A few more freights.

Late night or early morning at Rugby, 1985:

attachicon.gif85-13-3-Rugby-1985.jpg

I think that's a CAR brake van on the back, so the rear tankers might be carrying something nasty.

Rain at Warrington in 1983, double-headed 87s on a regular steel run, I think Motherwell/Mossend to Dee Marsh/Shotton/S Wales, which changed loco at Warrington:

attachicon.gifN15_0017-Warrington-Apr-1983.jpg

Sun at Warrington in 1985, 87 on passenger passing 85 on freight:

attachicon.gif85-5-4-Warrington-1985.jpg

Nice mixed-up rake of coaches.

Told you it was regular:

attachicon.gif850305-Warrington-1985.jpg

And double 86s with different pantograph types on a southbound Speedlink, also a regular double-header at that period:

attachicon.gifN23_0002-Warrington-1983.jpg

The wagons after the opens appear to be sheeted hoppers followed by one UKF van and possibly a string of VEAs.

It's just not possible to like these enough!

A few more freights.

Late night or early morning at Rugby, 1985:

attachicon.gif85-13-3-Rugby-1985.jpg

I think that's a CAR brake van on the back, so the rear tankers might be carrying something nasty.

I can't work out if that's 6, 12, or 18- I can't remember any others keeping a central nameplate in IC exec, but without the grey band around the cab.

A few more freights.

Rain at Warrington in 1983, double-headed 87s on a regular steel run, I think Motherwell/Mossend to Dee Marsh/Shotton/S Wales, which changed loco at Warrington:

attachicon.gifN15_0017-Warrington-Apr-1983.jpg

Told you it was regular:

attachicon.gif850305-Warrington-1985.jpg

Here is a Ravenscraig to Dee Marsh coil train at Warrington topped by a class 40

post-7081-0-15546600-1471901286_thumb.jpg

40157 arrives at Warrington ahead of 87026 and 86328, 7/3/83

cheers

• Like 13

I can't work out if that's 6, 12, or 18- I can't remember any others keeping a central nameplate in IC exec, but without the grey band around the cab.

I might need my eyes testing, but when I zoom in it looks to me like there is at least one letter in the loco's name that goes below the line, eg a 'y' or a 'p' or a 'g'. If so, 87006 'City of Glasgow' would be a good shout. Not so much Coeur de Lion or Lord Nelson due to the absence of letters below the line. Anyone concur?

I might need my eyes testing, but when I zoom in it looks to me like there is at least one letter in the loco's name that goes below the line, eg a 'y' or a 'p' or a 'g'. If so, 87006 'City of Glasgow' would be a good shout. Not so much Coeur de Lion or Lord Nelson due to the absence of letters below the line. Anyone concur?

On that basis, it could be 87009:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/Miscellaneous/Electric-traction-non-Southern/i-pGhmpmL/1/S/M_BR_87009_Euston_CLC-S.jpg

Good detective work people. Digging around this morning for my notes, it says 87009, 30/7/85 at 0255, exposed at f5.6 and half a minute. Can't add any more.

I've added some info to that post.

"descenders" is the typographical term for the tails of 'y' 'p' 'g' etc.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Premium

Gents

I would like to ask a quick question if l may

The last AL5 to enter service, E3095, did so in December 1964. Was she delivered with two pans or one? The Bachmann version of this model has only one pan, and carries Electric Blue livery with SYWP which would suggest that was the condition she entered service. There are two photos of E3095 already in this thread, both taken around 1967 I believe, and in both cases she has only one pan, which suggests if she did enter traffic with two, she lost one quite quickly. 

Can anyone confirm this please?

Many thanks in advance

Bob C

Edited by Blobrick

attachicon.gif20.png

When the N-gin was at the right end of the trains going to Norwich, with one of the best ever EMUs. Chelmsford 85ish.

attachicon.gif14.png

And one in Liverpool street before it was "modernised".

Nice one on the blocks at Liverpool St, Clive. Thinking about it, there was a relatively short period between class 86 use on the GE and the start of rebuilding work there.

Crewe, 1961...

attachicon.gifBR LMR E3008 Crewe 040661.jpg

Lovely, Crewe was fascinating at that time, hardly any mainline diesels but long queues of these waiting for their next job - no disappearing off to the sheds which were largely obscured by smoke. Even the main shunting at this important station stayed in the hands of Jockos well into  1966 or even later.

The blue was delightful and what a shame that it wasn't continued with by British Rail.

Paul

• Like 2

Crewe once more, 1973... newly applied Tops number but the old enamel signage is still in place...

attachicon.gifAL3 Crewe 1973.jpg

Nice one Liz...

attachicon.gifRAIL NEWS June 1974 87 018 & Her Maj crop2.jpg

The last photo has great potential for perhaps a Christmas caption competition in BRM. Prize could perhaps be a OO class 87 when its released by whoever maybe considering it. 

• Like 1

The last photo has great potential for perhaps a Christmas caption competition in BRM. Prize could perhaps be a OO class 87 when its released by whoever maybe considering it. 

Well at least I got a seat, sitting on the floor won't do Philips back any good at all.

I'll get my coat.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Crewe, 1961...

attachicon.gifBR LMR E3008 Crewe 040661.jpg

Totally love these 1960s views.

I think the Electric Blue livery sits very well on these machines. They make quite a striking contrast to the dark soot & begrimed infrastructure of the former steam era in which they arrived in. Its still amazing to see pictures of these powerful machines at the head of "traditional" mixed freights and long rakes of unfitted 16t minerals and Brake van.

Real Railway!!

Bob C

"One's No1 son is going to be slightly annoyed that I got to cab this before him.  There again, if it's not a kettle, he's not really interested.  He really is the squarest young fogey around.  Gawd knows who one is going to find to marry him..."