12 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

A couple of named cl.86's seen in 1981 passing each other at SP depot Wigan.

1-3-2018_052_(4).JPG

1-3-2018_053_(5).JPG

Hi Bob,

I do like the Park Royal Sandite car coupled to what appears to be a Cravens 105 in the top picture.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Bob,

I do like the Park Royal Sandite car coupled to what appears to be a Cravens 105 in the top picture.

Gibbo.

Might have a pic' of it somewhere around here, i'll post it if and when i find it.;)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Southof1E top tmd said:

90036 crosses Bridego Bridge nr Ledburn Jn with 1M16 2046 (27/8) Inverness - Euston under gin clear skies early on August 28th 2015. The "Skoda" is named Driver Jack Mills which is poignant here as this is the bridge  where the "Great Train Robbery" of 8th August 1963 took place, with the mail bags unloaded here. Driver Jack Mills was coshed which ended his railway career but the national non railway media still tend to glamorise the villains even in 2020..

NR 20942068262_d8f29ccbe3_o(1).jpg

Could'nt agree more about the glorification of that event, i once owned an old land-rover and was on a owners web site where the owner of one of those landies used in that violent robbery seemed to glorify the whole event when he posted once, and also when he showed off the vehicle at classic shows, i stated my concerns and got a lot of abuse because i did so, and the fact that the landies were stolen from some once proud owners of them at the time specially for the robbery also washed over his and other forum members heads...he said "well it was'nt the landies fault was it"...i replied.."no but its your fault in the way you are glorifying the event and you are forgetting it actually caused someones premature death through over the top and not needed violence" Something the actual Robbers themselves have admitted since in T.V. interviews.

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

One man’s crud is another’s useful source of information :wink_mini:

Anyway, any idea what those coaches are behind 90038 in the second of today’s pics? They look grey to me. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

One man’s crud is another’s useful source of information :wink_mini:

Anyway, any idea what those coaches are behind 90038 in the second of today’s pics? They look grey to me. 

They are olive green and some sort of test or departmental coaches. Cheers! please make the most of these i'm finished on here at the end of the week for a good long while.;)

• Thanks 2

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 16:38, Rugd1022 said:

Crewe Works, 8th June 1980, photo by Andy Burns....

CREWE WORKS ANDY BURNS 080680.jpg

Looking at this brings back the fond memories of the Sunday visits to Crewe,  Swindon, Doncaster & Glasgow works 1970/80's !

not all on the same day.

Great times in ''British'' Railway Workshops history.

From these went on to 25 years working at Derby Locomotive Works !

thanks

• Like 5

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd ask here....

What colour would the Stone-Faiveley pantograph be when new? What colour would the insulators be? And what colour would the other insulators and pipping on the roof of a Class 86 be when brand new?

TIA

36 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

While I have my hard drive plugged in, here are a couple of units in Longsight. AM10 079 and AM4 020. Not sure what three dots means!

LongsightAM10c1979.jpg.3995f9c4e2af6da76b4f4ccb2b77a221.jpg

Maybe it's driver code for 'this AM10 goes like the wind'? Or could be the opposite 'if the depot offers you this to drive, refuse 'cause it's total junk'? ;)

Or it could be a simple as Jonny suggests!

18 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd ask here....

What colour would the Stone-Faiveley pantograph be when new? What colour would the insulators be? And what colour would the other insulators and pipping on the roof of a Class 86 be when brand new?

TIA

The best I can do, is this blow-up from a photo of E3186 in early 1966; when the loco would have been virtually brand new.   I can't guarantee the colours are spot on, but to me the pantograph looks metallic grey and the insulators are brown. 

e3186_d16xx_45xxx_crewe_1965.jpg.e0956195f94c64d81d59cecf0ab07818.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

While I have my hard drive plugged in, here are a couple of units in Longsight. AM10 079 and AM4 020. Not sure what three dots means!

LongsightAM10c1979.jpg.3995f9c4e2af6da76b4f4ccb2b77a221.jpg

Three dots showed the end with first class accommodation.  Even at the end, when Regional Railways refurbished some to all standard seating as three car units, the wider seating bays were kept and the roof box still showed three dots.

Due to the first class seating there was also one less door per side in the DTC compared to the DTS which was another quick recognition clue.

You can probably tell, as a regular user of the units during the 80s when they turned up on the Walsall line, which was second class only, I had worked out how to get a free first class ride home from my studies at my Perry Barr alma-mater.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

Three dots showed the end with first class accommodation.  Even at the end, when Regional Railways refurbished some to all standard seating as three car units, the wider seating bays were kept and the roof box still showed three dots.

Due to the first class seating there was also one less door per side in the DTC compared to the DTS which was another quick recognition clue.

You can probably tell, as a regular user of the units during the 80s when they turned up on the Walsall line, which was second class only, I had worked out how to get a free first class ride home from my studies at my Perry Barr alma-mater.

Brilliant. I never knew that. 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Even more crud.

Great pic of MENTOR in its original form - still going as part of NR's yellow fleet but has been modified further.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, keefer said:

Great pic of MENTOR in its original form - still going as part of NR's yellow fleet but has been modified further.

Thanks, i much prefer those colours on 'Mentor' than the yellow, i always liked the 24 and 45 in the same liv'.  Rough guess is it dates from 1980-81.:)

• Like 1