Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Merl Evans

Andy Y

From Bachmann Europe

Merl Evans

10/08/2016

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our friend and colleague, former Chief Designer Merl Evans. He will be fondly remembered with warm and often funny memories by all those who worked with him. Our thoughts are now with his wife Maureen and all of his family and friends at this very sad time.

AY - I am so sorry to have heard this news this afternoon. Merl was somewhat of a legend in our hobby, a lovely guy who will be missed.

post-1-0-52934100-1386872502_thumb.jpg

Merl Evans

It was with great sadness that I learned today, from Bachmann, that Merl Evans retired Chief Designer, had passed away.

I first met Merl when he was with Palitoy where he was responsible for the design of most of their early products. It is fair to say that his efforts in those early days single-handedly started ready-to-run models on the path towards the fine standards that we enjoy today. He continued that push to make each one better than the last, throughout his career. My most striking memory of him was a chance encounter when I was visiting the National Railway Museum at York, probably around the time I was researching my book on the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway. Much to my surprise, Merl emerged, tape measure and camera in hand, from under the GWR '28XX' 2-8-0 No. 2818. His first words were, "You haven't seen me here!"

As so often happens with product research of that sort, nothing came of Merl's investigations of the 2-8-0 but many of his subsequent forays resulted in new models in the Mainline and subsequently Bachmann ranges. His attention to detail and accuracy was well known, and he was always quick to advise if a particular variant of a model couldn't be produced because the tooling didn't have the right details. He was also a fount of knowledge about the convoluted history of models produced during the turmoil of the Airfix/Mainline merger and subsequent break-up.

In the early years of Model Rail before Bachmann created its Public Relations Department, it was Merl who would arrange to provide me with review models. Often these would be pre-production samples on short-term loan, for which both of us received some stick from modellers who refused to believe that he hadn't deceived me with a specially 'tweaked' model. Nothing could have been further from the truth. However, Merl was always proud of the Bachmann products with which he'd been involved and was soon on the phone if a review contained an inaccuracy or a comment he considered unfair.

Always approachable, helpful and ready with an amusing anecdote, Merl was highly regarded throughout the hobby. He was the first recipient of a Model Rail Lifetime Achievement Award. 

My sincere condolences to his colleagues, friends and his family at this very sad time. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Shocked and saddened. Merl certainly pushed this hobby forward, and his legacy will live on in some of the fantastic models that are on our layouts. It's a sad day for us but an even worse one for his friends and family. Condolences on their loss

• RMweb Premium

R.I.P. Mr Evans. My condolences to the family. This seems to have happened relatively soon after his retirement, so not allowing much time to relax after a life working on the models we cherish.

Merl  Evans.

Its was sad news when I was informed this morning of Merls passing. I worked with Merl at Bachmann for almost 10 years until I moved to Devon and he took full retirement. I had not seen him for a while but we kept in touch regularly  and always had some funny items of interest to tell.

He was a gent and we had some good times,and a few disagreements about certain products but that was all part of pushing products forward to a successful conclusion.

Some of our Toy Fair days,and nights out were so funny.Others and myself had many conversations with Merl about a wide variation of subjects which most he was very knowledgeable about.

Its is sad he didn't get a real chance to enjoy his well earned retirement. My thoughts go out to Maureen and the rest of his family.

Richard

So very sad to hear this news. I only met Merl on a very few occasions but assisted him with many photographs of rolling stock, both Mainline and Bachmann. I think he finally forgave me after I locked up their email system for hours when I was very new to scanning photos and sent a 17MB photo which meant he couldn't receive some drawings from China that he was waiting on. He does seem to have been well ahead of this time in understanding there was a market for quality RTR and technology was allowing suitable production.

My condolences to the family.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Premium

Learned this via Kernow MRC's Facebook feed (see quote) and am just as saddened as everyone else.  

Very sad news from Bachmann. Merl was a great friend and helped with so many of our projects over the years. In fact only three days ago we were working on a project (not yet announced) that Merl had initiated for us. Our thoughts are with Maureen and his family

Condolences to the family and support to those who knew the man personally.

I'm deeply saddened by the passing of Merl so soon after retirement. I helped him on a couple of occasions with photos from my archive.

