Me again...another LSL class 90 jolly ran today using number 2 again, with some carmine & cream and chocolate & cream MK2s, seen at Tamworth:

LSL Intercity 90002 - 5T90, Tamworth

LSL Intercity 90002, Tamworth

And a couple of units, which I hope is ok in this thread but please inform me if otherwise...

Avanti 390047 - 1H21, Tamworth

Royal Mail 325012 - 5A91, Tamworth

All pics from Flickr so click to link.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 16

Today the latest loco in Freightliner's current colour scheme was released from Toton, and it’s very bright!

Freightliner 90014 - Stenson

Freightliner 90014 & 66415 - 0K91, Stenson

(Photos are embedded Flickr links)

This is also the first of the ex-Greater Anglia batch that Freightliner have acquired, and none have yet worked for Freightliner as (I believe) they are to be fitted with freight buffers (class 60/66 type) rather than the more delicate passenger type which can be retracted. The original buffers in the above shots look freshly painted to me though!

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 16

52 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

Today the latest loco in Freightliner's current colour scheme was released from Toton, and it’s very bright!

Freightliner 90014 - Stenson

Freightliner 90014 & 66415 - 0K91, Stenson

(Photos are embedded Flickr links)

This is also the first of the ex-Greater Anglia batch that Freightliner have acquired, and none have yet worked for Freightliner as (I believe) they are to be fitted with freight buffers (class 60/66 type) rather than the more delicate passenger type which can be retracted. The original buffers in the above shots look freshly painted to me though!

Thanks,

Jack.

Hi Jack,

Now that looks to be Jaffa Cake with a lemon twist.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

The orange and yellow are ok but the black stripes don't really go, just make it look a bit clumsy.

Or have the orange and black with yellow ends only, a bit more dull but not so jarring.

The logo's a bit cheesy, the typeface for 'Freightliner' is ok but the overall effect is like a grocery label.

Just noticed too that the livery hasn't really been thought through - it has been applied differently to different classes, due to the loco shapes. If you're going to have horizontal features etc then have them so they match across the fleet.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Jack,

Now that looks to be Jaffa Cake with a lemon twist.

Gibbo.

Reaction seems to be mixed about the new colours, so here's the original triple grey livery, seen on 90047 for the last time on the main line today as it went the other way to Toton for an orange (and lemon) dip:

Freightliner 66415 & 90047 - 0D90, Barrow on Trent

Freightliner 90047 & 66415 - 0D90, Barrow on Trent

Jack.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

Freightliner is owned by Genesee & Wyoming, a U.S. shortline conglomerate, and their livery was originally designed for American diesels. It suits them quite well, they own some streamlined GMs in Australia and they look great. On a Class 90, not so much.

• Agree 1

On 16/07/2020 at 21:55, Jack374 said:

I agree with the sentiments above, the Badger (89), 87002 and the 90s which LSL have done all look superb. There is an Intercity MK3 coaching stock rake under creation too, with a few trailers and at least one DVT repainted at Arriva Traincare at the Crewe CS facility. The locos will look mighty fine with a matching rake of stock in tow/being propelled.

Like many I headed to the WCML (Comberford, Tamworth) on Tuesday to see the southbound ECS led by the 87 and tailed by 90002:

LSL Intercity 87002 T&T 90002 - 5Z90, Comberford

LSL Intercity 90002 T&T 87002 - 5Z90, Comberford

And I stayed a bit later to see the northbound 'Cans', today 86613 leading 86622:

Freightliner 86613 & 86622 - 4M87, Comberford

(All photos are Flickr links so click for more info)

Thanks,

Jack.

Great pictures, thanks for posting them. Please excuse my ignorance, but is there info on the internet somewhere with regards to when and where the Intercity 90 and or 87 will run? They both look brilliant, great to see them running in that livery again. 

All the best,

Dave

17 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Great pictures, thanks for posting them. Please excuse my ignorance, but is there info on the internet somewhere with regards to when and where the Intercity 90 and or 87 will run? They both look brilliant, great to see them running in that livery again. 

All the best,

Dave

Thanks Dave...AFAIK the electrics (currently 86101, 87002, 90001 and 90002) will be used with the MK3s currently going into Intercity livery at Crewe and Eastleigh. I’ve seen the DVT finished and a handful of photos of the coaches finished at Crewe and at least one has been done at Eastleigh seen on Carl Watson's site (search "Carl Watson Railway" on Google).

I reckon they’ll be invaluable in obtaining paths into Euston as the southern WCML is busy enough now and it’s notoriously difficult to path extra workings which can’t go 100mph +. Granted class 47s can, but with load 10+ their acceleration won’t be as good as an AC ‘leccy. They might run a split tour like WCRC's tours which leave Euston behind 86259 then steam or diesel takes over to traverse the S&C, or (considering they run more upmarket tours) may go Euston to Scotland with the USP being travel behind vintage traction/in heritage coaches (just!) with a dining experience.

This is my interpretation as I don’t think anything has been released yet. If nothing else it’ll give the TOC more flexibility to run to the capital and take the WCML (even ECML?) at speed. I’m looking forward to hearing/seeing their plans!

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 2

On 03/08/2020 at 09:21, Jack374 said:

Thanks Dave...AFAIK the electrics (currently 86101, 87002, 90001 and 90002) will be used with the MK3s currently going into Intercity livery at Crewe and Eastleigh. I’ve seen the DVT finished and a handful of photos of the coaches finished at Crewe and at least one has been done at Eastleigh seen on Carl Watson's site (search "Carl Watson Railway" on Google).

I reckon they’ll be invaluable in obtaining paths into Euston as the southern WCML is busy enough now and it’s notoriously difficult to path extra workings which can’t go 100mph +. Granted class 47s can, but with load 10+ their acceleration won’t be as good as an AC ‘leccy.

Thanks,

Jack.

Hmm. With the exception of the Scottish PP 47/7 in very specifically defined situations, class 47s have never been authorised to travel over 95mph.  Yes in the old days there were plenty of reports of this speed being exceeded particularly on the ECML with the 8 coach formations on falling gradients but this was exuberance from some drivers in pursuit of making up lost time and not officially sanctioned.

The plan AIUI is for 100 or 110 mph paths on the southern WCML and nobody is going to think that is a suitable job for a class 47.  Even if they did today's drivers are brought up with a very different mindset to say an ECML top link veteran circa 1975 so any ideas that a driver today would wind it up and "have a go" like some did in the old days is fanciful.  Also unlike the old days OTMR means someone is always watching.  Allowing for all of that, even if you limited the electric to 95mph it would still beat a 47 to Rugby from Euston by a country mile given its much higher power and the gradient profile.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Another Tango Skoda moved back to Crewe yesterday from the Toton Paint Facility, 90047 hauled by 66550 - no orange shed like last time for 90014. This leaves 90048 in grey: the last one!

Freightliner 66550 & 90047 - 0K91, Stenson Freightliner G&W 90047 - Stenson Freightliner 90047 & 66550 - 0K91, Stenson

(All Flickr links, photos taken by me)

Jack.

• Like 13