4 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Just curious why there was an odd class 81/AL1 built in 1964 - so long after the other 24? Assuming of course Wikipedia is correct. 

Was there not originally a plan to have Type A passenger and Type B freight locos which were geared differently. Was that one intended as a Type B loco before the idea was abandoned?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Freightliner 90009 and 90014 'Over the Rainbow' pass through Brighouse on 15th February 2021 with 66951 providing the motive power, working 0E90, 07.52 Crewe Basford Hall to Leeds Balm Road.

60725690_6695190009900140E90Brighouse150220212-RMweb.jpg.6c66b50f9f5819fe07b4d022a411a746.jpg

Not exactly a regular occurrence seeing class 90s along the Calder Valley, but becoming more common as this is the second such working this year.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Sounds like it is the end of the line for the class 86s in normal service the last operational one was put into storage on Wednesday, following a minor compressor fault.  86632 has now been moved to the DHLT pool.

Jim

To paraphrase Mark Twain, "Rumours of the demise of the Class 86 has been greatly exaggerated".  Once freight returns to normal, they'll very likely be reinstated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

To paraphrase Mark Twain, "Rumours of the demise of the Class 86 has been greatly exaggerated".  Once freight returns to normal, they'll very likely be reinstated.

Hi Northmoor,

They could have been used on freight traffic through the tunnel to Northern Ireland, but alas we will never know !!!

Gibbo.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Northmoor,

They could have been used on freight traffic through the tunnel to Northern Ireland, but alas we will never know !!!

Gibbo.

Careful Now!!!

Theres a new article in today's Guardian on the subject (which I'm not linking to) but would just like to say has a cracking photo of Big Water of Fleet viaduct.

Cheers

Darius

Down with this sort of thing!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Careful Now!!!

Theres a new article in today's Guardian on the subject (which I'm not linking to) but would just like to say has a cracking photo of Big Water of Fleet viaduct.

Cheers

Darius

Down with this sort of thing!!!

Hi Darius,

We few, we happy few.

Burned to a Crispin !

Gibbo.

• RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2021 at 20:25, ianmacc said:

Just curious why there was an odd class 81/AL1 built in 1964 - so long after the other 24? Assuming of course Wikipedia is correct. 

That one is a bit of a mystery. They were built by BRCW who stopped loco production in 1962 IIRC. Build / in service dates quoted for the last one E3302 / E3097 in various sources vary from April 1962 to February 1964. I suspect that this is because it was originally intended to have special gearing for freight work but this was found to have little advantage when E3301 entered service so it was stored until converted to the same gearing as the rest of the class. 

• Agree 1

I did ask, ages ago, and no-one seemed to know how the AL1s were delivered from BRCW Smethwick.  I’d assume they must have been towed to somewhere with wires which makes me think of a tatty, heavily weathered Grange or Hall dragging a shiny new electric away from Smethwick.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 20/02/2021 at 08:59, Poor Old Bruce said:

E3059, seen at Crewe, 11 June 1962

411408694_E3059atCrewe11June1962.jpg.83286e861a11718152c26637be5ae0d7.jpg

@Mini Wistaston junctionhey, check this out, three electric pre TOPS locos, what looks like 85s, sat in the bay where the DRS57 lives these days AND what was probably an active steam train to the left of it ...  hard to imagine Electric replacing steam, isnt it ?

20 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

@Mini Wistaston junctionhey, check this out, three electric pre TOPS locos, what looks like 85s, sat in the bay where the DRS57 lives these days AND what was probably an active steam train to the left of it ...  hard to imagine Electric replacing steam, isnt it ?

That certainly was an active steam loco to the left. That's the was it was for a while in the 1960s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 07/02/2021 at 20:31, GordonC said:

Was there not originally a plan to have Type A passenger and Type B freight locos which were geared differently. Was that one intended as a Type B loco before the idea was abandoned?

It was intended to have Type A for passenger work  and type B for freight work , the Type B  locos, were  geared down versions for freight speeds of one of the passenger classes, I think they were to be numbered in the E3300 series. but the locos  became passenger geared  locos.   On a separate issue, the BR Electrification Plan referred to 6 axle locos for freight and 4 axle locos for passenger work,  I have never seen any line drawings of any proposed 6 axle locos for the WCML electrification

• Agree 2

On 24/02/2021 at 10:31, Poor Old Bruce said:

That certainly was an active steam loco to the left. That's the was it was for a while in the 1960s.

The mistake is often made that the chronological sequence was strictly horse / steam / diesel / electric; some simple googling will reveal that electric preceded diesel; albeit in relatively restricted geographical areas and applications.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The mistake is often made that the chronological sequence was strictly horse / steam / diesel / electric; some simple googling will reveal that electric preceded diesel; albeit in relatively restricted geographical areas and applications.

John Isherwood.

Indeed, the wires were in some cases put up with steam locos.

For a long time, the southern end of the WCML at least was maybe not quite diesel free, but certainly majority electric traction by far.

Nowadays it's a much more equal split (or so it seems)!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Pandora said:

It was intended to have Type A for passenger work  and type B for freight work , the Type B  locos, were  geared down versions for freight speeds of one of the passenger classes, I think they were to be numbered in the E3300 series. but the locos  became passenger geared  locos.   On a separate issue, the BR Electrification Plan referred to 6 axle locos for freight and 4 axle locos for passenger work,  I have never seen any line drawings of any proposed 6 axle locos for the WCML electrification

See Class 92 .. only too late arriving ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Indeed, the wires were in some cases put up with steam locos.

For a long time, the southern end of the WCML at least was maybe not quite diesel free, but certainly majority electric traction by far.

Nowadays it's a much more equal split (or so it seems)!

I was thinking more of some of the early electrification schemes - NER, LBSCR, etc., etc.

I think that I am correct in saying that electric traction preceded the invention of diesel traction.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2