He and his family can be proud he has left his legacy of realistically detailed RTR models and raised the benchmark for future developments.

I hope Bachmann commemorate his career by producing a Merl Evans PO Wagon!  I will raise a glass to him tonight!

I had the great privilege of working for Merl for 10 years before his retirement whilst he was in charge of the R&D department. His passing is very sad for us all and my best wishes go out to his family and friends.

His knowledge of diesel, electric and steam locomotives, of all eras and all regions, was hugely impressive and the legacy of locomotives and multiple units that he was personally responsible for at Bachmann Europe will be enjoyed by modellers for many years to come.

As well as being incredibly knowledgeable he was a lot of fun to work with and had a wicked sense of humour that we all thoroughly enjoyed. I was often at the receiving end of this, happily I might add, but he gladly took it as good as he gave.

Shortly after he retired I compiled a list of the Locomotives and Multiple units that he developed, and it’s a long list. I’m sure many of you RM Webber’s have at least one of these is your collection. Apologies if I’ve missed any!

GWR

Manor

43xx

Hall / Modified Hall

56xx

45xx

57xx

Collett Goods

64xx

3000 ROD

3200 Earl / Dukedog

LNER

J72

V2

V1/3

B1

J39

A4

K3

A1

A2

O4

LMS

Parallel Boiler Scot

Ivatt Tank

Crab 2-6-0

3F Jinty

Ivatt Class 4MT

Ivatt Class 2MT

Faiburn Tank

Jubilee

Patriot

G2A

3F

4F

7F

Southern

Lord Nelson

N Class

BR Standard

WD Austerity

BR Standard 3MT Tank

BR Standard 4MT Tank

BR Standard 4MT 2-6-0

BR Standard 4MT 4-6-0

BR Standard 5MT

BR Standard 9F

Diesel

25/1

25/3

37/0

37/4

37/9

10000/1

Multiple Units

DLW

411 4CEP

416 2EPB

419 MLV

It must be said that he was also responsible for endless coach and wagon models that accompany the locomotives already listed above, for which I haven’t attempted to list yet. I can assure that he put as much effort into these as he did any of his locomotives and that he was passionate about the accuracy of the liveries that were applied to all of our models

I hope we can do his legacy justice.

Rest in peace Merl.

IShortly after he retired I compiled a list of the Locomotives and Multiple units that he developed, and it’s a long list. I’m sure many of you RM Webber’s have at least one of these is your collection. Apologies if I’ve missed any!

There's the Class 40 as well. Some of my research drawings found their way to Merl for this.

The Nim.

In my previous life, I met Merl quite a few times and he was always friendly, and up for a chat.

We discussed many many things, and I always enjoyed being in his company.

What a great loss to his family and everyone who knew him.

Thanks Merl you were a top man!

It was with great sadness that I learned of Merl's untimely passing this week. As Secretary of the Kitmaster Collectors Club, I worked with Merl to source the unbuilt kits that would form the basis of the catalogue shots for future models. The Bachmann Class 08 shunters, as shown in the catalogue, were all Kitmaster models supplied by the club. After the successful launch of the model, Merl sidled up to me at a Show and said  "I think you'd better have these for the club". In the stock box were the three prototypes. They have pride of place in our archive now. This set the standard for the 20 ton Brake Van and 16 ton Mineral wagon - all from Airfix kits supplied by the Club. We also sourced complete sets of Midland Pullman and BR Mark 1 coaches during the development phases for these models too and discussed their merits and short-comings together with Merl, who was quick to spot what was good as well as what was not quite right with them.  He was tremendously helpful when I was writing the definitive story of Airfix & Kitmaster models and even provided test shots from his own collection for photography. His gentle good humour, sly winks and ebullient personality marked him out as one of life's Good Guys. He will be sorely missed and our thoughts are with Maureen and his family today.

Steve Knight, The Kitmaster Collectors club.

I have been advised that Merl's funeral will take place at 12.15 on Tuesday 23rd August at Bretby Crematorium.

Bretby Crematorium

Geary Lane

Burton upon Trent

DE15 0QE

Merl's family have requested no flowers but have asked for any donations to go to LOROS - https://www.justgiving.com/loros

I will be attending and will pass on the sympathies of members and readers.

