Railways to Roads

pH

The A1 from darlington to Barton is built on the alignment of the old merrybent branch. was originally planned to go alongside it but when the branch closed they used the track bed to reduce the amount of land needed to purchase. In Darlington the new link road follows the course of the Stockton and Darlington Railway to the A66.

The a689 in Bishop Auckland reuses Newton Cap Viaduct.

Further north on the same line, the bridge over the narrows in Loch Creran was rail-only until the line closed and the bridge was re-purposed to short-cut the ~5 mile road route via Druimavuich.

(I believe that the Connel Bridge was a toll bridge for road vehicles until the railway closed and the bridge was dedicated solely to road traffic.)

Not quite.  While the bridge over the narrows in Loch Crearan, the Creagan Bridge (different spellings) was indeed rail-only until the line closed in 1966. (Not my photos)

3213543_5c609b9a.jpg

The bridge was not re-purposed after closure but left un-used until 2001, when it was completely rebuilt, re-using just the piers to support a new dual-lane road deck.

Creagan-bridge.jpg

Note the loss of not only the girder spans but also the castellated arches at either side of the loch.  I may have read somewhere (sorry, can't find a link) that there were applications to have the bridge listed, but this was blocked by the Scottish Office (pre-devolution), just so it could be demolished to be replaced by the road.

However you are quite correct that Connel Bridge was a toll bridge for road traffic until the closure of the railway, when it became a toll-free but single-lane, traffic-light controlled road-only bridge.

A minor road following the River Wye from Llanstephan to Erwood

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=311679&y=241916&z=120&sv=Llanstephan&st=3&tl=Map+of+Llanstephan,+Powys+%5BTown%5D&mapp=map.srf

The earthworks and bridges give it away - the yellow road to the right of the river.

I can still hear an Ivatt Class 2 echoing up the valley with two coaches on a Three Cocks to Moat Lane working every time we go fishing there

Phil

Amongst the ones mentioned, this one is unique in that it doesn't simply use the railway formation but (as a narrow country road) actually is engineered within the pre-existing railway structure using the original bridges etc. - absolutely amazing to drive along...

Archived