, the reply I just typed has vanished.  Harrumph.  Take two:

Easy bit: it isn't maroon.  There would have been some still about in 1953 but clinging to ex-LMS coaches for dear life.

Hard bit: what is is then?  The reddish brown applied to some GWR coaches immediately post war?  I thought that had been superseded by chocolate and cream before the Hawksworths came out.  A late Collett at Didcot carries it.  A 1948 experimental livery then?  I'm pretty sure that none of those was applied to Hawksworth stock.  I don't have the list in Harris to hand att the moment but I'm pretty sure that plum and spilt milk was applied only to some Colletts on the WR.

My guess is chocolate and cream with far too many layers of crud.

Chris

An interesting picture for me at an opportune time. I have recently bought rakes of Hornby Stanier and Maunsell coaches to join the Hawksworth set. The cream on all these coaches seem to take custard to literally and I was disappointed prefering the cream on Dapol Stanier and Hornby Collett carriages.

In this picture the cream bands vary from white to Bird's. Makes me happier now. Black roof amongst various shades of grey too. Thanks for posting the picture.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if it's a full brake in a plain livery. The other, rather unlikely option could be a non corridor (non Hawksworth) coach in a dirty crimson. 

• RMweb Gold

There's an interesting observation in the first post of this topic where Coachmann describes a Hawksworth as looking if it was brown and brown livery. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12964-gwr-coach-colour-in-june-1949/

When you look ar the corridor side of a Hawksworth all third there was very little metal between the windows to paint cream, especially if there was a broad chocolate band above the windows.

Archived