Although it was a very sad event it was an uplifting experience to attend Merl's funeral yesterday. Standing room only with many friends and former colleagues in attendance. It was evident through the eulogy that Merl's work was a huge part of his life; something he had a passion for and a pride in as well as being a strong family man and a good friend to many. A few weeks ago at Barwell I spent time looking at the cabinets which displayed the first 'Mainline' painted engineering samples including the J72, Peak and Std 4MT which started the range some forty years ago. As a comparative youngster I'd marvelled at the leap forward from Hornby and Wrenn products on the shop shelves. Maybe the Peak had its shortcomings but that little J72's body can still hold its head up high and will soon see a re-engineered DCC compatible chassis.

And so to the wake where that fine model took its place in front of a photograph of Merl as entered.

Merl_funeral.jpg

After the funeral I had chance to talk about a little turning point in history of our hobby with Bob Brechin, the gentleman who happened to spot the railway modelling magazine on Merl's desk at Palitoy. Bob has kindly sent me a few words on that point in history.

I was Chief Designer at Palitoy, 2ic to Bill Pugh, the Design and Development Director. Bill would go to Hong Kong for about a month twice a year briefing suppliers and then later in year checking production. I would be charged to hold the fort in his absence.

We set Merl on as a toy designer and he joined me and Ivor Edmunds working mainly on Action Man and some board games. I believe Pete Mansell was also part of the team at the time. The design department also included Stuart Moore the doll designer ( sculptor and designer of Tiny Tears ) and a small team of dolls dress designers. When he first arrived he did the design work on a board game called Treasure of the Pharaoahs and I have a vivid memory of him holding up the first shots of a playing piece ( an explorer character in shorts and pith helmet, a sort of Howard Carter character )  which he had sculpted, announcing in a Merl-like way " My first moulding ! ". Shortly after he modelled some accessories for Action Man. Last year he turned up to a showing of the DVD of "The Story of Action Man" which was at the Century Theatre in Coalville ( Jan 29th this year was AM's 50th birthday ).   He explained to me that he had a lung condition that was incurable and he passed over the said Action Man models that he had kept, telling me I should take care of them. Little did I realise that his condition was really serious and I regret not going to see him after that meeting. But it was in Merl's character to think, even as he was battling his illness, that those models should come to me.

Later on Bill Pugh called me in to explain that Palitoy were to get serious in the marketing of model trains and take on Hornby. We were to develop the locos and rolling stock from scratch and use a company in Hong Kong called Kader. Bill tasked me to find someone who could take on the design and development work. Walking around the design office I came across a railway modelling magazine on Merl's desk. When he returned from wherever, I asked him " So you are interested in trains Merl ?" My memory is  that he said something like "It's my passion, I love them". "You had better come and see Bill", was my reply. 

I believe John Malins was brand manager for the range in Marketing but after he left the company Merl took his position and we brought in Stuart Jesson for design and we also took on Alan Blanchard as model maker and he did a lot of work under direction from Merl producing tooling aids to send to Kader. 

We started the development with Merl designing the locos and rolling stock and I took on the design of the controllers with a company in Essex. I remember Merl being so meticulous with the designs getting every detail right that we fondly nicknamed him the "rivet counter". I have fond memories of Merl at Palitoy especially during toy fair time when we would work together dressing the Palitoy stands with product. After the Palitoy department closed down in 1984 I lost touch with Merl but later we used to meet for a chat when I visited him on the Bachman stand at toy fair.

Rest in peace Merl; I'll still think of you when I see one of your models through the lens.

After the funeral I had chance to talk about a little turning point in history of our hobby with Bob Brechin, the gentleman who happened to spot the railway modelling magazine on Merl's desk at Palitoy. Bob has kindly sent me a few words on that point in history.

Walking around the design office I came across a railway modelling magazine on Merl's desk. When he returned from wherever, I asked him " So you are interested in trains Merl ?" My memory is that he said something like "It's my passion, I love them".

That sounds like a bit of an object lesson for those amongst us who hide their love of model railways from colleagues for fear of being teased.

Clearly Merl's willingness to not hide his love of model railways led to really great things for our hobby. You never know what might happen.

That is Merl's legacy for us.

Archived